Running Windows 10 games in Linux

Play with your Puppy.
labbe5

Running Windows 10 games in Linux

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... rformance/

It's July 2019. It's been roughly 11 months since Valve introduced the world to a new version of Steam Play and a compatibility layer called Proton. Today, nearly 5700 Windows-only Steam games run great on Linux with just a click of the "install" button, and many more are becoming compatible every month as Valve and the Proton team work their development magic. To say gaming on Linux has come a long way in a brief time is an understatement. But I just wrapped up some game benchmarks on the System76 Oryx Pro laptop that downright surprised me and I wanted to share them with you.

What we're seeing today is a level of gaming performance on Linux that simply wasn't happening a year ago. Or even 6 months ago. Parity is being achieved more frequently, and while you still can't play every Windows game under the sun, the landscape looks brighter as each day rolls on. Plus, this little test was leveraging Nvidia GPUs. I suspect that once Valve's ACO compiler matures, a similar experiment on Radeon GPUs may show even stronger performance when compared to Windows.