IP addresses - bypassing DNS

For discussions about security.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#21 Post by Flash »

If I remember correctly, for any computer to send a TCP/IP packet to anywhere on the Internet, the packet must be addressed to an actual IP address; URLs won't work as addresses in packets.

So what happens is, my computer finds the IP address associated with a URL -- by asking a server somewhere on the Internet or by using my computer's own hosts file or something like that, details might be a bit hazy -- then uses the IP address of murga-linux.com in a packet intended for, I hope, murga-linux.com. Does that sound about right?

greengeek

#22 Post by greengeek »

Flash wrote:ISo what happens is, my computer finds the IP address associated with a URL -- by asking a server somewhere on the Internet or by using my computer's own hosts file or something like that, details might be a bit hazy -- then uses the IP address of murga-linux.com in a packet intended for, I hope, murga-linux.com. Does that sound about right?
Sounds about right to me.
Although I don't have a clear understanding of exactly which device inserts the IP address into the packet. Is it your PC (after waiting for the router or DNS server to tell your PC which IP to use)? Or does your PC pass the packet plus the url to the router or DNS server to add the final IP into the packet?

And what about broadcast packets to multiple destinations? - does your PC have to build each packet for each destination or is that done by the router?

belham2

#23 Post by belham2 »

Hi Greengeek,

Just wanted to post a link to a thread that directly relates to this one, and that I found interesting (especially wognath's link). Thought you'd find it interesting:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116201