DevuanDog 'Beowulf' [DISCONTINUED]

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
musher0

#101 Post by musher0 »

@fredx181:

I ran a live session of your "Beowulf" derivative this evening. I was quite impressed
by the very polished look. The Dogs have come a long way since the young collie
background!

I also enjoyed some jazz and some traditional African music on your DogRadio: that
app is "impeccable!", as we say in French. :)

Bravo and good continuation!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

fredx181

#102 Post by fredx181 »

Hi musher, thanks for trying and your encouragement, cheers :D

Fred

backi

#103 Post by backi »

Deleted

westwest

packit

#104 Post by westwest »

I've installed Packit from Synaptics, but it isn't integrated in the filemanager.
Tried adding a Packit.desktop file to /applications, without success.

I do not know anything about mime permissions (?)... any help would be appreciated.

Otherwise, all is well, even VirtualBox (using apt2sfs).

Thanks.

fredx181

#105 Post by fredx181 »

Hi westwest, assuming you mean packit the compression tool from SFR (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89211) , see attached deb package (remove fake .gz), named "pack-it" to avoid conflict. Seems to work well, I didn't test much though.
(packit from synaptic is a network commandline tool)

Fred
Attachments
pack-it_1.0.1_all.deb.gz
Packit deb package, remove fake .gz extension
(30.84 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

backi

#106 Post by backi »

Hi everybody !

Somehow do have really "Heat Problems" with DevuanDog .
Not really dangerous but quite significant higher compared to Stretchdog Xenialdog or Bionicdog .

Temperature fast increasing over 50-60celsius and Fan starts spinning quite fast ,even when not much Activities (just surfing the Web for Example) to keep it under 60 Celsius.
With Stretchdog ,Xenialdog or Bionicdog there is no such Problem .
Fan almost never runs...... significant cooler than DevuanDog.
That really annoys me......so feel not inclined to use it longer......although this a very fine Distro .

Did anybody else encountered Heat Issues ???

P.S:
Stretchdog ,Xenialdog or Bionicdog are 32 Bit Versions .
DevuanDog is a 64 Bit Version ..........could it matter ??

zagreb999

#107 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

for me all iso's based on ubuntu and devuan

produce great temperature -xenialdog, bionicdog,
devuandog...

but, all iso's based on debian and mx linux are
perfect- debiandog, sdog, mx linux-no
problem with temperature...
the best is fred's script mklive based on debian-
that iso is under 35 degree celsius!

fredx181

#108 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi, for me there's no (over)heat problem on Devuandog (around 40 Celsius at start), but it does use some more RAM at initial boot (more than other Dogs).
Temperature fast increasing over 50-60celsius and Fan starts spinning quite fast ,even when not much Activities (just surfing the Web for Example) to keep it under 60 Celsius.
That sounds similar as what I experience with slacko64 and Fatdog64, fan spinning fast on my old HP laptop from 2007 (no such problem with any other 32 bit puppies).
Stretchdog ,Xenialdog or Bionicdog are 32 Bit Versions .
Maybe you mean that you tested 32 versions only, there are 64-bit versions for those(as you probably know).
DevuanDog is a 64 Bit Version ..........could it matter ??
I would appreciate if you test the DevuanDog-Beowulf 32-bit version sometime to see if you have the same heating problem.

Fred

backi

#109 Post by backi »

I would appreciate if you test the DevuanDog-Beowulf 32-bit version sometime to see if you have the same heating problem.
O.K Fred
going to run a Test with 32bit Version of Devuan Dog !

Did test .........Heat problem persists .Fans are pumping .

Now going to try with older Kernel k 3.16.0-pae

backi

#110 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !

Did test ......Heat problem still persists....Fans are pumping ....seems ...Devuan Dog does not play well with my Machine .

Best Results with Xenial Dog on this Machine..... even Smplayer (either with MPV(Player) or mplayer) and Vlc player on Xenialdog.... just using half of the Cpu load than they do on Bionicdog or Stretchdog....
Temperatures are equal good .

So i am probably going back to my Darling Xenialdog as my daily Driver.

fredx181

#111 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !

Did test ......Heat problem still persists....Fans are pumping ....seems ...Devuan Dog does not play well with my Machine .

Best Results with Xenial Dog on this Machine..... even Smplayer (either with MPV(Player) or mplayer) and Vlc player on Xenialdog.... just using half of the Cpu load than they do on Bionicdog or Stretchdog....
Temperatures are equal good .

So i am probably going back to my Darling Xenialdog as my daily Driver.
So, do I understand well that using the older Kernel k 3.16.0-pae didn't help either ?

backi

#112 Post by backi »

So, do I understand well that using the older Kernel k 3.16.0-pae didn't help either ?
That`s right .

fredx181

#113 Post by fredx181 »

OK, backi, thanks for testing ! Computers and software can be weird things sometimes ! :?

Fred

westwest

Pack-it

#114 Post by westwest »

Pack-it package works fine,
thanks for this and all the great work.

By the way, no over heating problem on my setup.

fredx181

Updated Devuandog 2019-07-11 (beta)

#115 Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated Devuandog 2019-07-11 (beta) ***

Calling it beta instead of previously alpha because Debian Buster became the new stable now (Devuan Beowulf includes much packages from Buster)
(Devuan stable is still "ASCII", probably sometime this year "Beowulf" becomes the new stable)

Download links and more info here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/DevuanDog/ ... /README.md

Changes and fixes:
* Two flavours, now ISO choice for:
-- openbox with lxde components
-- openbox with xfce components
(see more info at above link)
* Kernel upgraded to v 4.19.0-5
* Changed again the way initrd1.xz is set up (for porteus-boot style), shrinked the amount of kernel modules pre-loaded, resulting in lower RAM usage at initial boot.
* Fixed that mime types for vlc were set while it's not yet installed (i.e. "Open with vlc" will only show now from right-click in file-manager if it's installed)
* Upgraded all packages (apt-get upgrade)
* Some more, e.g. cosmetic changes

Fred

fredx181

#116 Post by fredx181 »

Almost forgot about making DEVX .squashfs modules for the new version, here they are:
32-bit pae (contains also kernel sources (linux-headers) for kernel 4.19.0-5-pae_i386 :
https://github.com/DebianDog/DevuanDog/ ... 6.squashfs
64-bit (contains also kernel sources (linux-headers) for kernel 4.19.0-5-amd64:
https://github.com/DebianDog/DevuanDog/ ... 4.squashfs

Fred

keniv

#117 Post by keniv »

Hello Fred,
Download the 32 bit lxde version and installed with a clean changes.dat. Will take me a while to reinstall everything. So far all I've done is update/upgraded, set up palemoon including bookmarks etc and installed Arduino Ide with the ESP32 stuff. All has gone well so far. Just remembered I should have done the keyboard but I'll do more tomorrow.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

#118 Post by fredx181 »

a while back dancytron wrote: You might want to modify the quick remaster program to take into account that the kernel is in a .squashfs file and you don't want to merge it into the main file.
Indeed that's much better, finally made that change now in new quick-remaster v1.1.5, so when checkbox "Merge currently loaded modules..." is ticked it will merge all loaded extra modules (and rename to .bak) except the one containing the kernel-modules, e.g. "k-4.19.0-5-686-pae.squashfs".
Install/upgrade with synaptic or apt-get or install .deb:
32-bit: https://fred181.gitlab.io/devuandog/i38 ... 5_i386.deb
64-bit: https://fred181.gitlab.io/devuandog/amd ... _amd64.deb
Should work on Stretchdog too, but there's no real need, since Stretchdog doesn't have separate kernel .squashfs.

Fred
Attachments
2019-08-17-094704_749x51_scrot.png
Merge all extra .squashfs modules except kernel module
(34.11 KiB) Downloaded 1098 times

dancytron

#119 Post by dancytron »

I ran a minimal install of this today and all seems to be working as expected. Posting from it now.

Portable firefox worked. Automatically set up nouveau driver and glxgears works (so I assume mesa-dri still pulled in as default is the new normal).

Used gzip and got 216 meg ISO, which seems pretty good.

Not so sure about your instructions on merging the sfs files. Doesn't that give you a bunch of stuff not in the dpkg database that won't get upgraded (and could theoretically break later on)? I kind of think the default ought to be the opposite.
Attachments
original.build_setup.txt.gz
remove .gz
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

fredx181

#120 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:Not so sure about your instructions on merging the sfs files. Doesn't that give you a bunch of stuff not in the dpkg database that won't get upgraded (and could theoretically break later on)? I kind of think the default ought to be the opposite.
Mmmm.. you may be right ... again.. :wink:
The reason that I made merge checked by default was because of the "extra" DE config .squashfs modules created (e.g. zz_openbox_lx-jwm_firefox.squashfs).
What happened for me was if I changed for example the wallpaper, then by doing a remaster this change was merged in the new 01-filesystem.squashfs but not surviving because of the zz_openbox_lx-jwm_firefox.squashfs overriding it with the old config.
But now the new build script doesn't create these extra config modules anymore (http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 56#1034556), so probably will change quick-remaster again to no recommendation and not default merge checked.

EDIT: Made that small change mentioned above in quick-remaster v1.1.6:
Install/upgrade with synaptic or apt-get or install .deb:
EDIT2: Updated to v1.1.7 (bugfix)
32-bit: https://fred181.gitlab.io/devuandog/i38 ... 7_i386.deb
64-bit: https://fred181.gitlab.io/devuandog/amd ... _amd64.deb

Fred