Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 10 Dec 2019, 19:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 38 of 38 [563 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38
phredo

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2019, 20:28    Post subject:  

I've used LICK for years on my old Win 7 desktop, putting everything in my C:\ drive. I now want to put several Puppies on my new Win 10 laptop, one of the Puppies on the SD card, and be able to boot into them.

Regarding the Puppy on the SD card: I want to make that card a bit of a "steath" card, so that I can, when I want, remove it from the laptop and not leave any obvious trace of its presence behind. With that in mind, is there a bit of code I could add to the relevant boot document that would, before offering that Puppy as a choice, check to see if the SD card is found, and, if not, not offer it on the boot menu? I realize, of course, that it would not be a perfect "stealth"solution since anyone with the ability could still look at the boot file text and see the card reference, but nothing is perfect.

Another way would be to not use LICKS at all for that puppy, but instead format the card as uefi bootable, install the Puppy on it, and then boot to it using the ESC key to give me the choice of booting from the card, but I'd rather avoid that and use LICKS, if possible. And thanks for all the great work you've done with LICKS!
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2019, 21:47    Post subject:  

Actually, noryb009, while you're considering phredo's request, perhaps you could address a problem I recently encounter.

My objective was to use Lick to install a Puppy (dpup-stretch, but I don't think that matters) to a USB-Key. There was a problem with the Key. Sometimes, although plugged in, it wasn't recognized as being present. Or perhaps the problem was with the USB-port's connections. And, maybe I just failed to observe that the key --which I expected to be the first option-- wasn't present. In any event, rather than installing to the Key, the installation was installed to sda1, overwriting Windows boot installer but failing to create a boot-loader which would boot Windows.

At any rate, perhaps some code to test for the presence of the device, whatever it may be. In phredo's case, if the device wasn't found an alternate boot-menu could be displayed.
noryb009

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2019, 23:54    Post subject:  

phredo:

The simplest way I can think of is have a puppy that is slightly different from one on your hard drive, then manually edit the boot entry each boot. For example, if you have "puppy-123" on your hard drive, you can have "puppy-1234" on your SD card (regardless of the name of the actual distro). You'll need to press "e" on each boot and add the 4 to a couple lines, but it would be stealthy, even if you look at the boot menu.

Otherwise, it looks like grub2 has a bash-like script built-in. Try editing the C:/lickgrub.cfg file (or, if you don't want to mess up that file, you can add a menu item to a testing cfg file:

Code:

menuentry "Test cfg file" {
    search --set=root --file /testgrub.cfg
    configfile ($root)/testgrub.cfg
}

Alternatively, you can just have that cfg file on the SD card. That would tell people that there is a testgrub.cfg file missing, but not what's in it (unless you put that in an if statement). Anyways, grub2 has a lot of ways to do what you want.

mikeslr:

So it sounds like the bootloader was installed in the EFI partition (which is the only place it can really go, unless I want to get into partitioning USB drives, which I don't), and the lickgrub.cfg was on a USB drive? I believe it's meant to always be placed on the partition Windows is on. But regardless, if lickgrub.cfg gets corrupted or something, it would be nice to have a backup. I created an issue to track this.
phredo

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2019, 23:00    Post subject:  

It looks like I have to step back a bit:

When I wrote I hadn't actually installed a puppy (bionic64 uefi) because I hadn't yet obtained an sd card. Now I have installed bionic pup to it (the D: drive), but LINK will not start it. The directory shows up on the D: drive all right, but I get an error message when I choose it on the LINK boot menu. Says it can't find the puppy files.

Using another puppy on the C: drive, I formated the sd card to FAT32, just in case that was the problem. Then I used LINK to un-install and re-install bionic on the D:. Same response.

Is it a problem with Win10 and uefi booting, do you think? On the other hand, I was a bit surprised when I looked at the cfg file that there was no mention in the newly installed bionic pup of the D: drive -- it's code looked just like the code for the puppy intalled in the C: drive. Perhaps LICK was looking for files in the C: drive?
phredo

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2019, 23:02    Post subject:  

Sorry, I wrote "LINK" several times, meaning "LICK", of course.
noryb009

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2019, 23:13    Post subject:  

The cfg file is drive-agnostic. Each boot, it searches all your partitions for certain files associated with a puppy, which makes partition mapping a lot easier (especially from old versions of Windows). So the cfg file is expected here.

You might need to add
Code:
insmod fat

to the beginning of the cfg, but I assumed that it is automatically loaded.

Another thing you can try is to look for the USB from the command line. If you press "c" at the menu, you can run
Code:
ls

to see what devices/partitions it can see. You can then try running commands like
Code:
ls (hd1,gpt2)/

for each of the partitions to see what is in each. If you can't find your USB, grub2/your UEFI might not be picking it up.
linux28

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2019, 00:23    Post subject:  

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116615
/usr/bin/ld: ../liblick/liblick.so: undefined reference to `new_drive_node'
devx_dpupbuster64_8.0.sfs
Try to learn to compile, but there is an error. Who knows the solution? I want to learn to compile, such as this, thank you!

/usr/bin/ld: ../liblick/liblick.so: undefined reference to `new_drive_node'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [test/CMakeFiles/tests.dir/build.make:85:test/tests] error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:222:test/CMakeFiles/tests.dir/all] error 2
make: *** [Makefile:152:all] error 2
noryb009

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2019, 10:58    Post subject:  

linux28: Did you specify a `-j` flag for `make`? Don't do that, there are some issues when you compile with multiple threads. Otherwise, you should be able to just run something like:

Code:

cd build
cmake ..
make

You will still get errors when compiling FLTK, but the tests and CLI will be compiled. Note that the Linux version of LICK doesn't really work, it's just for testing.

Compiling for Windows is a lot more complicated, and probably not a good way to learn about compiling. You would need to compile mingw-gcc, then some mingw libraries, mingw-cmake, fltk for Windows, then compile LICK. It's probably easier to use another distro that already has all the mingw stuff compiled. If you have that, then you should be able to do the same commands as above, but using `i686-w64-mingw32-cmake` (or whatever your mingw installation has).
Page 38 of 38 [563 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: