Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 16 Jun 2019, 11:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
VPN Comparison Chart & How to choose the best VPN
Page 15 of 15 [214 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15
labbe5

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun 2019, 14:39    Post subject: You’d like to use a VPN but can’t afford it
Subject description: Tunneling over SSH

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/make-an-ssh-tunnel-on-linux/
Tunneling over SSH is a great way to direct internet traffic privately on demand. Additionally, it is a great option if you’d like to use a VPN but can’t afford it. This isn’t to say that using a VPN on Linux isn’t a great idea. However, there’s a time and place for them. If all you want is a quick way to direct traffic securely online with Linux, make an SSH tunnel.

How To Make An SSH Tunnel On Linux

It isn’t possible to SSH tunnel without an SSH server. Luckily, the setup process is quite easy. Start off by installing SSH and the server component. The command to install the components varies based on the operating system.

Ubuntu/Debian :
sudo apt install openssh-server

Note for Puppy users : just download and install openssh-server from PPM

The best way to tunnel is the dynamic method. This ensures that the traffic stays secure. This is the best option to go with, for privacy reasons. Additionally, because the SSH tunnel is being turned into a SOCKS proxy connection, nobody will be able to eavesdrop on your connection.

ssh -C -D 1080 remote@ip-address

Whichever type of tunnel you’d like to use, if what you want is to browse the internet, proxy settings need to be set up.

Next :
Configuring FireFox
labbe5

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun 2019, 15:05    Post subject: Shadowsocks
Subject description: A secure socks5 proxy, designed to protect your Internet traffic

Shadowsocks can help you when your VPN is blocked and you cannot access some websites, because Deep Packet Inspection has determined a VPN is in use.

It’s surprisingly effective at passing VPN blocks, and it’s completely free to use.

An AppImage is available :
https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks-qt5/releases/download/v3.0.1/Shadowsocks-Qt5-3.0.1-x86_64.AppImage

Make it executable and launch it :
chmod a+x Shadowsocks-Qt5-x86_64.AppImage
./Shadowsocks-Qt5-x86_64.AppImage

Shadowsocks can be downloaded for multiple platforms :
https://shadowsocks.org/en/download/clients.html

Find more on the subject reading :
How to Bypass VPN Blocks: Guide to Unblocking Your Activity
https://www.addictivetips.com/vpn/bypass-vpn-blocks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Addictivetips+%28AddictiveTips%29

Further reading :
How To Watch TV Online For Free And Legally?
https://fossbytes.com/how-to-watch-tv-online-for-free-legally/
rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun 2019, 15:56    Post subject:  

Setting up firefox and seamonkey (and I guess Palemoon) to use a socks5 proxy is relatively easy ... as per that article.

For chrome however there's no (preferences) menu option for that, so I use a command line to start chrome ...

Code:
/usr/bin/google-chrome-spot --proxy-server="socks5://localhost:9999" --force-device-scale-factor=1.5

as part of that I also set the Chrome scale factor so the Chrome tabs and menu font size are more to my liking (otherwise they're too small IMO).

The command I use to start the socks5 is

Code:
ssh -D 9999 -q -C -N userid@ny1.hashbang.sh &

... where I've substituted my actual userid with "userid". I use hashbang.sh for my ssh server, free account (tip, view the page source on their website for instructions of how to sign up etc.). I opted for the New York server when I signed up, hence the ny1.hashbang.sh connection. Running internet activity via that from London and I've generally experienced pretty good/responsive connections.

You can't run two versions of chrome at the same time with one using normal routing and the other via the socks, at least not as far as I know. You have to completely close down one chrome and then run the other. Best also not to use socks (ssh) routing if you're doing online banking (better to trust your local ISP's dns/routing for that IMO).

Socks/ssh is also good for validating your connection as the passwords (keys) have been set up in advance, so if you're out and about and it complains that your ssh servers keys or whatever 'have changed' then that's a warning that there may be a man in middle attack in progress (just power off and move on).

For Firefox and Seamonkey I think you also have to set the 'use proxy for DNS' tickbox also if you want dns to route via the server rather than your local/normal dns. dnsleaktest.com is a good web site to check that (just run the Standard test).

For vlc ... its pretty deep to set the socks proxying. Tools, Preferences, tick the Show All box, then select the Input Codecs choice (why there ???, seems odd to me). And then scroll down around half way down that relatively long list until you find the Socks Proxy section and enter localhost:9999 into the Socks Sever box and click OK (that's assuming you set the local port to 9999 as I showed above).

labbe5

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun 2019, 17:57    Post subject: AirVPN & VPN server chaining
Subject description: Look also for Multi-Providers Support

If you are a user of AirVPN, you may not be all that familiar with Eddie-UI. Did you know VPN server chaining is possible with Eddie-UI?

It is a concealed feature.
Click Eddie Settings, General, then uncheck Single Instance.

With Single Instance unchecked, you can open two, even three instances of Eddie-UI,
and connect to two, or three countries. Overall performance is as good with two instances as with one.

Another interesting feature is Multi-Providers Support. When checked, you can add your own VPN provider, using open source Eddie-UI as your GUI.

One can subscribe to ProtonVPN, which does not have a GUI for Linux users, use protonVPN ovpn files and gets Eddie-UI up and running, even though you are not a subscriber of AirVPN.

What is Double VPN and how does it work?
Typically, when you connect to VPN, your traffic travels through a remote VPN server, which changes your IP address and encrypts all the data that you send or receive over the internet. Due to this setup, no snoopers or cybercriminals can see what you are doing online.

Now with Double VPN, your online activity hides behind two servers instead of one, which is known as VPN server chaining. The working principle is rather simple:

Your traffic reaches a remote VPN server and leaves it securely encrypted.
The encrypted traffic then passes through a second VPN server and gets encrypted one more time.
You reach your internet destination securely and privately.

https://nordvpn.com/features/double-vpn/
Page 15 of 15 [214 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
Jump to: