2.14: Atheros AR500G can't connect to my wireless router

xwo

2.14: Atheros AR500G can't connect to my wireless router

#1 Post by xwo »

Just tried Puppy 2.14 on a Toshiba L35-S2161 with an Atheros AR500G card. Puppy sees Atheros card and loads ath_pci driver. Puppy doesn't see the wireless router. Have no problems connecting to the same router with windows.

Also, not related to wifi: when I go to shut down or reboot, puppy hangs. I eventually have to unplug my AC and battery to get control of the computer.

Thanks.

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

First some questions:

Do you have encryption? is it WEP? WPA? If it is WPA, what kind of WPA encryption?

Are you using the network wizard? Does it show the atheros interface? (ath0)

On the network wizard, when you scan, does it show your network?
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

xwo

#3 Post by xwo »

no encryption.

network wizard does show ath0

network isn't shown, which appears to be the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

ppurvis

Re: Wifi Woes

#4 Post by ppurvis »

xwo wrote:Just tried Puppy 2.14 on a Toshiba L35-S2161 with an Atheros AR500G card. Puppy sees Atheros card and loads ath_pci driver. Puppy doesn't see the wireless router. Have no problems connecting to the same router with windows.

Also, not related to wifi: when I go to shut down or reboot, puppy hangs. I eventually have to unplug my AC and battery to get control of the computer.

Thanks.
Greetings...
Wifi is the number one problem with the current version of Puppy. Personally I found it worked pretty well in v213 but hard to use in v214. You almost certainly will need to use the ndiswrapper option and for this you will need the drivers for your wireless card. It took me some time to get my head around it but it now works fine in v213. I am waiting for v215 to hopefully resolve the current problem. v213 is still available for download.

xwo

#5 Post by xwo »

Thanks for the heads up for wifi on 2.14.

I've heard of ndiswrapper (linux uses a windows driver?). Is ndiswrapper built into puppy or is that an additional d/l?

Just bought my lappy in 11/06. Depending on when 2.13 was released, it may not recognize some of my hardware. But, I'll give 2.13 a try.

xwo

#6 Post by xwo »

Couldn't find 2.13 on puppylinux.org, so I tried 2.12. Didn't even detect my wireless. Tried 2.14 again and it actually found the wireless router this time. Big problem with surfing, as it was dog slow. Took 20 seconds or so for a web page to load, if it loaded at all. After I was finished I tried to reboot, but my computer hung again.

Hopefully Puppy works on older 'puters, but with newish it's just too buggy. Thanks for the help.

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

xwo wrote:Tried 2.14 again and it actually found the wireless router this time. Big problem with surfing, as it was dog slow.
Then it seems to be an issue with the driver itself.
After I was finished I tried to reboot, but my computer hung again.
Try booting with acpi=on or acpi=off
Hopefully Puppy works on older 'puters, but with newish it's just too buggy.
Generalizations are usually incorrect. It works very well in newer computers. If you are finding a problem, patience reporting it is better than complaining.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

jombo

#8 Post by jombo »

cant tell ya why. but my laptop uses the ath_pci driver and i have 2 routers a belkin and
a linksys. ive tried 20 or 30 breeds of linux on the laptop and it wont authenticate with
WEP on the linksys with linux period least not that ive tried. it sees the AP but no connect.

if i take off WEP np. in windows dont matter it uses the linksys just fine. and in nix its fine
with the belkin lol. i just use the belkin in the bedroom with a weaker signal here in the
puter`room on nix with the lappy.

not sure if its the driver or something to do with the speedboost the wireless has in the
lappy. the belkin router has speedboost also and the linksys dont. im not sure what
ver/model my atheros wireless device is but the linksys is a wrt54g i think. also it
may have to do with me using mac filtering here not sure. ive never turned off WEP
but i did off filtering 1 day it still wouldnt work. people next door have same linksys no
wep/filtering the atheros connects and uses it fine in nix. i myself think it is the driver.

i bought the belkin at a yard sale for 5 bux 1 day to stick in the bedroom i get a crappy
signal on the linksys clear across the house.

no help with your troubles i just thought id throw in my 2cents here. ive tried about every
build of puppy there is testing and this old toshiba junk likes em all unless i try to use a
wep enabled linksys router. i love this puppy stuff lol..

jonyo

#9 Post by jonyo »

Yes ndiswrapper is in the net wizard & has worked very well for me.

Not really sure how that could be missed? It's the second choice after auto load in the net wizard.
xwo wrote:Thanks for the heads up for wifi on 2.14.

I've heard of ndiswrapper (linux uses a windows driver?). Is ndiswrapper built into puppy or is that an additional d/l?

Just bought my lappy in 11/06. Depending on when 2.13 was released, it may not recognize some of my hardware. But, I'll give 2.13 a try.

jonyo

#10 Post by jonyo »

Pup 2.12-3 & 4 live cd has worked great for me on 2 new laps & one older one live cd wifi. All of 'em with the onboard wifi cards.

Made a ton of mistakes figuring out how to work pup at all at the start as I knew nothing about linux.
xwo wrote: Hopefully Puppy works on older 'puters, but with newish it's just too buggy. Thanks for the help.