How to copy text to Rxvt console?

Booting, installing, newbie
bruc33ef

How to copy text to Rxvt console?

#1 Post by bruc33ef »

Could someone please walk me through setting up the gpm command with Puppy, or is there some better way to set up Puppy to copy text to the terminal?
Many thanks.

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

I don't know if I understood your question.

You can just copy the text from wherever and paste it in rxvt/mrxvt using "Shift-insert".
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

bruc33ef

#3 Post by bruc33ef »

Tried that but it didn't work, so I figured you must need to do something with gpm. I could have a keyboard issue which I'll see if I can track down. Thanks!

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

Did you customized your "/root/.mrxvtrc" file or used a customized one?

I remember having that problem once when I started using a .mrxvt file I downloaded from somewhere.

Try renaming your /root/.mrxvtrc file to see if using the defaults the text paste works.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

gpm lets the mouse work when you are in text only mode ... that is, when X is not running at all

rxvt is an X application that emulates a text mode terminal in an X window ... so gpm would have nothing to do with rxvt

to copy text to the clipboard, you hold the left mouse button down and "select" the text with the mouse cursor ... the text is automatically copied to the clipboard

to paste in an rxvt window, you just click the middle mouse button (the mouse wheel)

there is another clipboard ... you copy by selecting the text and pressing ctrl+c, you paste by pressing ctrl+v ... this does not work with rxvt

Puppy has a program running in the background that combines the two clipboards, but it may not always work

another thing, there are various applications, using different support libraries, and some applications will not paste to certain other applications ... as a workaround, sometimes you can copy from one application, paste to, for example, a leafpad or geany window, then copy from the leafpad window and paste in the second application ... usually, this is not necessary, but sometime that is the only way to do it

usually, with rxvt, you just select the text with the mouse, then click the middle mouse button to paste

Nathan F

#6 Post by Nathan F »

If you have a three button mouse, highlight the text you want and press the middle button in the term window to paste. It works with a scrollwheel mouse also, by pressing the scrollwheel like a button. For two button mice press both buttons simultaneously.

Gpm has absolutely no effect on X terminals, only the linux console running undeneath X windows. There is a gpm package for Puppy available through the package manager which works just fine, but you have to start the gpm daemon manually.

Code: Select all

gpm -m /dev/mouse -t ps2
Replacing ps2 with the correct protocal, imps2 for usb, and I'm not sure for serial mice. Once it's running you can copy and paste just the same as in rxvt, just highlight the text and use the middle button to paste.

It takes some getting used to but works flawlessly once you get the hang of it.

And GuestToo beat me to the punch.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

is it rxvt or aterm you are having trouble with? ... aterm does not seem to accept text copied from Geany ... aterm does seem to accept text copied from Leafpad

trapster

#8 Post by trapster »

My aterm is taking copies from leafpad and geany just fine with the "middle" click.
Using a laptop and clicking both left and right at the same time.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

bruc33ef

#9 Post by bruc33ef »

Thanks for setting me straight on gpm; I'm using rxvt and whatever the problem is I see now that gpm can't be it.