[CLOSED] 32-bit UPup Disco Dingo (UPupDD) 19.04 (April 2019)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

Re: gnome-mplayer

#61 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:peebee:

bash: /root/Music/Amazing Grace_ fingerstyle guitar + TAB! - YouTube [720p].mp4: Permission denied
# /root/Music/*.flv
bash: /root/Music/▶ Andrea Valeri_ Sultans of swing - YouTube [240p].flv: Permission denied
"Permission denied" looks very odd....

Both files are YouTube downloads?

Both file names have strange characters - TAB! and ▶

You seem to have tried to just "run" the music files without an application - this won't work!

Please navigate to your music folder and then run:
mplayer [yourfilename]
and post the results

Like @Marv I cannot reproduce your problem.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

sszindian

gnome-mplayer

#62 Post by sszindian »

peebee: yes they were youtube files originally. The strange charecters are a result of 'cut & paste' using terminal, no harm done to original file name. I know how to open and play a .flv,mp4 etc., yes, I didn't specify how to run that terminal file but g-mplayer is set as default so terminal should have picked that up no? For your courisity all that displays is the orinigal dialog mplayer (small 1/2" x 1-1/2") box, you can go no further from there with mplayer (maybe should say, won't expand further to display video - box-functions themselves- file, edit, view all work) . At ant rate no matter where I run a .mp4, flv etc, file from, it won't play.

marv: thanks for all your effort!!!

Upup-dd is not a big issue with me, I realize it ends in a few months, I am only posting what I encountered in my testing so if anyone else runs across this, or in case a problem is in the program you'll be aware. We'll be into an 'ermine' or something I guess soon, be interesting to see what that brings with it.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

sszindian

gnome-mplayer

#63 Post by sszindian »

marv:

Just want to show you what my terminal shows doing a similiar terminal-request compared to the one you posted here... The g-mplayer dialog box does appear but doesn't expand to play the video, just remains small size (as posted above). Posted this just FYI

>>>---Indian------>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# gnome-mplayer /root/Music/john Abbott Dance With Me.mp4
GMLIB-Message: 14:45:55.361: after init: position=0.000 length=0.000 start_time=0.000 run_time=0.000 volume=0.00 player=dead media=unknown uri=

(gnome-mplayer:12143): GLib-CRITICAL **: 14:45:55.707: Source ID 58 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnome-mplayer:12143): GLib-CRITICAL **: 14:45:55.707: Source ID 59 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnome-mplayer:12143): GLib-CRITICAL **: 14:45:55.707: Source ID 60 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnome-mplayer:12143): GLib-CRITICAL **: 14:45:55.724: Source ID 80 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnome-mplayer:12143): GLib-CRITICAL **: 14:45:55.724: Source ID 81 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnome-mplayer:12143): GLib-CRITICAL **: 14:45:55.724: Source ID 82 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnome-mplayer:12143): GLib-CRITICAL **: 14:45:55.748: Source ID 100 was not found when attempting to remove it

sszindian

gnome-mplayer

#64 Post by sszindian »

Just as an additional note:

in PupRadio/PupTelly streaming media (from multimedia main menu) none of the presets will play (in pup/telly) with either gnome-mplayer or mplayer. so I'm pretty sure it isn't something I did to a file (like Music). As I recall several years ago there was a similiar problem with mplayers not working in the PupRadio/PupTelly program???

>>>---Indian------>

Marv

Re: gnome-mplayer

#65 Post by Marv »

sszindian wrote:Just as an additional note:

in PupRadio/PupTelly streaming media (from multimedia main menu) none of the presets will play (in pup/telly) with either gnome-mplayer or mplayer. so I'm pretty sure it isn't something I did to a file (like Music). As I recall several years ago there was a similiar problem with mplayers not working in the PupRadio/PupTelly program???

>>>---Indian------>
I did a little playing around with PupRadio (audio only to date) in upupdd. Indeed, it wouldn't play anything.

I use Simple GTK Radio 0.1.16 (not the newest) as I like the playlist format and it plays pretty much all audio formats using the mplayer or gnome-mplayer in upupdd so I had a base to work from.

The first find was that if I removed the quotes surrounding the URLs in /root/.pupradio/urls the .mp3 and radio.net sites would play.

The playlist type URLS, .m3u and .pls, still would not. An option -playlist needs to be passed to gnome-mplayer for them and PupRadio doesn't do this (I checked the scripts quickly using a search for pls or playlist). Simple GTK Radio does that using this snippet:

Code: Select all

case $STREAMURL in
	*.pls|*.m3u|*.asx|*.ram|http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=*)
	OPTS="$OPTS -playlist"
The last updates I see to PupRadio are circa 2016, could be wrong, and looks like the heavier reliance on playlist type URLs and possibly a change in parsing by mplayer/gnome-mplayer are the reasons for failure.

I only looked at the audio portion and just out of curiosity to see why it wasn't working in upupdd/upupcc etc.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

sszindian

g-mplayer

#66 Post by sszindian »

Interesting marv!

Sadly, if you fire up Upup-bb (bb) you will find that pupRadio/pupTelly streaming media doesn't work there either.

My gnome-mplayer works fine in Upup-bb, in fact if I open root/Music from the savefolder in Upup-dd, Upup-bb g-mplayer will play any file in there.

Nice detective work marv! You would think the dev's at Github would have caught and corrected this kind of stuff?

>>>---Indian------>

peebee

Re: g-mplayer

#67 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:Sadly, if you fire up Upup-bb (bb) you will find that pupRadio/pupTelly streaming media doesn't work there either.
Nor in Xenial - where the menu item is missing but the binary is still there....

Having looked at PupRadio/Telly for the very first time I think it should be removed from the build as it is clearly considerably out of date and unmaintained.....

and its not in BionicPup64 which has simplegtkradio....
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

sszindian

pupRadio/pupTelly

#68 Post by sszindian »

Yes peebee, your probably right to eliminate pupRadio/pupTelly if it is no longer maintained, nothing worse than to have a program in your distro that doesn't work!

pupTelly did have a rather unique website it went to-

https://www.squidtv.net

would be nice if that somehow could be kept somewhere as it appears to still be maitained and does provide a bunch of worthy URL's world-wide.

>>>---Indian------>

OscarTalks

#69 Post by OscarTalks »

I am going to speak in defense of pupRadio/Telly at least a little bit.
I have not tested in UPupDD but in BionicPup32 and other Puppies, the program does work OK.
It is nice to have the Telly part as well (for streaming video as well as the Radio for streaming audio).

The pupRadio/Telly program is really just a bookmarking tool for streaming media services (which play in the selected media player).

In practice, the streaming URL's tend to change or the services end over time. Only 2 out of the 8 preset buttons play anything out of the box, but the user can change these by storing their own chosen Radio stations or streams. This is the idea of how the program is supposed to be used, with the drop-down Bookmarks list available to store more Favourites in addition to the buttons.

I believe pupRadio/Telly was written by 01micko, who is still around but very busy so not as active as he once was. Perhaps someone else would be willing to simply edit the names and URL's of the buttons from time to time in order to ensure that most if not all of the buttons do play something.

I also note that there are "missing icon" fallback icons on a couple of the buttons along the bottom and also the "radio www" button opens a page with a weird font so perhaps something else could be chosen for that.

Having said all that, I personally find that simply storing URL's in my audio player (DeaDBeeF) or media player is a perfectly satisfactory method.
Oscar in England

peebee

#70 Post by peebee »

peebee

#71 Post by peebee »

13-jun-2019

ca6968dd8f069044d1c7f2542bd36d86 upupdd-19.04+9-uefi.iso and delta updates

Ubuntu updates including security updates

LXQt addon for upupdd
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(101.85 KiB) Downloaded 485 times

peebee

#72 Post by peebee »

UPupDD will be the end of the 32-bit UPups....in January 2020

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 27#1030527

There will be no UPupEE (19.10) or UPupFF (20.04 LTS)

unless Ubuntu32 appears like ArchLinux32 did......unlikely!

UPupBB (18.04 LTS) should go on until 2023 but will gradually be unable to run newer apps as its base becomes outdated...........
Last edited by peebee on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 20:33, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

#73 Post by Marv »

Alas :!:
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#74 Post by peebee »

recobayu

#75 Post by recobayu »

Thank you Peebee..
Using this update, now I can 'open containing folder' and open file correctly after download a file in browser.
:D

sszindian

gnomemplayer

#76 Post by sszindian »

Bugged the heck out of me why gnomemplayer was working for everyone else and NOT me?

My setup is a follows (same for all other puppy's) I have.

1: I boot from a DVD copy of puppy - that's all that is on the DVD... the puppy .ISO

2: A savefolder is created on my HDD and that creates a /initrd/mnt/dev_save file on a selected partition (sda/1,sda/3,etc,etc,.)on the HDD. In there resides the MAIN savefolder for each puppy I have (in this case, 'upupddsave' with a graphic of the puppy logo) along with the- adrv_upupdd_19.04.sfs, fdrv_upupdd_19.04.sfs, zdrv_upupdd_19.04.sfs, and puppy_upupdd_19.04.sfs, also all other .sfs files I use for various puppy's (palemoon.sfs, firefox.sfs., etc,.)

When upupdd didn't play gnomeplayer, I deleted the savefolder and created a new one on the next boot... that didn't solve the problem in fact many many tries like this still produced negetive results.

Finally I tried deleting every upupdd file on the HDD and booted a fresh upupdd.iso from the DVD drive. Lo and behold I now had gnomeplayer working!!!

OK... added a few of my standard programs (copied from other puppy's where they are working) and everything seemed OK. The Palemoon.sfs from the menu wouldn't download from the menu, says no checksum or something like that but, firefox did so thats what I use, works nice too.

Now copied over (from another working puppy) 'Pwidgets.pet' - the 32 bit virsion (I believe 58) to my downloads file (I keep all major .pets there) clicked on it and upupdd install Pwidgets BUT would not display them on the desktop.

Decided to do a reboot... did it... upupdd seemed to load normally BUT only to a BLACK SCREEN with the computer froze up solid.

Several tries of this same procedure produced the exact same results so...

On the first tries just creating a new savefolder, somehow the - adrv_upupdd_19.04.sfs, fdrv_upupdd_19.04.sfs, zdrv_upupdd_19.04.sfs, and puppy_upupdd_19.04.sfs - must have become corrupt and not the 'savefolder' itself.

As for why Pwidgets locks up upupdd... have not been able to figure that one out? So... I use the old 'Conky-Switcher' program fro way back in Saluki Puppy and it works great.

Right now upupdd +10 is running like a swiss-clock with all major programs working great (except for Palemoon.sfs and of course pup/radio-pup/telly.

upupdd without doubt is the most responsive puppy ever produced to date IMHO and I tested a lot of puppy's since 214, like I said before... my collection on just CD's/DVD's could shingle someone's house, too bad it will end in Jan-2020 :)

>>>---Indian------>

peebee

#77 Post by peebee »

Sorry about Palemoon - now fixed (& update to 28.6.0)
Last edited by peebee on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

Re: 32-bit UPup Disco Dingo (UPupDD) 19.04 (April 2019)

#78 Post by sheldonisaac »

When I click the 'Terminal' icon in the tray, nothing happens.

I had used the Setup ->Default applications Chooser to set it to urxvt.

Thanks for any help.

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

peebee

#79 Post by peebee »

All OK here.....have you checked the contents of:

/usr/local/bin/defaultterminal

sheldonisaac

#80 Post by sheldonisaac »

peebee wrote:All OK here.....have you checked the contents of:
/usr/local/bin/defaultterminal
No, but I will, and report back. Thank you, peebee.
-----------
later.
Booted Dingo with pfix=ram
Here is /usr/local/bin/defaultterminal
#!/bin/sh
exec lxterminal "$@"
Then I changed /root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray2 to include

Code: Select all

<TrayButton popup="asdfg" icon="rubix.png">exec lxterminal "$@"</TrayButton>
Saved and restarted X

Clicking on the icon did nothing.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc