Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Nov 2019, 04:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Bionic32-light - 27 April, 2019
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 8 [117 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8
6502coder

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2019, 12:53    Post subject:  

I read somewhere that adding "net.ifnames=0" to the kernel line in the boot stanza will do the trick. I can't find that article but here's a similar discussion:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/689070/network-interface-name-changes-after-update-to-15-10-udev-changes
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2019, 12:58    Post subject:  

6502coder wrote:
I read somewhere that adding "net.ifnames=0" to the kernel line in the boot stanza will do the trick. I can't find that article but here's a similar discussion:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/689070/network-interface-name-changes-after-update-to-15-10-udev-changes

Thanks, will try that.

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2019, 15:18    Post subject:  

see:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=989998#989998

rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2019, 16:30    Post subject:  

Quote:
I read somewhere that adding "net.ifnames=0" to the kernel line in the boot stanza will do the trick.

it will. I use it on all my Bionic puppy versions and now with FirstRib aka WeePup

like this :

Code:
title firstrib (Void Linux Flavour)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /firstrib/vmlinuz  net.ifnames=0
  initrd /firstrib/initramfs.gz

Code:
title Bionic64 (sda1/Bionic64)
  uuid 01cec708-a02c-4fce-8656-50f9700d951f
  kernel /Bionic64/vmlinuz   psubdir=Bionic64 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck net.ifnames=0
  initrd /Bionic64/initrd.gz

this will force the network device count to start at eth0
_
kschewe

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug 2019, 23:51    Post subject:  

I have a question about getting sound to work on this version.
I am using an ancient laptop and so far It runs very smooth.
I was looking in the startup modules to see if there was one for opl3sa. I have tahr 6 arcade installed and I had the same issue. I was able to find the module in the startup and voila after a reboot it worked. This is probably the most modern OS this old laptop will see.
thanks
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2019, 23:23    Post subject:  

kschewe wrote:
I was looking in the startup modules to see if there was one for opl3sa. I have tahr 6 arcade installed and I had the same issue. I was able to find the module in the startup and voila after a reboot it worked. This is probably the most modern OS this old laptop will see.
thanks

Not sure what kernel tahr 6 arcade uses. Bionic32-light uses the kernel-3.14.54 from tahr6.05. If your booting from usb or harddrive frugal you can use the kernel from tahr 6 arcade by copying the zdrv from it and the matching vmlinuz into the frugal directory and renaming it to "zdrv_upupbb_19.03.sfs". Then you should have your sound module.

Good Luck, J

Edit: I just posted two scripts to make kernel switching super simple.
kschewe

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2019, 23:17    Post subject:  

jrb wrote:
kschewe wrote:
thanks

Not sure what kernel tahr 6 arcade uses. Bionic32-light uses the kernel-3.14.54 from tahr6.05. If your booting from usb or harddrive frugal you can use the kernel from tahr 6 arcade by copying the zdrv from it and the matching vmlinuz into the frugal directory and renaming it to "zdrv_upupbb_19.03.sfs". Then you should have your sound module.

Good Luck, J

Edit: I just posted two scripts to make kernel switching super simple.

Thanks I will try and report back. I have a full install of many pups, very old machine and slow cpu.
kschewe

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug 2019, 09:56    Post subject:  

I have a full install on this old machine.
What I did try is taking those files from the tahr iso. I renamed and put into the bionic iso. The machine boots up but no keyboard or mouse etc. I think my way does not load any drivers. To bad since the tahr files works with my sound and recently bought usb ethernet.
I will try investigating some more
Maybe copying individual files from one pup to another.
jrb

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug 2019, 23:04    Post subject:  

kschewe wrote:
I have a full install on this old machine.
What I did try is taking those files from the tahr iso. I renamed and put into the bionic iso. The machine boots up but no keyboard or mouse etc. I think my way does not load any drivers. To bad since the tahr files works with my sound and recently bought usb ethernet.
I will try investigating some more
Maybe copying individual files from one pup to another.

I don't remember ever doing a full install of Puppy, I had enough grief screwing up other linux distros. So, I thought I'd give it a try:
1) I booted Precise-light from a usb stick and created a 10Gb ext3 drive on one of my old machines.
2) Then I used Menu->Setup->Puppy Installer to create a full install on the new drive, ran Grub4dos to create a new menu.lst, rebooted and there I was running a full install with kernel 3.14.56.

Now for the relevant part, I wanted to switch kernels so I:
1) Went into the frugal install directory of Bionic32 (I could have mounted an ISO) and copied its vmlinuz into the "boot" directory of my new drive.
2) Then I mounted the zdrv_upupbb_19.03.sfs (click and say yes) and copied the contents to / (main) directory of the new drive, overwriting whatever got in the way.
3) I rebooted and there I was running a full install with kernel 4.9.163-lxpup-32-pae.

With all this said I would still never run a full install. When you screw up a frugal install you lose the savefile, which is easy to backup. When you screw up a full install you lose everything. Crying or Very sad Worried about low memory, run frugal with a swap file. Run with portable apps installed on the harddrive. Enough preaching, this forum is full of experienced users saying not to use full installs, with good reason.

Cheers, J
kschewe

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2019, 00:17    Post subject:  

Thanks for the tips. I will actually try the frugal on a different partition. I was trying to add the driver or module to the kernel by modprobe... didnt have much luck at the moment. I can totally understand what you mean by the full vs frugal. I am just pushing the limits on an old machine for fun. Not really practical to use for daily. It will end up being just for music , puppy and deadbeef 1.8 on bionic works well. and programming in windows.
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2019, 04:54    Post subject:  

Quote:
When you screw up a full install you lose everything

Full has other benefits - Clonezilla and a back-up disc is the smart move. Just as USB sticks fail, so do HDs. Too early yet to pronounce on SSDs. MTBFs depend on many factors but usage, storage, humidity, temperature, stray electric/magnetic fields, physical impact, etc. all constitute risk factors. But, then, I have some colour negative film which must be ~50+yrs old, stored in darkness in cool desk drawers, still in acceptable condition - hasn't been in the enlarger very often, though! Digital information is relatively new for a rational assessment. Cuniform on clay seems fairly robust...
kschewe

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 11:20    Post subject:  

I though i would give a bit of an update on my puppy trials.
If i replace the kernel and zdrv with an old version like 3.4.x bionic will load but nothing will work just a frozen system. I tried this on xenial and same issue. They seem to be very similar. Tahr i can use an old kernel though.

I can replace it with newer kernels like 4.14.133 and no problems working. i might upload that one if anyone wants it works on many machines i tried.
For old kernels i think it might not be loading the drivers because of configuration in initrd.

I am checking though to see if i can get a ubuntu pack of drivers at the same time.
Page 8 of 8 [117 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: