GZDoom for Precise, or better [FILLED]

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

Question; how d'you swap weapons, when using a mouse? Smile I've got the hang of using the middle-button to accelerate fast, and the scroll-wheel to swap between gun and fists, but other weapons....?

First, you have to have other weapons.
A gun is about all you have in the beginning of the game.
You get other weapons by picking them up, as you play the game.
Always move over anyone you kill to get their maybe new weapon or the ammo they have.

Look in the game options>Customize Controls
Look in actions and weapons

You can change any of these settings.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 15 Jun 2019, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#22 Post by bigpup »

Also, I don't know if it's possible - or how - to change WAD files from within GZDoom
If there is more than one doom.wad file in /root/.config/gzdoom
When you start Gzdoom you get this selection window.
Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
(20.26 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Makoto

#23 Post by Makoto »

bigpup wrote:If there is more than one doom.wad file in /root/.config/gzdoom
When you start Gzdoom you get this selection window.
That's something they've added in the more recent versions, then. v1.8.4 just boots me straight into Doom 1 (Ultimate Doom, actually). I've got a link to gzdoom and my WAD/PK3 folder (now ~/.config/gzdoom/) on my desktop, and dragging the other WAD files I want to play onto the gzdoom link works, but as you'd expect, it's a little annoying to have to do that.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bigpup:-

Ah. Okay; thanks for the info. I'll try that next time round.
Makoto wrote:That's something they've added in the more recent versions, then. v1.8.4 just boots me straight into Doom 1 (Ultimate Doom, actually).
Mm. I dunno so much. GZDoom 1.8.4 in Precise with multiple WAD files in ~/.config/gzdoom gives me this.....

[Click to enlarge]

(*shrug*)

Mike. :wink:

Makoto

#25 Post by Makoto »

I have three WAD files in mine at the moment. Granted, only one of them is a complete game (Ultimate Doom (Doom 1)). The other two are the mod/add-on I mention in the OP (SIGIL). Also, they're all symlinked in from outside the save file, but that shouldn't really make a difference, right?

To run SIGIL, I have to drag it onto the gzdoom icon on my desktop.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

bigpup

#26 Post by bigpup »

Try putting the doom2.wad in there and see if you still do not get that selection window.
It may not show up unless there is another complete game wad.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

Having the ~/.config directory sym-linked in from outside should make no difference at all.

As I said, most of my kennels are running one version or another of GZDoom. A couple of the oldest Pups I run (inc Racy 5.5) won't run GZDoom, but are happy with the older ZDoom.

I keep a directory with those WAD files bigpup linked to earlier in the thread, on a remote, auto-mounted partition. That directory is sym-linked into ~/.config in each Puppy, and that sym-link is re-named to either 'zdoom' or 'gzdoom', depending on what that Pup is running.

Seems to work OK for me. The selector window shows up every time.

Perhaps it IS summat to do with your particular set-up. I'm on about my fourth re-incarnation of 571, due to having seriously messed it up earlier in my Puppy 'career'..! Touch wood, everything's behaving itself ATM.....

Mike. :wink:

Makoto

#28 Post by Makoto »

Just the files are symlinked in. Not the folder. :D

Well, if I add one or more full-game WADs to the directory, the selection dialog box pops up. It still doesn't allow me to pick from the mods (also WADs), though. So it looks like the only way to play modified/added content is to drag it on top of the gzdoom shortcut to start. :?

bigpup

#29 Post by bigpup »

From reading how to do things.
That seems to be the way it works.
the only way to play modified/added content is to drag it on top of the gzdoom shortcut to start.
Only full game wads will load from the selection dialog box.

You can add gzdoom to the right click menu> open with....
Right click on a modified/added content mod file and select open with>gzdoom
YaPI(any iso installer)