webcam security puppy ("watchdog")

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
VariEze

webcam security puppy ("watchdog")

#1 Post by VariEze »

I'm starting to put together a box with a webcam that I can use to monitor various parts of the property, maybe help stop or deter some thieves. Or figure out how the goat is getting out, from work.

I was planning on using a very old computer, since it will be sometimes outside, and may die from exposure. I got MicroMuppy going, no problem, and hooked up via ethernet.

I got Puppy 1.08 going, and with NickBiker's webcam installer script, got the webcam going.

I'd like to use camE: http://linuxbrit.co.uk/camE/ It says it can work with no X, that would be perfect.

I was planning on figuring out what got installed to 1.08, and moving it into the IMAGE.GZ of MicroMuppy, and making a new ISO. I can manipulate the ISO, no problem with ISO master, and open the IMAGE.GZ, using Pizza's tool, But that's it so far.

QUESTION: for the experts, Does this approach with micromuppy have any chance of working, or am I going to find that I have to do it over and over, adding things to micromuppy, until I get the camera and the software working? Should I just use 1.08, and use Pizza's pup-be-gone http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3982 and take things out until I get down to micropup size?

Suggestions or advice of any sort appreciated. --Karl

amish

#2 Post by amish »

the pupbegone way sounds much better for this, as much as i love micro muppy. certainly if mu disagrees go with that.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

contact nickbiker and see if he will be kind enough to update for Puppy 2

also you might get interest as a .sfs or program add on for Puppy
contacting other watchdog PC's by network or wireless

Sounds a great project - there was a motion detection system for Windows (came from Russia) that worked very well - I think it was free - but the commercial version could phone you with pics - might work with wine

good luck :)
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 09 Mar 2007, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

VariEze

#4 Post by VariEze »

Thanks for the replies. I like MicroMuppy, it's kind of amazing what it can do with so little, but a custom microMuppy, It would be useless for any body else, since all the hardware has to be set up by hand and added to the .GZ and put back into the ISO.

BarelyPup woudld do nicely, and save a lot of time. with the zdrv, I think it may run better on old junk machines.

NickBiker did a great job compiling the webcam modules against the kernel used in puppy one. I tried compiling something against a kernel once, and it's a job. I think I may give it a go, and if I fail, I'll try to enlist his help.

I'm aiming for a box you can put outside on an extention cord, connect the lan cable, and the webcam, turn it on, put a bucket over it, and forget about it, just look at the uploaded images on any computer. you can always SSH to it to do maintenance, if needed.

I DO remember the Russian program with motion detection. it was pretty neat. I tried it years ago on windows 98. I remember the problem was windows would crash every 3 or 4 days, so I ended up giving up.

--Karl