How to make a SFS of the game UFO: Alien Invasion for Xenial

Play with your Puppy.
souleau

How to make a SFS of the game UFO: Alien Invasion for Xenial

#1 Post by souleau »

To make a working SFS version of the game UFO: Alien Invasion for 64bit Xenial Puppy.

Install the PaDS pet from this place:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113888

Create a folder outside of your savefile called 'ufoaiproject', or something along that line.

Open your webbrowser and go to the 'edit'-tab, then 'preferences'. Under 'preferences', change the download location into the folder you have just created.
You will be downloading .deb files you see, and because they install when clicked on, it's handier when they download in the folder they're supposed to go into, so you don't have to drag and drop them in the file manager.
You can change the download location of your browser back to what it was when you're done.

Now go to this page in your browser:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ufoai

First, go to the bottom of the page, where you see 'Download ufoai', with a number of options. The option to choose depends on the type of architecture your system has. I happen to work on a 64bit system with an AMD cpu, so I have to choose the AMD64 option. The arm64 option is really only applicable for tablets and smartphones, and the ppc64el for a POWER 8 Intel architecture. Most people will want to choose the AMD64 though.
If you click on one of these options you'll get a list of servers you can choose to download the installation file from. If you have picked a server that seems suitable for you, right-click on it with your mouse, and pick the 'save link as' option and click ok. Now it will download.
Once that's done, go to the top of the original webpage. What you see is a whole list of things you would need in order for your game to run correctly. Everything with a red color is absolutely neccessasy, and green things are optional.
You do not need to download everything on that list, because some of it is already installed on Xenial.
What you need to download are the following items:

libc6 - Probably the amd64 version. Right-click and open it in a new tab, then follow the same method for downloading as you did previously. Close tab and return to original page.
libmxml - Same method as above.
libsdsl2-mixer - When you right-click this link and open that page in a new tab, there is something else on that page you need to download as well, which is called libfluidsynth1. So, right-click on that one and open in a new tab, download it, close tab again, and then proceed downloading libsdl2-mixer.
libsdl2-ttf - Same method of downloading.
libtheora0 - Same method of downloading.
ufoai-common - Same
ufoai-data - Same
ufoai-maps - Same
ufoai-misc - Same
ufoai-sound - Same
ufoai-textures - Same
zlib1g - Same

You can then choose whether you want music with it or not, if you do you can download ufoai-music as well. You could also opt for the gameserver and mapbuilding stuff, but since that is not my thing I didn't look into that.

Your folder should now look like the picture I attached at the bottom of this post.

You can now go to 'Edit' and 'Preferences' in you browser to change the download location of your browser back to what it was. Then close the browser.

Now it's time to create the SFS.

Go to 'Utility' in your main menu. If PaDS was succesfully installed, you should be able to find it there. Open PaDS.
In PaDS, you must first choose a working directory. Do NOT leave this setting as the /root default under ANY circumstance! The SFS you will create will be very very big, and if you choose /root as a working directory, it will fill up your savefile to maximum capacity in no time at all. Another very important aspect of the working directory, is that it MUST be on an ext formatted partition. So pick a working directory on a drive or partition which has plenty of space, and is ext 2,3 or 4 formatted. It's okay if it's another flashdrive, just mount it and pick that one.
Then choose a name for your SFS. I named mine 'ufoai_2.5-1_amd64' but you're free to choose any other name as long as it does not have spaces.
In the 'Add files..' section, go to the folder you stored the installation files, and then add those files to the list of Install Packages.
When you've checked that all the files are added, you may push the magic button that says 'Create SFS Module'.

And now you wait! And wait! And wait a little more. Be patient, because it needs to process an aweful amount of data.

At some point a dialog window appears where you can set a number of options. The only thing you really need to do there is to choose 'Games' in the 'Description' drop down menu. Then click okay again.

And wait a while longer. Keep waiting untill PaDS has a normal appearance again, and there are two files created in the working directory. Your SFS and a checksum verification file.

Move the SFS to the drive Xenial Pup is installed on. Load your SFS. Adjust settings in your game. Play!

If things have gone the way they should, then you can now delete the folder you created with the installation files.
Attachments
capture454.png
(76.56 KiB) Downloaded 256 times