(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Sep 2020, 02:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Truly off-topic conversations
The case of Deepin - yet another Linux
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 17:33    Post subject:  The case of Deepin - yet another Linux  

I did install the actual deepin-15.9.2Beta-stable-amd64.iso and the last deepin-15.7-amd64.isoDeepin to see what is the matter with that distribution.

With the actual one I can begin nothing more that with my good BionicPup (and can forget it actually! I suppose that the depository will get more app's in later time).

Completely different is the last one version:

It supplies in 64-bit the most goodies being difficult to find for the our Puppy's (else if they are available; the problem is in Puppy where are they available Exclamation . In a thread with 500 hundred messages of our forum? ) and react as a stable rolling distro more than a time limited release!

And as it is a Debian / Ubuntu derivative product, it probably would be easy to build as some «DeePuppy» with woof-CE excepted perhaps that the maintain of the extreme compatibility between software of very different age can be a problem or get loose stripping for the Puppy concept Wink

Examples of installed software:

- google-browser and deepin-wine as well as pulseaudio are preinstalled, nothing to do
- deepin supplies a lot of attractive graphic and music software as deepin-this and deepin-that, including utilities prepared to have a really attractive look
- qt is the base of the deepin look (this permit a lot of highly attractive software without installation of more graphical dependencies)

- divers well known browsers like Seamonkey 2.49.2 (the actual one would be 2.49.4. The little difference is ok as it cames from a last release of Deepin), Tor, FF, 3 different packages for flashplugin (for google, opera and ff (*1 )

- scratch2 with AdobeAir (*2 for Linux complete from the Deepin depository (*3
- skype for Linux working well
- an extremely rich Deepin store (free, no payment) with all great Puppy goodies including rox-filer, mTpaint, MHwaveedit, etc.
- the use of apt (or synaptic, no problem to install it with apt, but apt is really so good and the deepin terminal so adequate to use, no need!) permit to install those Puppy goodies not directly being to found in the deepin store like didiwiki, youtube-dl etc.

and more:

- the version of xvidcap from our "forum Fred" for 64bit dogs works well installed with dpkg and apt (deepin offers an own screen recorder! it is only interesting for those as I not willing to learn a new application again as the old one is good and nothing else to do as use...)

- the special version of Xombrero (*4, the famous security browser, for Lubuntu (based on webkitgtk (rel. 1!), and acquired from the private depository from a Lubuntu main maintainer of «Lubuntu minimal», a special installations mode of Lubuntu ) continues to work perfectly with all the difficult web pages that I know (and I know a lot of them) if you did install from Deepin the flashplugin for Firefox. The installation is not easy but legal and (probably) possible adding the ppa in /etc/apt (but not needing as I copy in this message the adequate little deb package). Using that copied package, you will use dpkg -i and follow the instructions as the error message about missing dependencies appears! More details here in a separate dedicated threat minimal howto

Deepin comes with an own office (without draw) optimized for M$-Office documents. For those under the users searching for compatibility more than the use of an open document format, as well as for those having to write in far east languages, it is probably ideal and light compared with some OO or LO (also present at the Deepin depository); ab. the size of the Gnome office.

You can find in the depository from Deepin a really great number of applications like in Debian or Ubuntu:

-jwm, xfce4, lxde and lxqt (with a lot of goodies, not always available in precedent releases of other distros...),
-gimp, divers CAD's etc,
-virtualization both qemu and virtualbox,
-(really) a lot of goodies for music, videos and medias,
-google maps and earth, marble-qt, merkaartor,
-kturtel, ucblogo, forth, valac, prolog,
-genealogic software like gramps,
-ocr software perfect else for difficult local languages in all variantes (like tesseract-ocr for vertical (*6 chinese (both simpl. / trad.) (*7
-all available input methods inclusive for Tamil etc. (but better as input methods installation for learners is probably the use of http://inputking.com. It offers the picture of the used virtual keyboard, spell checking using hunspell is possible as far the browser allow that, and resize of the editor field are possible to long size). Only don't forget to install the needing fonts (*5 !

Notes:
(*1 that last ff version is probably the best for other browsers
(*2 only very bitter drops: Windowsists and Macists have access to better AdobeAir and a scratch3 version, both not available in Linux!
(*3 for the most Puppyists probably new land pure! But what a new land! Accede to easy programming with sounds and videos including capture Exclamation without to need to write romans of code (no code at all, only parameters, like quantities, limits, and define constant and variable values)
(*4 especially, yes, youtube works in that old rel. of Xombrero!
(*5 You also need fonts to learn one of 99 other languages from http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/ (yes, above xombrero is able to able to offers correct writing and sound on those pages! No need from Google or Mozilla browser! Encourage other browser developers than the the monopolist ones using browsers like xombrero, luakit, vimprobable! If their browsers have fans, they perhaps will be encouraged and continue to develop them and we all will be more independent from decisions reducing our freedom in communication!
(*6 So you are able to "read" Chinese books without to learn all the signs and give each sentence to translate in http://translate.google.com Idea . Chinese dealer does exactly the same in the other direction in ebay etc. but, great difference, from printed book, not from email client of Puppy Wink .
(*7 Chinese people paints from top to foot and a lot of books are also printed as them would be paint. Scanning horizontal gives no sens any more! You have to recognize or try out if the signs are simplified, they are often really looking simplified, or traditionnal written and best is to install both! Vertical and horizontal as well as simplified and traditional!

reedited informations
xombrero_1.6.4-3vanir1~16.04_amd64.gz
Description  pls rename in *.deb before invoquing dpkg !
gz

Download 
Filename  xombrero_1.6.4-3vanir1~16.04_amd64.gz 
Filesize  226.21 KB 
Downloaded  13 Time(s) 

Last edited by oui on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 03:45; edited 1 time in total
wiak

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr 2019, 02:50    Post subject:  

My seven year old is addicted to scratch - he plays/programs it from XenialDog64, but not installed locally - he uses the online scratch site. I never taught him any of it, though his older brother got him started a little I think. Mainly he just chops and changes things and seems to be learning by doing as well as watching occasional youtube videos on the subject. I find his interest quite amazing really since he gets excited just with quite simple stuff - moving an object about the screen and making it turn or fire bullets (previously he was a minetest addict). The other day he found a scratch program that captured sound from laptop microphone - he started chopping up that program to make it do things in a different way; it amazes me that he absolutely understands the idea of repeat...until, and if...then...else statements along with using variables and simple arithmetic involving X and Y coordinates - all just from spending (too many) hours each day chopping up pre-existing scratch programs and writing his own variants...

But I am having trouble getting him to do his usual school homework.

wiak

oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr 2019, 15:39    Post subject:  

Hi Wiak,

Yes Scratch2 is very interesting for such little men and women (why not also women?). As my son was in the age he did get one of the first IBM PC's as play tool that he did buy itself from own money! But there was a condition: He did have to make the IBM Works training from Original IBM training software (5" old floppies! I thing they are here in the house 30 years later!). Why? Because that training software was able to mark which training daily part you did at this day exercise and how was the success Wink ! He did and is now doctor of medicine! There was no Scratch2 at this time but the begin of UCB logo! The books of Brian Harvey, "Computer Science Logo Style", are now downloadable for free on the web (I have then printed on paper at home) and show how performant those "solutions for children education" can be...

Scratch2, and probably Scratch3, are not only interesting for children as as you report open the way to simple access to most modern communication technology! Pls download the books and show your son the site http://www.basic-english.org/institute.html (I am contributor on it since 2003 Wink ). He can as young man learn faster and use English reading the books of Brian Harvey and other!

Pls, I am sorry, I did forget in my list of applications in Deepin the educational stuff "granule"and "parley": they are "flash cards" applications to exercise the learning of stuff like vocabulary (or all other knowledges)! A youtube video shows how to manage alone the stuff handle by "granule" if no educator can help...

And I would recommend to him to experiment with BASIC Linux (*1, not only with BASIC English Laughing (a Linux introduction did exist especially made for the use with baslin but I can not find a download depository any more and did not record myself that highly interesting educative stuff...)

good luck whit that stuff!

(* based on Slackware 4.x
oui

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 16:52    Post subject:  

see also http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1024919#1024919
oui

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2019, 08:47    Post subject:  

at Distrowatch, Deepin is now there where Puppy was: rang 10 (Puppy was also at rang 9!).

why?

the old stable 15.7 is probably the most useful one for private users because it offers the widest choice of applications (divers offices, a lot of CAD app's, but also browsers like xombrero, luakit, midori, google chrome, seamonkey (Seamonkey on Chinese Embarassed , for the most of us = need of reinstallation in one of our languages at the same place in /opt. This probably because Debian and Ubuntu have it not any more ), etc. but also skype for Linux, flash plugin (at the same depository! = no surprise, yes, it works!)

The new stable 15.10 also exist now but in the last time, the store was more or less empty!

A DeePup would certainly be a success because of the great among of applications (as long the Deepin depository exist: Deepin will probably move to Debian depository, and it can be a reason don't to offer actual the same wide store as for Deepin 15.7!
oui

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul 2019, 17:04    Post subject:  

Today I did update my Deepin installation as I do each announce of new Deepin at Distrowatch.

And all dld happen without claim (one time more, as I did install it as rel. 15.7).

Deepin itself did confirm me after restart it is now a real Deepin 15.11! There are a lot of stages between 1.7:

15.8, 15.9, ..., etc.

And all old goodies that I did install seems to be preserved! Testing the more oldest shows that the most of them will continue to work!

Is Deepin the only one Linux distro being able to upgrade without to, yes, it is possible to say that, destroy the advantages of precedent releases?

If you reinstall Debian or Ubuntu (and other ones, a lot) you will be forced to renounce to reinstall a lot of your preferred old software because it is not at the depository, or you have to learn how to pin and will be accused to have build a monster, say people of Debian or Ubuntu.

Has Deepin the dependencies so revised, that this distro as both the comportment of a rolling distro, always actual, and simultaneously of a full upgradable distro with development stages?

For Puppy, this would be have GIANT advantages: the compatibility of packages from version to version, one of the biggest problems of Puppy!

Bravo, the Deepin guy's for that great development and thank giving me to unify most modern Linux technologie and traditional Linux packages!

Sorry that no DeepinPup or DeepinDog (excepted the one cancelled in the past( exist...

List of my installed app' s in Xwindow (and I have, other that, a lot more in CLI, esp. for development etc.):

apps.com.kanjian.radio.desktop
appurl.desktop
aqemu.desktop
audacity.desktop
bamf-2.index
bluefish.desktop
calibrate_lens_gui.desktop
chromium.desktop
composer.desktop
darktable.desktop
dde-computer.desktop
dde-control-center.desktop
dde-file-manager.desktop
dde-introduction.desktop
dde-trash.desktop
deepin
deepin-appstore.desktop
deepin-clone.desktop
deepin-cloud-print-configurator.desktop
deepin-cloud-scan-configurator.desktop
deepin-deb-installer.desktop
deepin-editor.desktop
deepin-feedback.desktop
deepin-font-installer.desktop
deepin-graphics-driver-manager.desktop
deepin-manual.desktop
deepin-metacity.desktop
deepin-movie.desktop
deepin-music.desktop
deepin-picker.desktop
deepin-screen-recorder.desktop
deepin-system-monitor.desktop
deepin-terminal.desktop
deepin-toggle-desktop.desktop
deepin-voice-recorder.desktop
deepin-wm.desktop
deepin-wm-multitaskingview.desktop
deepin-wm-wayland.desktop
defaults.list
display-im6.q16.desktop
evince.desktop
evince-previewer.desktop
featherpad.desktop
filezilla.desktop
flash-player-properties.desktop
fotoxx.desktop
freefilesync.desktop
gcr-prompter.desktop
gcr-viewer.desktop
geoclue-where-am-i.desktop
gimp.desktop
ginkgocadx.desktop
gksu.desktop
google-chrome.desktop
google-earth.desktop
gparted.desktop
gramps.desktop
granule.desktop
hplj1020.desktop
hugin.desktop
iron_backup.desktop
iron.desktop
kipiplugins.desktop
ktelnetservice5.desktop
laptop-mode-tools.desktop
links2.desktop
luakit.desktop
marble_geojson.desktop
merkaartor.desktop
mhwaveedit.desktop
mimeapps.list
mimeinfo.cache
mpv.desktop
mtpaint.desktop
muse.desktop
nomnom.desktop
ocrfeeder.desktop
onboard-settings.desktop
openjdk-8-policytool.desktop
org.gnome.FileRoller.desktop
org.kde.digikam.desktop
org.kde.kturtle.desktop
osmo.desktop
pad.desktop
pdfshuffler.desktop
pencil2d.desktop
PlayOnLinux.desktop
PTBatcherGUI.desktop
pto_gen.desktop
python2.7.desktop
python3.6.desktop
qcad.desktop
ranger.desktop
rawtherapee.desktop
realtimesync.desktop
redshift.desktop
remote-viewer.desktop
root-rox.desktop
rox.desktop
rxvt-unicode.desktop
sakura.desktop
scratch2.desktop
screensavers
SeaMonkey-Composer-html-editor.desktop
seamonkey.desktop
seamonkey-private.desktop
simple-scan.desktop
skypeforlinux.desktop
synaptic.desktop
system-config-printer.desktop
tilem2.desktop
turtleart.desktop
ufraw.desktop
viewnior.desktop
virt-manager.desktop
virtualbox.desktop
winetricks.desktop
wpcom.desktop
wps-office-et.desktop
wps-office-wpp.desktop
wps-office-wps.desktop
xdg-desktop-portal-gtk.desktop
xdm.desktop
xfce4-appfinder.desktop
xfce4-run.desktop
xombrero.desktop
yelp.desktop

Note: the Deepin own app' s, see in the list under Deepin, are great! esp. the full integrated "console": hitting on Alt+F2, you can always do all in Deepin in CLI without to have to open a console window separately or quit the graphic mode!
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Truly off-topic conversations
Jump to: