Puppy 215CE Standard & Office Beta1

News, happenings
Previously known as Guest

Puppy 215CE Standard & Office Beta1

#1 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Now available for public consumption. 8)

Weighing in at 99.69M

puppy-215CE-STD-Beta1.iso
puppy-215CE-STD-Beta1.iso.md5.txt

Office Edition Beta1 available.
228M
puppy-215CE-Office-Beta1.iso
puppy-215CE-Office-Beta1.iso.md5.txt
Last edited by Previously known as Guest on Fri 09 Mar 2007, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

amish

#2 Post by amish »

99.69M
LOL... if that doesn't show some kind of committment, i don't know what does. i hope to download this soon, when i have highspeed handy. the first time i downloaded puppy was on dialup at 60-70mb... over 3 hours- i wasn't getting full 3-4 kb, more like 2, but i want to try it. thank you.
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Downloaded. Average speed varied from 500 k/s to 2.6 M/s. I guess that's compensation for all the homework and exams I have to do.

I've got some things to finish up, then I'll reboot and give it a try.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:I've got some things to finish up, then I'll reboot and give it a try.
There is a small but persistent bug in the chooselocale script still present in the beta. It requires to create a directory /root/tmp/glibc_locales/usr/lib/locale and if it can't create/find that directory then it returns an error. At the moment manually creating the directory is sufficient to get it to run. I hope it will be fixed for Beta2.

Otherwise, enjoy the first Beta based on 2.15 core. Beta2 may go back to Seamonkey, if size becomes critical. We'll see. In the meantime I'm sweating on community members creating some sfs files for the Office Edition - I have Open Office 2.0.4, but I need a Firefox/Thunderbird/Java/Flash9 sfs file, and a Graphics file with Gimp/Xara/povray/ArtofIllusion/Gimpshop etc would be great, and a Multimedia file with Realplayer/mplayer/extra codecs/ and anything else the community thinks valuable is also required.

Any volunteers?

I know that Nathan is working on a slimmed-down version of Open Office 2.10, but other than that the field is wide open. I think I've done my fair share already, so apart from some look and feel issues I'm going to give it a bit of a rest until the next Beta is ready. Nathan, Pizzasgood, tronkel, plinej and rarsa have all been especially supportive of the project thus far.

SFS package creation isn't beyond almost anyone, given Dougal's easy-to-follow instructions and sunburnt's new GUI, so don't be afraid to have a go at it.

Cheers
Last edited by WhoDo on Wed 07 Mar 2007, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

#5 Post by Previously known as Guest »

I'm supplying some hosting, I'll take a look at sfs creation, but no promises. :?

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

Previously known as Guest wrote:I'm supplying some hosting, I'll take a look at sfs creation, but no promises. :?
Sorry, PkaG. :oops: I didn't mean to belittle the great value you offer by hosting. I should have mentioned your contribution in my earlier post, which was aimed at encouraging other community members to step up to the bar and have a go.

BTW, MU has also mirrored Puppy 2.15CE Beta1 here:

http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-01-to-06/

Thanks again for all you are doing for the project, PkaG.
Last edited by WhoDo on Wed 07 Mar 2007, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

#7 Post by Previously known as Guest »

No problem WhoDo, I didn't mean to sound off in a bad way if that's the way it came across. :) It was meant to help show support & maybe others can chip in ways to constructively contribute to the "CE" edition(s).

I'm more than happy to mirror when I can, though as far as ISO's go, it's probably better to spread them around & not just be on only one server in case (and usually does at times) the server exceeds b/w or has a glitch & is temporarely offline.

Glad to contribute however I can. :D

I'm currently primarily using 2.13 as my main box. And always upx binaries as it saves space & programs launch noticably faster. Though not an advantage running from CD though (squashfs).

raffy

Xvesa and Media issues

#8 Post by raffy »

This is great, especially the power-paw desktop.

Two issues: (1) Xvesa stops after it said that it is loading, but Xorg gets into the X setup quickly; (2) the Media icon is unresponsive - even Gxine from the menu does not respond.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

He forgot to include the needed mozilla libraries for Gxine and Gaim. I let him know in the other thread, and we already sorted out a list of the needed libs. He uploaded a dotpup for them I think.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

WhoDo

Re: Xvesa and Media issues

#10 Post by WhoDo »

raffy wrote:This is great, especially the power-paw desktop.

Two issues: (1) Xvesa stops after it said that it is loading, but Xorg gets into the X setup quickly; (2) the Media icon is unresponsive - even Gxine from the menu does not respond.
Yep. The requisite Mozilla libs are missing from the build. You can download a dotpup patch here.

I did a quick test for most of the applications, but didn't test Gxine or Gaim, so I really have no excuse. Sorry. :oops:

Don't know what the score is with Xvesa. I used the version that was in unleashed, but noted that it was from the series 1.xx Puppy. As I could see no other, I guessed it was still current, but if that's not the case I'd like to know ASAP.

Cheers

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

Congratulations Warren

Through great effort has got it out 3 days ahead of schedule. Using it now.

Reviews? Screenshots? Feedback? .sfs
Help out guys . . . 8)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CommunityEdition

We have a meeting (brought forward) this Sunday 10.00 GMT Sunday
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#12 Post by Previously known as Guest »

puppy-215CE-Office-Beta1 available, see first post.

#13 Post by Previously known as Guest »

I don't know how the downloads are going, but servage is having a few hiccups atm.

fletch229

fugly

#14 Post by fletch229 »

hey guys just tryed the basic version of 215ce and i gotta tell you it is fugly as all get out it looks like a leprechan barfed on the screen also mut is broken it will not mount any of my partitions it just opens a blank window

Pizzasgood

#15 Post by Pizzasgood »

it looks like a leprechan barfed on the screen
:shock: I should almost take offense to that. I mean, it wasn't my idea to turn my wallpaper green, but I thought it still looked nice. I'll admit the version WhoDo used was low quality and had a disproportionately large filesize, but I already remedied that last night.

Do you just have something against green?

Try this: Run the wallpaper changer and switch to the blue version of shining.jpg. That's the original version I made, and in my opinion the better of the series. Then change the IceWM theme to IcebergX. Now things should look a little better. That won't help some of the rough edges, but it is a beta after all.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Pizzasgood wrote:He forgot to include the needed mozilla libraries for Gxine and Gaim. I let him know in the other thread, and we already sorted out a list of the needed libs. He uploaded a dotpup for them I think.
What other thread? Where can I find the dotpup? :)

I tried the wallpaper changer but nothing happened. When I clicked on any of the choices it just flashed.

alienjeff

#17 Post by alienjeff »

Two important words: bug tracker

And for the visually impared:

Bug Tracker
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

Probably the "Ideas and requests" one. As for the wallpaper, I have no idea why it wouldn't work. It did for me. As a quickfix, right-click a desktop icon, go to "backdrops", and drag in a an image. The wallpapers are at /usr/share/backgrounds.

WhoDo

#19 Post by WhoDo »

Flash wrote:What other thread? Where can I find the dotpup?
This thread, right here, in my message posted "Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:47 pm". You will find a reference to a dotpup patch and the word "here" which is a link to the dotpup.

Hope that helps.

WhoDo

Another "brilliant" and "insightful" "contribution".

#20 Post by WhoDo »

alienjeff wrote:Two important words: bug tracker

And for the visually impared:

Bug Tracker
I'm sure the visually "impared"/impaired got it the first time, despite the typo you made in your rush to criticise. If only you spent as much time researching the wiki as you do trolling for opportunities to criticise, you'd know we already have one that suits our needs. And if only you spent as much time in constructively helping maintain it as you do in being downright negative, I'm sure there wouldn't be any bugs left to track! *sheesh*! "What a maroon!" Bugs Bunny.