LxPupSc: Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE build 13-Jun-2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#1241 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Marv: Puppy has a simpler way to restart X. I have posted a new version above.
Got it. 1.9 uninstalled, 1.9.1 installed and run through its paces. Looks good.

The one thing I do miss from the synaptics drivers' bewildering array of options on this machine is the ability to set the touchpad pressure as on this hardware the pad is quite a bit too sensitive, particularly when using two finger scrolling. Presently not an option with libinput and the pretty clearly won't be added to it.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rcrsn51

#1242 Post by rcrsn51 »

Marv wrote:Presently not an option with libinput and the pretty clearly won't be added to it.
I'm guessing that it would be impossible to support that kind of option across all the non-synaptic touchpads, so they didn't try.

[Edit] I did find something called "quirks" that lets you fine-tune a touchpad.

[Edit-edit] Read here. Apparently, some Synaptics touchpads have a "fingers" option that you can set.

But none of mine had it. Maybe because the libinput driver doesn't recognize it.

rcrsn51

#1243 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Marv: I have posted a new version with a Props button.

It shows you the available touchpad properties, their current status and their default status.

This removes some guesswork over what options you need to select.

For example, turning on tapping should automatically get you clickfinger and two-finger scrolling.

peebee

#1244 Post by peebee »

Kernel Release: 5.3.7-lxpup64
Build Date: Fri Oct 18 07:19:15 BST 2019
Build GCC: 9.2.0
OS Support: GNU/Linux
Architecture: x86_64
SMP Enabled: Yes

Needs firmware (e.g. in fdrv)

From Here
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#1245 Post by Marv »

@peebee: kernel 5.3.7-lxpup64 swapped into LxPupSc 19.09 +5. All system checks and mem/ssd throughput look good. 1% CPU and 164 Mb reported by lxtask at idle. Early loading of microcode is sucessful and mitigation is

Code: Select all

l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion
mds:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling
Video FPS also good. I'll use it as the daily under the current LxPupSc

@rcrsn51: version 1.9.2 of touchpad-puppy looks great. Probably should have its' own thread. I see it as a viable flsynclient replacement in newer pups since the the synaptics driver pretty much isn't the default there any more. On the touchpad sensitivity issue, AccelProfile doesn't show in the props for my touchpad but I have experimented with flat and adaptive modes and my touchpad does settle better at the end of a move with the flat mode. Currently using

#    Option "AccelProfile" "adaptive"
      Option "AccelProfile" "flat"  
      Option "AccelSpeed" "0.10"
Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rcrsn51

#1246 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent! So you can just set a touchpad speed, then add the "flat" option to 41-libinput.conf?

Marv

#1247 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:

Excellent! So you can just set a touchpad speed, then add the "flat" option to 41-libinput.conf?
That is how I did it but I then rooted around in the Archwiki entry pertaining to libinput and touchpad acceleration control and did some careful tests on my pad. In libinput world, pads that support "AccelProfile" should just force a speed of 0.0 for "flat" while "adaptive" just uses a different touchpad to screen mapping to get the speed. Not true acceleration as we were used to in the synaptics driver at all but more just a different overall mapping factor. So after a second look the AccelProfile seems redundant. As I see it right now, speed does all that the libinput driver is capable of. Leave 1.9.2 as is. With the supported props listed and the view capability it is very simple and fast to add a supported option not in the GUI list. Learning as I go coming from synapticsworld.

rcrsn51

#1248 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. I set up a mouse with the "flat" profile and I really couldn't see any difference.

It actually listed Acceleration Profiles in its properties.

peebee

#1249 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is a Puppy version of Touchpad.
Many thanks @rcrsn51

Do you think it should be renamed? It has much wider applicability than just touchpad and as you say is libinput specific.

The screen rotation facilities are potentially dangerous as they can lead to formats that cannot be reversed out of. Perhaps they should have a confirmatory "Are you sure you want to do this" dialog before activating the change?

Attached is a mod to make the SCT frame dependent on the availability of sct in the build for your consideration.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
touchpad-false.gz
(10.27 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rcrsn51

#1250 Post by rcrsn51 »

Feel free to fork the project into anything you want.

peebee

#1251 Post by peebee »

Kernel Release: 5.3.8-lxpup64
Build Date: Tue Oct 29 09:35:53 GMT 2019

From Here

Marv

#1252 Post by Marv »

Kernel Release: 5.3.8-lxpup64 swapped into LxPupSc 19.09 +5 on the usual i5 based Fujitsu S761. Clean boot and run, suspend and resume fine, All the usual system and Dmesg checks are good. Mem and SSD throughput continue to be excellent, as do idle resource use and video FPS. Early microcode working and mitigation unchanged from 5.3.7.
Have been using it for a day or so now, no CD/DVD or netflix but lots of youtube and the usual sylpheed email and some images run through mtpaint. Just normal daily stuff but it seems solid. Touchpad set up pretty much as I like it under libinput, only the acceleration behavior isn't quite what the synaptics driver had but I know that is one thing that the libinput developer continues to work on.

Thanks,

peebee

#1253 Post by peebee »

Kernel Release: 5.3.9-lxpup64
Build Date: Thu Nov 7 07:15:25 GMT 2019

From Here

Marv

#1254 Post by Marv »

Kernel Release: 5.3.9-lxpup64 plugged into LxPupSc 19.09 +5 running as a frugal Grub4Dos install on the i5 based workhorse Fujitsu S761 laptop. All the usual tests run, see 2 posts up, with no problems or major changes seen. Suspends and resumes correctly, touchpad mappings ok, I continue to run Slimjet 24.0.5.0 run-as-spot from SFS as my browser with no issues. Just normal use for a day now. Seems fine from here.

I also plugged that kernel into LxPupSc64 19.06 +3 and have no problems with it there either. Rolled a 64b Slimjet 24.0.5.0 run-as-spot SFS for the 64b LxPupSc and that is fine also. No crashes in a short run. For now, the 64b LxPupSc still has the synaptics-libevent driver transition problems with button mapping after suspend so I am not using it much other than to check kernels in it.

Cheers,

peebee

#1255 Post by peebee »

19.09+6 is available - see posts #1 and #2

Woof-CE updates & Slackware Current updates

peebee

#1256 Post by peebee »

Kernel Release: 5.3.10-lxpup64
Build Date: Sun Nov 10 17:48:47 GMT 2019

From Here

Marv

#1257 Post by Marv »

5.3.10-lxpup64 kernel swapped into the 19.09 +6 installs on the Fujitsu laptop. Both LxPupSc and LxPupSc64 done. No issues at all doing my usual checks in either. I'm using LxPupSc64 with it as my daily for a bit now.

Cheers,

peebee

#1258 Post by peebee »

Kernel Release: 5.3.11-lxpup64
Build Date: Wed Nov 13 07:17:24 GMT 2019

peebee

#1259 Post by peebee »

Kernel Release: 5.3.12-lxpup64
Build Date: Thu Nov 21 07:24:17 GMT 2019

Marv

#1260 Post by Marv »

Kernel Release: 5.3.12-lxpup64 swapped into my LxPupSc and LxPupSc64 19.09 +6 installs. System, installs, and tests exactly as in my previous kernel tests above. Tests all look good, no issues in a days use. Early loading of microcode continues to work properly. I updated the microcode file with the latest available but the code for the Sandy Bridge (2nd gen I5) wasn't updated therein so mitigation remains unchanged.

Thanks,