Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#241 Post by jrb »

I have just uploaded precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.1.iso.delta
md5sum = bcb2992311f661f167244f7fe085e2b5

New ISO mdfsum = 107cdc6e1836f9e8e1698f991572f74e

Changes include updates:
  • JWM WindowManagerSettings fixed
    PuppyPackageManager libc6 conflicts fixed
    Rtfed (default wordprocessor) config updated
    Classic mini-icons included
jrb wrote:Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.1.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal. 8)
Not to sound over-confident, but I think Precise-light is pretty well finished (Unless someone finds another huge problem). It runs well on all my hardware. All the programs I use run well. It is my go to OS now. Thanks for all the help guys! :D

sheldonisaac

#242 Post by sheldonisaac »

Thanks a lot, jrb! Should I try to use a savefolder from Version 5.7.1?

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

jrb

#243 Post by jrb »

sheldonisaac wrote:
Thanks a lot, jrb! Should I try to use a savefolder from Version 5.7.1?

Sheldon
I wouldn't. Take a look at /root/.packages/user-installed-packages, that will tell you all the .pets you've installed in 5.7.1. You wont need any of the fix's in this latest version (mk2.1). Everything else you can reinstall. That would be safest.

tommy

#244 Post by tommy »

jrb, your Precise 5.7.2 has taken the place of my favourite puplet that was once taken by Turbopup Extreme...
I'm posting right now from it, I downloaded Firefox 70 using fredx181 portable Firefox script and I have a good browsing experience on a 16-years-old Packard Bell Easynote laptop featuring a single core Pentium M Centrino 1.5GHz and 768 MB ram.

Thank you a lot!

jrb

#245 Post by jrb »

tommy wrote:jrb, your Precise 5.7.2 has taken the place of my favourite puplet that was once taken by Turbopup Extreme...
I'm posting right now from it, I downloaded Firefox 70 using fredx181 portable Firefox script and I have a good browsing experience on a 16-years-old Packard Bell Easynote laptop featuring a single core Pentium M Centrino 1.5GHz and 768 MB ram.

Thank you a lot!
You're very welcome Tommy. Thanks for keeping the old gear alive. :D

Cheers, J

Moose On The Loose

#246 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Could someone create an ISO I can put in a computer, boot it and then straight away browse the internet? Ideally it should be able to go to amazon-prime-video and play a video with my ID.

I just tried the version I was pointed to and there is no browser natively and if I install chrome or firefox it doesn't even start when I next click browse.

I did the delta thing that leads to a ....mk2.1.iso.

For my intended purpose (amazon prime video), I may have to resort to buying a new machine. I am happy with puppy-528 but it won't do the DRM thing that amazon demands.

belham2

#247 Post by belham2 »

Hi Jrb,

Been wanting to get around to try your 5.7.2, finally did a few days ago, and it's wunderbar. It works wonderfully!

I had been trying to get a Racy-5.5 USB frugal-install going, but I gave up on it when pmount could no longer function correctly (Racy's pmount was selectively not choosing to mount USBs that I know are good and working in all other pups/ddogs/fatdogs).

I thus set things up the same with your Precise-Light, and everything, well, it just works. Plus, nearly everything in it is updated!! I really appreciate all the updates you brought to it, I've hardly had to do anything, which is rare in our older pup world.

In Precise-Light 5.7.2, I installed Qtweb browser, have it set up as "spot" and it eerily flies. I then installed the latest version of Palemoon, and it is almost just as fast (though, I have had a bit of trouble getting Palemoon to run-as-spot, as Palemoon-spot works during the session I create it in, but when I go to save it for the next session, somehow on next bootup I get the dreaded "Palemoon error: cannot load or your Profile file is missing). It's ok, if I can't figure it out, I will run Palemoon as root.

The biggest surprise to me, was going to Mozilla, downloading the latest stable Firefox (70.0.1), setting it all up in /usr/lib, and crossing my fingers. I then clicked on Firefox.desktop I created, and boom, Firefox popped up & it is just as fast Palemoon. Soon I was surfing, watching Youtube videos, etc, etc (and if it is possible to watch Netflix in Firefox, boy oh boy, this Precise is going to get heavy use in this household, lol). Only thing I have to figure out with Firefox is how to get sound working, and I think I will just grab Fred's Portable Firefox script and get apulse set up that way.

So, overall, this is by far the fastest, most stable puppy I now own, from boot-up to abusing it. :wink: . All my equipment, from laptops to desktops, is 8-12 years old, and your Precise-Light takes it all with aplomb and asks for more.

Additionally, with this Precise-Light 5.7.2, I will definitely be grabbing it when I rescue (if needed) another pup/ddog/fatdog and/or other big Linux OS I might goof up.

Thanks again!

Moose On The Loose

#248 Post by Moose On The Loose »

belham2 wrote:Hi Jrb,

Been wanting to get around to try your 5.7.2, finally did a few days ago, and it's wunderbar. It works wonderfully!
[... snip ....]
It is good to hear that you have had good luck with 5.7.2.
Have you attempted to play an amazon prime video or any other service like that that requires widevine?
I noticed that you installed firefox from their web site and not via the quickpet or PPM. Is this correct?
My failed attempt at making Precise browse the web was a failure as I explained previously.
Could you, as a favor, use the "pfix=ram" option to boot without your save file and repeat the install of firefox taking notes as you go then put those notes here?
Thanks in advance on that.
The notes plus a link to the ISO you used may make it so I can get it to work for me too. I seem to have the software equivalent to a gardener's "brown thumb". Puppy 4.21 and then Puppy 525 were the first cases of software working flawlessly for me.

jrb

#249 Post by jrb »

Moose On The Loose wrote:Could someone create an ISO I can put in a computer, boot it and then straight away browse the internet? Ideally it should be able to go to amazon-prime-video and play a video with my ID.

I just tried the version I was pointed to and there is no browser natively and if I install chrome or firefox it doesn't even start when I next click browse.

I did the delta thing that leads to a ....mk2.1.iso.

For my intended purpose (amazon prime video), I may have to resort to buying a new machine. I am happy with puppy-528 but it won't do the DRM thing that amazon demands.
Sorry to hear of your problems Moose. I don't build browsers into my ISO's because they go out of date so quickly. :cry: If you look at tommy's post above you will see that he has used fredx181's
Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in
. I have used it and it works quite well in Precise-light. If you don't wish to put it on your harddrive I suggest putting it on a usb stick. You can launch it from there. and it should run fine.

Alternatively I have managed to get the latest Vivaldi and Slimjet running in Precise-light. Am posting from Vivaldi now, works very well except it crashes when I try to print. Requires 11.5 Mb of libs from tahrpup. I have it setup as a portable.

If you're really stuck I have a 123 Mb tahr-light-6.0.5.iso which seems to work with all the latest mozilla or chromium based browsers, but there again I'm not planning on putting a browser in the ISO.

So, first try fredx181's Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in. If that doesn't do what you want we'll see what else we can come up with.

Don't give up on that old machine, Cheers, J :D

jrb

#250 Post by jrb »

belham2 wrote:Hi Jrb,

I had been trying to get a Racy-5.5 USB frugal-install going, but I gave up on it when pmount could no longer function correctly (Racy's pmount was selectively not choosing to mount USBs that I know are good and working in all other pups/ddogs/fatdogs).

I thus set things up the same with your Precise-Light, and everything, well, it just works. Plus, nearly everything in it is updated!! I really appreciate all the updates you brought to it, I've hardly had to do anything, which is rare in our older pup world.

In Precise-Light 5.7.2, I installed Qtweb browser, have it set up as "spot" and it eerily flies. I then installed the latest version of Palemoon, and it is almost just as fast (though, I have had a bit of trouble getting Palemoon to run-as-spot, as Palemoon-spot works during the session I create it in, but when I go to save it for the next session, somehow on next bootup I get the dreaded "Palemoon error: cannot load or your Profile file is missing). It's ok, if I can't figure it out, I will run Palemoon as root.

The biggest surprise to me, was going to Mozilla, downloading the latest stable Firefox (70.0.1), setting it all up in /usr/lib, and crossing my fingers. I then clicked on Firefox.desktop I created, and boom, Firefox popped up & it is just as fast Palemoon. Soon I was surfing, watching Youtube videos, etc, etc (and if it is possible to watch Netflix in Firefox, boy oh boy, this Precise is going to get heavy use in this household, lol). Only thing I have to figure out with Firefox is how to get sound working, and I think I will just grab Fred's Portable Firefox script and get apulse set up that way.

So, overall, this is by far the fastest, most stable puppy I now own, from boot-up to abusing it. :wink: . All my equipment, from laptops to desktops, is 8-12 years old, and your Precise-Light takes it all with aplomb and asks for more.

Additionally, with this Precise-Light 5.7.2, I will definitely be grabbing it when I rescue (if needed) another pup/ddog/fatdog and/or other big Linux OS I might goof up.

Thanks again!
Thanks for the encouraging feedback belham2! I may have to put you in charge of sales and advertising. :wink:

LIke you, my computer collection is primarily >10 years old collected from the recycle center and garage sales. It would average even older but I'm running out of storage space and I've given away quite a few over the years, setup with Puppy of course. I will admit to buying a $400C refurbished i5 a few years ago which I do most of my development work on, but even that's 9 years old now.

Puppy Linux, fighting planned obsolescence!

Cheers, J

jrb

#251 Post by jrb »

Moose On The Loose wrote:For my intended purpose (amazon prime video)
I just setup fredx181's Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in on my harddrive and am using it now. Watched a YouTube video and sound worked flawlessly.

Amazon help tells me:
Prime Video System Requirements for Computers
Prime Video is available via a web browser on a computer running Windows, Mac OS, Chrome OS, or Linux.

Note: Not all Prime Video titles support all features.

To access Prime Video, please ensure that you are running the latest version of one of these web browsers:

Google Chrome
Mozilla Firefox
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Microsoft Edge
Safari
Opera
Prime Video playback is supported on these web browsers. If you are running an operating system other than Windows or Mac OS, playback is restricted to standard definition.
Fred's script downloads and sets up the latest Firefox Quantum 8) so it should work.

If you need help setting this up let me know or refer to Fred's thread.

Good Luck, J

sindi

HP DV5000 cannot run cups setup 'no browser installed'

#252 Post by sindi »

Precise 5.7.1-3 and 5.7.2-2 on DELL Inspiron 1521 (2007) and an HP DV5000 (2006). Both run Precise very well. Wifi and sound work. Sound was muted in 5.7.1 on the HP.

I did not find Pale Moon in the package manager list. (Precise 5.7.1)

Pale Moon 28.8 works, from outside the file system. I point 'pale' script at it. I symlinked 'pale' to 'defaultbrowser' (ln -sf pale defaultbrowser). I can click on Browser to browse.

But in 5.7.1 (on HP) if I try to set up cups it tells me no browser installed.

In 5.7.2 I installed Epiphany (which I don't want). Still 'no browser installed' if I run CUPS setup and I don't see epiphany in the menu. Browse icon also 'no browser installed'.

The DELL won't run Racy (kernel panic). The HP runs Racy but fbcon won't work nor will the vertical edge scroll. Lupu 2016 works but won't run Pale Moon 28. Racy will if upgraded to glibc 2.20, but stopped printing until I reinstalled printer driver. Precise seems perfect for this age computer if it will print.

sindi

Installed Seamonkey, still 'no browser'

#253 Post by sindi »

Seamonkey 1.1.19 installed and showed up in the Internet menu but still 'no browser' when I click on Browser or try to install a printer.

jrb

Re: Installed Seamonkey, still 'no browser'

#254 Post by jrb »

sindi wrote:Seamonkey 1.1.19 installed and showed up in the Internet menu but still 'no browser' when I click on Browser or try to install a printer.
Both the Browser icon and Cups installer are trying to activate /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser which is saying "no browser installed" which is how I set it up.

The easiest way for you to setup cups would be to type "http://localhost:631/" into any of your browsers and that will open up the Cups webpage.

To setup /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser go to the binary for your favorite browser, eg: /initrd/mnt/dev_save/0_common/0_hardrive_apps/palemoon28/palemoon (this where mine is). Right click on the binary and chooce Rename then press Ctrl+a, then Ctrl+v. This will copy the full path to the binary.

Now right-click on /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and Open as text. Edit it to say:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/0_common/0_hardrive_apps/palemoon28/palemoon "$@"
Use the path to your own binary of course.

Both Browse and Cups should now be happy. Maybe I'll have to rethink how I setup Defaultbrowser. :oops:

jrb

Re: Installed Seamonkey, still 'no browser'

#255 Post by jrb »

jrb wrote:
sindi wrote:Seamonkey 1.1.19 installed and showed up in the Internet menu but still 'no browser' when I click on Browser or try to install a printer.
Both the Browser icon and Cups installer are trying to activate /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser which is saying "no browser installed" which is how I set it up.

The easiest way for you to setup cups would be to type "http://localhost:631/" into any of your browsers and that will open up the Cups webpage.

To setup /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser go to the binary for your favorite browser, eg: /initrd/mnt/dev_save/0_common/0_hardrive_apps/palemoon28/palemoon (this where mine is). Right click on the binary and chooce Rename then press Ctrl+a, then Ctrl+v. This will copy the full path to the binary.

Now right-click on /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and Open as text. Edit it to say:

#!/bin/sh
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/0_common/0_hardrive_apps/palemoon28/palemoon "$@"
Use the path to your own binary of course.

Both Browse and Cups should now be happy. Maybe I'll have to rethink how I setup Defaultbrowser. :oops:
Ha Ha, I do tend to do things the hard way. :roll:

If you go to Menu->Setup->Default Applications Chooser, the lower one with the screwdriver and wrench (don't ask me why there are two), you can drag your browser binary or start script into the Browser slot. Click Apply and you have a new default browser. There shouldn't be anything in that slot already, but if there is delete it out first.

Let me know how it works for you, Cheers, J

Moose On The Loose

#256 Post by Moose On The Loose »

jrb wrote: [.... snip ...]
Don't give up on that old machine, Cheers, J :D
I did give up on the old machine. It is now sitting on the garage floor waiting for me to think of what I will do with the parts if anything.

I bought one of those mini-PC things that are about 20cm X 20cm X 2cm.
It now sits switched off and has been that way for several weeks. It turns out that there really wasn't anything on Amazon Prime worth the bother of switching it on and waaaaaaiting while Win10 starts up.

This means that the idea of getting the silly fool thing to boot a good OS[1] has been set aside for a while now. If I can somehow get motivated, I think I will be going back and either working on DOSEMUish or my PuppyBasic3. I did notice that a few people seemed a little interested in each of those so they may be ways I can contribute.

[1] Not Windows but that can do Amazon Prime right out of the box.

proebler

#257 Post by proebler »

@jrb
There is a bug in JWM Tray management.
Try: JWM Window Manager Settings > Tray management > Iconify or Verbose in Pager > choose to iconify.
You will find that it does not work.
The bug is in Line 17 of /root/.jwmrc-tray.
To fix it, change that line from

<TaskList />
to

<TaskList maxwidth="" />
cheers
proebler

edit: there is no space in

<TaskList/>
!
Last edited by proebler on Wed 18 Dec 2019, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#258 Post by jrb »

proebler wrote:@jrb
There is a bug in JWM Tray management.
Try: JWM Window Manager Settings > Tray management > Iconify or Verbose in Pager > choose to iconify.
You will find that it does not work.
The bug is in Line 17 of /root/.jwmrc-tray.
To fix it, change that line from

<TaskList />
to

<TaskList maxwidth="" />
cheers
proebler
Thanks proebler. I have to confess that I don't know what Pager is supposed to do. :? I tried JWM Window Manager Settings > Tray management > Iconify or Verbose and didn't notice any changes. When I made your code change it rearranged my tray icons. Is that it's purpose?

proebler

#259 Post by proebler »

Out of the box, I get variable width as seen at the top of the attached picture.
When I then choose > Tray management > Iconify or Verbose in Pager > Iconify , the tray shrinks as seen at the bottom of the picture and it is then stuck in that view. It will not revert through choosing any of the three available options.

With the fixed /root/.jwmrc-tray, I can choose from the three top views shown in the picture, the tray no longer shrinks.
Attachments
4-in-one.jpg
(72.68 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

jrb

#260 Post by jrb »

proebler wrote:Out of the box, I get variable width as seen at the top of the attached picture.
When I then choose > Tray management > Iconify or Verbose in Pager > Iconify , the tray shrinks as seen at the bottom of the picture and it is then stuck in that view. It will not revert through choosing any of the three available options.

With the fixed /root/.jwmrc-tray, I can choose from the three top views shown in the picture, the tray no longer shrinks.
Thanks for the VERY clear explanation. I just had to try it with no save file. I'm now looking at your condition #4 and you're right, it refuses to change. If I decide to do another upgrade I'll change it. In the meantime I'll put a link to your post on page 1.

Thanks, J