Fatdog64 and Java runtimes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PappyPuppy

Fatdog64 and Java runtimes

#1 Post by PappyPuppy »

When I get directed to a page to install the Java runtimes, I notice that Fatdo64 is not one of the Linux flavors listed - it's stuff like Redhat, various Ubuntus, etc..

Any suggestions, how I should install the Java runtimes?

april

#2 Post by april »

No answers so this might spice it up for you .
I'm hopeless at fatdog but normally in Precise I get the java ".sfs" file and download it . Then i load it on the fly when I need it with the sfs on the fly loader .

Perhaps you can work out from that how to get fatdog to do that?

drunkjedi

#3 Post by drunkjedi »

In Fatdog630 and 700 the Java sfs is available, new one for 710 is not made yet.
Although I see eclipse java sfs but I don't know much about that.
You can try Java sfs from 700 in 710.
Get it from here http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/700/

There are 2 JDK and JRE sfs. I believe you will need JRE (java runtime environment) one.

jamesbond

#4 Post by jamesbond »

@drunkjedi - we don't package Java SFS anymore in the repo, because Java is often updated and you usually want to use the latest version --- so Fatdog gives you the facility to do exactly that.

Howto:
1. Open terminal.
2. Run "getjava.sh"
3. It will run and attempt to fetch the latest version of Java JDK, and make a Java SFS out of it, located in /root. You can then use the SFS just like any other SFS (move it elsewhere, load it, etc).

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

drunkjedi

#5 Post by drunkjedi »

Thanks for reply Jamesbond,

Yes I forgot about getjava script.
Haven't used java lately.

The script is in Fatdog Controlcenter too I believe.

PappyPuppy

I am running the getjava.sh script now

#6 Post by PappyPuppy »

It's back to 18 and still going. I wonder what that all means?

Ok, it stopped at Build 14, and it's downloading the tar stuff now (for 8u11)

I only need the Java runtimes for one website I go to.

It stopped and said that it can't remove /tmp/getjava/work.22211 No such file or directory.

Not sure if I need to look inside that script and see what needs to still run or not.

The /tmp/getjava directory is empty so perhaps that's ok.

I went into the SFS Manager, and when I click on a Java thing, it started downloading it. I guess I'll do the same to the JDK java file under SFS Manager and see what happens after those two downloads.

I guess it's now loaded successfully, I clicked ok and it said "loaded successfully".
So presumably I should be able to browse with that java plugin working now. I'll try it out.

PappyPuppy

It's a shame

#7 Post by PappyPuppy »

I was able to get the website to work on Vista (probably SP2 Vista) and also on Windows 10.

Apparently, the website does not understand that I've just installed Java or perhaps my browser doesn't have scripting enabled. I'll have to trouble shoot this problem.

drunkjedi

#8 Post by drunkjedi »

The script makes sfs file in /root folder, not in sfs manager.
You need to load that sfs.

PappyPuppy

SUCCCESS WITH SEAMONKEY AS BROWSER

#9 Post by PappyPuppy »

I was using Google's Chrome to navigate to that records site I need Java to run on. So far no go with Google Chrome so I fired up SeaMonkey as the browswer.

And lo and behold, with SeaMonkey, it detected the Java - it complained that my Java was out of date, but I decided to just use the Java I had installed which is probably NOT out of date, and it allowed my to click on the Activate Java button, then a bunch of stuff loaded up and the control is now working so I can see the documents. It's a commercial application image viewer applet that is now running on Seamonkey. I'll have to look into how to make it work with Chrome also. For now, at least I don't have to go to another machine, I can use my Fatdog64 to view the site's images.

So problems mostly solved, thanks!

I have not yet loaded up the JDK - I will do that some time in the future - for now, I just needed the runtimes.

PappyPuppy

I may have just used the SFS manager for simplicity

#10 Post by PappyPuppy »

I now see that the java sfs for the runtime:
java_jre-8.25.sfs
is sitting in the appropriate directory where all of my sfs files and my savefile reside so all seems normal. I also have the compiler and the kernel source sfs files there and loaded. So today, I can start compiling C++ programs with gcc compiler. I had been wanting to set that up. I have to make a big decision since my gcc is only version 2.8. One application I'm working on might need version 4.5 or so. I forget why. Ok I remember. It's because the application is moving up to C11's new language specification. So I will either 1) have to try newer compilers or 2) Set up a new machine with Ubuntu or something. So I'll just have to research this - perhaps there's a way I can make the old compiler comply somehow - perhaps turn off language features or whatever. It sounds a little complicated but not impossible problme.
I just checked the gnu site - they are up to 6.3 or so. I am way behind.

So I will need version 4.8 or better in order to have C11 support.

Ugh - I might have to build a .sfs package. I haven't tried this yet. So I will need to download gcc 4.8 or better, and try it out I guess.
drunkjedi wrote:The script makes sfs file in /root folder, not in sfs manager.
You need to load that sfs.

p310don

#11 Post by p310don »

Does getjava.sh work currently??

jamesbond

#12 Post by jamesbond »

Just try it. We fixed it for 800 release but then Oracle changes their websites often. Otherwise I can pass you the latest getjava.sh that will be in 801.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

p310don

#13 Post by p310don »

Just try it. We fixed it for 800 release but then Oracle changes their websites often. Otherwise I can pass you the latest getjava.sh that will be in 801.
OK - to answer my own question. It does not work. Not for me.

I can probably pull that getjava.sh myself. If I fail, I'll let you know.

p310don

#14 Post by p310don »

Got it from 801, downloaded & loaded java successfully.

Now my program doesn't seem to work. Probably user error. Will see how I go.