Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bigpup

Interview: Barry Kauler, Puppy Linux 14 November 2005

#1 Post by bigpup »

Some of the history of Puppy Linux.

How it all got started.

Interview: Barry Kauler, Puppy Linux
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... #interview
This is a very good interview with the developer of the Puppy Linux OS.
Gives some very good insight into why Puppy Linux was developed and why it has continued to develop.

Attachments
puppy-1.0.5-small.png
(34.29 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 15 Nov 2019, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks for finding the interview. It does explain a lot about Puppy even today. Echos of the Butterfly Effect.

belham2

Re: Interview: Barry Kauler, Puppy Linux 14 November 2005

#3 Post by belham2 »

bigpup wrote:Some of the history of Puppy Linux.

How it all got started.

Interview: Barry Kauler, Puppy Linux
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... #interview
This is a very good interview with the developer of the Puppy Linux OS.
Gives some very good insight into why Puppy Linux was developed and why it has continued to develop.

Great find, Bigpup. Wow, talk about the memories reading that brings back.

Right around when that interview was done is when I first discovered Puppy. I do remember thinking to myself: who is this Barry K character? I remember picturing him as some sort of recluse, a coding savant hidden away in the interior of Oz. Only to learn he is an inveterate tinkerer, and world-traveler, backpacking any places I wish I could go.

And to think of all the great people on Puppy's forums who came along over the years, some still here, others gone.

And, even further, to look at where Puppy ended up today, and the offshoots that came along.

Who knows what the future will bring.

Personally, its still quite incredible to me, along with being an endless source of fascination (and pleasure to use the Pup OSes).

Too bad we don't have a top-of-the-page link on the Murga-Linux Puppy Forum Board (this page we all use every day) specifically that has a big, colored button/link designating "Puppy History". I think people would enjoy reading this before they dive into the Pup-verse.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Woof! Woof!
Thanks @Bigpup

Barry Kauler and Guest2 used to answer all my idiot/nooby questions in ye olden days ... yep they did support too.
After getting beyond version 1, Puppy was getting quite sophisticated. However Amaya was a bad dog. Never liked it. I am pretty sure we were not using much of a browser at the time ...
It was interesting to read how Puppy had been developed initially. I had forgotten that ... The 6-8 week development cycle was remarkable. It was not tweaking but quite often new programs, methods and ethos. A new OS

We are Puppy
We have Growl
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 16 Nov 2019, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nitehawk

#5 Post by nitehawk »

Thanks, bigpup,..for posting this.
I "discovered" PuppyLinux at version 3.01. I thought it was magic! At the time I had two very old HP computers (discards from my brother's tech shop).
They would tolerate win98 fairly well,...but they really took off and flew with Puppy 3.01. Besides,..I loved the wallpaper with the guy on his bike trekking through what looked like the Outback.
Fun times,...fun times.