Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 10 Dec 2019, 10:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
FirstRib default WeeDog Linux build system
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 48 of 49 [722 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct 2019, 14:03    Post subject:  

There is now a firstrib00-32-auto.plug and also a firstrib00-64-auto.plug that will build a Void Linux WeeDog OS. This version will set up automatic login as root and activate the graphical desktop. Plus small addition to the menu.

Again the window manager is JWM and desktop icons and background are provided by ROX --pinboard. The file manager is rox-filer. The same few packages are preinstalled as in the original plug files.

Once again this is the link for the plug files and build scripts for WeeDog:

https://github.com/techrockedge/weedog-ZM

The procedure is the same. Create a directory copy the 2 build scripts and the proper plug file to this directory and run them individually or chained by a script such as run_all.sh.

set up a Grub4Dos menu.lst entry or Grub2 if that is the case and boot.

I have also experimented with an Openbox & Tint2 desktop with a Thunar file manager which works well and can be added or built from the start with a modified plug file.

Next step will be to automate the xlunch menu creation at the first run time. And eventually replace the pmcputemp and retrovol with native Void Linux versions for CPU temp and volume and alsa mixer.

Here is a screenshot of WeeDog64 (Void) with some more customization ->

2019-11-09-123833_1280x1024_scrot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   177.83 KB
 Viewed   545 Time(s)

2019-11-09-123833_1280x1024_scrot.png

rockedge

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2019, 21:44    Post subject:  

Also making some headway now on creating a ZoneMinder package for Void Linux (WeeDog) using the xbps-src scripts.

I am looking at template files in the void-packages github and slowly learning by trial and error to get something to build.

So far I am getting many of the dependencies to setup and build but I am not quite sure how to get the main zoneminder source to be in the correct package yet so the build errors out after getting to the zoneminder build configuration
wiak

PostPosted: Mon 11 Nov 2019, 19:02    Post subject:  

Your desktop looks quite polished bow rockedge. Will be great for the Void community if you manage to produce full zoneminder package for their repos.

I'd really love to get back to further WeeDog work but my partner's business needs are currently keeping me swamped with web development related work. Just now it is Hugo static site work, but she is also thereafter needing other ecommerce-type site and this is not my field of immediate expertise... Anyway, good to know you are keeping the Firstrib/WeeDog flag flying!

wiak

tinycore/slitaz: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990130#990130
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 12 Nov 2019, 09:01    Post subject:  

I've built several successful eCommerce sights.......it is time consuming.

Content is the key.....if the content of the site is good almost any ecommerce web site software will do the trick. I've used oscommerce often as well as Magento and some WordPress plugin stuff.

the attention to details is time consuming.

So far the build_ZM.sh script does the best job on Void installing a working zoneminder...but I am getting closer to a successful ZM Void package creation!
s243a

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 15:16    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
EDIT: Have since added petget (files takes from BionicDog64) so I could try "pkg repo-update". Basically just copied over the whole folder /usr/local/petget and then made a symlink ln -s /usr/local/petget /usr/bin/petget/petget. I'm not sure what difference having petget has (and would prefer anyway if pkg was not petget dependent in anyway). I think I needed to use xbps to install bash (with ncurses-base) for petget to work.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1029849#1029849

I think we can remove the petget dependencies of package by utilizing ppa2pup (see post). Scotmann hasn't done this yet in pkg because there was some speed/performance issues with ppa2pup. However jamesbond's awk code seems to fix these speed issues (also in above linked post).

However, ppa2pup, might only work for debian and puppy style repos. I don't know whether or not it works with a slackware style repos.

rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov 2019, 20:50    Post subject:  

I've run into a slight problem with WeeDog and a web server or zoneminder creating writable directories.

for a example when a new camera is added or a current day event directory is created the umask or something is making them un-writable. This is causing problems and I am wondering what is the source of this behavior? Perhaps something in the way the file system is loaded?
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec 2019, 15:14    Post subject:  

s243a wrote:
wiak wrote:
EDIT: Have since added petget (files takes from BionicDog64) so I could try "pkg repo-update". Basically just copied over the whole folder /usr/local/petget and then made a symlink ln -s /usr/local/petget /usr/bin/petget/petget. I'm not sure what difference having petget has (and would prefer anyway if pkg was not petget dependent in anyway). I think I needed to use xbps to install bash (with ncurses-base) for petget to work.

I think we can remove the petget dependencies of package by utilizing ppa2pup (see post). Scotmann hasn't done this yet in pkg because there was some speed/performance issues with ppa2pup. However jamesbond's awk code seems to fix these speed issues (also in above linked post).

However, ppa2pup, might only work for debian and puppy style repos. I don't know whether or not it works with a slackware style repos.

You're correct - ppa2pup won't work with Slack repos, but we have slack2pup in Pkg too ...

As I said already on Gitlab, I _am_ happy to remove the dependency on 0setup (and thus PetGet), but
it requires replacing 0setup with not just ppa2pup (or ppa2pup_gawk, which will soon be in Pkg by default),
but with slack2pup and native puppy repo stuff too ..

So we need a separate branch/PR for this feature called "feature/remove-0seup-dependency" ..

In that branch,

1. we only use 0setup if it exists (for now), and
2. fall back to either ppa2pup or slack2pup, depending on which repo we're gonna build.
3. Plus we need to have something in Pkg that can replace the 0setup stuff that updates Puppy repos
from their ibiblio sources (or whatever)...

Off the top of my head I've no idea how to do it, but it won't be hard.

s243a

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec 2019, 15:34    Post subject:  

sc0ttman wrote:
s243a wrote:
wiak wrote:

You're correct - ppa2pup won't work with Slack repos, but we have slack2pup in Pkg too ...

As I said already on Gitlab, I _am_ happy to remove the dependency on 0setup (and thus PetGet), but
it requires replacing 0setup with not just ppa2pup (or ppa2pup_gawk, which will soon be in Pkg by default),
but with slack2pup and native puppy repo stuff too ..

So we need a separate branch/PR for this feature called "feature/remove-0seup-dependency" ..

In that branch,

1. we only use 0setup if it exists (for now), and
2. fall back to either ppa2pup or slack2pup, depending on which repo we're gonna build.
3. Plus we need to have something in Pkg that can replace the 0setup stuff that updates Puppy repos
from their ibiblio sources (or whatever)...

Off the top of my head I've no idea how to do it, but it won't be hard.

` We've been discussing how to do #1 but it isn't a hard change.
` Regarding #2, I bet we can do something similar for slack2pup as we did (or at least are working on the merge) with ppa2pup.
- I also started working on #3 (see comment), see code:
https://gitlab.com/s243a/Pkg/blob/add__download_pet_repo/usr/sbin/download_pet_repo

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec 2019, 17:01    Post subject:  

Niiiice..
recobayu

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec 2019, 20:16    Post subject:  

Hi Wiak.
I modify the debootstrap_url become:
Code:
debootstrap_url="http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.116ubuntu2_all.deb"
in the file: build_firstrib_rootfs_103.sh and I got this error when I build ubuntu i386.

Code:
I: Extracting util-linux...
I: Extracting zlib1g...
I: Installing core packages...
W: Failure trying to run: chroot "//distro_root" dpkg --force-depends --install /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.27-3ubuntu1_i386.deb
W: See //distro_root/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details (possibly the package /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.27-3ubuntu1_i386.deb is at fault)
sh: 17: /tmp/firstrib00.plug_ubuntu_bionic_i386: apt: not found
sh: 19: /tmp/firstrib00.plug_ubuntu_bionic_i386: apt-get: not found
sh: 20: /tmp/firstrib00.plug_ubuntu_bionic_i386: apt: not found
sh: 22: /tmp/firstrib00.plug_ubuntu_bionic_i386: apt: not found

The attach file is debootstap.log. What is wrong with this? Thank you.
debootstrap.log.gz
Description  real gz file
gz

Download 
Filename  debootstrap.log.gz 
Filesize  3.68 KB 
Downloaded  5 Time(s) 
wiak

PostPosted: Mon 02 Dec 2019, 08:09    Post subject:  

Hi recobayu,

I also tried (very quickly) with the new debootstrap_url:

Code:
debootstrap_url="http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.116ubuntu2_all.deb"

and extract from build process looked like this:

./build_firstrib_rootfs_103.sh ubuntu bionic i386 firstrib00.plug_ubuntu_bionic_amd64

Code:
I: Retrieving util-linux 2.31.1-0.4ubuntu3
I: Validating util-linux 2.31.1-0.4ubuntu3
I: Retrieving zlib1g 1:1.2.11.dfsg-0ubuntu2
I: Validating zlib1g 1:1.2.11.dfsg-0ubuntu2
I: Chosen extractor for .deb packages: ar
I: Extracting base-files...
I: Extracting base-passwd...
I: Extracting bash...
I: Extracting bsdutils...
I: Extracting coreutils...
I: Extracting dash...
I: Extracting debconf...
I: Extracting debianutils...
I: Extracting diffutils...
I: Extracting dpkg...
I: Extracting e2fsprogs...
... etc

I haven't tested the result, but all looks normal to me.

My test build has been done on BionicDog64 system (and I needed to "apt install binutils" so that the required dependency "ar" was available).

Not sure exactly what issue you are having but something to do with this line:

W: Failure trying to run: chroot "//distro_root" dpkg --force-depends --install /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.27-3ubuntu1_i386.deb

dpkg shouldn't be getting used. I guess you don't have ar installed on your system?

wiak

tinycore/slitaz: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990130#990130
gabtech

PostPosted: Mon 02 Dec 2019, 16:28    Post subject: Weedog  

Hi rockedge. Can you upload an iso which you built using the 32 auto plugin. And is the build_zm.sh specifically written for weedog?
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 23:17    Post subject:  

Hello gabtech,

So far I have not made an ISO that is small enough and boots! But running the 2 scripts with the plug file 32 auto will build you a version pretty quickly.

This build_ZM.sh script is designed for WeeDog, BUT you can use it as a guide. I have 2 methods for installing ZM on Puppy Linux, one easier than the other but I have not yet scripted an install and compile build script for Puppy completely yet. For a Bionic install the iconner PPA for zoneminder works well after installing a web server (Apache or sticking with Hiawatha) and a mysql database server
gabtech

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec 2019, 07:32    Post subject: WeeDog  

Hi rockedge,

I ran the two scripts, build_firstrib_rootfs_103.sh, build_weedog_initramfs05_s207.sh with plugin firstrib00-32-auto.plug. Now how do I boot weedog. See attached image for my folder contents.
weedog.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  weedog.png 
Filesize  140.1 KB 
Downloaded  10 Time(s) 
rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec 2019, 11:26    Post subject:  

Hello gabtech,

The directory looks good except where is the vmlinuz-5.X.X_1? There should be the initramfs05.gz and a vmlinuz file to boot.

Are you using Grub4Dos or Grub2 to boot your systems? Open menu.lst which is in the main drive/partition you boot the computer from

Example grub4dos menu.lst entry:

Examples show using (hd0,0) i.e. /dev/sda1 boot partition of harddrive
Change following to the drive boot partition you are actually using
This example is for slow boot device, hence using optional usbwait value
The bootfrom parameter is required and must be accurate:

For grub4dos
Example shows using (hd0,0) i.e. /dev/sda1 boot partition

Code:
title WeeDog Linux (Multi-Distro-Flavour)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /firstrib/vmlinuzX.XX bootfrom=/mnt/sda1/firstrib # optional changes=RAM copy2ram; optional altNN=path2dir
initrd /firstrib/initramfs05.gz

you can remove the build scripts from the directory if you like

just place your WeeDog directory next to the Puppy Linux directory on your boot partition and add the entry to the menu.lst

let us know how it goes!
Page 48 of 49 [722 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: