For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
raffy

great

#41 Post by raffy »

That's great, really great. :)

john biles

#42 Post by john biles »

Hello nibl,
Thank you for all the effort you put in to mirror TEENpup.
Also thank you gwdg.de for mirroring TEENpup.
I will donate as soon as I can.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

john biles

#43 Post by john biles »

Hello to everyone who downloaded TEENpup 1.0.0
Its been almost a week since TEENpup became available for download.
My question to those who have tried it, what do you think?
What do you like and dislike about TEENpup.

dragonfly

Installation

#44 Post by dragonfly »

Good afternoon,

Very good installation but there's a strange thing: my mouse that has been detected (usb logitech) doesn't work. What's going on? So I can't say how is Teenpup. I'm very sorry. Any idea? Many thanks.

john biles

#45 Post by john biles »

Hello Dragonfly, I see that this is your first post.
First I'd try changing your mouse setting during the bootup procedures where it asks you if you want to use xvesa or xorg for you screen settings.
As part of the xorg wizard. you can change your mouse settings.

If this didn't work, I'd try one of the standard puppy versions to see if the problem is still there. TEENpup is based on Puppy Version 2.10
If this problem is still there in the standard Puppy then let me know.
Also if you can, try Puppy 2.14 and see if the problem has been fixed in that version and let me know.

raffy

excellent overall

#46 Post by raffy »

This is an excellent build, and added programs that proved difficult to add (at least based on the forum discussions). CAD is there and also Adobe Acrobat5. Scribus has a number of good templates, and Gimp has a very recent version.

It may be improved along certain directions:

1. Device drivers - am at a loss why it fails to use my old Realtek 8029AS LAN card. Note also the mouse issue above.

2. Multimedia playing - I wonder if it can handle Youtube video. I tried but I failed (maybe I dont know how to play it using Gxine).

3. Issues in docs - I guess puplets are obliged to identify whoever remastered it and give URL from where to get support. Am not sure whether Barry's puppyos.com logo can be replaced, or whether some generic Puppy pages like the browser splash page can be substantially changed. Am saying this from the point of view of minimizing confusion among users.

There is also the issue of version 2.10 being somewhat incompatible with other live CD versions of Puppy Linux owing to its new compression algorithm. I will be happy to see Teenpup start with a more recent Puppy version, say 2.14 or 2.11 (EduPup used 2.11). In fact, if we focus on one version (like 2.11) and exploit its full modularity via sfs add-ons, we will be doing great.

I would have done this for 2.11, but sometime in January this year, I was pressed for a good multimedia build of Puppy and settled for minipup2.02R (based on 2.02 regression2 by Tempestuous). Now seeing that EduPup is such a good build and so is TeenPup, am eager to update to a new version with good multimedia features.

Note: Maybe it's Pizzapup that am referring to? :wink:
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

john biles

#47 Post by john biles »

Hello raffy,
Thanks for your comments. Sorry to build TEENpup on Puppy version 2.10
Later TEENpups will be built on more current versions of Puppy, I had to start somewhere.
As for Gxine and Youtube, Did you install Flash 9 and "No Script" by clicking on the Flash Update Icon on the right handside of the screen.
I've had no trouble with Youtube after install the update. "No Script" stops Seamonkey from crashing when viewing Flash Websites.

As for the other problems, as I still have alot to learn about Linux and Puppy, I'm not to sure I can help you.
Do you have the same problems with the Standard Puppy version 2.10?
Maybe one of the packages over rid a file or codec?

dragonfly

Logitech mouse

#48 Post by dragonfly »

john biles wrote:Hello Dragonfly, I see that this is your first post.
First I'd try changing your mouse setting during the bootup procedures where it asks you if you want to use xvesa or xorg for you screen settings.
As part of the xorg wizard. you can change your mouse settings.

If this didn't work, I'd try one of the standard puppy versions to see if the problem is still there. TEENpup is based on Puppy Version 2.10
If this problem is still there in the standard Puppy then let me know.
Also if you can, try Puppy 2.14 and see if the problem has been fixed in that version and let me know.
:D Hi john biles, first thank you for your reply.
I've changed the Logitech usb cordless mouse against my old Microsoft PS/2 and it works fine now with Teenpup. With the other distros and Puppy 2.14 and Toutoulinux there was no problem with Logitech mouse instead.
I use xorg for my mouse too and I've choosen different kind of drivers without any result.
But now I can say that Teenpup is a great work. I prefer this presentation to the classic ones. I'm a novice at Linux but not at computers. So I'd like to know more about.

john biles

#49 Post by john biles »

Hello Dragonfly,
Thanks for your comments. I promise future TEENpups will be based on later versions of Puppy Linux.
For now, I hope you get lots of use out of TEENpup version 1.0.0 :D

rmonroe36

Experiences with TeenPup

#50 Post by rmonroe36 »

First, thanks John Biles for TeenPuppy... and that's from a seventy-teen user! It is a rather nice compilation of programs. My preference is to boot from the CD but save preferences to a Linux partition on my hard drive(s). I especially enjoy Net Radio.
Recently, have been experimenting with USB flash drive booting. For your info, I used 3 different brands and sizes but was not able to successfully boot TeenPuppy. So I then tried Puppy 2.14 and was able to get that to run on a 128 meg flash drive using a floppy to boot because the computer had a SATA DVD/CD drive.
I then tried Puppy 2.14 on a 512 meg flash drive and by accident found that the flash drive was recognized as a USB hard drive. That booted fine. Having that success, I decided to retry TeenPuppy on the same drive but that failed to boot.
I tried the same routine on a 1 gig flash drive with the same results - TeenPuppy would not boot but Puppy 2.14 would.
As you might surmise, I am looking forward to the next version of TeenPuppy, hopefully using version 2.14.
Again, thank you for your efforts and especially those other "coders" mentioned in this forum.

john biles

#51 Post by john biles »

Hello rmonroe36,
Thanks for your reply. I intended TEENpup to be an install to Hard Drive version of Puppy. I never tested it on a USB.
Because of this I only added Packages to Puppy to create TEENpup.
I never removed anything. All I can guess is that one of the additional Packages over rid some setting or file that controls the installing and booting from a USB device.
As I still have alot to learn about Linux and are learning every day, at the moment I don't think I can offer a fix. If I find the answer I'll let you know.

Pizzasgood

#52 Post by Pizzasgood »

Try comparing it to Puppy 2.10, as that's what it's based on. There have been some big changes between 2.10 and 2.14, so maybe one of them fixed it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

lvds

#53 Post by lvds »

Hi John,

I have been testing TeenPup and i like it, it's a really good work you have done. I have noticed a few things i would like to talk with you. It was a good idea to include acrobat reader 5 but when i click it it does nothing and does not load, i don't know if it is only on my pc, i will test it further. By the way where did you get the .PUP for acrobat reader 5 ?

I noticed you tweaked your puppy in interesting ways for interface looking, perhaps if you could explain us a few things it would help all of us working on others distros: i would like to know how you did to change the icons in rox file manager (the round blue one on top of each window) ?

Best regards,
Laurent.

john biles

#54 Post by john biles »

Hello lvds,
I can't remember where I found Acrobat 5.0 Dotpup as I've had it for months.
I feel it would have been on the this forum as I check what new Dotpups have been created ever couple of days and save all my Dotpups on CD's.

I don't know why you are having trouble with it opening as it has never been a problem for me?

As for changing the icons at the top of the Rox file manager all you have to do is this.
From root go /usr/local/apps and right mouse click on the ROX-filer icon and click "Look inside" its that easy, have fun.
I spent many hours going into ever file and folder and when I found something that interested me, I'd write it down.

MU

#55 Post by MU »

cthisbear

#56 Post by cthisbear »

john biles

This is a dear John letter.
I quite enjoyed this release. Maybe I would have liked less clutter
on the desktop...but then I have fixed many computers run by kids,
so I suppose I can see where you are coming from.

I enjoyed the internet phone and the online radio and if you have a
newer release based on Puppys updates I will definetely add your fun
distro onto any machines that I work; on as an optional boot for Windows.
Cheers and thanks for your great first effort....Chris

john biles

#57 Post by john biles »

Hello cthisbear,
I'm building TEENpup 2.14 at the moment, hopefully will be ready early April.
Expect more goodies :D

Genera Veruko

teenpup on "newer" versions of puppy

#58 Post by Genera Veruko »

This is the best puppy experience so far. Thanks for your careful work.

Heads up (FWIW) - Some newer versions of Puppy do not have working drivers for some ethernet hardware ... check with users to see how many are using earlier versions so they can stay connected.

Last working version for me was 2.11 so TeenPup is a gift from heaven as it is.

Good job.

... a note to "new" users to:
download a spellcheck dictionary from mozilla and select "language" in Seamonkey preferences might help new users trying to get spellcheck to work with email.

Thanks again.

lvds

#59 Post by lvds »

THANKS A LOT Mark ! :D

Best regards,
Laurent

john biles

#60 Post by john biles »

Hello Genera Veruko,
I glad you like TEENpup. One reason I decided to base the first TEENpup on Puppy 2.10 was because alot of Dotpups were created around the time Puppy 2.10 was released. Alot of earlier and later Dotpups appear to work well with Puppy 2.10. It seemed a good place to start. Also I prefer the version of ROX in Puppy 2.10 over the ROX in Puppy 2.14

I'm even more happy now that I based the first TEENpup on Puppy 2.10 and not Puppy 2.14 as it allows user's like yourself with older software to use and enjoy TEENpup which might not have been the case if I had based it on Puppy 2.14 :D