USB wifi adapters with RealTek RTL8192EU chipset [SOLVED]

davids45

USB wifi adapters with RealTek RTL8192EU chipset [SOLVED]

#1 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Is there a pet of the driver for a couple of (cheap) USB Wifi adapters using this chipset?

Briefly searching specifications on the TP-LinkTL-WN821N V6.0 and Simplecom NW382 usb wifi adapters seemed to me that they both use the same chip-set so would use the same driver.

They both claim on their packaging to be usable in Linux and the accompanying CD has a Linux directory but looks to require someone who knows about compiling (screenshots of a sequence of one CD's directories)?

Further brief searching (Google) suggested I need a rtl8xxxu driver which has replaced older drivers.

In the Forum, I found a link to a collection of pets of RealTek drivers (screenshot) but these seem very kernel-Pup specific.

If there is one, must the driver be kernel-specific or only in/for kernels from a certain date/number version?

Thanks for any help or explanations about these adapters.

David S.

Attachments
CDrootdirectory.jpg
CD with Simplecom adapter opens to include a LINUX diectory
(31.5 KiB) Downloaded 703 times
CD-Linuxdirectory.jpg
clicking the LINUX icon gives this.
(24.62 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
CD-Linuxsubdirectory.jpg
(36.52 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
pets-list-old-maybe-drivers.jpg
old pets - would any work for say, BioinicPup32?
(65.44 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
Last edited by davids45 on Sat 06 Apr 2019, 22:11, edited 2 times in total.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

I tried to look for it in the Ubuntu repo's but only found this.

https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linu ... /README.md

It seems there are some older versions to download and the source code.

Someone who actually knows what is going on should be by soon.

perdido

#3 Post by perdido »

Hi davids45,

Yes those drivers are kernel specific.

Which one of the two versions of Bionicpup 32 are you using as there are two different kernels. You can check kernel version with the command

Code: Select all

uname -r
or it is in pupsysinfo also.

Should be either kernel 4.4.95 or 4.9.163

After you get kernel info then boot with the wifi stick plugged in and type

lsusb
and post that info also, that exactly ID's the wifi stick - they all have a specific ID such as xxxx:yyyy but just copy/paste the whole result if you wish.
That info is helpful to find the firmware for the device.

After we know that the fun begins - I'm hoping someone has already compiled it but I will help more if needed.

davids45

Some USB Wifi adapter listings

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day perdido,

Thanks for replying with something I can do.

I do have an old USB adapter that works in my desktops with Puppy, a micro EDIMAX that seems to use a RealTek chipset. The first screenshot has the kernel information then the lsusb listing with the EDIMAX in use.

I then pulled this out and plugged in a Simplecom NW382 and re-did lsusb (second screenshot, with and without the adapter plugged in). I marked its line with a yellow dot.

I then did the same thing with a TP-Link TL-WN821N adapter (third screenshot). Less detail but there is a line that seemed to be a response to this adapter being plugged in.

I've been trying without success these adapters with Ndiswrapper ( trying the .inf file (XP and W7) from the CD that came with the Simplecom adapter) in a Tahr Pup and Slacko that included a Ndiswrapper module - Bionic32 doesn't have Ndiswrapper?

I have also tried some .pets in Pups (a Tahr and a Slacko, see first post) where the kernels matched the .pet, but no joy.

If I can find just one Pup that will run with these new Wifi Usb adapters, I'll be happy.
I want to use the adapters on three old desktops (HP Smallform) that are for visiting grandchildren (play simple games and watch videos).
These HPs are currently ethernet-connected but I think I may need to switch to WiFi when our National Broadband Network (NBN) arrives here. Other options may be available when I actually have the new NBN modem.

Thanks again,

David S.
Attachments
terminal-output-workingUSB.jpg
kernel details plus lsusb result with a working USB WiFi adapter
(77.55 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
with-without-SimplecomNW382.jpg
some detail in a new line when this non-working adapter is plugged in
(113.02 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
before-after-TPLinkWN821Nv6.jpg
limited information but it does seem to register when plugged in
(114.33 KiB) Downloaded 641 times

perdido

#5 Post by perdido »

Hi davids45

This pet is for the SimplecomNW382 adapter but it may also work for the TPLink adapter because they both use the rtl8192eu chipset.
http://ibm-pc.org/puppy/bionic/realtek- ... .9.163.pet
Please test it and let me know if it works, I had to kind of guess on the right firmware that goes with the driver.
I can't test this due to nothing to test it with.

The driver package was compiled from these sources at github for anyone thats interested.
https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver

If it won't go there are other sources we can try.

You are correct about NDISwrapper and bionic, nobody can get it to work in bionicpup32 so not available.

davids45

Some success!

#6 Post by davids45 »

G'day perdido,

I've installed your pet into my Frugal BionicPup32-801 and after a re-boot, had a quick try with both usb adapters.

Plugging and unplugging each adapter without rebooting between, after pulling out the ethernet plug (my normal connection which had been active); so not necessarily the tidiest way to test things :oops: .

With Dougal's network wizard, both adapters now showed up as wifi receivers. A definite step forward! :D
But neither could log onto to either of my wifi routers - the new TP-Link (our current modem-router) and an old Belkin which is plugged into the TP-Link router as a second wifi option. I could post the final error messages if you need them.

Next trying Frisbee ....
The Simplecom again now showed up but didn't log in to either wifi server :( .
Plugging the TP-Link adapter showed just the old Belkin router but it did log on and has worked long/well enough to now be posting this good result from your work! :D :D

I will do a re-boot of this set-up when I've finished this post, in case I'm just 'first time lucky' (second time real).

I'll try BK's Simple Network option next and see how it goes.

And do some rebooting between my tests.
And try your pet in BionicPup32-800, plus other Bionics with this kernel.

A 'just curious' question: If this driver is kernel-specific, would it work if I switched this 4.9.163 kernel into another Pup (say CosmicCuttle or DiscoDingo, or even a Slacko or a Stretch)?

I'll report back and thanks very much for your help.

David S.
Last edited by davids45 on Mon 08 Apr 2019, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

perdido

#7 Post by perdido »

Hi davids45,

We are making progress but not there yet.
Funny it went opposite of how I thought :) but thats ok, will be nice to get both dongles working on same pet if we can.

Anyways, when you get a chance to test the Simplecom please run

dmesg | grep 'firmware'

to check if the rtl8192eu_nic.bin firmware loaded, it should be since you can see the routers.

Also please check the CD disks that came with the dongle(s) and see if there is a firmware directory with files, may be helpful as I still
am not 100% sure on having the correct firmware in the pet.
I could post the final error messages if you need them.
That could be helpful.

This issue with the connections could still be the driver I chose, in the meantime test like you were going to do and I will try to compile the
other two sources to test.

We also have sources on your CD if we need to try them we can. :wink:

By changing the kernel in the other puppy versions to the 4.9.163 a working pet in one should then work in the other.

perdido

#8 Post by perdido »

Deleted

Last edited by perdido on Sat 06 Apr 2019, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.

davids45

Further tests with the first pet

#9 Post by davids45 »

G'day perdido,

I've been installing your first pet onto three HP Smallform desktops and after updating each to BionicPup32 (from an earlier, different kernel version BionicPup), find both the TP-Link WN821N-v6 and Simplecom-NW382 usb wifi adapters are working after a re-boot. Download speed looks quite good for these 300Mbps cheapies (paid A$16 and A$10 respectively).

BK's Simple Network tool and Frisbee in the Network Wizard allowed easy connections to both my current wireless routers (both WPA2).

I'm hoping when we switch from our present ADSL2 to a cable-connected NBN with its new "SMART" modem, there'll be no problem (with the adapers at least). This new modem-router will be located in the next room unlike presently where the routers are in the same room as the computers.

I'll use my main desktop (another HP Smallform) to test your two later pets, to check they work with these adapters, and maybe to see if any appear better or worse.

Thanks again for your help.

David S.
Last edited by davids45 on Mon 08 Apr 2019, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

perdido

#10 Post by perdido »

Hi davids45.

Glad to help.

I pulled those two other driver pets but if you think either of them work better post it here and will relist, don't want too many variations of the same
pet file could get confusing. :)

I somehow missed your remark about testing the other two pets and kind of jumped the gun but they still exist so easy to redo the links.

davids45

DiscoDingo with Cheap USB wifi adapters

#11 Post by davids45 »

G'day perdido,

I'd already tested your now-withdrawn, other versions of the RealTek driver for my "el-cheapo" USB wifi adapters.

For this testing, I made a clean frugal of peebee's DiscoDingo (Alpha) which has the same kernel as his BionicPup32 (4.9.163).

With Frisbee and BK's Simple Network, both adapters could be connected with both your new pets via Frisbee and Barry's Simple wizard.

With Dougal's Network wizard, they did not connect but were detected - I think Dougal's wizard doesn't give enough time (30 seconds only) to the wifi connection to happen before aborting. I have preferred Dougal's in the past for ethernet connections which happen much, much faster than wifi.

I ran an on-line test of the wifi connection with each adapter which reported these had "typical" speeds (8 down and 1 up).

I also tested my old TP-Link wifi usb adapter that has an Atheros chip-set (it's version 3.0 whereas my new TP-Link is version 6.0).
This old adapter had worked in every Puppy I've tried it on so I was fooled into rushing in to buy what I thought was another Puppy-universal add-on :oops: :oops: .
The old TP-Link also has a green LED which is lit when the connection is working. Oddly, the LEDs on the new TP-Link and the Simplecom don't light up when connected in Puppy (they do in Windows7).
Similar speeds with the old TP-Link but it seemed to scan for local wifi signals a little better.
I'll keep this fits-all-Puppies old wifi adapter for my main HP desktop.
I've now switched the grandkids' three HP computers from ethernet to wifi via the el-cheapo adapters with your pet. A child-free test with them all on at the same time and running a u-tube video looked OK. It may be different when they are actually all here hitting the keys.
I haven't found a 'huge kernel' of 4.9.163 to try in another Pup (e.g. Slacko, Stretch) but these kids' computers are OK with just one Pup so Bionic32 is all they need.

Thanks,

David S.