Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Oct 2019, 20:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 39 of 46 [687 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
lizardidi

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2019, 21:06    Post subject:  

Thank you mike and Oscar.

Now downloading the Chromium.sfs provided by Oscartalks. Some functions of our company websites can only be accessed using Chrome or Chrome a-like browsers. Before this I get around by using user-agent switcher addon in Firefox, but this was not a 100% fix. Will test and see whether this sfs package got issue with sandbox when running as root. (What i did to launch Chromium in other puppies/dogs: chromium --no-sandbox -test-type) (Pls correct me if this command has any issue)

edit 1: Followed the link, I just discovered the Puppy Linux Newsletter by smokey. A very well written and informative site.

For those not yet discover it:
http://smokey01.com/newsletters/

edit 2: Tested the Chromium.sfs package provided by OscarTalks. There is a missing libraries called libwebpdemux. Just download it from Puppy Package Manager and it launched perfectly. Thank you Oscar!
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2019, 22:31    Post subject:  

@ OscarTalks:-

Cheers for this, mate. Running beautifully in Stretch.

I've modified things a wee bit. Added libwidevinecdm.so into /usr/lib/chromium (also symlinked to /root/.local/lib), and added the --ppapi-flash-path switch to /usr/bin/chromium. Result? Radiotunes and NetFlix both playing nicely.

Sorted!

(Still can't figure out why it seems impossible to get NetFlix working in Iron 71/72, mind you. Even if I put libwidevinecdm.so in the Iron directory and add the symlink to /root/.local/lib, it still turns its nose up, and refuses to play ball. Wish I knew what the hell SRWare have done with their version of the code..!)

Just gotta customize stuff tomorrow; it's way past my beddy-byes..... Laughing

Mike. Wink

peebee

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 12:30    Post subject:  

The current 32-bit Chromium72 sfs works fine on Dpup Stretch....

[EDIT] Chromium 74 now available [/EDIT]
image-1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   75.3 KB
 Viewed   1217 Time(s)

image-1.png

Last edited by peebee on Mon 29 Apr 2019, 02:32; edited 1 time in total
tallboy

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 06:49    Post subject:  

lizardidi and others, please observe that packages made for an Ubuntu-based Puppy, will usually not run in Dpups, which are Debian-based. Ubuntu was/is based on Debian, but they have modified many things in Ubuntu, and those mods will not work when packages are installed back into an original Debian.
Most Debian packages (.deb) work in Ubuntu-based Puppys.

rufwoof wrote:
How are you getting on with Multi-session boots Tallboy?
Iam currently living in a tiny, old family summer cottage, stuffed full of everything I own after the apartment was sold, so I am a liiiiittle bit disorganized for the time being! Laughing I think that I did not try more than one save to the CD-R wich contained the .iso, at shutdown, followed by a save by using the Save button during the next session. I'll try to make some more tests during the easter holiday (which we have this week here in Norway... Cool ).
I really hope you remembered to ignore the blue text that pop up on your screen during saves, that says something like:' If this text stay on the screen for a long time, press Enter'. If you follow that very bad advice, the save process will fail. I have also been getting that text message you quoted, as a standard reaction with the Puppys I have tested, when they fail to accept a CD. I wonder if the aborted save process also 'closes' the disc, and prevent the burning of more sessions later.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 08:19    Post subject:  

Hi tallboy

Sounds a nice place to be to enjoy the spring/summer.

I didn't close the blue background text, just left it till it seemingly finished its work. Looks to me that the first save goes OK, which I believe uses separate code to set things up. Next save, which is really the first running save, saves OK, but looks like the code section for that could be closing the optical disc - such that subsequent saves results in the .. you need to do a remaster and create a new disc image ... type prompt. I haven't looked at any of the actual code, the above is all just a guess. I only keep a DVD boot (fatdog) just for fallback purposes, so for me its not really a big issue. On my setup I check the mbr, grldr, vmlinuz, initrd and main sfs checksums as part of the initial boot, so as good as a DVD from my perspective (I also store changes in a sfs that has its checksum also checked, that I unsquashfs as the actual save folder if that checksum is OK, and reform that (mksquashfs and record the new checksum) whenever a 'save' is made). My checksum's are very casual, I just check the first 10KB maximum of each file ... so that the checks flash through very quickly.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
tallboy

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2019, 10:31    Post subject:  

I have the CD with the Dpup Stretch-7-5 .iso, with the first save at shutdown, and one more random save. I'll rerun it and see how it behaves on new saves.

I just have to find it, I know that I saw it only a few days ago... Confused Laughing
caos.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   99.82 KB
 Viewed   1017 Time(s)

caos.jpg

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2019, 16:53    Post subject:  

New gtk-youtube-viewer (v3.5.4) pet package for Dpup-Stretch, for download and info, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1025673#1025673

Fred

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2019, 19:09    Post subject:  

lizardidi (in part) wrote:
edit 2: Tested the Chromium.sfs package provided by OscarTalks. There is a missing libraries called libwebpdemux. Just download it from Puppy Package Manager and it launched perfectly. Thank you Oscar!

Interesting. I needed libwebpdemux and libwebpmux, plus some newer ffmpeg-related stuff and the 'icu57' stuff to get this running under UPup Bionic 18.05. But it fired straight up for me in Stretch....

Mike.

lizardidi

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2019, 20:41    Post subject: Connect to Android Phone in Dpup Stretch  

Hi all, just want to report an issue with MTP Device v0.16 in Dpup Stretch as an everyday user.

I connect my Xperia T2 Ultra via MTP Device v0.16 (builtin package in Dpup Stretch). After created the rules, my phone willl mount and Pcmanfm will open my phone internal storage and SD storage. I can view all the contents both in internal and SD card.

However, I cannot open / copy / paste / cut any file into or from the phone storage, either internal or SD Card. The error code is

Quote:
Unable to open document
Input/Output error

I tried to change the permission for my phone storage folder, but unable to solve the input/output error.

In order to confirm my phone and cable are working, i downloaded Jmtpfs from PPM. And I can mount my phone, and also transfer all file without error. Not sure is this a bug for the MTP.pet, will test again with different android devices and different puppies after a few days.

===============================================

For other new linux users (like me) who are trying to connect your android device using jmtpfs, can download "jmtpfs" from PPM, and follow my steps below:

Quote:
mkdir /mnt/phone/
jmtpfs /mnt/phone/

Your android phone should now be accessible. Just open your file manager, go to /mnt/phone/ and transfer your files.

After done, to disconnect you phone:
Quote:
fusermount -u /mnt/phone/

And you can safely pull out your cable from the phone. Hope this will help others.
foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2019, 05:15    Post subject: help for tallboy
Subject description: object recognition

tallboy wrote:
I just have to find it, I know that I saw it only a few days ago... Confused Laughing
A real man's cave! Cool!
Maybe this, from rockedge, will help you:
Darknet-YOLO Compiled For Live Cam Stream Object Recognition
tallboy

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2019, 12:07    Post subject:  

Laughing
tallboy

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr 2019, 13:22    Post subject:  

@ rufwoof
I burnt the Dpup Stretch-7.5 with kernel 4 .1.48 to a multisession CD-R. I made the first save at shutdown, and one more random save at a later session. I have now loaded that CD with 2 saved folders into an older PC, and first performed a random save, and then a save at reboot. There are now 4 saved, dated folders on the CD-R.
Everything works as it should. Very Happy
See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1026377#1026377

radky

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2019, 22:26    Post subject:  

jake&marty wrote:
Quote:
My compliments to the brain trust and dedicated worker bees behind DpupStretch-7.5CE. I have found that it outperforms the installations of bionic64, xenial64 and tahr32 I have used over the past few years.

It is obviously limited to 32 bits... yet it flies on my Dell Precision T3500 and runs everything I want (including multiple, simultaneous virtual machines) without breaking a sweat. It recognizes all of my 9GB of ram and uses all 8 CPU cores while occupying less memory and at lower CPU core temperatures than with the above mentioned Puppies. Meanwhile, it hasn't locked up or needed an x-server restart or an OS reboot, not even once.

I'm not sure how you did it but keep up the good work!

I will be excited to run a 64 bit Dpup should that ever become a thing that is a thing.

Thanks again!

Thanks for sharing your experience with Dpup Stretch.

Keep in mind, although our Debian friends are transitioning their stable release from Stretch to Buster, the current Debian Stretch LTS will receive extended support through June 2022, which means our Dpup Stretch will have binary support for 3 more years -- or 21 yrs in Puppy years. Smile

jake&marty

PostPosted: Mon 29 Apr 2019, 10:45    Post subject:  

The Debian developers put Buster on full freeze as of March 12th of this year. That would suggest that the new Stable release could be coming soon.

Of course, I remember when Stretch was in freeze with a Stable release pending... It seems like I passed from my youth into my middle age waiting for that to happen!

I'm not complaining nor am I criticizing the Debian release cycle. Somebody has got to do the hard and unrewarding work of slowly and methodically moving the Stable base OS along. Somebody has got to provide a standard binary code base for all the .deb variants to hang their pretty desktops on. Where would Ubuntu, Mint, Peppermint, etc be with all their fancy functionality and eye candy if their OS base wasn't stable?

Debian development can't be exciting work and it certainly is thankless and prone to getting blamed for not being fast and sexy, but the Debian team does a darn fine job in my opinion.
jake&marty

PostPosted: Mon 29 Apr 2019, 11:43    Post subject:  

It's good to know that DpupStretch-7.5 Will have package support for 3 more years. I like it and I believe I will stick with it for the remaining 3 years!
Page 39 of 46 [687 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: