Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 07 Jul 2020, 03:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Quirky Thud64 - Closed
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
foxpup

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul 2019, 19:52    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
@foxpup, did you download the correct (v0.8.22) ones? There should have been few problems left.
Yes, I did. Just the file thud64-0.8.22.usfs.xz from the link.
How should I install it?
I have installed on usb with the old script.
scsijon

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul 2019, 20:03    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
scsijon wrote:
@foxpup, did you download the correct (v0.8.22) ones? There should have been few problems left.
Yes, I did. Just the file thud64-0.8.22.usfs.xz from the link.
How should I install it?
I have installed on usb with the old script.

Yes, you did it correctly with 4install-quirky-to-drive-mbr-esp or 4install-quirky-to-drive-mbr-esp-refind for a memorystick. Can you list your individual problems please, i'll download it and try one, maybe I uploaded the wrong version of 0.8.22, I fixed and rebuilt without changing numbers a few times, there should not be missing icons still to start with.

Thanks for testing.

EDIT: Yes your right, It looks like I deleted the wrong one and uploaded the other, I shall rebuild it today and re-upload the correct file.
EDIT2: I've uploaded the new usfs.xz and both dev packages, they also include fixes relating to 21july.

There will be one more Alpha in about a week as xconsole is still missing and a couple of other internal fixes need to be applied / sorted out.
scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jul 2019, 23:04    Post subject: QuirkyDev Alpha Build  

I'm in the process of creating a single package Developers version of my Quirky Thud64. It's purpose is to allow those wanting to develop to work on their own base with all development tools already incorperated. The user release will be separated so those that don't want the extra 'bits' to be in their way, but what's developed on the developers version should always be able to run on the users version.

I'm now up to the third Alpha of the developers build and it is numbered 0.8.35, the next will be a Beta

The following 0.8.35 has the latest alpha user version (a 0.8.22 at present) but with the qt5 and the devx inbuilt into the package, as well as all fixes that will appear in the next user version. It needs a 16gb or larger memory stick to install into and will grow as I add further tools.

The Beta versions of both will have name-changes with the User version becoming 'Quirky-Thud64' and the Developers version becoming 'QuirkyDev-Thud64'.

Please be aware this is still a trial alpha build and has problems still. It is being released by request.
thud64-0.8.35.usfs.xz 1.6Gb is at https://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/thud/0822/thud64-0.8.35.usfs.xz

The first Beta for the users version will appear in the next day or two as it seems a few fixes have cleared the last frisbee and general problems. I am still working on a iso process though, so that won't appear until a release build.
foxpup

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2019, 11:05    Post subject: 0.8.23
Subject description: network wifi

scsijon wrote:

Updated packages>
thud64-0.8.23.usfs.xz 479.8MB is at https://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/thud/0822/thud64-0.8.23.usfs.xz
I installed this on usb.
I could not connect to wifi.
Icons are all back now.
scsijon

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2019, 19:51    Post subject: Release from Beta from Alpha - my standard  

Just to let you know what's happening and the reason for a delay in the timeline, i'm having a second go with a clean set of woof files at making the final alpha buildset. No i'm not deleting what's been done, it's just that I cannot replicate a clean working Quirky-Thud64 in Beta using the Alpha already built.

My standard has always to create the release system (Quirky-Thud64 in this case) using it's own Alpha as a base to build the Beta system, and the Release built using the Beta system, and I cannot do this in this case. I'm not sure at this point if it's something inherent from within the woof Quirky build system (very doubtfull as it's never failed me in the past), or something from one or more of the oe packages used, or one of the modifications i've added while building, so i'm going back to basics and using the configuration file I created added into a clean buildsystem. I shall see if I can find where the problem arises if I can and fix it.

Since the main reason I'm building Quirky-Thud is to create a stable Build System for future use, i'm sure you will understand my reluctance to go any further without it being correct.

For those wanting to use what's out there now, the 0.8.23 (standard puppy format) and 0.8.35 (inbuilt devx) alpha releases can be considered good except for the possability of wifi not always working (wifi works for me, not for foxpup so maybe an extra driver or firmware file is needed that's not in the default set).

Oh, and i've found out how to create a quirky-thud.x.x.x.img.xz package for those that want to use Easydd or just the standard dd package, so that should appear with each version when I restart.
scsijon

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul 2019, 18:41    Post subject: Last of the Alphas  

After a lot of tracking through it's scripts, i've found out why Frisbee wifi is failing a connection via automatic connection and yet is ok when manually run. It's the same problem i've had with mp, where the rxvt-unicode packages from both thud and pyro won't run from within a script using the -e switch for some reason. I fixed mp by changing it to use sakura instead and I may be forced to try the same change with frisbee wifi although I would love to sort rxvt out. I also now have an external wifi 'dongle' I can try rather than borrow laptops so I can try it out easily when I get there.

I'm still trying to sort out why I can't build a beta with the alpha build, I consider that's a bit more important at present, sorry.

The rest seems to work now although i'm seeing some strange xerrs.log messages after a boot still, but not every time, so i'm still chasing them, even if they don't seem to have any effect on all types of screens I have(, even the old crt).

The Alpha build is now up to 0.8.80 but i'm not releasing it yet (maybe at the weekend).

AH, I hate unlisted dependancies!
scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2019, 03:20    Post subject: Final Alpha's (I hope)  

> quirky-thud64-0.8.81-16gb.img.xz 1.7Gb is the Development Version
https://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/thud/0880/quirky-thud64-0.8.81-16gb.img.xz
> quirky-thud64-0.8.90-16gb.img.xz 551.2Mb is the Users Version
https://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/thud/0880/quirky-thud64-0.8.90-16gb.img.xz
(I'm also building a 8gig img at present to add to this one with a fat32/ext2 pairing for testing lower grade memory sticks. There is a note in the Easy thread about why i'm doing it.)
> quirky-thud64-0.8.90-8gb.img.xz 547.6Mb is the Users Version
https://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/thud/0880/quirky-thud64-0.8.90-8gb.img.xz

You need at least a 16g stick for two of these, but only the 16gig will be needed for the Development Version in Beta. These will be the last Alphas unless a major problem surfaces.

The number differance is so I know which is which for now, they are actually built with the same base. The names will only change to their final ones, and numbers parallel when we go Release, until then they will sequence with Development versions being even numbers and User version the following odd number step.

For this time, both have some extra packages/files in them that won't be in the later non-development versions as i'm trying to track a problem package-version-file-package-dependancy-version sequence down for one of the packages I intend adding into the beta's.

Also I haven't sorted the rxvt-unicode/frisbee problem down yet, now I know what it is, I just need to slowly see if I can find it's cause or just change frisbee to use sakura. I had been considering just changing it to use sakura, but i'd really like to find the problem instead as it will affect other packages that use rxvt-unicode in the same way.
EDIT:20190804 Finally found a way, after a lot of testing and mixing settings that didn't work, to see the rxvt-unicode error messages and confirmed the problem is with rxvt-unicode, it's erroring when trying to open a terminal to run any external commands (only). I think I will try building it from within my quirky-thud64 and see if that fixes it as just changing it doesn't work either. May be there is a dependancy at the wrong version or something that will show up this way! And trying to rebuild rxvt-unicode fails with a perl error; I shall a build with the pyro perl next and see if that is the problem.

Hoiwever, the first (and maybe) only beta works other than this problem in internal testing. But it's not going out until I fix this problem as I've found a number of qt5 apps I want to add also use it.
scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2019, 02:10    Post subject: Release next  

Ok, I had a long think while helping friends with problems after a horrible fire.

I came to the realization that other than the two outstanding problems I had actually met my origonal requirements. And at least one of the problems has been fixed and the last one I know of (Frisbee) I intend to treat the same way and see what happens.

It means that I shall build a release soon as two versions,>

One is a user version that has no devx inbuilt (I shall build it externally as we normally do);

The second will have the devx already incorperated into the package.

Packages should be a usfs.xz, a img.xz and an .iso for standalone running, plus a sfs for the devx if needed. I may do a new kernel, but need to test it as there are some differances and it may not work.

And that should be it, whether there are updates will be moot as it was and is only a stepping stone stage for building upon, and not designed to be the end system. To this I shall also create a packageset of BarryK's woofOE builder at the release I created it, to allow others to go from there if they so desire.
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: