Slimjet web browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
DuMar

#161 Post by DuMar »

OscarTalks wrote:Slimjet 20.0.4.0
Works in Dpup Stretch and probably Xenial and Bionic
Repackaged as .pet and .sfs and uploaded strictly for testing
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB?force_show=1
Works fine in Xenial 32 I used the SFS. Good alternative for the Palemoon 29 edtion.

Thnx Oscar

DuMar

#162 Post by DuMar »

However I did find a small problem:

Using Xenial 32 frugal install. And I use slimjet 2.0 SFS (yadi.sk)

When I want an e-mail (I use sylpheed) to open with a browser because there's html in it I use "open with" and slimjet.

The browser opens and the tab says: file not found. The link is

file:///root/.sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp/mimetmp-5.html

When I copy/paste this in Palemoon it opens. When I use open with and choose Palemoon it opens also. When I go to .sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp and click on mimetemp-5.html I get the same error in Slimjet.

Has this something to do wtih spot? Is there a solution?

Sylvander

#163 Post by Sylvander »

slimjet-20.0.4.0-i686.sfs doesn't run in Slacko-5.7.0-pae. :(

slimjet-14.0.16.0-slack14.0.sfs does run: that's what I normally use. :D

OscarTalks

#164 Post by OscarTalks »

DuMar wrote:However I did find a small problem:

Using Xenial 32 frugal install. And I use slimjet 2.0 SFS (yadi.sk)

When I want an e-mail (I use sylpheed) to open with a browser because there's html in it I use "open with" and slimjet.

The browser opens and the tab says: file not found. The link is

file:///root/.sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp/mimetmp-5.html

When I copy/paste this in Palemoon it opens. When I use open with and choose Palemoon it opens also. When I go to .sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp and click on mimetemp-5.html I get the same error in Slimjet.

Has this something to do wtih spot? Is there a solution?
Hello DuMar

I do not have a definite answer for this, but it probably is a limitation caused by the fact that Slimjet is running as spot but Sylpheed is running as root. I can get some of the other Chromium derivative browsers to run as root if I sacrifice sandbox (eg Vivaldi), but Slimjet refuses to run as root whatever I try. Not sure if running Sylpheed as spot as well might be a solution. This would probably mean that the .html file would be

file:///root/spot/.sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp/mimetmp-5.html

The Sylpheed profile would be under /root/spot and it would have the correct permissions for Slimjet

Although I have compiled Sylpheed in the past I have never actually used it. I only ever use webmail. Maybe someone else will know for sure how to solve this.
Oscar in England

Sailor Enceladus

#165 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Sylvander wrote:slimjet-20.0.4.0-i686.sfs doesn't run in Slacko-5.7.0-pae. :(

Same here :D

pp4mnklinux

version 20 INSTALLED. Slimjet web browser

#166 Post by pp4mnklinux »

@mikeslr

I installed versión 20 of slimjet at XENIAL PUP 7.5 X64 doing a SMALL TRICK.

First of all, I modified the name of the slimjet folder located at host (to save what works)

Then I downloaded the 18 pet versión of this soft, located at: https://t.co/vEVfshPfZW

I change the name too, and then I downloaded the last SLIMJET versión (20) from the official page, (tar.gz x64) I uncompressed it and now its working.

ITS REALLY FAST.- TRYING

HAVE A NICE DAY

stvjhson wrote:I've run into this Slimjet browser a few days ago. It is from the same company (FlashPeak) which made the SlimBoat browser. To clarify the difference, SlimBoat is based on the community-maintained webkit while Slimjet is based on Google's blink engine. As a matter of fact, most browser vendors have chosen to go with Blink and I guess FlashPeak has decided to follow the suit.

The linux version is released a couple of days ago. I tried it on precise puppy 5.7.1 and it works smoothly. They provide a 50+ MB tar.xz archive which you can just extract and run out of the box.

As far as features are concerned, most of the features available in Chromium are kept while there are an impressive set of additional features such as facebook sharing, customizable toolbar, video downloading, etc (similar to SlimBoat). And yes, it can sync all the bookmarks in your google account and is compatible with most Chrome extensions.

I've attached a screenshot of Slimjet running on precise 5.7.1.

The home page is http://www.slimjet.com
The download page is http://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage.php

On the download page, choose the 32-bit tar.xz zip package.
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

belham2

#167 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
Sylvander wrote:slimjet-20.0.4.0-i686.sfs doesn't run in Slacko-5.7.0-pae. :(

Same here :D

Same here, sort of.

This is using rg66's X-tahr2.0-XFCE & trying Oscar's SFS differing versions. The 14.0.16.sfs runs crazy fast in X-tahr2.0-XFCE. But any of the other SFSes, on up to the latest 20 sfs, from Oscar's download, refuses to run/start.

I've tried unsquashfs/mksquashfs and copying in just certain files from Slimjet 20 version back the 14 version, but no luck.

Anyone get anything higher than Slimjet version 14 working in 32-bit Slacko and/or X-Tahrs?

DuMar

#168 Post by DuMar »

Sure, I use Slimjet 20.0.4.0

Works fine in Xenial 32 I used the SFS. Good alternative for the Palemoon 29 edtion.

Terry H

#169 Post by Terry H »

I downloaded peebee's slimjet_lxsc_spot_21.0.3.0.sfs. I replaced an earlier slimjet_19.sfs. It's working fine in stretch puppy 7.5 rc3.

Marv

#170 Post by Marv »

I just updated my 32 bit Slimjet from peebees 21.0.3.0 run-as-spot to 21.0.8.0, also running as spot. I'm running them in LxPupSc 19.01 +2, upupbb 18.05 +26, upupcc 18.10 +14, and LxPupBionic 18.05 +23. The only problem I had with 21.0.3.0 was that entering some router admin pages it would crash -a known bug- fixed in 21.0.8.0.

I downloaded the 32b 21.0.8.0 deb from Flashpeak-Slimjet, extracted it to a dir, added the libs required for slackware (same as in 21.0.3.0) and the run-as-spot scripts and rolled an SFS from it. Working perfectly. No problems with the symlinked external profile from 21.0.3.0.

I had previously done the above for the 64b 21.0.7.0 and run it in LxPupSc64, currently 19.01 +3, so I'll wait a bit to redo that one.

Both have spot symlinked to a spot dir on my EXT2 data partition and have the cache size set to custom, 0 Mb. It's actually faster loading the 'speeddial' icons from the internet than from a cache on the EXT2 partition, and it is a fairly fast SSD. For what I do I can't see any performance hit at all not running a cache.

@belham2, The newest Slimjet I have gotten to run in X-Slacko 4.4 is Slimjet 15.1.6.0. I still have one user machine running that combo. Very reliably I might add.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mike Walsh

#171 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ belham2:-

I've had something of a hiatus with regard to Slimjet.....mainly due to the fact that I decided to concentrate on Chrome & Iron (Iron 69 runs sweetly in Tahr 6.0.6, Xenialpup 7.0.8.1, and peebee's UpupBB).

Just had a play around with Slimmie 21.0.8.0, and got it running in Tahr 6.0.6. Having put the package together, I'm now going to take a look at what happens when I try it in Slacko 570; I've learnt quite a few more 'tricks' since I last played around with this. I suspect, though, that it's probably down to glibc/GTK3/NSS stuff.....though, despite having only glibc 2.15 as standard, my personal 570 has 2.20, courtesy of battleshooter's 'glibc-2.20 upgrade' he put together for Racy & Carolina. It works well in 570, too!

I'll let you know what happens.....

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#172 Post by Mike Walsh »

Nope.

Slimjet 21.0.8.0 absolutely will not work in Slacko 570....and I spent quite a while trying all sorts of tricks last night. It just won't have it; comes up with all sorts of symbol look-up errors.

I do, however, have it working fine in not only Tahr 6.0.6, but also Xenial 7.0.8.1, and also peebee's UPupBB. I've also been made aware of a wee 'trick' for anybody wanting to use NetFlix.

Now; normally, the libwidevinecdm.so & libwidevinecdmadapter.so modules merely sit in the /slimjet directory alongside all the other browser components....and it all behaves itself. With this release, NetFlix tells me the WideVine Content Decryption module can't be found, and suggests I look in 'chrome://components' to 'update' it. Only it doesn't show up....... :roll:

Following a tip from this 'UnGoogled' Github blog page:-

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/un ... /faq#linux

....it says the browser will also look inside the hidden directory /.local/lib inside the user's 'home' directory. Which in this case is 'spot' (I've 'borrowed' some of the construction for this from a SlimJet 19 package Peter put together for UPupBB).

So; I've symlinked the 2 WideVine modules from their location inside /opt/slimjet across to /root/spot/.local/lib, then run chown on /root/spot to make sure permissions were correct:-

Code: Select all

chown -R spot:spot /root/spot
Result? NetFlix now working, and all functions present & correct.

(Interestingly, the blog also says that as from Chromium 67, libwidevinecdmadapter.so is now deprecated, and no longer necessary. I'll test this out this afternoon, and report back.)

I can only presume that FlashPeak have made some modifications to the Chromium code-base that SRWare haven't bothered with for Iron; in Iron 69, the modules both sit in the usual location, and NetFlix seems quite happy with that.

Go figure.

---------------------------------------

After further testing, two conclusions.

The libwidevinecdm.so module as supplied by FlashPeak is a complete, total waste of time. It doesn't work. It's useless; the browser doesn't even 'see' it.

Accordingly, I've borrowed the relevant module from Oscar's build of Iron 69. This is all that's needed now; the libwidevinecdmadapter.so module is, indeed, no longer necessary.

It's also not necessary to sym-link across to /root/spot/.local/lib. The WideVine module can sit in /slimjet as usual.

-----------------------------------------------------

One other modification... It's becoming common practice for us to use 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' to tell Chromium clones to look in the Palemoon directory for up-to-date NSS libs & stuff. It updates regularly, and many Pups have it as standard. But not all of them......

Accordingly, I've created a sub-directory inside /opt/slimjet/lib, called 'palemoon', and have 'borrowed' the up-to-date NSS libs, etc, from the current version of Palemoon (28.3.1). The 'wrapper script' has then been adjusted to point to this instead, rather than assuming Palemoon is in /opt by default.

It works nicely.

-----------------------------------------------------

I've run up an SFS package of Slimjet 21.0.8.0.....and also a .pet package. Both can be found here, for anyone who's interested:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Help yourselves to the one you want. (This pre-supposes that you have a sufficiently up-to-date GTK3 installation, of course.)

These will work with Tahrpup 6.0.6 (possibly 6.0.5, too); Xenialpup 7.5.....and UPupBB 18.05. All 3 of these are tested. If anyone gets them working in any other Pups, let us know, please.

Mike Walsh

#173 Post by Mike Walsh »

I've slightly modified the above package, to include the GTK 3.0 stuff from the Tahrpup repos (in addition to including the Palemoon NSS libs'n'stuff in the /slimjet/lib/palemoon directory).

PepperFlash is also 'current', and I've included the PepperFlash auto-update script by Russian forum member sfs, accordingly set with the 'path' correctly adjusted. This should keep Pepper updated.

The 'permissions-changer/mover' module is also included. I've modified the script, to remove the need for the 'intermediate' Spot2Root directory in /usr/share. This change will also filter through to the next release of the Google Chrome packages.

This package will now fire-up, straightaway, in the 32-bit versions of Tahrpup 605/606, Xenial 7.5 & Bionicpup. No need to install anything extra.

(These will NOT work in 5-series Pups, I'm afraid. For these, you're stuck with 14.0.16.0.)

So for anyone who simply wants a recent Slimjet package to 'click-to-install', 'click-to-use' in the above-mentioned Pups, you can find 'em here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

There's a .pet, and an SFS. Help yourselves to whichever one you want.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 31 Mar 2019, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#174 Post by rerwin »

Thank you for providing the slimjet packages. I am attempting to use slimjet 21.0.8.0 so that I can test with web.skype.com.

I loaded Slimjet-21.0.8.0-i686.sfs into my directory with bionicpup32-8 (19.03). I run slimjet from the Internet menu entry.

Slimjet stops after issuing:
ash: exec:line 4: exec: not found

The message seems to come from run-as-spot

exec su spot -s /bin/ash -c '
# try to switch to original directory, unless it is /root
! [ "'"$CURDIR"'" = /root ] && cd "'"$CURDIR"'"
exec '"$CMD"'
'
I experimented with changing 'ash' to 'bash' but saw a similar message:
bash: exec:line 3: exec: not found

This is the first time I have used spot, so am not sure what to expect.

OscarTalks

#175 Post by OscarTalks »

I was experimenting with some "slightly modified for Puppy" packages of latest 32bit Slimjet 22.0.4.0 a few days ago
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB?force_show=1

I have the /usr/bin/slimjet PATH script just calling /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet because the main slimjet executable has to be called by a script bearing this name otherwise it refuses to start. They must have coded that in somehow. Slimjet is OK but a bit of a peculiar beast in some respects.

The flashpeak-slimjet wrapper contains the run-as-spot command and that should set up everything to start and run OK (as user "spot"), but I was testing in DpupStretch rather than Bionic32

So once installed, Slimjet starts from either Menu entry or with the command slimjet in terminal. No need to set it as running as spot anywhere else, but be aware that the user data profile will be under /root/spot and downloads will have to go somewhere under /root/spot as well, at least initially.

For recent 32bit Chromium based browsers that will run as root (which Slimjet won't) if you don't mind running with sandbox disabled I would recommend Vivaldi or Iron
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK?force_show=1
https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn?force_show=1

EDIT:- Posting this from latest Vivaldi in Bionic32 and confirming that Iron also worked but Slimjet did not. Might do some testing to try to figure out why later or tomorrow.
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#176 Post by OscarTalks »

rerwin wrote:Slimjet stops after issuing:
ash: exec:line 4: exec: not found
This is the first time I have used spot, so am not sure what to expect.
Hello Richard,

I got Slimjet 22.0.4.0 .pet running (as spot) in BionicPup32
(Using "system" run-as-spot instead of having it within the package)

Boot a fresh BionicPup32
Install slimjet-22.0.4.0-i686.pet
Open Menu > Setup > QuickSetup first-run settings
Tick box "Run Internet apps as spot" and click "OK"
Tick box "slimjet" in "Login and Security Manager" dialog which opens and click "OK"
Edit the wrapper script /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet so as to remove the "run-as-spot" command from it.
Lines can be commented or deleted so it just reads:-

#!/bin/bash
exec -a "$0" /opt/slimjet/slimjet "$@"
EDIT;- However, web.skype.com page loads up but hovering mouse cursor over the "call" button shows tooltip "Audio and video calls are not supported on your browser"
Oscar in England

Burn_IT

#177 Post by Burn_IT »

I would suggest that running ANY web browser as SPOT on a regular basis is not a very clever idea.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rerwin

#178 Post by rerwin »

OscarTalks wrote:However, web.skype.com page loads up but hovering mouse cursor over the "call" button shows tooltip "Audio and video calls are not supported on your browser"
Thanks for your instructions on working around my problem with Slimjet.

Since I would not be able to use Skype under Slimjet, I installed the Iron SFS file from your link onto my netbook which has a camera. It seems to work well with web.skype.com.

I set up an account there but have not figured out how to use it, yet. Now, to set it up on my main (BionicPup64) PC. A new adventure with Skype!

Semme

#179 Post by Semme »

As a long time and faithful Pup advocate, you're in good hands Richard. Keep the faith my brother..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

pp4mnklinux

what about slimjet 22.0.4.0?

#180 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

I downloaded the last (02/04/2019) slimjet version, I installed it but a pop up appeared and tell me than I must download and install software for audio/video playing, so I forgot it and I went back to slj21.

Did u have the same problem?

How did u solve it?

Do you think the advantages of the new slimjet version are so important to make you change your slj21?

THANKS A LOT.
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0