Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Nov 2019, 09:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Studio 13.37 - "Memories"
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
wiak

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug 2019, 18:45    Post subject:  

Still out there? studio usb stick seems a bit different though:

https://sites.google.com/site/laser3dental/products-and-services/unleash-your-productivity-with-laser3dental-studio-13-37

Quote:
thanks to the power of open source technology! Boot up any computer with the laser3Dental studio usb key insterted, and you will have access to the full professional quality dental applications you and your community need to provide the best care anywhere in the world!

wiak
doctor-surgeon-dentist-flash-drive-usb-memory-stick-pd043.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   9.13 KB
 Viewed   444 Time(s)

doctor-surgeon-dentist-flash-drive-usb-memory-stick-pd043.jpg

tinycore/slitaz: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990130#990130
cthisbear

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2019, 08:02    Post subject:  

Downloads are still here.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByUDhE3nQF8uQWVUTWY4cEJmaXM

Studio 13.37 2.4

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111440

studio_1337-dvd-64bit.iso (827.6MB

studio_1337-lite-32bit.iso (467.9MB)

"Studio1337-v2.4.iso (1.2GB)

I only noticed this because of this post about Studio.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116775

:::::::::::::

Thanks again to l0wt3ch

Cheers...Chris.
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct 2019, 01:32    Post subject:  

What a lot of people don't seem to remember, and nobody talks about, is that back in the day Linux wasn't just an "OS choice" - we were trying to bring in a full-fledged technological revolution. We saw Microsoft as an evil corporate entity, with Bill Gates as the friendly poster boy, that not only dominated the entire PC world, but ate up all the little companies, stifling innovation. We felt that by using Linux and getting others to use it, we would eventually reach critical mass, and Linux would become the new normal. (After all, why would anyone pay hundreds of dollars when they could use something that did the same things for free?) Linux wasn't seen as just another consumer option, we regarded it as a radical solution - made by small anarchist Internet hacker communities, with hacker street cred and fame as their only reward. We wanted to overthrow the existing tech monopolies and bring in a spirit of Freedom. That's why "Linux evangelists" were a thing. We were trying to bring a new era of technological freedom to the world. Every new user was a step toward that goal.

That was before the whole scene got co-opted by corporations like Google and Canonical, with their spyware, restrictions, etc. Kinda took the fire out of the whole movement, and the Revolution kind of fizzled out.

Or did it? 😉
rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct 2019, 14:27    Post subject:  

good points
geo_c

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2019, 19:59    Post subject:  

Well I can tell you one thing. Revolution or not, I have not had to fire up a Windoze machine in the last 6 months. My puppies do it all.
rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2019, 21:16    Post subject:  

working with some developers I needed to test the Edge browser if it can stream live video from ZoneMinder. So after 8+ months of not using anything MicroSoft , I booted Windows 10.

Turns out the Edge browser still can not handle live mpeg streams and Windows 10 was shutdown again until tax time,
miriam

PostPosted: Thu 31 Oct 2019, 06:24    Post subject:  

Great to revisit Studio. I installed Puppy Studio on a few machines. It was impressive. I still have it on one of my machines. (I get given old dead computers which I resurrect and install Puppy Linux on.) Always wanted to buy Studio, but could never really spare the money -- always more pressing demands on my funds, living below the poverty line.

I notice the website http://studio1337.pro is still there with the products. I am soooo tempted. Maybe next month as a Xmas present to myself. This November I can't be distracted by delving into a delicious new thing; I just HAVE to finish my latest novel. (Anybody read SF stories? All mine are free at http://miriam-english.org Yep, that's why I live below the poverty line. Smile )

Memories.... [cue dreamy music]...

I have an enormous collection of different kinds of Linux and have Puppies going back many years.

My first computer I built with soldering iron and discrete chips way back in the time of the dinosaurs. It had 2K of RAM (at the time I thought, how will I ever use all that?!) and saved data on cassette tape. It didn't have separate display circuitry, but used a trick of the old Z80 CPU intended to refresh dynamic RAM by rippling through addresses, but instead used this to send RAM data via a character generator ROM to a TV.

Since then I've had many computers. My favorite was the Amiga (I still have an Amiga emulator on my Linux desktop machine for when I need it).

I had to use Microsoft Windows for work, but read about Linux in its early days and was completely won over.

Over the years I tried lots of different distros -- Red Hat, Debian, Mandrake, and more, until somebody gave me a CD with an early version of Puppy on it at a computer club. For about a year I had 2 main desktop computers -- one with Microsoft Windows and the other with Puppy Linux. The Windows machine gradually got used less and less and the Puppy one more and more.

What do I use my Puppy Linux machine for? Writing novels, short stories, plays, and articles (mostly using Geany and some tiny helper applications I created), doing artwork (mostly using Gimp), building 3D virtual worlds (using Blender3D), and a little bit of audio work (mostly using Audacity).

l0wt3ch, are you still developing Studio? Best wishes for the future.

geo_c

PostPosted: Mon 04 Nov 2019, 00:37    Post subject:  

Right now I have 4 computers all with dual frugal installs on separate linux partitions, one copy of upupBionic and one copy of Studio 1337. I flip back and forth depending on what type of work I'm doing.
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 15:36    Post subject:  

miriam wrote:
l0wt3ch, are you still developing Studio? Best wishes for the future.

I'm still here! Thanks Smile You also.
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: