How to move / change files in multisession? - SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
Scoticus

How to move / change files in multisession? - SOLVED

#1 Post by Scoticus »

I am now working with a multisession disk but clever ?? me brought four files over from XP to version 2.14 but purely moved them from XP.

I found this out the hard way when I went back to XP to again copy them over to the multisession disk only to find the cupboard was bare.

Can I easily move the files from 2.14 over to the multisession or should I be looking to send the files out to an alternate e-mail address and then transfer them to the multisession.

If I knew how much I had already changed I might have ignored multisession.

Thanking you in anticipation for your assistance

Ian
Last edited by Scoticus on Thu 08 Mar 2007, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Could you be a bit more specific about the procedure you followed, step by step,

Thank you.

Scoticus

Move / Change backgrounds

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Ian

I had moved four .jpg files from XP into /usr/backgounds and these currently reside I assume in puppy-save file on my HD.

When I went to find the photographs in XP I found I had totally moved them over to/backgrounds instead of just copying.

So how do I get them to where I can copy them over to my multisession disk which I am in the process of bring into line with my single use 2.14 disk.

The other alternate would be is it possible to transfer things over from the puppy_save file to my multisession disk.

Hope this makes things clearer

Ian

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Boot from the multisession disk. Mount the drive with the save-file. Go to the directory in Rox, so that you can actually see the file. Open a terminal window there (the back-quote key for new rox, the x key in the old rox, or rightclick and find "xterm here"). In that terminal window, type:
mount pup_save.2fs /mnt/data -o loop
The savefile will now be mounted at /mnt/data. When you are done with it, unmount it:
umount /mnt/data -o loop

Note: the above assumes the savefile is named pup_save.2fs. If not, simply adjust to the correct name (ie, pup_save.3fs). It also assumes it is not encrypted, which is a whole 'nother ball of string (hey, I though we were canine?).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Pizza.

Scoticus, you have to use the command-line because the pupsave file can't be mounted in the usual way (using MUT or Pmount.).

Once you've mounted it with Pizzas instructions, you can then use ROX to find it in /mnt/data. Inside it will be the files you have saved to it. You can drag them to another directory in another ROX window you have ready. This time, of course, you will choose "copy" instead of "move." :)

Scoticus

How to move / change files in multisession?

#6 Post by Scoticus »

Pizzasgood

Thanks for your reply. I am gradually getting to grips with the command line and Rox but you scared me off a bit. Looked a bit too rich for my liking.

Mulling things over I though if I could reverse the proceedure and this time use copy when I got back to XP then everything could be repeated in the other direction to my multi-session disk.

I did this and surprise surprise it worked and yes Flash I used copy this time

Many thanks to you both. Trust all your results exceed your expectations Pizzasgood.

Ian