EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Browse the web

#2081 Post by BarryK »

FeodorF wrote:If you like to have more than one browser available with EasyOS-2.1.11 you can add the browsers of Moonchild Productions.

One is Pale Moon, latest release: 28.8.0 http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/rel ... _64.tar.xz
and the other is Basilisk v2019.10.31 http://eu.basilisk-browser.org/release/ ... 64.tar.bz2 and http://us.basilisk-browser.org/release/ ... 64.tar.bz2

Both of them can be installed at /usr/lib and run very well with EasyOS. Basilisk is still a beta release.

Further info can be found here http://www.basilisk-browser.org/features.shtml and here http://thereisonlyxul.org/
Thanks for those links, very interesting.

Do you know if Iceape-UXP has the HTML editor component (as it is a fork of SeaMonkey)?

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id ... iceape-uxp
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

lp-dolittle

EasyOS on MacBooks

#2082 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Alfons

thank you for your response!

It's in fact an old MacBook on which I so far unsuccessfully tried to run EasyOS. I cannot find any specific name on it, but it seems to date from 2006, and in the battery-bay I can read a serial No: 4H648PVOWGL apart from another code: 2.02X512/80/SD-DL white-SWM. The precise hardware-info is available in the yesterday's attachment. This report was generated while running Bionicpup64-8.0 on the MacBook.

There is no OS X installed on the MacBook. I replaced it by Raspian, as previously reported (see post from 19 Nov). Since then, I did not manage to access the Mac EFI. I'm unsure whether it was corrupted by the Raspian-installation, but Raspian as well as Bionicpup64-8.0 (the latter booting from an iso-image which I copied onto a flash stick and running totally in RAM) are working perfectly on this OS X-less MacBook.

BTW: An attempt at booting a Fatdog-iso on this MacBook results in the recognition of the DVD, the 'Windows' symbol appears on the screen, but after starting the installation via the Enter-key, the keyboard no longer is responsive and the installation hangs.

I hope this additional information is of some help.

kind regards

FeodorF

IceApe Browser

#2083 Post by FeodorF »

ref: IceApe

'iseape-uxp-1.3/themes/modern/editor/editor.css' shows

/* Multiline textarea for HTML source editing */
#content-source, #doctype-text {
font-family : -moz-fixed;
font-size: initial;
}

so I would say 'Yes'.

FeodorF

Testing 'Easy Buster 2.1.11 xsane 0.999'

#2084 Post by FeodorF »

Used a vintage scanner (1998) for testing 'Easy Buster 2.1.11' xsane 0.999 .

configured /etc/sane.d

dll.conf enabled mustek_pp

mustek_pp enabled Option no_epp, auto probing, scanner mustek-ccd300 *ccd300

Works for me!

ras

#2085 Post by ras »

Hi Barry
You already have that with the "console" container. It starts a terminal, and you can run any app. You can even run multiple apps by appending "&", example "# leafpad &"
When using the console container, Is it possible to specify a different security setting template for an app when run from the command line? ie: something akin to # Ice-Ape -seclevel_3 ?

Thanks for your ongoing improvements with containers. The exploration of different browsers is more comfortable when one can utilize a container to work inside. Having the security options at ones own control seems more 'nix- centric than blindly trusting something like a browser to work well in every possible implementation.
RAS

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2086 Post by BarryK »

ras wrote:Hi Barry
You already have that with the "console" container. It starts a terminal, and you can run any app. You can even run multiple apps by appending "&", example "# leafpad &"
When using the console container, Is it possible to specify a different security setting template for an app when run from the command line? ie: something akin to # Ice-Ape -seclevel_3 ?

Thanks for your ongoing improvements with containers. The exploration of different browsers is more comfortable when one can utilize a container to work inside. Having the security options at ones own control seems more 'nix- centric than blindly trusting something like a browser to work well in every possible implementation.
Those security levels are a work-in-progress. For now, best to just accept the default.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Buster 2.1.9.1

#2087 Post by BarryK »

FeodorF wrote:Hi Barry!

Found one problem while running 'Buster-2.1.9.1 containerized desk'.

The extra characters '@{[]}..’ don't work - ’ÄÖÜß' do. (f.e. WWW, sakura)

Using easy-2.1.9.1-amd64.img.gz and a BIOS dual core box with German keyboard for testing. (Same problem while running easy-2.1.9-amd64.img.gz) At first run/install I'm using '11' for 'de' keyboard.
I have edited /usr/local/easy_containers/ec-chroot, to copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev-puppy.conf into the container. Don't know if that will fix it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2088 Post by BarryK »

Here they are!

EasyOS Buster-series version 2.2:

https://bkhome.org/news/201912/easy-bus ... eased.html

EasyOS Pyro-series version 1.3:

https://bkhome.org/news/201912/easy-pyr ... eased.html

scsijon

#2089 Post by scsijon »

just a note that http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/packages/pet is just giving error 403 and ~/compat gives it on the first attempt but is ok afterwards.

Downloading pyro 1.3 and it's devx now, looking forward to testing sunday when I have my troublesome ssd laptop back, alex is coming across with his too so we can both try it together. His failed with 1.2.9.1 before also and we couldn't work out what was the cause.

Also downloaded the .iso, II have an old cd-drive laptop I can try it in.

FeodorF

USB 3.0 Stick

#2090 Post by FeodorF »

It's a new USB 3.0 stick out of a blister package with a very strange fat32 starting sector.
Haven't copied anything to it yet only looked into it with gparted.

What are your thoughts about it?
Is it an attempt to kill 'Linux on USB'?
Attachments
NewKindOfStick-003a.png
(15.98 KiB) Downloaded 873 times
NewKindOfStick-001a.png
(13.96 KiB) Downloaded 873 times

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 1.3, Buster 2.2, December 27, 2019

#2091 Post by Billtoo »

I did a new install to a 32gb flash drive for use on my HP desktop pc:

Computer
Processor 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Memory 8161MB (393MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Easy Buster64
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu Dec 26 08:48:10 2019

Version
Kernel Linux 5.4.6 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Sat Dec 21 20:06:29 +08 2019
C Library Unknown
Distribution Easy Buster64

OpenGL
Vendor X.Org
Renderer AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.4.6, LLVM 7.0.1)
Version 3.1 Mesa 18.3.6
Direct Rendering Y_es

I've installed a few applications with petget.
No problems so far,
Thanks.

FeodorF

Re: Buster 2.1.9.1

#2092 Post by FeodorF »

BarryK wrote:
FeodorF wrote:Hi Barry!

Found one problem while running 'Buster-2.1.9.1 containerized desk'.

The extra characters '@{[]}..’ don't work - ’ÄÖÜß' do. (f.e. WWW, sakura)

Using easy-2.1.9.1-amd64.img.gz and a BIOS dual core box with German keyboard for testing. (Same problem while running easy-2.1.9-amd64.img.gz) At first run/install I'm using '11' for 'de' keyboard.
I have edited /usr/local/easy_containers/ec-chroot, to copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev-puppy.conf into the container. Don't know if that will fix it.
Sorry, it still does not work, but there is a work-around for it.
Attachments
work-around.png
(22.73 KiB) Downloaded 846 times

scsijon

Re: USB 3.0 Stick

#2093 Post by scsijon »

FeodorF wrote:It's a new USB 3.0 stick out of a blister package with a very strange fat32 starting sector.

I've seen it before with efi formatted drives (reserves directory space) and those with a faulty block, if your worried try wipefs (in an earlier message of mine in this thread) and see what it reports. or does.

scsijon

#2094 Post by scsijon »

Barry,

1- what about a non-x container? The equivalent to not running winx to start with, but in a container, any ideas? Thanks.

2- seems to have a kcc - gcc link missing in dev-x.

regards

Terry H

#2095 Post by Terry H »

Prior to the release of Buster 2.2 I created a new USB Flash Drive (Patriot XT 16 GB) installation of Buster 2.1.11. I created it using EasyDD running from installation on micro SD card via Card reader. I did my usual minimal changes to icons and JWM Trays and added inxi.

I have one strange occurrence on this install. I added a jpg image to /usr/share/backgrounds to use as wallpaper. I applied the wallpaper using Qwallpaper. In this installation the wallpaper reverts to the default.jpg wallpaper on reboot or even restart X. This does not occur on my previous installations including previous installations of 2.1.11, where my selected wallpaper is retained.

I will be upgrading this installation to Buster 2.2 today, as this Flash drive will now be my main install of Easy going forward.

Edit: Just checked using one of the other built-in wallpapers. Changed with Qwallpaper, then Restart X. The wallpaper reverted to default.jpg on restart.

Edit 2: Tried the right click on icon method to change wallpaper. It is still reverting back to default. when I change icon, I am checking PuppyPin which is being updated correctly when I make a change. after restart PuppyPin reverts to default.

Edit 3: Just manually upgraded installation to Buster 2.2. This wallpaper issue is no longer occurring. Wallpaper is retained as set prior to reboot or restart X.

belham2

#2096 Post by belham2 »

Hi Barry,

First, Merry Christmas (and early Happy New Years)!

Hope you're in good health & great spirits this holiday season.

I upgraded my EasyOS USB install from 2.19 (not 2.19.1) straight to this 2.2.

Thanks for 2.2, and I am eager to try the "lockdown" feature. Everything (during the upgrade from 2.19 to 2.2) seemed to go smoothly, replacing vmlinuz, initrd, and easy.sfs, and then clicking on initrd to let it do its thing. All went well.

I then rebooted, and everything seems to work great as well as before except that bluetooth has disappeared out of my tray. So I looked into /root/Startup and was greeted with this (pic below). Does anything look amiss to you? Also, there's two network things competing during startup or am I confused here??

Anyhow, I can't get bluetooth to start no matter what I do. I had to go dig out an old usb wired mouse and wired keyboard so I could type this message.

Much thanks again for 2.2. I'll keep fooling and see if I can get bluetooth working. I am fairly sure I must have did something to make it not work :roll:
Attachments
EasyOS-2-2.jpg
(110.37 KiB) Downloaded 788 times

Terry H

#2097 Post by Terry H »

@belham2

I've done similar manual upgrade today , so thought I'd chime in. My startup directory is same as yours, however my bluetooth is still being started normally. Bluetooth keyboard works, but I still can't get bluetooth sound, but that is I believe a known issue.

FeodorF

Re: USB 3.0 Stick

#2098 Post by FeodorF »

scsijon wrote:
FeodorF wrote:It's a new USB 3.0 stick out of a blister package with a very strange fat32 starting sector.

I've seen it before with efi formatted drives (reserves directory space) and those with a faulty block, if your worried try wipefs (in an earlier message of mine in this thread) and see what it reports. or does.
You are right, it is efi 'reserved directory space'. Using cfdisk shows the real size of it. Had never seen that before on a USB stick.
Applied easydd and Buster-2.2 to it without any problem.
Oh well, this stick is going back to the store. It runs Buster-2.2 in idle mode at 629 MB of used RAM instead of 137 MB like my other Buster-2.2 sticks do.
Attachments
Idle-Mode.png
(8.6 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
HiddenFreeSpace.png
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 766 times
Last edited by FeodorF on Thu 26 Dec 2019, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

Terry H

#2099 Post by Terry H »

OK, so a picture paints a thousand words:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Wallpaper taken from another puppy.
(134.96 KiB) Downloaded 764 times

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 1.3, Buster 2.2, December 27, 2019

#2100 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 32gb SD card with easydd, computer is an Acer desktop:

Computer