Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Jul 2019, 13:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Changing resolution for different monitor?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 07:21    Post subject:  Changing resolution for different monitor?
Subject description: What's the 'procedure' for doing this?

Afternoon, all.

Now, then; got a question for you guys.

In the interests of 'modernizing' things somewhat, and maximizing on space in my bedroom (where the big old Compaq desktop lives), I'm thinking about changing resolutions....well, changing monitors, really.

I've been using a hand-me down Dell p'N'p 15" monitor from my bro, from back when he treated himself to an iMac Pro system. (A real Apple 'fanboi' is my brother....poor, deluded fool.) A-hem..!!

1024 x 768 is perfectly acceptable resolution, although I've tried running a couple of apps recently which have not had any missing deps, but merely turned their nose up at the low resolution (primarily thinking of the Shotwell & Flowblade video editors; both expect minimum 1280 width, y'see).

Anyways; I recently treated myself to a new TV for the bedroom, 'cos the old CRT one was knackered.....and took up a lot of space on my desktop!

Now, I didn't realise until today, but the darn thing has actually got a VGA input specifically for hooking up to a PC. So, I got to thinking; rather than have two screens on my desktop, why not 'retire' the old one, and use the new one for both the PC and the odd occasion when I watch telly? Makes sense to me....

(Remember, I'm using a whole range of Pups, from the Bionics and Dpup Stretch, right back to Lucid and Racy.)

So; how d'you go about changing the resolution Pup uses? What's the easy way? I assume there's built-in tools, though I've never bothered to look for 'em..... Embarassed

All advice very welcome & appreciated, as always.

TIA.

Mike. Wink

p310don

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 08:02    Post subject:  

Often and usually the resolution sorts itself out. No mucking about required.

If you want to much about, use whatever is built into the pup of the day

Commonly it is xrandr under setup, screen graphics wizard.

Or there is xorgwizard from the command prompt (especially used in older pups)
tallboy

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 07:02    Post subject:  

In Lucid, I use the Resolution Changer choice in Menu/Setup/Xorg Video Wizard (which is xorgwizard, as p310don recommends). Don't play with xvidtune, unless you are prepared for the possibility to find a new graphics card... Confused
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 07:28    Post subject:  

@ p310don/tallboy:-

Thanks for the replies, guys. As I said, this isn't something I've ever really bothered with before, although there'll be a bit of a breathing space before I attempt it. I need to get a new VGA cable, since upon inspection the one that I got with my brother's old one is a bit on the 'stiff' side.....never a good sign with cables.

I don't really anticipate any problems, since I transferred a more or less working copy of Slacko 570 from the Compaq to the newer Dell laptop (the 15R) that Mum no longer uses. I forget the resolution now, but where this old monitor is 4:3 aspect ratio, the new one is of course 16:9.....and it accepted it, and displayed full screen from first boot. (Okay, the desktop was a bit 's-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d', which necessitated a re-work; what can I say.....I'm a perfectionist!)

I'll keep y'all posted, anyway. Soon as the new VGA cable gets here, I shall 'experiment'.....and see what happens.

Mike. Wink

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 07:42    Post subject:  

You should always try to use the "natural" resolution of the screen - especially digital screens.
Doing this means that you will get a one for one relationship between the pixels you are asking for and the transistors that drive the screen (yes it is actually three for one because of the colours).
You most certainly want to avoid fractional relationships which WILL NOT HAPPEN and will cause distortion.

This problem does not apply so much with CRT screens as the number of phosphor dots is usually much greater and they are closer packed.

bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 08:49    Post subject:  

The TV should have an info screen you can access.
Usually if you access the setup menu on the TV.
One option is to bring up an info display.
This usually tells you the native resolution.

All the latest official Puppy versions, usually select the correct native resolution, when you first boot up.
They are good at just automatically setting up graphics.

Just understand that the TV is not made specifically to be a computer monitor.
So, the graphics will not be as good as a computer monitor would be.
but for normal stuff (desktop, browsing, normal programs, etc...) it will be OK.
The results are really dependent on how they made the TV and the features built into it.
If it is a 1080P or better. It will be very close to the same as a computer monitor.

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 09:56    Post subject:  

Except for small size TVs the standard resolution of TVs nowadays is 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) and that's far beyond the graphics capabilities of older PCs. It's even too much for normal TV content as - at least here in Japan - TV stations still broadcast "only" in HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels).
This means that using the native resolution of a new TV can be quite a challenge.

My experiences with VGA inputs of several TVs were rather disappointing, so I was thrilled when I found a used Acer Aspire One notebook which sports a HDMI output jack. Unfortunately PC -> TV via HDMI didn't work at all (with Slacko 5.6). Maybe a distro problem.
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 10:35    Post subject:  

Most modern TVs are sold as TV/Monitors and the native resolution for the monitor will be specified in the manual.

Sky broadcasts at 720p or 1080i

I use a Sky box to drive my 1920x1080 monitor at 1080i

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2019, 10:51    Post subject:  

Well, it works - kinda - but I'm not at all sure as I could live with it full-time.

The problem is picture adjustment.....or rather, lack of it. In TV mode, or playing back media from an attached USB drive, the full range of adjustments are available. In PC mode, you're limited to just brightness & contrast. That's your lot. No hue, saturation, color or sharpness adjustment.....without which I cannot get a picture I could live with full-time. The saturation is way up, resulting in intensely bright, candy-apple 'in your face' colouring. Tinkering with the brightness and contrast mitigates things somewhat, but......euugh, no. I don't think so.

There's nowt wrong with the quality; it's showing as 1366x768 resolution. Same 'height' as the other monitor, but around 30% wider. Just wish I could adjust the saturation & sharpness; that'd make a huge difference.

It's proved one thing, though. If the old Dell monitor does eventually go tits-up, this would do as a short-term solution until I could treat myself to a new one. I could just about live with it in the short term.....at a pinch.

I guess I could titivate with the settings in the XOrg Wizard GUI.....but I'd be afraid of bricking something permanently. And at present, it's not absolutely necessary; it's just an experiment.

Thankfully! Anyways, thanks for the input, everyone. Much appreciated.

(EDIT:- On start-up, there was a decided 'jink' to the right, but without needing to touch anything, over the course of around 15 minutes and a restart of 'X', that seemed to have corrected itself. Which in itself is quite impressive, that Pup can sort out minor glitches like that without requiring user input. Neat.)

Mike. Wink

bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2019, 15:03    Post subject:  

What is the specific make and model of the TV?

Most Puppies have some settings.
menu>Setup>Screen Graphics Wizard>Monitor Gamma Calibration

If your graphics hardware is Nvidia and you use the Nvidia driver package that has the Nvidia provided control program.
There are all kinds of settings that can be adjusted.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2019, 17:52    Post subject:  

@ Bigpup:-

It's a cheapo, 19" TV/DVD player combo. Made by the British firm ALBA, model no VL19HDLED-D. And my big old Compaq desktop uses ATI Radeon graphics.....an 18 yr old chip, the XPress 200, released in 2001, some 4 years before the machine itself was built.

I know there are various ways of adjusting video stuff in Pup, though I've never had much luck with the 'gamma' thing; it always leaves colours looking rather 'muddy', and 'dirty' on this machine. I did manage to get one of the older Catalyst driver packages working under XP, several years ago, but the range of adjustments was somewhat 'basic', given that this is an older, 'integrated' graphics chip. Still gives a damn good picture, though....

The Dell monitor, of course, being a dedicated PC device, has all kinds of adjustments built-in to the on-screen Menu. The TV/DVD, though, simply doesn't allow them....

As I said, this whole thing was something of an 'experiment', just to see if it could be done. And in a pinch, it'll do.

Mike. Wink

PipzDex

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun 2019, 22:20    Post subject: Screen resolution  

Hi Mike
about the resolution of your tv
Is this your specification?

<< Model number: VL19HDLED.
Television picture quality:
LED TV Screen.
HD Ready display resolution.
Motion rate 60Hz.
Viewing angle 90/65 degrees.
Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels. >>

Have you tried using some script to change it automatically every time you login to puppy?

I have been using this for years now since I can not make my card read or fix any resolution higher than 1024x768

I have installed this script in root / Startup

Check the file is suitable for 1280x1024 at 60 hz
modify it to your resolution

I hope it is useful for you
regards
rescreenchng.sh.gz
Description  remove gz
gz

Download 
Filename  rescreenchng.sh.gz 
Filesize  205 Bytes 
Downloaded  32 Time(s) 
tallboy

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun 2019, 12:30    Post subject:  

1366x768 is the default resolution in my Dell Latitude E6230, so it is not some exotic number.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: