Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Nov 2019, 02:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Firefox muted audio playback
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
rocas58xx

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 17:45    Post subject:  Firefox muted audio playback
Subject description: Simple solution to unmute all videos from Youtube and all web sites.

After installing 64bit Ubuntu Puppy Bionic Beaver, I was so surprised of how it was easy to customize that for some hours I was really happy of how my favorite applications were running so fast until I installed my preferred web browser; Firefox. Install went fine and as usual I test streaming speed and video quality on Youtube. With my disappointment video was ok but the sound? All video playbacks on Youtube and all web sites were muted. Once realized that it was ok with the default Pale Moon browser I made some research on the web. All posts and articles pointed to the fact that Firefox switched to Pulseaudio for streaming sound, so Linux distro’s that use the default Alsamixer for sound playability simply mute all audio streams from Firefox. Pulseaudio is not present on Puppy Linux packages repository but by default Apulse is loaded at boot. As suggested I opened a terminal and input “apulse firefox” and magically after loading my Youtube favorite test video, audio was back. But closing Firefox the terminal window was flooded by system warnings before closing and honestly, using terminal to launch Firefox was not what I thought the best way for a really good Linux OS to launch a web browser. Many workouts on the web suggest to enter Firefox configuration parameters, complicated for most users, but once you update Firefox will they remain?
I found a very simple solution that doesn’t imply the use of manually input the launch commands nor manipulating Firefox parameters as follows;
first open File Manager and navigate to usr/share/applications folder. Find firefox.desktop and open selecting As Text File. At line 153 you find EXEC=firefox and change it as EXEC=apulse firefox then save the file. Opening Firefox from the menu bar will now open and ready to play all your preferred videos. If you want to open Firefox as default browser from Setup – Default Applications Chooser select All and at the voice Web Browser select apulse firefox (not firefox!). Thats all! Now you can enjoy your puppet and all your favorite videos and sounds with Firefox. Tested on UPupBB64 and XenialPup64.
I hope my post was useful. Best regards.
Rox.png
 Description   Rox File Manager
 Filesize   39.45 KB
 Viewed   130 Time(s)

Rox.png

Geany.png
 Description   Geany firefox.desktop edit
 Filesize   54.75 KB
 Viewed   130 Time(s)

Geany.png

Default.png
 Description   Default Applications Chooser
 Filesize   60.77 KB
 Viewed   130 Time(s)

Default.png

bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 20:18    Post subject:  

Thanks for this information!

Firefox has been a big piece of junk, for the last few years, about audio working.
Constant moving target.

I think you are talking about Bionicpup64 8.0
It has Quickpet program for installing some popular programs.
If you had used Quickpet->Browsers->Firefox to install Firefox.
Audio would have worked with no problem.
Well, as of this date it would!

This Firefox is an older version, but it will update to latest version, using the Firefox internal update.

Part of using Puppy Linux, is to help with Puppy Linux.
Welcome to Puppy Land!!

rocas58xx

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 06:18    Post subject:  

Hi Bigpup, the distro is bionicpup64 8.0 and latest Firefox 70.0.1+build1 installed via Puppy Packet Manager. And you're correct Bigpup, I verified after uninstalling my Firefox and loading Firefox 62.0.2_x86_64 using QuickPet that videos play correctly unmuted and using the internal update to 70.0.1 apulse is not necessary. My question now is why the same Firefox version installed from QuickPet works with no help of “apulse”? Confused Also the firefox.desktop launcher is different, much shorter with only ten lines. Maybe it’s better to know what doesn’t work than asking why things work, i'd like to dissipate my doubts.
firefox.png
 Description   
 Filesize   29.82 KB
 Viewed   105 Time(s)

firefox.png

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 07:53    Post subject:  

Hello rocas58xx,

When firefox is installed via quickpet, firefox is being launched via the script /usr/bin/firefox which calls apulse firefox, so apulse is being used. The internal update to latest firefox then keeps this method.

There are different methods of achieving the same successful result. Your idea of editing the .desktop file also works. In Puppy, the .desktop file does not need many of the lines.

rocas58xx

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 17:40    Post subject:  

Hi OscarTalks,
Found /usr/bin/firefox with the entries

#!/bin/sh
apulse /opt/firefox/firefox "$@"

Now it's clear what differ with the two install methods.
Thanks. Very Happy
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 18:38    Post subject:  

@ rocas58xx:-

As you're discovering, there's multiple different ways to achieve the same outcome in Linux.

You can start from the terminal with the apulse command.

You can modify your .desktop file, as you yourself have done.

You can stick a small 'launch' script in /root/my-applications/bin, which does the job of actually starting Firefox, then point the desktop entry to that.

Fredx181, in his FF-Quantum 'portable', and I, with the 68ESR version I based on it, have the apulse libs in a small sub-directory within the portable's directory. These are then called by the 'launch' wrapper script within the portable browser directory, which is what you click on to fire it up.....

Lots of different methods, all with the same end result. In Linux, it's a hell of a lot easier to modify and alter stuff to suit yourself than it is in Windoze..!! Laughing

Mike. Wink

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 18:51    Post subject:  

Bionicpup64 8.0 has just the needed stuff to make apulse work for Firefox.
The Firefox offered by Quickpet was compiled specifically to use in Bionicpup64 8.0.

The Firefox you got from Puppy Package Manager(PPM).
Was probably from one of the Ubuntu repositories.
That one is not compiled, specifically for Bionicpup, but for Ubuntu.
Most of this Ubuntu software works in Bionicpup, but not always, without having to make adjustments for how Puppy Linux works.
Getting software from much larger and complete repositories, using PPM, was a good idea, but not 100% perfect.

Welcome to the issues, of trying to get Linux software packages working, on your specific Linux OS.

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: