Bionic32-light - 27 April, 2019

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
davids45

Print-to-file gives a PDF [SOLVED]

#61 Post by davids45 »

G'day jrb,

jrb wrote (twice!):
Tackling the Cups problem first. I don't remember CUPS-PDF ever working for me, but "Print to File"->PDF always has.

Only having to be told twice :oops: :roll: , I have just tried this top-line printer option in the 'Print' dialog window, on a spreadsheet print and on an image print and both gave pdfs.

Force-of-habit had made me not even see this when choosing a 'Printer' (I've usually looked for a paper-printer at the bottom of the options).
My other weak excuse is it doesn't indicate in the dialog that 'Print to file' will create a pdf.
For other slow learners like me, could the dialog box be modified to add 'pdf' to the option of 'Print to file' as I was thinking this would just make some sort of text file.

Thanks for your help with this which has solved my problem.

David S.

jrb

Re: Print-to-file gives a PDF [SOLVED]

#62 Post by jrb »

davids45 wrote:could the dialog box be modified to add 'pdf' to the option of 'Print to file' as I was thinking this would just make some sort of text file.
I'm just glad it worked. Didn't have much of a clue where to go on this. I suspect modifying that dialog box is a bit above my paygrade, but I'm pretty sure I can remove CUPS-PDF from it. I've already made it happen on a running copy of Bionic32-light but I won't know until I woof up an updated version. Planning on doing that in the next two hours.

jrb

#63 Post by jrb »

I have issued the first update using a .delta file. See page 1. I will repeat myself here:

Put the original upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+0.iso file and the upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+0.iso___upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+1.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal. 8)

md5sum of .delta file = 5519a630260022190c3acc867fc77274
md5sum of new .iso = 58d7da08b2fc5a9580f69931344c5db7

ally

#64 Post by ally »

generated ISO here: http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... _plus1.iso

(note '+' replaced with '_plus' as archive.org doesn't always play well with the plus sign)

:)

Sage

#65 Post by Sage »

Many thanks, ally - I do so hate these delta offerings!

nic007

#66 Post by nic007 »

ally wrote:generated ISO here: http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... _plus1.iso

(note '+' replaced with '_plus' as archive.org doesn't always play well with the plus sign)

:)
Hi, Ally. Can you manually change the contents of an iso you have uploaded to archive.org?

sheldonisaac

#67 Post by sheldonisaac »

jrb (in part) wrote:I have issued the first update using a .delta file.
Thanks, jrb! I replaced the contents of
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 May 3 10:49 upbblt
with the files in the newly generated iso.
Booted from the new Bionic32-light with pmedia=ataflash.
Rebooted, making a savefolder.
Did sfs-load of iron-69.0.3600.0-i386.sfs
Am posting from it now.
There's a save icon on the desktop.

Thanks a lot.
Sage(in part) wrote:I do so hate these delta offerings!
I like the delta way.
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Fri 03 May 2019, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

sheldonisaac

#68 Post by sheldonisaac »

In the Precise-light thread, jrb mentioned Gdmap_Preview.
I found 'Gdmap graphical disk usage' in this Bionic32-light's menu under Filesystem, and looked at the map of /initrd/pup_ro2/
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

jrb

#69 Post by jrb »

I just posted the 2nd Update upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+0.iso___upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+2.iso.delta on page 1. This is a fairly important update. Please replace your upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+1.iso
with upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+2.iso. The differences are very small and your save files from +1 should not be affected.

Thanks, J

jrb

#70 Post by jrb »

I'm wondering how everyone likes the Firefox-portable installer in the latest updates? I'm reasonably confident that I can do something similar with Seamonkey and Palemoon. Anyone interested?

mikeslr

#71 Post by mikeslr »

jrb wrote:I'm wondering how everyone likes the Firefox-portable installer in the latest updates? I'm reasonably confident that I can do something similar with Seamonkey and Palemoon. Anyone interested?
I think inclusion of installers is a great way to provide web-browsers without taking up space in ISO and using bandwidth. Maybe a front-end providing the user with the option to choose among the mozillas & the palemoon fork.

backi

#72 Post by backi »

I'm wondering how everyone likes the Firefox-portable installer in the latest updates? I'm reasonably confident that I can do something similar with Seamonkey and Palemoon. Anyone interested?
I think inclusion of installers is a great way to provide web-browsers without taking up space in ISO and using bandwidth. Maybe a front-end providing the user with the option to choose among the mozillas & the palemoon fork.

Firefox/Palemoon-portable Installer would be a cool Gadged ...i would prefer it over the other Methods ......(don`t exactly know why .......probably cause it is so "portable" .

Good Idea !!..... long overdue!

musher0

#73 Post by musher0 »

jrb wrote:I'm wondering how everyone likes the Firefox-portable installer in the latest updates? I'm reasonably confident that I can do something similar with Seamonkey and Palemoon. Anyone interested?
Hello jrb and all.

IMO, that's a waste of time. All major browsers already come as
"portable" installs -- just without the qualifier.

E.g. seamonkey: download, unpack in /mnt/home, create a symlink of the
browser exec in /usr/bin, whip up a *desktop file if you like, and you're
done. The same for all others.

Why complicate simple? :)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mikeslr

#74 Post by mikeslr »

musher0 wrote:.

Why complicate simple? :)

BFN.
Because it ain't simple. Current Seamonkeys, firefoxes and palemoons are published expecting the operating system to supply gtk3 and use pulse-audio. I think the former is in Bionic-light, but not the latter. The portable installers download the published build, provide apulse as a pulse-audio alternative and gtk3 with the necessary code and wrapper for the application to use those. gtk3, if unnecessary, could be left out of its installer.

musher0

#75 Post by musher0 »

Hi, mikeslr.

Providing a couple of pets for apulse and gtk3 would be enough, no?
No need for overkill. Maybe include a brief how-to, and that's it.

Also, a concern is WHERE will the installer be installing this big beast? You
don't want to clog the user's pupsave.

A pre-chewed installer... wow.
Must the younger generations of Puppyists be fed baby food?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

mikeslr

#76 Post by mikeslr »

musher0 wrote:Hi, mikeslr.

I may be wrong, but I think fredx181's installer installs the files into whichever folder the script is run from. So, could be from /mnt/home/somewhere.

BFN.
Yes. Newbies are probably immigrants from Windows; less likely Ubuntu; least likely, some other major distro. They are used to Mommy doing everything. Web-browsers are essential. Time enough for them to 'cut their teeth' on some toy they feel they need enough to do a little work to get.

musher0

#77 Post by musher0 »

mikeslr wrote:
musher0 wrote:Hi, mikeslr.

I may be wrong, but I think fredx181's installer installs the files into whichever folder the script is run from. So, could be from /mnt/home/somewhere.

BFN.
Yes. Newbies are probably immigrants from Windows; less likely Ubuntu; least likely, some other major distro. They are used to Mommy doing everything. Web-browsers are essential. Time enough for them to 'cut their teeth' on some toy they feel they need enough to do a little work to get.
Tsk, tsk. What is the world coming up to... :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Sage

#78 Post by Sage »

Guess I'll wait for the next full .iso release; manipulating deltas is far too complex with CD-RWs for my usage. Why are folks so keen to install or save anything associated with a light distro? Doesn't seem to make much sense. Logical progress would seem to be stripping out even more stuff to make it even lighter/faster. Concentrate on security so it can be booted anywhere anytime any machine for rapid access to essential info and (maybe) financial dealings. In the alternative you'll be pestered to add the proverbial Out house sink and end up with a hobbled inadequate monstrosity like so many that have gone before.

jrb

#79 Post by jrb »

Sage wrote:Guess I'll wait for the next full .iso release; manipulating deltas is far too complex with CD-RWs for my usage. Why are folks so keen to install or save anything associated with a light distro? Doesn't seem to make much sense. Logical progress would seem to be stripping out even more stuff to make it even lighter/faster. Concentrate on security so it can be booted anywhere anytime any machine for rapid access to essential info and (maybe) financial dealings. In the alternative you'll be pestered to add the proverbial Out house sink and end up with a hobbled inadequate monstrosity like so many that have gone before.
Sorry for the inconvenience Sage. I hadn't considered that some people are only using CD-RWs.

Since you ask, I use the .delta system because I live in a remote rural area with only satellite access to the internet and a monthly internet limit of 40Gb both upload and download which is split between four adults and two children.

May I suggest that you invest in a cheap usb flashdrive as a work area. Place upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+0.iso and upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+0.iso___upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+2.iso.delta on the flashdrive and click on the .delta file. Choose "Generate" and you will have upupbb32-light-19.03-uefi+2.iso. If you intend to do anything involving symlinks on this drive then format it to ext3 with Gparted on the System menu but this is not needed for most operations.

I hope that will be of some assistance.

Good Luck, J

Volhout

Imigrants from windows?

#80 Post by Volhout »

I doubt that.
Since MS does not charge for W10, the young generation is not interested in alternatives. They change phone every 2 years, and you will hardly find anyone with a 5 year old laptop.
We could do a poll, but I expect puppy forum visitors to be 45 in age average, if not higher.

Another reason why I dont expect puppy, and linux in general, to attract young folk is the speed in which it can adopt new technology. I.e. No phone maker has earphone connection anymore. In 1 year time all young ones will need Bluetooth for sound. I have not seen a good seemless bluetooth implementation in linux yet.

Puppy is a nice playground for us, we are all enjoying it, but I do not expect a spin off in the real world....