Using PaleMoon in BionicPup.

Using applications, configuring, problems
Jake

Using PaleMoon in BionicPup.

#1 Post by Jake »

I really like PM for it can do some the things for which I truly liked Opera 12; but O 12 is now so long in the tooth that it will not play video junks, and some pages don't load properly -- but I have got round that by enabling all security protocols in preferences. Be that as it may, if you have a PM that has QuickJava installed you can disable javascript, java, flash, cookies, images, animated images, & styles. PM updates keep QJ at least to 28.4.1. However QJ is gone from the PM add-ons site, but it can be found elsewhere.

I surf with PM disabling js, j, f, silverlight [just because, since I don't know if sl functions in Linux], images, & animated images most of the time. It is very fast --we barely have high speed internet. Now one can do the same thing in FF, but QJ is legacy and no longer works past 57[?]. This is what's very nice. Enable images and leave aforementioned disabled, and you get images. Not so with FF. Most sites will not give you images unless script is enabled -- and then you get all the dancing ponies you don't want.

So when I added BionicPup to my multiboot I knew I wouldn't be able have PM they way I liked. Yes there is a very nice extension, but it goes the way of FF -- no pics without script enabled. So, I decided to do what I do with my PortableApp sticks -- just update one, and then copy the apps to other sticks. Copied .moonchild productions dir to nerdstick from PM set up my way in XenialPup. Booted Bionic. Deleted its .moonchild productions and pasted in the Xenial copy. Viola! Everything copacetic so far, and I'm using PM right now. Happy as a hog in mud time!

Of course make a copy of your save file before you try; and tell PaleMoon, bring back QuickJava.

NEW JUNKS
QJ is the only extention I have in PM. I have applied FF speed ups via config that apply. I have not tried installing QJ from github or anywhere else. Until I used the above paste method I had Block Content from https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ... -security/ It worked well except for above as noted. (What I REALLY miss from Opera is TILE; Opera would tile every tab opened. FF has several tilers, but no cigar.) I have now pasted the XenialPup PM into all Pup64's I'm using, and I was unsurprised to paste it into Slacko 6.3 and have it work just as flawless. Also, look here for old extentions: https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases [Don't know what there]. I suppose there is some way to post the .moonchild dir for download, but I'm not sure anyone would want to install/paste into their Pup.
Last edited by Jake on Tue 09 Apr 2019, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

The last PM compatible version, Mate..

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 21#1020121
Attachments
qj_2041.jpg
(22.57 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

dogle

#3 Post by dogle »

I'm very glad you posted this, jake, because I'm new to PM and really struggling to bend it into the sort of shape I prefer.

Especially, I want to be rid of those dancing ponies etc. - clearly, we think alike, but you are way ahead of me on the practicalities of fixing things in PM.

Could you please add some more detail on how you set things up your way in the first place? ( e.g. were you able to do things by being a wiz in the dark arts of tweaking about.config - if so, how? - or were you able to apply some handy third-party downloads - if so, what?).

In my frustration, I yelped for help here a few days ago:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115550

- the ensuing lack of public response may indicate that a lot more folks out there may value your knowledge.

(PS Semme just got in there ahead of me).

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

dogle wrote:I'm very glad you posted this, jake, because I'm new to PM and really struggling to bend it into the sort of shape I prefer.

Especially, I want to be rid of those dancing ponies etc. - clearly, we think alike, but you are way ahead of me on the practicalities of fixing things in PM.

Could you please add some more detail on how you set things up your way in the first place? ( e.g. were you able to do things by being a wiz in the dark arts of tweaking about.config - if so, how? - or were you able to apply some handy third-party downloads - if so, what?).

In my frustration, I yelped for help here a few days ago:

- the ensuing lack of public response may indicate that a lot more folks out there may value your knowledge.

(PS Semme just got in there ahead of me).
For Palemoonies.

uBlock Origin (an extension available in palemoon) using default settings blocks all images larger than 50k but leaves a box where the image would be
that you can click on and view the image.Or set it smaller than 50k.

If you install uBlock Origin, to choose size of images go to Tools--->Add-ons-->Choose preferences in uBlock and then click on Dashboard.
Right there looking back at you. Don't ask me about changing the other settings <g> Also noscript is a wonderful extension.

If using noscript and the web site does not show , a lot of times you can just go View--->Page Style--->No Style works really well with most news sites.
Or slick the little S in lower right and allow cookies from the site. Lets you choose cookies one-by-one until site shows.

Last edited by perdido on Sat 06 Apr 2019, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

I want to be rid of those dancing ponies etc
I did not get any of those? :?

I want dancing ponies! :roll:

I find Palemoon is great, though I prefer Seamonkey
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dogle

#6 Post by dogle »

Riiiight ... I’ve installed uBlockOrigin, which seems to be the answer to some/many of my prayers (Thanksabundle, perdido, for the headsup!).

There used to be a toggle-animation addon - which might have been handy for Lobster? - but it seems this is no longer ‘supported’, so I’ve had to nuke those damned dancing ponies by going into about:config and resetting the animations line from ‘normal’ to ‘none’ (works, bliss!).

I’ve used NoScript happily for many years in SeaMonkey, but there seems to be a serious problem as of last May when the PM devs (very controversionally) sought to blacklist it.

I’m about to post further about this wrinkle in the ‘browser extensions’ thread:

- mikeslr having today sensibly proposed that that be a general liason thread, with Flash’s agreement.

a_salty_dogg

#7 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Lobster wrote:
I want dancing ponies! :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekr05T9Iaio :lol:

Thank me later :D

Jake

#8 Post by Jake »

As an addendum to using PM in BioPup this illustrates a grand thing about Pups and the ability to save save files. I save my files on nerdsticks and if anything goes wrong I just delete and paste the saved .4fs. I have even pasted save files from one computer to another with no problems. For those who use FF as their primary and endured the whacky recent mechanizations Moz foisted upon users this save ability is a joy.

Just a few beefs about Moz missteps: Moz let a certificate expire? Give me a break! Moz people have been ruining FF for years -- people want the web extensions, and they don't want them phased out or made useless. It's just a scam to force upgrades & encourage the use of graphics & script which more easily can keep track of users. PROOF: Started a Pup this AM 5/15/2019 and went offline. Opened FF 62.0.3 to check things. Up until you could not choose, Never Upgrade in FF that was always my choice. While offline FF disabled extensions. Went online and FF began to dnld 66.0.5! Now what do we call programs that dnld unauthorized? Virus? Adware? Spyware? Malware? How's about just a little bit fascist?

Unknown to some Moz is beholden to GOOG, and alla GOOG's browsers are spyware: chrome, chromium, even iron. All the major browers except FF & PM [which some would not call major] use GOOG's Blink layout engine. Even today Opera 12 runs faster than most, especially set up right; however, a lot of that is because pages have got so busy; and, Opera no longer does A/V, but you can have VLC play a lot of junks. The Opera founders sold out to GOOG, realized their mistake and started Vivaldi, a pale pale imitation of Opera and it uses the Blink engine, just like the "new" Opera. See http://www.oldapps.com/. .deb programs of Opera 12 install no problem in every Puppy I've ever tried. Laters, a tip 'o the hat to users.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Thanks for the advice @Jake and the dancing ponies are most welcome on my picnic trips to the Buddhist Hell Realms. :roll:
http://newbuddhist.com/bestof/everything

Palemoon is a great browser AND data collection is the new corrupt currency. The ONLY known real life breach of Puppy Security is through browsers which is true of all unhardened browsers poorly configured. Tsk tsk ...

Our virus protectors compromised us. Javascript compromised our browsers. We gave our data freely to FarceBookie and gambled on Tor from the CIA (yuk). :shock:

... where is my tin hat ... and GROWL 8)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... c0#1024555

and now back to the Pale Moon ... :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jake

#10 Post by Jake »

OK. This is why I am so agin images, video, & various graphic junks --junks is a HI pidgin word I picked up that covers, alla da slop in the stewpot that you don't want enurmerate-- java, script [javascript is not the only one out www, & Opera {12} turns off scripting languages]: There is no truth in pictures, images, video and we do not need to think to look at an image; nor do we need talent or ability, merely sight. To understand an image though, we must think. Thus we learn to read, but we spend our time watching TV. In doing so we put our cogitative abilities on hold, so that we can look at the images, images moving so fast we cannot comprehend them, simply look at them. Images do not convey words and sentences, but words and sentences can convey images; however, images powerfully convey emotion. Because we are more sensitive to visual imagery, television is replacing words and sentences in importance; and because words and sentences --languages-- form the integrality of cogitation, we are gradually thinking less, and thinking less proficiently. It seems we would rather watch TV, video, game, etc & alla dat jazz. However, we do not live by our images, but by our words. For example, we do not say, "You can count on his image," or "He gave his image," or "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every image that proceeds from God." This is why whenever substantial and important issues are televised it's people talking. Nevertheless, television's (video/www) pervasiveness and predominant focus projects the illusion that image is more important, and what we live by. When one wants to manipuate and control people it is best done with image and emotion. This is why people who use social media are more depressed, triggered, & controlled than the average bear. This is why your average webitizen doesn't get the following joke: Descartes bumbles into a bar, orders a drink, and slugs it down. The bartender asks, "Want another?" Descartes says, "I think not," and promptly disappears. What Marty Balin said about TV, "All I see is draining me, on my plastic fantastic lover," can be said about video/www (Balin, Marty, "Plastic Fantastic Lover," from the album Surrealistic Pillow, by Jefferson Airplane, copyright 1967, RCA). Now consider, who or what profits most from TV/video/www? Can ya say guvmint? The growth of government also proves that we are thinking less, or at least thinking less proficiently. Consider, what thinking citizenry would encourage government encroachment in their lives? A trusting citizenry would. An unthinking, or unknowing citizenry would. However, a confounded, bamboozled, perplexed and fearful population is best. Television/video/www does this enchantingly. Now some might say, "No, it's GOOG, FB, & MSFT." Yes these are the top three NGO evil enities in da world, but note how China has hog tied GOOG AAPL & how the EU is working to do even more. Television/video/www are the formats of choice to control and manipulate people. Television/video/www . . . is the opium of the people. "Television/video/www is gum for the eyes," yclept Fred Allen, paraphrased. Nevertheless, these are things that can be turned off. Pale Moon is the browser that let's one do this more easily than others. Block Content https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ... -security/ does a pretty decent job. One can have a text browser, Lynx for instance, to surf for info and a fully enabled browser to look at that coffee maker you wanna buy. PM can be used that way and FF run to just check junks.

Opera 12 had these junks built in, not extensioned. I wish someone could update that O & bring it back; I'd buy it, just like you had to when Opera first hit the web. While I'm wishing, flexxxpup, Macpup --the prettiest Pup that ever was-- come on back & update.

Why Television/video/www will go on, and on, and on, and . . . "Two things are infinite; the Universe and human stupidity - and I'm not sure about the Universe." - Albert Einstein

backi

#11 Post by backi »

Macpup --the prettiest Pup that ever was-- come on back & update.
Fully agree !!!!

Jake

The Beauty of Linux

#12 Post by Jake »

Here I am in MacPup 511 & gonna paste in PM, but right now using FF45 as it will not update past that. Enlightenment is just so pretty & so muscular it does what many a WM cannot. 511 was my favortie, but 528 & 529 close. Did not like 550. GOTO
http://macpup.org/ to see the MacPups.

For those who don't know, GOTO
https://archive.org/browse.php?field=su ... puppylinux
to see well over 300, yes over 300, Pups. Oh, Barry, who woulda thunk, eh?

Jake

Legacy add-ons site

#13 Post by Jake »

Find here http://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/ from Aaapptabs to Zybez RuneScape Help Official Toolbar . . . so, a lot. QuickJava is there too.

Something obvious but often unnoticed: if it installs, works, & you like it -- keep it. This goes for more than extensions, but add-ons is what we’re talkin’ bout. Many FF exts work in PM still, like QuickJava, so, first sentence. Hopefully the PM folks will not do a Mozilla book burning and trash hundreds (Ks?) of exts that people like; all that people before profit schtick that papers Moz’s website it just nonsense, they purposely trashed add-ons that people liked, and do not forget the time & hard work that the authors did! Notice how FF user web share never grows. How does that profit anybody?

Because you can save Puppy file systems keeping things that work remain easy, and often easy to transfer to other Pups. Take this BionicPup, PM works and looks the way I want it to, FF does not. FF will not use the desktop settings that make it look and function as I want. If I choose multiple sites for Homepage, or just one, FF opens Homepage at start -- something I had never experienced before. Nothing tried ever fixed this, not using the colors I wanted can be lived with. But viola! copied the .mozilla dir from Xenial and pasted it into Bionic and at least the Homepage problem solved. However, if Homepage prefs messed with something happens and they open at FF start, this goes for Xenial64 too. I noticed that my four sites used for Homepage stopped being displayed in Preferences, but they work. PM still functions properly with Homepage, multiple or otherwise.