Glipper clipboardmanager

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

Glipper clipboardmanager

#1 Post by GuestToo »

Glipper 0.89 clipboardmanager

Glipper sits in the notification area and collects everything that is copied to the clipboard. Glipper maintains a history both of the "copy" clipboard, usually filled with Ctrl+C and of the "select" clipboard, filled when text is selected.

Glipper lets you choose an entry from the history to fill the current clipboards.

NOTE: Icewm requires icewmtray to be running to support Glipper.

Homepage: http://glipper.sourceforge.net/

Screenshots: http://glipper.sourceforge.net/screenshots.shtml
Attachments
glipper89.pup
(18.56 KiB) Downloaded 1354 times
Last edited by GuestToo on Fri 16 Mar 2007, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

That works great, thanks!

I can't count the number of times I've been frustrated after copying text, closing geany and then remembering that I had to leave it open to paste. Now I can just grab it from the glipper app.[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

G2, I notice that you haven't used the latest version -- did you experience problems with the latest?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

the latest version requires some Gnome libraries ... the older version just compiles in Puppy as is, with no extra dependencies needed

i don't know how much extra space the extra Gnome libraries would take, it might not be much, i think it was just the Gnome documentation viewer that it needed

mouldy

#5 Post by mouldy »

Thanks, this is really useful, dont know how many times I've forgotten to leave an application open to paste something from it.

Henry

#6 Post by Henry »

Many thanks, Guest Too!

Puppy now has a real clipboard stacker. I have used Yankee Clipper III for many years in windows and still do. Glipper is just right, and makes real work in Linux much easier. It retains clippings through reboots and auto starts. Both are essential.

Henry

davec51

Glipper

#7 Post by davec51 »

Glipper is great, just what I need since I could never figure out the usefulness of Puppy's native clip stacker.
I wonder if Glipper could be enhanced with a place to put clips that need to be saved permanently?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

by the way, it was RobbH who suggested Glipper ... see: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1113#91113

also, i upx'ed Glipper ... if anyone adds Glipper to a squashfs .sfs file, glipper should be un-upx'ed (upx -d) first, or recompiled ... there's probably not much point in having the executable compressed twice
I wonder if Glipper could be enhanced
this version of Glipper is an older version ... newer versions of Glipper are integrated with Gnome, and require Gnome and Glade libraries

if anyone wants to modify the source of this version, and add functions, and maybe bugfixes, he/she is welcome to do it

adding a button or menu item to pop up a text window using the defaulttexteditor or a similar text widget might work well enough as a permanent place to keep (text) items to copy/paste

maybe there are other clipboard programs which don't require a lot of dependencies, that are actively being developed?

davec51

Permanent Clips for Pasting

#9 Post by davec51 »

Thanks, Guest Too. Your solution is as obvious as it is elegant: I can put a pre-saved leafpad file on the desktop, add to it as I wish, and copy from that to paste anywhere. This doesn't need to be added to Glipper at all. The idea is to behave like the heroes of "Gilligan's Island," and make do with what we have.

RobbH

#10 Post by RobbH »

Thanks for this, GuestToo!

I will try this, although I've moved on to OpenSUSE Linux for the most part. I do appreciate that it was Puppy that got me started as a Linux user, and I know I'll be using it in the future. I've got an old laptop that I'll be putting to work shortly, and I think Puppy will be the perfect tool for it.

While I was still using Puppy, I came up with a shell script and wxbasicscript combination that handled clipboard duties for me, and it worked well enough for my purposes, but it had too many quirks to be offered to the public. I'm sure Glipper will prove to be much more satisfactory, and a great addition to the Puppy toolbox. I trust now it's obvious to all why this is superior to xclipboard? :)

Incidentally, I found Supernotepad to be a great editor for displaying my clipboard history. It has its own history file, called "superpaste" which is a good place to stash clips you want to keep a long time, like boilerplate you'll be using repeatedly.

All the best to a great community!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

Puppy 2.16exp2 has G2's Glipper.

I sent an email to the developers, telling them about our problem
being stuck at version 0.89, but it bounced back with a message
that it is probably spam. This was determined by 'spamcop', but I
don't see anything identifiable as spam in my message -- I sent it
from my email address 'void@dodo.com.au' -- maybe that was
suspicious!
Anyway I can't be bothered trying to resend.

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

Did anyone actually try a later version of glipper? Even though they have some Gnome libs in the dependency list, their website says:
It only depends on GTK+ 2 and not on GNOME libs (optional)
They do seem to think we shouldn't expect a stable version soon though, so maybe 0.89 is better as it seems stable.

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

Ah - maybe an old version of their website was showing up when I looked for some reason. They've just released version one and it is Gnome only and they feel sorry for you if they don't have Gnome.

Dougal

#14 Post by Dougal »

I got 0.94 working.
1.00 is a complete re-write, using Python! So there's no chance of Puppy using any future versions of Glipper...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind