Remastering Puppy - unleashed CD files

Using applications, configuring, problems
craftybytes

Remastering Puppy - unleashed CD files

#1 Post by craftybytes »

Correct me if I'm wrong with this - but when one uses the Unleashed CD to make up one's OWN flavour of Puppy - that during the 'createpuppy' process - a "rootfs-complete" folder is generated with virtually everything from '/' & below included - which basically is ALL of Puppy's operating files + ALL 'personal' configuration files and setups + ALL 'personal' data/info files ..etc..?

If this is the case - were I to make any 'changes/updates' to any of the files within this "rootfs-complete" folder - I would hope such 'changes/updates' would then be included in the final ".iso" file..... is this correct..?
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you do it during one of the pauses between the creation of rootfs-complete and the creation of pup_xxx.sfs, yes. Otherwise, no because that folder gets refreshed from the individual packages each time you run the createpuppy script.

The preferred way to make changes is to do it in the actual package files, which would make the changes persistent. Making changes to rootfs-complete will only affect that single build you're making, unless you do the same thing every time you run it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

craftybytes

#3 Post by craftybytes »

Thanks pizzasgood for that - I was aware of doing changes to the packages and have done so many times for my various 'flavours' of Puppy - but the only thing is - I'm not sure there are any 'packages' or such for all of the "control/configuration..etc" scripts that Barry and others of the development team have put together to 'run' Puppy..

The only place that I can find these scripts is in the - 'rootfs-complete' - folder - so where are they normally before they get transferred into the 'rootfs-complete' folder during the "createpuppy" process..?

I would like to possibly make 'changes' to these scripts before the "createpuppy" process is actually started..!!

Really don't want to have to do these changes 'post-burn' of Puppy and then have them saved to the "pup_save.sfs" file - when I really would like them to be incorporated into the 'base' puppy system - so no 'saving' of them is needed - if you see what I mean ..!!
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

Amfiarz

#4 Post by Amfiarz »

You can make changes in every script in unleashed. I think the good moment for doing so is when you are prompted to confirm making .iso file, at the very end of creating puppy. You do changes to scripts, then you press Enter in console with ./createpuppy script, and it generates beautiful iso with all the changes.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Locating things is one of the hardest parts of Unleashed. When in doubt, look in 0rootfs-skeleton. Stuff relevant to configuring X might be in the Xorg package.

If you know where it should be in rootfs-complete, you can run a search through packages/ to find it. Suppose something should be at /usr/local/share/whatever. Do this in the packages/ directory:
for i in *; do [ -e $i/usr/local/share/whatever ] && echo "$i";done
That should spit out which package it is. There are actual find scripts that could probably do a better job, but this is the only thing I know off the top of my head.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

craftybytes

#6 Post by craftybytes »

Thanks - will follow up..