(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Sep 2020, 17:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Yandex browser 64 bit
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Author Message
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 2022
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Mon 07 Oct 2019, 03:09    Post subject:  Yandex browser 64 bit  

https://browser.yandex.com/

I'm using it in ScPup 19.09+3 32 bit with the 64bit-compatibility sfs. It works great. Very useful the just in time traduction of sites. Built-in ad-block. Is it chromium based? To use it as root:

Code:
/path-to/yandex/yandex-browser-beta --no-sandbox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 2022
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb 2020, 12:56    Post subject:  

It can be portabilized. Extract /opt/yandex/browser-beta dir from the deb package in /mnt/home and rename the dir as for example /mnt/home/yandex_64. Put in that dir a yandex-pup file with the following content:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper-script to launch Yandex browser beta
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
#
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
#
run-as-spot "$HERE/yandex-browser-beta" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --disable-infobars "$@"


and make it executable. Clicking on it starts the portabilized yandex browser with spot user (credits to MikeWalsh and fredx181).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linux28

Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 271

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2020, 23:11    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
It can be portabilized. Extract /opt/yandex/browser-beta dir from the deb package in /mnt/home and rename the dir as for example /mnt/home/yandex_64. Put in that dir a yandex-pup file with the following content:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper-script to launch Yandex browser beta
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
#
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
#
run-as-spot "$HERE/yandex-browser-beta" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --disable-infobars "$@"


and make it executable. Clicking on it starts the portabilized yandex browser with spot user (credits to MikeWalsh and fredx181).

Still not working
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linux28

Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 271

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2020, 23:12    Post subject: Re: Yandex browser 64 bit  

watchdog wrote:
https://browser.yandex.com/

I'm using it in ScPup 19.09+3 32 bit with the 64bit-compatibility sfs. It works great. Very useful the just in time traduction of sites. Built-in ad-block. Is it chromium based? To use it as root:

Code:
/path-to/yandex/yandex-browser-beta --no-sandbox

yandex-browser-beta --no-sandbox

Works, but prompts every time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 2022
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2020, 01:11    Post subject:  

linux28 wrote:
watchdog wrote:
It can be portabilized. Extract /opt/yandex/browser-beta dir from the deb package in /mnt/home and rename the dir as for example /mnt/home/yandex_64. Put in that dir a yandex-pup file with the following content:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper-script to launch Yandex browser beta
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
#
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
#
run-as-spot "$HERE/yandex-browser-beta" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --disable-infobars "$@"


and make it executable. Clicking on it starts the portabilized yandex browser with spot user (credits to MikeWalsh and fredx181).

Still not working


Post your output of the console command:

Code:
/mnt/home/yandex_64/yandex-pup


Working here with ScPup64-20.01+2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linux28

Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 271

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2020, 05:37    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
linux28 wrote:
watchdog wrote:
It can be portabilized. Extract /opt/yandex/browser-beta dir from the deb package in /mnt/home and rename the dir as for example /mnt/home/yandex_64. Put in that dir a yandex-pup file with the following content:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper-script to launch Yandex browser beta
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
#
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
#
run-as-spot "$HERE/yandex-browser-beta" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --disable-infobars "$@"


and make it executable. Clicking on it starts the portabilized yandex browser with spot user (credits to MikeWalsh and fredx181).

Still not working


Post your output of the console command:

Code:
/mnt/home/yandex_64/yandex-pup


Working here with ScPup64-20.01+2.


This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
Failed to create /home/spot/.cache/mesa_shader_cache for shader cache
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 2022
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2020, 05:41    Post subject:  

Open a console and type:

Code:
chown -R spot:spot /mnt/home/yandex_64/PROFILE


Click then again on /mnt/home/yandex_64/yandex-pup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linux28

Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 271

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb 2020, 04:51    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
Open a console and type:

Code:
chown -R spot:spot /mnt/home/yandex_64/PROFILE


Click then again on /mnt/home/yandex_64/yandex-pup.


Still not working, can you write a script directly, and then make it as a pet, can I download it and install it directly?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 2022
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb 2020, 09:41    Post subject:  

yandex_64.tar.gz:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17rDbMln68jTcf-HF8ybq-gPwNbElGZ18/view?usp=sharing

Extract the archive where you want and run yandex-pup inside it by clicking on it. This version runs yandex without sandbox and as root with portable PROFILE. I cannot replicate my install running as spot and with sandbox because I have used an existing PROFILE. With an already created PROFILE you can change to spot the ownership of the PROFILE and run yandex as spot and with sandbox by changing yandex-pup as explained in a previous post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 6397
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb 2020, 10:13    Post subject:  

Here's a 'portable' package of the Yandex browser that runs as root.

I've upgraded libffmpeg to a modern version that supports H264, and added-in the contents of the self-contained libs directory originally developed for Chrome. I know this is a bit bigger than most of the 'portables' I've done recently, but there is one hell of a lot of Russian-related stuff coded directly into the browser itself, all of which needs disabling...

One thing I do like about this is that it'll let you switch themes back to the older style of 'sloped' tabs from earlier versions of Chromium. It's one of the few things I do miss in current releases.

Anyway, for those of you willing to risk it, here's the download location:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q8I7uop4TjMw5Y4gT_ZzEVwMu3bfHqXj/view?usp=sharing

MD5 - 7f0604e754e2307cf49ea36abfbbe9fe

Sha256 - 7c441b0cf43dc79c44d51814410aec9c0eefa25e10629a93bf146f0ca02f1179

------------------------------------------

Same as always; unzip, move anywhere you want. Click to open, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.

Thanks to watchdog for demonstrating this one's possible!

Have fun.


Mike. Wink

_________________
MY 'PUPPY' PACKAGES

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 6397
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb 2020, 10:15    Post subject:  

@ watchdog:-

Ah, hell; looks like you posted while I was 'composing', mate..! Laughing

The more options, the merrier, I always say..... Very Happy


Mike. Wink

_________________
MY 'PUPPY' PACKAGES

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 2022
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb 2020, 11:00    Post subject:  

In ScPup64 gtk+3 and at-spi2-atk from PPM are required.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 6397
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Feb 2020, 20:24    Post subject:  

Evening, all.

Initial impressions...

Following initial reservations - mostly related to the sheer amount of Russian 'stuff' that needs removing from/disabling in this browser!! - this was as easy as the Vivaldi portable to make 'fully-functional'.

Despite not having the Widevine decryption module anywhere to be found, Yandex must be even more closely modelled on the parent Chromium than most of the other clones. I'd added the 'libs' directory from Chrome, including the 'proper' libffmpeg to support H.264, etc. I copied the WidevineCdm directory across from Chrome, as is. Re-launching Yandex after these modifications, everything just 'worked'.

I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but importing bookmarks (or trying to) is the most tedious PITA I've ever encountered in years of running these Chromium-based browsers. Every attempt to do anything at all with bookmarks ends up re-directing you to something Yandex call "Yandex Collections".....and of course, the entire site's in Cyrillic, isn't it? I'm guessing it's their own equivalent of Sync, though they don't seem as though they want you to keep anything locally; it appears they'd prefer you to upload even bookmarks. Sounds to me like it's tailor-made for the Russian Security Services...!! Rolling Eyes

I'm pleased to find LastPass is included in the default list of extensions that ship with Yandex. In all honesty, I'm not that bothered about extensions any more; as long as I can get uBlock Origin, LastPass and some kind of weather forecast on the browser, I'm happy.....

Posting from it now.


Mike. Wink

_________________
MY 'PUPPY' PACKAGES

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0593s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0126s) ][ GZIP on ]