Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 10 Dec 2019, 10:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Better Documentation
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sat 12 Oct 2019, 14:42    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Is this what you are thinking about?

Puppy Help 101
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321
smokey01 worked on this for Lucid Puppy 525

^ So that, and various other things (puppy site, wiki, github, etc) would be a good place to get the docs/info that we need .. Saved into mdsh template/markdown files ..

Like I said .. I will generate a couple of little demo handbooks for a couple of different pups, so people can see how easy it should be to document lots of puppy releases with nice, consistent, online docs..

rockedge

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct 2019, 10:09    Post subject:  

@sc0ttman

I am a firm believer that Pkg system should be immediately included in stock factory fresh Puppy Linux variants.

I have created a shell script for WeeDog (Void Linux ) that will completely install ZoneMinder fully automated. The goal originally was to build such a script for Puppy Linux Bionic (32 & 64 bit) but there was always some problem installing packages and dependencies needed for a functional LAMP or LHMP and the zoneminder package. But now Pkg manager makes this possible and I hope to have a working example for Bionic soon. With Void the xbps package manager is outstanding and and was written from scratch and the OS is built around the package manager. Adding Pkg to Puppy Linux brings a very powerful manager into play. Just being able to add the 3rd party ZoneMinder repository made me a immediate fan of Pkg. I am very appreciative of the work, thought and actions that bought the program to production level.

I do use mdsh more now in the process of writing all the documentation that goes along with auto build scripts and customized plugins that are involved with the FirstRib -WeeDog project. The hardest part is producing clear documentation for build recipes and how-to's that go along with all of it. In WeeDog I use cutemarked and I for one am glad that mdsh for Puppy Linux gives me a similar tool.

I see more and more documentation being generated using this platform : https://readthedocs.org/

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct 2019, 15:21    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
@sc0ttman

I am a firm believer that Pkg system should be immediately included in stock factory fresh Puppy Linux variants.

Cheers.. Once we finally fix the slow dep resolution, I think it will be a nice thing to have..

Quote:
Adding Pkg to Puppy Linux brings a very powerful manager into play. Just being able to add the 3rd party ZoneMinder repository made me a immediate fan of Pkg. I am very appreciative of the work, thought and actions that bought the program to production level.

Thanks very much.. Maybe you could use Pkg is auto-create an SFS of the zone minder stuff, then use Pkg to create a repo at which you host it... (Free hosting at github for repos less than 1GB IIRC)...

Quote:
I do use mdsh more now in the process of writing all the documentation that goes along with auto build scripts and customized plugins that are involved with the FirstRib -WeeDog project.

mdsh is still in alpha stages I reckon ... But should work fine (slow but fine) if you don't try anything too exotic Wink

Quote:
In WeeDog I use cutemarked and I for one am glad that mdsh for Puppy Linux gives me a similar tool.

...hopefully...

Quote:
I see more and more documentation being generated using this platform : https://readthedocs.org/

I just made, and attached a super simple html shell/example which kinda rips off the readthedocs layout/style (a bit) .. if you wanted it..

I might use it as a "documentation" theme in mdsh ..

index.html.gz
Description  fake .gz, rename..
gz

Download 
Filename  index.html.gz 
Filesize  3.21 KB 
Downloaded  45 Time(s) 

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov 2019, 12:06    Post subject: a more consistent timeline of releases
Subject description: for devs and users

We should have docs online somewhere that tell users about intended "official release" cycles,
which versions are "supported" and which are not..

This requires us to work out what our policy actually is.

Here are some suggestions.. Discuss...

Policy on "Official releases":

I say we try to release an official release every two years.

A fairly fixed two year release cycle would be good:

- predictable for users
- gives us some (fairly) fixed release deadlines / timelines
- helps to keep puppy current and up to date

Each official release could/should have as a "definition of done":

- 32 bit version
- 64 bit version
- passed user testing:
-- works with frugal install
-- works with full install
-- boots to desktop
-- working on target devices:
---- audio
---- video
---- ethernet
---- wifi
---- samba
---- printing
---- bluetooth
---- mounted drives (exfat, ntfs, fat32, f2fs)

It's no secret I think we should offer different "flavours" on release too - JWM, LXDE,
Xfce, etc - all at the same time. But leave that for now..

I guess ARM based Pups would be irregular or "not fit" in many ways, but hopefully
with 01mickos work, when could endevour to always include an "official" ARM release along with
the 32 and 64 bit official releases.

Policy on "Community Editions"

A "community edition" could/should always just be a re-release of an official version,
about a year later, with latest Woof-CE fixes, forum contributions, and a few more apps
installed by default.

Community Editions could differentiate themselves from "official" releases in that they have:

- extra "puppy-xxx-contrib" repo installed by default, (containing packages made by users after the official release)
- latest woof-ce codebase
- updated program versions and libs
- manual bug fixes & tweaks from end-users, testers, forum
- more default programs added
- therefore, a bit more "user friendly" than a regular Puppy

The extra repo and programs would be nice to add as after an official release cos
users often create lots of great PETs and SFS packages after a Puppy is released,
and these can easily be added to a user contributed "contrib" repo, which get included
in a CE version by default (using Pkg, anyway Wink ).

They could be the "conventions" that make CE releases stand out from regular releases.

The timeline

So, every two years (or so) there would be an official release.

There would (usually) be a "community edition" of the official release, one year later,
to extend it's life a little.

.. This would be a nice schedule, because:

- it's reliable, predicable
- easier to work out what new releases are coming
- makes working out which versions of "official" and which are not MUCH easier
- users can stick with official releases, changing every two years
- users can stick with CE releases, changing every two years
- users can update every year if they wish, from official -> CE -> official

. Just a thought, I know it's like herding cats here... But if we had a calendar or intended
calendar, then devs can try to plan ahead together a little easier.

About which versions are "supported" and which are not:

A version still being "supported" means that it is still receiving updates/bug fixes of some kind,
or has a active forum thread.

Anything older than 4 years, we don't support - we don't make new packages for it, back port
bug fixes to it, etc - we simply forward users of these older versions to forum threads.

NOTE: many of these suggestions are already somewhat puppy traditions or informal conventions ..

Maybe we can hash them out and create some docs somewhere that make it all a bit
clearer for everyone?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov 2019, 19:31    Post subject:  

Have added the information here:
http://wikka.puppylinux.com/ProjectStatement

Cool

Do or Do not. There is only Try Puppy.
Puppy Master Yoda

Page 2 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: