DevuanDog 'Beowulf' [DISCONTINUED]

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
backi

#61 Post by backi »

Hi !
This is discussed in the Starter Kit thread.
Could you please direct me to the Location ?

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read here. See the Update.

However, these alternate initrd1.xz files are kernel-specific. I build my own from a script provided by Fred.

backi

#63 Post by backi »

Thanks !
Going to have a look.

EDIT :
was wrong ......Xenial Dog did even not boot in "always fresh " Mode .

fredx181

#64 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:I tried DevuanDog on a cloudbook with an emmc drive. It got past the "searching for beowulf-i486.sgn" stage, then crashed with a red "Something went wrong" message.

It may have been at the step where it tried to mount the "changes" location.
Thanks for testing. In most cases (when boot will fail) it doesn't find the .sgn file (such as backi mentioned above), but in your case it did, but I wonder, did it load the .squashfs modules after that ?
And does your Starter kit boot OK on that cloudbook with emmc drive ?

EDIT: Also, if you have time, can you try booting without changes, to see if the problem has to do with that.

Fred

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

If I boot without "changes=", it gets farther, then fails with a video problem. It looks like trouble with the i915 modesetting driver.

If I boot with "i915.modeset=0", it gets all the way to starting X, then quits. It won't fall back to vesa.

On more conventional hardware, X starts OK. The Starter Kit works fine on this machine.

Booting with "live" instead of "porteus" hangs up, with a similar problem - cannot find the filesystem.

Is it possible to build a larger initrd1.xz, like in the Debian Stretch ISOs? This may be the problem.

fredx181

#66 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Is it possible to build a larger initrd1.xz, like in the Debian Stretch ISOs? This may be the problem.
Yes, good idea, at first I did that (kernel modules loaded from initrd1.xz same as Stretch and larger) but wouldn't boot for me, so did different way. I'll investigate more to find which modules are needed to be loaded for 4.19 kernel.

Fred

fredx181

#67 Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated Devuandog 2019-02-17 ***

Download links here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/DevuanDog/ ... /README.md

Changes and fixes:
- Kernel upgraded to v 4.19.0-2
- Changed again the way initrd1.xz is set up (for porteus-boot style), very much modified, hopefully it works for hardware that it didn't work on earlier. It's a lot larger now, resulting in larger ISO size.
- Keyboard layout setting looked weird when locale was set, fixed.
- Palemoon is a bit pre-configured now, has about:config setting included, see Here and Here (see (a) and (b) (problems may appear on some machines with Intel graphics)
This should fix only issue (a):
(a) problems switching tabs or settings in Tools->Preferences
For issue (b):
(b) problems editing properties (such as the name) of places on the shortcut bar.
see Here
Please, anyone, correct me if something's wrong in how I described about the Palemoon issues.
- Problem fixed with upgrading policykit-1 (some bug reports about it above).
- Upgraded all packages (apt-get upgrade)

Fred

rcrsn51

#68 Post by rcrsn51 »

Hi Fred: On my problematic cloudbook, this version boots successfully all the way to starting X.

Unfortunately, it then fails with a black screen. It has the same problem as before with the i915 modesetting driver. I will look around for some boot options to fix this.

Bill

[Edit] I had hoped that this was a firmware problem, but loading the firmware module didn't help.

keniv

#69 Post by keniv »

Hello Fred,
Have just installed iso3 with a clean changes.dat. Palemoon better but still a bit odd in terms of "preferences". When I clicked on the boxes for the first time some of the panels came up blank. If I clicked away from them then back the panels came up this time including text and I was able to make changes. As I type this I have just checked again and they all now appear with text. I still cannot edit the names of items on the bookmarks toolbar though I can add and delete items. However, these are trivial. Keyboard setup worked fine. I have added info on my intel graphics below though I'm not sure what if it will be of help.

Code: Select all

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 17 Feb 2019 on Super Lucid  002  Linux 3.2.48 i686
  2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)  
  oem: Intel(r)865G Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
  product: Intel(r)865G Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg   Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.7.6
  dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
  depth of root window:    24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.7.1
I still cannot get uBlock to install from Tools>Addons. I will install it the way I was advised for the previous iso. Have not tested anything else yet. Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit
I still cannot edit the names of items on the bookmarks toolbar
Have just found a way to do this.

fredx181

#70 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Edit] I had hoped that this was a firmware problem, but loading the firmware module didn't help.
Thanks, probably small chance, but does adding this to the kernel line help?:

video=SVIDEO-1:d
Since kernel 4.8 I have to add this on my HP laptop with Intel graphics, otherwise X won't start (or very slow)
keniv wrote:Edit
Quote:
I still cannot edit the names of items on the bookmarks toolbar

Have just found a way to do this.
You fixed by putting the 20-intel.conf with "uxa" in /etc/X11/xorg-conf.d ?
(I didn't like to include that in the ISO because I had once experience that X didn't start on a machine with Nvidia graphics with that included)

Fred

rcrsn51

#71 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sorry, but that didn't help. I tried some other kernel options and dropping in a Puppy kernel, with no luck.

Maybe it is just a quirk in this Devuan version of Xorg.

I will try some other machines to see how common the problem is.

rcrsn51

#72 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tried some other machines and they all worked OK - X started successfully each time.

In one case (a Chromebook converted to Linux) I had to use the first DevuanDog ISO with the smaller initrd1.xz.

So I don't think that there is a serious problem here.

westwest

vlc

#73 Post by westwest »

The VLC downloaded from the menu won't save preferences.

Also, right-clicking the desktop brings up an error message about a non-existing menu file.

fredx181

Re: vlc

#74 Post by fredx181 »

westwest wrote:The VLC downloaded from the menu won't save preferences.

Also, right-clicking the desktop brings up an error message about a non-existing menu file.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll look at these issues.
Vlc runs as user "puppy". The /home/puppy/.config/vlc/ directory needs to be owned by user puppy, so probably this will fix it (should be added to one of the scripts that run or install vlc (not sure yet)):

chown -R puppy:puppy /home/puppy/.config/vlc/
Fred

fredx181

#75 Post by fredx181 »

*** DevuanDog update 2019-03-29 ***

Changes:
- Kernel upgraded to 4.19.0-4
- Fixed that vlc couldn't save it's preferences after installing from Menu entry
- Program to set keybinds is now "obkey" (python based), easier to use than earlier included "openbox-keybinder" IMO
- Palemoon web browser upgraded to v28.4.1
- Added compton (toggle composite desktop)
- Volumeicon (tray-icon) replaced with rcrsn51's alsamixer-tray (it's consuming less RAM)
- Upgraded all packages (apt-get upgrade)
- Some other small fixes

Download: See Here

Fred

backi

#76 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !

Downloading .......
In Case of Problems .....will give Feedback

Thanks again man for all your Efforts ! :)

fredx181

#77 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !

Downloading .......
In Case of Problems .....will give Feedback

Thanks again man for all your Efforts ! :)
Thanks backi, anyway, not only feedback about problems, also ideas/suggestions about any changes e.g. additions or removals are very welcome.
I don't like to do this on my own (well.. to be honest I'm very tired of it), until "stable" arrives in a few months (and even after) there's plenty of time to think about and discuss different concept.

Fred

backi

#78 Post by backi »

Good Morning Fred !

The biggest "Problem" with " The Dogs" seems to be ..they are almost perfect ....and a real big Problem too...a certain Lack of public Awareness for these Gems .
IMHO this is "The Best" Linux Project up to date .
State of the Art ..
Mainly because having direct Access the the big Repositories (Debian-Ubuntu)
via Synaptic ....foolproof ..
having "The Best"Gimmicks of Puppy too .(Frugality is one of it....saving on Demand creating/using squash/sfs Modules directly from main Repos fastest easiest Remaster on Earth and much,much more...)
...in short ...best thing since sliced Bread .
(excuse me please .. all you hardworking Puppy Developers ...me using and testing other Puppies too.,.and i like them very much).

But nothing does not come from nothing .
I am not much a help .....because i am just an absolute Beginner ...even struggle hard to find the right (Linux) Terminolgy ...but still learning more every Day .
I am just somehow jumping the Bandwagon .
Try to compensate this Fact with psychological Support , Cheerleading ,Animation/Entertainement ,Humor :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :lol: ???? and giving Motivation....
Best Thing i can do is... go for getting Coffee and Cigarettes .

I am aware of the fact that almost the whole weight is on your Shoulders .
Sure there are also a few other Guys feeding,caring and training "The Dogs" (thanks a lot to them too).But you are the main Motor/Head keeping this phantastic Project alive ....so it seems to me.
You are somehow the Director of this fantastic Dog and Pony Circus/Show.
A hard Job to do ...i have to admit .

Tony "The Patron Saint-(less)" ....(one Candidate for the "Linux Hall of Fame")... his Talent and Creativity also is/was one of the main Motors/Heads of this Project ... missed.... but sadly gone .
(Kind of Syd Barrett Syndome???)
google for Syd Barrett .

Greetings .....can you hear me Tony ?

(The King is gone but he is not forgotten ....Johny Rotten....Johny Rotten ....Neil young ....just kidding)

Seems you are the "old" (pardon me please .....me 64 years old too )....Alpha Dog who everybody is looking up and relying on .
There is some kind of .."just ask Fred ,he will help" Attitude in the Air ,,,,,cause everybody knows ....you do .

Your Statement sounds like an appeal to everyone to engage more into this Project ....not only harvesting the fruits Others have sown ..

Sure there is life beyond Linux .
But don`t get me wrong you Guys out there....you peoples...hear the signals ....and get out of your Beds !!!

fredx181

#79 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Seems you are the "old" (pardon me please .....me 64 years old too )....Alpha Dog who everybody is looking up and relying on .
There is some kind of .."just ask Fred ,he will help" Attitude in the Air ,,,,,cause everybody knows ....you do .
Ah, you are old hippie ? :lol:
I am (sort of), but a little younger (62)
Well... I really don't consider myself as "who everybody is looking up and relying on", so many things I don't know anything about..., but I'm doing my best, thanks anyway.

Cheers !

EDIT:
Best Thing i can do is... go for getting Coffee and Cigarettes .

No, c'mon, there's much more that you can do, e.g. thoroughly testing, suggestions, ideas for improvement, write documentation, etc.. but only if you want of course :wink:

Fred

wanderer

#80 Post by wanderer »

hi fredx

posting from your DevuanDog now

looks very beautiful

i love that there will be no systemd

i had trouble setting up wifi

so i am using wired internet

just seeing how things work

thanks for making this

wanderer