Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Oct 2019, 10:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Additional Programs: How To Install
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Author Message
Ether

Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 18:49    Post subject: Re: Additional Programs: How To Install
Subject description: The basics of installing additional programs
 

.

I used PPM in bionic pup 64 to download Octave4.2.2 (plus all dependencies).

Now I have a folder containing 39 deb files:

root# ls
gcc-7-base_7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04_amd64.deb
libaec0_0.3.2-2_amd64.deb
libamd2_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libarpack2_3.5.0+real-2_amd64.deb
libblas3_3.7.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libcamd2_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libccolamd2_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libcholmod3_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libcolamd2_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libcxsparse3_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libfltk1.3_1.3.4-6_amd64.deb
libfltk-gl1.3_1.3.4-6_amd64.deb
libgfortran4_7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04_amd64.deb
libgl2ps1.4_1.4.0+dfsg1-1_amd64.deb
libglpk40_4.65-1_amd64.deb
libgraphicsmagick++-q16-12_1.3.28-2_amd64.deb
libgraphicsmagick-q16-3_1.3.28-2_amd64.deb
libhdf5-100_1.10.0-patch1+docs-4_amd64.deb
liblapack3_3.7.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libltdl7_2.4.6-2_amd64.deb
libmetis5_5.1.0.dfsg-5_amd64.deb
liboctave4_4.2.2-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libosmesa6_18.2.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.2_amd64.deb
libqhull7_2015.2-4_amd64.deb
libqrupdate1_1.1.2-2build1_amd64.deb
libqscintilla2-qt5-13_2.10.2+dfsg-4_amd64.deb
libqscintilla2-qt5-l10n_2.10.2+dfsg-4_all.deb
libsuitesparseconfig5_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libsz2_0.3.2-2_amd64.deb
libtext-unidecode-perl_1.30-1_all.deb
libumfpack5_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libxml-libxml-perl_2.0128+dfsg-5_amd64.deb
libxml-namespacesupport-perl_1.12-1_all.deb
libxml-sax-base-perl_1.09-1_all.deb
libxml-sax-perl_0.99+dfsg-2ubuntu1_all.deb
octave_4.2.2-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
octave-common_4.2.2-1ubuntu1_all.deb
tex-common_6.09_all.deb
texinfo_6.5.0.dfsg.1-2_amd64.deb

How do I make a "Program Folder" from those 39 deb files ?

Also, how do I make an SFS file that I can load-on-the-fly ?

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 2135

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 19:42    Post subject: Re: Additional Programs: How To Install
Subject description: The basics of installing additional programs
 

Ether wrote:
.

I used PPM in bionic pup 64 to download Octave4.2.2 (plus all dependencies).

Now I have a folder containing 39 deb files:

root# ls
gcc-7-base_7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04_amd64.deb
libaec0_0.3.2-2_amd64.deb
libamd2_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libarpack2_3.5.0+real-2_amd64.deb
libblas3_3.7.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libcamd2_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libccolamd2_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libcholmod3_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libcolamd2_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libcxsparse3_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libfltk1.3_1.3.4-6_amd64.deb
libfltk-gl1.3_1.3.4-6_amd64.deb
libgfortran4_7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04_amd64.deb
libgl2ps1.4_1.4.0+dfsg1-1_amd64.deb
libglpk40_4.65-1_amd64.deb
libgraphicsmagick++-q16-12_1.3.28-2_amd64.deb
libgraphicsmagick-q16-3_1.3.28-2_amd64.deb
libhdf5-100_1.10.0-patch1+docs-4_amd64.deb
liblapack3_3.7.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libltdl7_2.4.6-2_amd64.deb
libmetis5_5.1.0.dfsg-5_amd64.deb
liboctave4_4.2.2-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libosmesa6_18.2.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.2_amd64.deb
libqhull7_2015.2-4_amd64.deb
libqrupdate1_1.1.2-2build1_amd64.deb
libqscintilla2-qt5-13_2.10.2+dfsg-4_amd64.deb
libqscintilla2-qt5-l10n_2.10.2+dfsg-4_all.deb
libsuitesparseconfig5_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libsz2_0.3.2-2_amd64.deb
libtext-unidecode-perl_1.30-1_all.deb
libumfpack5_5.1.2-2_amd64.deb
libxml-libxml-perl_2.0128+dfsg-5_amd64.deb
libxml-namespacesupport-perl_1.12-1_all.deb
libxml-sax-base-perl_1.09-1_all.deb
libxml-sax-perl_0.99+dfsg-2ubuntu1_all.deb
octave_4.2.2-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
octave-common_4.2.2-1ubuntu1_all.deb
tex-common_6.09_all.deb
texinfo_6.5.0.dfsg.1-2_amd64.deb

How do I make a "Program Folder" from those 39 deb files ?

Also, how do I make an SFS file that I can load-on-the-fly ?

.


I thought of an even easier way but it might be slower then what I have in quotes below.
covert the packages using:

deb2pet

convert the pet to an sfs using:

sfs2pet

there there is a tool to combine sfs files available called:
sfs-combiner

However, if you want to learn to do things the hard way the following might be instructive.

Quote:

The quickist hack I can think of is to use sandbox.sh (not sure if it works on puppy or not) and install the debs one by one with the command
Code:

petget +<pkgname>

where package name is the name of the package. Once the packages are installed into the sandbox the files can be copied one by one into a new directory to package via dir2pet. The list of installed files can be found in /root/.packages for each package.

There are a few different ways to copy files (e.g. cp, rsync, cpio) I can can help out more later. You might also find the following thread interesting:

Minimum Operating Systems to host package manager in chroot
but it doesn't exactly answer your question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 3415
Location: 500 seconds from Sol

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 20:26    Post subject: Combining debs to make an application  

Hi Ether,

Install PaDS 1.1, from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998922#998922. Also install via Puppy Package Manager xdotool and any dependencies.

Then create a folder on /mnt/home named Octave4.2.2 and place all the debs you downloaded into that folder. Right-Click the folder and select "Combine-to-SFS". An SFS will be created at /root.

The above use of PaDS did not require xdotool. But it does all its work in RAM and creates the SFS in /root, which is in RAM. So, if you have limited RAM it can be problematic.

The other way to use PaDS is to open it from the menu. This does require xdotool. The GUI which opens permits the selection of a location for creating the SFS other than /root. When open from the menu all your debs (it can also use several other packages including, of course, pets and SFSes --read the PaDS thread) don't have to be in the same folder. You can browse for them in the left-panel and add them to the right-panel (which lists everything which is to be combined). With all, or many packages in the left-panel, you can quickly add all by selecting one package, pressing Ctrl-a (which highlights all) then clicking add.

That gives you an SFS. You can sfs-load it to test it. If the sfs is at /root, either before loading it or while loading it, move it from there. If you unload an sfs from /root it will be deleted.

Regarding testing it, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1025475#1025475

If dependencies are missing, you can add them to the Octave4.2.2 folder and run PaDS again. Or create another folder with a different name, such as Octave4.2.2a, place the Octave.sfs and the additional dependencies in that folder and again run PaDS.

One thing which often presents a problem is what Ubuntu/debian sometimes does with its /usr/share/APPLICATIONS.destop files. It begins the "Category=" argument with such terms as "gtk", "Application" or others which are not within Puppy's Menu vocabulary. Reading where to locate an application on its menu, Puppies may not get to the third argument so it won't appear. And, in any event the category Ubuntu chose may not be where you want the application to appear. Simply editing the desktop file is sufficient, but there's a another way whose intermediary step will give you a 'Program Folder'.

Create another folder with an appropriate name. Right-Click the SFS and select "View Contents". In window which opens, Click Rox's Eye, or otherwise 'Show hidden files'. Click your mouse-cursor on an empty place, then press Ctl-a to select all files. Then drag them into your other folder. You now have a 'Program Folder'. Edit the desktop file as necessary.

If you again want an SFS, file-browse to the PARENT of that folder, i.e. you can see it as a folder. Right-Click an empty space and select either Window>terminlal here or shell command. Enter the following command "dir2sfs EXACT_NAME_OF_FOLDER" without the quotes.

Note, as far as I know, any application which uses python must be installed. Using PaDS via the Menu, there's an option to combine packages into a pet. Also, once you have a 'Program Folder" you can use the same technique for creating an SFS to create a pet except the command would be "dir2pet" without the quotes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Ether

Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 20:50    Post subject: Re: Additional Programs: How To Install
Subject description: The basics of installing additional programs
 

s243a wrote:

convert the pet to an sfs using:

sfs2pet


Thanks. But that doesn't convert pet to sfs. See attachment.
.
sfs2pet.png
 Description   converts sfs to pet, not the other way
 Filesize   16.04 KB
 Viewed   345 Time(s)

sfs2pet.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 2135

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 21:00    Post subject: Re: Additional Programs: How To Install
Subject description: The basics of installing additional programs
 

Ether wrote:
s243a wrote:

convert the pet to an sfs using:

sfs2pet


Thanks. But that doesn't convert pet to sfs. See attachment.
.


My mistake. I left out one tool. There are pet to sfs converters:
- pet2sfs converter? murga-linux.com thread by ravensrest 16 May 2008
- PETS2SFSGUI-1.4 - combine/convert few pets into one SFS - murga-linux.com thread by trio 2 May 2011
- http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PETS2SFSGUI

that all said. I think that mikeslr suggestion might be easier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Ether

Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 21:38    Post subject: Re: Combining debs to make an application  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Ether,

Install PaDS 1.1, from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998922#998922. Also install via Puppy Package Manager xdotool and any dependencies.

.

Should I use version 1.1 in that post, or 1.2 in PPM? (see attachment)

.
Screenshot(6).png
 Description   
 Filesize   16.93 KB
 Viewed   330 Time(s)

Screenshot(6).png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Ether

Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 22:00    Post subject: Re: Combining debs to make an application  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Ether,

Install PaDS 1.1, from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998922#998922.


Done, except I installed v 1.2 from PPM.

Quote:
Then create a folder on /mnt/home named Octave4.2.2 and place all the debs you downloaded into that folder.


Done.

Quote:
Right-Click the folder


OK.

Quote:
...and select "Combine-to-SFS".


There is no "Combine-to-SFS" menu item in the right-click menu, so selected the "dir2sfs" menu instead

Quote:
An SFS will be created at /root.


The sfs was created in /mnt/home.

I tried right-clicking on the sfs, but there is no "load sfs" menu item.

So I went to Menu > Setup > SFS-Load-on-the-fly and browsed to the Octave sfs and loaded it.

But when I went to the terminal I could not find any command that would cause Octave to run.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 2135

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 22:29    Post subject: Re: Combining debs to make an application  

Ether wrote:


Quote:
...and select "Combine-to-SFS".


There is no "Combine-to-SFS" menu item in the right-click menu, so selected the "dir2sfs" menu instead

Quote:
An SFS will be created at /root.


The sfs was created in /mnt/home.

I tried right-clicking on the sfs, but there is no "load sfs" menu item.

So I went to Menu > Setup > SFS-Load-on-the-fly and browsed to the Octave sfs and loaded it.

But when I went to the terminal I could not find any command that would cause Octave to run.

.


Try extracting the sfs with uextract (available via the puppy package manager) to see what is inside it. I have this feeling that you don't have individual files but rather you have a bunch of deb files inside the sfs rather than the contents of each deb file inside the sfs file.

My guess is that for dir2sfs to work you first have to extract the contents of each deb into the directory. However, if we are creating the sfs from the dir then there are other ways to do this than xdotool, although I presume that we could also use xdotool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Ether

Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 22:46    Post subject: Re: Combining debs to make an application  

.

Quote:
Try extracting the sfs with uextract (available via the puppy package manager) to see what is inside it. I have this feeling that you don't have individual files but rather you have a bunch of deb files inside the sfs


Yeah. The sfs contains the 39 deb files that are in the folder.

Quote:
My guess is that for dir2sfs to work you first have to extract the contents of each deb into the directory.


There are 39 deb files. Do I have to extract them one at a time with the GUI? Or is there a shell command that will extract all of them ?

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 2135

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 23:46    Post subject: Re: Combining debs to make an application  

Ether wrote:
.

Quote:
Try extracting the sfs with uextract (available via the puppy package manager) to see what is inside it. I have this feeling that you don't have individual files but rather you have a bunch of deb files inside the sfs


Yeah. The sfs contains the 39 deb files that are in the folder.

Quote:
My guess is that for dir2sfs to work you first have to extract the contents of each deb into the directory.


There are 39 deb files. Do I have to extract them one at a time with the GUI? Or is there a shell command that will extract all of them ?

.


you can extract a deb with either of the following commands:
Code:

uextract <pkg>.deb
dpkg-deb -x <pkg>.deb

where <pkg> is the name of the package


Then copy the files to a common directory with one of the following utilities: cp, rsync, cpio, install|

Here is how to do it with "cp"
Code:

cp --remove-destination -arf "$source_dir/"* "$dest_dir"/ 2>/dev/null

See line #631 of mistfire's builkit for tazpup
https://pastebin.com/c1sKrW8B
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
foxpup


Joined: 29 Jul 2016
Posts: 958
Location: europa near northsea

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 05:45    Post subject: updebs  

@Ether

Have you seen my post about updebs script?
It will unpack all the deb files and put it in 1 directory/folder.

You can try if this can function as a (portable) program folder: go to the executable of your program inside the folder (probably in /usr/bin) and click it.
If not, it wil have to be installed properly. You can do that by making an sfs of the folder and load that (with load_sfs).
You will need something like this in terminal to make an sfs:
Code:
mksquashfs path/to/folder octave.sfs -comp xz


Btw, updebs is an adaptation of some script in pads or xdotools.
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 3415
Location: 500 seconds from Sol

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2019, 21:42    Post subject:  

"Should I use version 1.1 in that post, or 1.2 in PPM? (see attachment)"

I gave you the link to the last version of PaDS. Sorry about the scribner's error (leaving off a .4) as the last version number of PaDS is 1.1.4.

From your subsequent posts it seems obvious that whatever "pads_1.2" is, it is not an application for combining packages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Ether

Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2019, 21:53    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
From your subsequent posts it seems obvious that whatever "pads_1.2" is, it is not an application for combining packages.


I'll go back and take a look at 1.1.4


Right now I'm printing out all the posts you graciously took the time to link and to write up, so I can lean back in my recliner and read them very carefully (highlighting and making margin notes) so hopefully I don't ask questions you've already provided answers for.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
frenchy

Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jun 2019, 08:37    Post subject:  

PPM will not update. Just getting HTTP request sent,awaiting response every time I try.I want to get Firefox and Flash or HTML5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 12757
Location: S.C. USA

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2019, 03:10    Post subject:  

Start a topic on this problem in the beginners section of the forum.
Need to know what Puppy version.

_________________
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
YaPI(any iso installer) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107601
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1083s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0242s) ][ GZIP on ]