Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 15 Oct 2019, 03:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Clonezilla install has wrecked xenial64(Solved thanks)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
number77

PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep 2019, 14:50    Post subject:  Clonezilla install has wrecked xenial64(Solved thanks)  

Hello
I am running xenial64 on a Dell vostro 1320, 2.2ghz, 2gb ram. I downloaded clonezilla from PPM, installed it, couldn't find entry in menu so rebooted. That was the last time xenial64 ran. It now stops at layered filesystem and will go no further.
Is there anyway I can uninstall clonezille from another partition as I am now running on xenial, not 64 bit.

Last edited by number77 on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 12:45; edited 1 time in total
Smithy

PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep 2019, 17:38    Post subject:  

Hi. I guess you could find the entry file that lists what went where, and then
manually delete the entries from the (compressed?= uextract to somewhere) save file if that was the method.
Then replace the save file with the edited one. I use filezilla and that is good, but don't know clonezilla. That backs up a partition or drive?
jafadmin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep 2019, 17:51    Post subject:  

I will watch this thread with great interest. I had no idea one could install clonezilla as an app. I have no idea why anyone would want to, since clonezilla is an OS to begin with.

Strange days, indeed. Most peculiar, momma .. Shocked
number77

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 02:44    Post subject:  

Smithy wrote:
Hi. I guess you could find the entry file that lists what went where, and then
manually delete the entries from the (compressed?= uextract to somewhere) save file if that was the method.
Then replace the save file with the edited one. I use filezilla and that is good, but don't know clonezilla. That backs up a partition or drive?

Sounds promising but difficult for me as beginner.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 03:20    Post subject:  

How is Xenialpup64 installed?
Full or frugal?

number77

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 03:26    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
How is Xenialpup64 installed?
Full or frugal?

Its frugal.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 03:33    Post subject:  

Any chance you have a good backup, of a good save, for Xenialpup64?
Just replace the old save with the good backup Very Happy

number77

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 03:55    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Any chance you have a good backup, of a good save, for Xenialpup64?
Just replace the old save with the good backup Very Happy

No that would have been a good idea though.
I don't understand personal storage but I have had messages a while ago when trying to install something about personal storage small. I did delete as much as I could and at one time increased personal storage space.
The ssd is pretty small, 60gb and has xp on one partition, xenial64, second xenial64 (the problem one) and xenial.
I still don't understand personal storage.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 06:14    Post subject:  

@ number77:-

Backups are, um, 'important', y'know?

Performing a backup with Puppy is a very simple matter. Unlike 'mainstream' distros (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Debian, etc), you don't need to perform a full-disk backup, or 'cloning' operation - which is essentially what Clonezilla does (why did you install Clonezilla, hmm?)

With Puppy, there's only one important item that needs backing up.....and that's your pup-save. Makes no difference whether it's the older-style save-file (fixed size), or whether it's the newer-type save-folder (expands/contracts in size), all you need to do is a straight-forward copy/paste operation to a 'safe' location. An external drive - a flash drive - would do, as long as it's big enough to hold the entire thing.

Keep it safe, tuck it in the back of a drawer, or similar.....and then you've always got a 'good' copy to use in case of this kind of cock-up. Delete the existing save, copy over the 'old' save. At least you're then up-and-running.

Best time to do this is when you finally have everything how you want it....and then regularly, every couple of weeks or so. We've all made the mistake of thinking it's not important in the early days, because you're all excited about getting Puppy working to think about such mundane things..! Very Happy

Mike. Wink

number77

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 06:34    Post subject:  

Mike I will do that now to external HDD. How do I organise the newer style save file that expands as needed.
The reason I needed clonezilla was to clone a CF card for piCorePlayer music player on raspberry pi and couldn't find a cloning program on xenial.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 09:20    Post subject:  

number77 wrote:
The reason I needed clonezilla was to clone a CF card for piCorePlayer music player on raspberry pi and couldn't find a cloning program on xenial.

Are you trying to "burn" the piCorePlayer image file onto a memory card? According to the instructions on the website, you can do this with the dd command.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 10:01    Post subject:  

Good practice is to use saves sparingly, and use a save file instead of a save folder. The initial system will be mostly set up, but will need configuring such as for your location ...etc. Boot, try and avoid going online (browsing), set the system up as you like and then make a save. Thereafter each time you boot you boot that 'clean' working system ... time after time. Don't run any more saves, just set it to shutdown without saving at the end of each session (also ensure its not set to save at intervals, typically within event manager (save session interval)). If you do need to make additional changes then boot the clean version, make the changes, save.

That approach is even better if the boot medium is a usb or dvd, that can be physically removed after having booted.

Keep your data separate to the OS/system, and backup that data separately. Setting up a single top level DATA (or whatever name) folder on HDD is a good choice, and store all of your data beneath that, in separate folders as appropriate. That way its easier to maintain - make backup copies etc. Personally I set that top folder to be encrypted, so if my laptop is lost/stolen then the data is obscured. For backups I prefer to just make a sfs of that folder
Code:
mksquashfs /mnt/sda1/DATA data.sfs

and to restore/extract that
Code:
unsquashfs data.sfs

That unsquashfs command extracts to a default folder name of squashfs-root.

Store multiple copies of those data.sfs elsewhere, on physically disconnected storage (usb) and preferably one copy being off-site, and that data is relatively secure against total loss.

When run that way, your save file will tend to be relatively small. Excepting if you install a big program (load a sfs) and make a save with big sfs loaded. Best to avoid that and just load sfs's/programs as/when needed, without saving.

Consider if a browser flaw enables a remote cracker to penetrate your session. If the MBR/bootloader/kernel are all physically disconnected then they can't hook into those to make their cracks persistent across reboots. If a save file is being used its more difficult to reform that with their cracks inserted (a save folder in contrast is easier to inject things into as they're open/normal files/folders). If they wipe or encrypt your data you have backups to call upon. One attack they could use is to run the save command after having made changes (injected their cracks/attacks), so ideally the save folder should also be stored on usb that is removed after booting (all running in ram). In that situation using a save folder is acceptable (just as secure as a save file).

And of course, alongside making backup copies of your data folder/files, its good practice to keep backup copies of your save file/folder, as that preserves your 'tweaks'. That's not so critical however as the OS can be easily recovered (re-download the Puppy you prefer), and setting that up again from fresh is a relatively trivial exercise.

That arrangement, all running in ram, does require a good amount of ram being available. As part of setting things up, look to use HDD storage space for some activities such as browser cache, video editing workspace ...etc. Adding swap (file or partition) also helps. Personally I use a encrypted swap file for that, as that way if the laptop is lost/stolen the content of swap cannot be inspected/read. For browser bookmarks, as they're not saved any time they're added to/changed, I instead store my bookmarks in a data file and I just edit that file as needed whenever I add/change bookmarks.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
number77

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 10:24    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
number77 wrote:

Are you trying to "burn" the piCorePlayer image file onto a memory card? According to the instructions on the website, you can do this with the dd command.

No I have a full working piCorePlayer system set up as I want it and wanted to make a copy of that for when I need it.
number77

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 10:30    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
Good practice is to use saves sparingly, and use a save file instead of a save folder. The initial system will be mostly set up, but will need configuring such as for your location ...etc. Boot, try and avoid going online (browsing), set the system up as you like and then make a save. Thereafter each time you boot you boot that 'clean' working system ... time after time. Don't run any more saves, just set it to shutdown without saving at the end of each session (also ensure its not set to save at intervals, typically within event manager (save session interval)). If you do need to make additional changes then boot the clean version, make the changes, save.

That approach is even better if the boot medium is a usb or dvd, that can be physically removed after having booted.

Keep your data separate to the OS/system, and backup that data separately. Setting up a single top level DATA (or whatever name) folder on HDD is a good choice, and store all of your data beneath that, in separate folders as appropriate. That way its easier to maintain - make backup copies etc. Personally I set that top folder to be encrypted, so if my laptop is lost/stolen then the data is obscured. For backups I prefer to just make a sfs of that folder
Code:
mksquashfs /mnt/sda1/DATA data.sfs

and to restore/extract that
Code:
unsquashfs data.sfs

That unsquashfs command extracts to a default folder name of squashfs-root.

Store multiple copies of those data.sfs elsewhere, on physically disconnected storage (usb) and preferably one copy being off-site, and that data is relatively secure against total loss.

When run that way, your save file will tend to be relatively small. Excepting if you install a big program (load a sfs) and make a save with big sfs loaded. Best to avoid that and just load sfs's/programs as/when needed, without saving.

Consider if a browser flaw enables a remote cracker to penetrate your session. If the MBR/bootloader/kernel are all physically disconnected then they can't hook into those to make their cracks persistent across reboots. If a save file is being used its more difficult to reform that with their cracks inserted (a save folder in contrast is easier to inject things into as they're open/normal files/folders). If they wipe or encrypt your data you have backups to call upon. One attack they could use is to run the save command after having made changes (injected their cracks/attacks), so ideally the save folder should also be stored on usb that is removed after booting (all running in ram). In that situation using a save folder is acceptable (just as secure as a save file).

And of course, alongside making backup copies of your data folder/files, its good practice to keep backup copies of your save file/folder, as that preserves your 'tweaks'. That's not so critical however as the OS can be easily recovered (re-download the Puppy you prefer), and setting that up again from fresh is a relatively trivial exercise.

That arrangement, all running in ram, does require a good amount of ram being available. As part of setting things up, look to use HDD storage space for some activities such as browser cache, video editing workspace ...etc. Adding swap (file or partition) also helps. Personally I use a encrypted swap file for that, as that way if the laptop is lost/stolen the content of swap cannot be inspected/read. For browser bookmarks, as they're not saved any time they're added to/changed, I instead store my bookmarks in a data file and I just edit that file as needed whenever I add/change bookmarks.

That definitely will take a lot of working through to understand but thanks.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 14:03    Post subject:  

If you are VERY CAREFUL, you could do this with a reverse dd operation.

Open a terminal in a location with lots of space to hold the backup image file. Run a command like:

Code:
dd if=/dev/xxx  of=backup-piCorePlayer3.11.img bs=1M

where xxx is the device name of the card reader.
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: