Google Chrome browser stopped working

Using applications, configuring, problems
Nanosecond

Google Chrome browser stopped working

#1 Post by Nanosecond »

Dear Friends,
Hope everyone is doing well.
I cannot get my Google Chrome browser to work at all. It's listed in the Menu>Internet>Chrome Browser. But, when I tick it nothing happens anymore.
Tahrpup boots off a USB Flash-bar/stick and always has...
I did not Save the session when I clumsily updated the browser..everything appears Normal. Boots fine and looks great, But the browser is messed up? I'm not sure what happened?
This is the original link Mike Walsh shared with me.
I downloaded from MediaFire cloud account:-
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mu8lkgyam ... 6-i386.pet
Why not a Version of Slimjet?
Gosh! I hope this is something simple to fix.
Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Thank You ALL very much in advance.
Sincerely, Raphael
:(

oui

#2 Post by oui »

It is very difficult!

1 you are using a VERY VERY VERY old release
2 want to use with/in it a really unusual browser (out the sight from Puppy users!)
3 and bring a next browser (in the discussion being about somewhat completely out the time today!)

what are you wishing? that WE install back the old release and try to solve YOUR difficulties?

Raphael, explain us perhaps what kind of hardware you are using and why you are not satisfying with our new Puppy versions?

and also why exotic browsers?

perhaps we can help you to install with success you actual releases and reach the same goals as you want with our usual browsers?

the research about exotic goals is often only LOOSE time for all, for you, and for those helping in the Puppy community.

if it is really no way to do somewhat acceptable with our actual stuff, perhaps you will find some one being able to remember old own experimentations YEARS AGO with Ubuntu Trusty Tahr 14.04 out year 2014 (full 5 years in April!)...

have you already try to use our new versions?

kind regards

pls edit on top of the forum profile > profile >> location and add a short summary of location and hardware! it will appear with all your messages left and inform us. alternative, you can add a signature with some information!

Nanosecond

My Browser Doesn't Work Tahrpup

#3 Post by Nanosecond »

Dear Friend! THANK YOU!
You have no idea how happy I am to hear from you.

The good news:
I did get Tahrpup browser working again with the older Chrome Version 48.0.2564.116. Which came recommended by Mike Walsh when I installed Tahrpup via ISO to a Flashdrive.

• The first issue with that version of Chrome is that just about everywhere you went on the net a banner of some type would pop-up saying you should update your browser. I learned to accept that..But have always hoped to get a browser working without that banner popping up.

• The more recent and more problematic issue..is that now I cannot access and use Google Voice (GV) as I have been for at least a year. This is described in greater in another Post. (see link and title below)

•I have a hunch its related to the most recent Windows Updates exclusive to Windows 7. That seems to be when (GV) would no longer work as it has been. Perhaps a compatibility issue between the new Windows updates and the older version of Chrome I've always used as mentioned above with success. I am pleased and have enjoyed Tahrpup immensely until the (GV) started.

• I'm using a Dell laptop with Windows 7 64 bit OS with Tahrpup. I can access (GV) on my other laptop that is running Windows 7 32 bit and also a desktop running Windows 7 64 bit.

• These new Windows updates cannot be uninstalled, deleted or hidden.. M$ made them a permanent part of Windows 7 due to a series of security issues according to Krebs Security. This is that Update 2019-03 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 for x86-based Systems (KB4490628)

• Bottom line or goal.. is that I'd love to get the Dell laptop with Windows 7 64 bit OS with Tahrpup able to use (GV) again.

Thank You in advance for your help with this frustrating matter.

Have a great day ahead.

Sincerely, Raphael
:wink:

Tahrpup Won't Access Google Voice - Plea for Help!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115650
:(

oui

#4 Post by oui »

Hi

As you see left I also have divers PC's (2 Dell's :wink: ) and use Bionic Pup on the two 64 bit machines without problem (excepted using Wine becoming now a dinosaur system). Bionic is actual Ubuntu LTS and BionicPup is build with it´s binaries. Pls try it and test if some wishes stay open!

good luck!

Notes:
1 you don't need to erase TahrPup if installed frugal!
2 try perhaps to start your browser in TahrPup out the console in commando line and look if the system gives error messages...

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

If you are booting Puppy from a USB flash drive I don't think the Windows Updates will be having any effect on things. They are completely isolated and not involved at all.

Some of the newer Chromium based browsers can be made to run in Tahrpup, but in the case of 32bit these do not include Google Chrome or Opera. Worth a try are Vivaldi, Iron, and Slimjet. From my tests, recent Slimjets must be run as spot. The other two can run as root with sandbox disabled.

You will need to install libgtk-3 via PPM in all these cases. You should also update the onboard Palemoon browser to latest or very recent. This is needed to provide recent versions of NSS libraries for the Chromium based browser. By the way, does Palemoon not give you everything you need? If you do those steps you should be able to launch the new browser with a modified LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the new NSS libs are found with priority

Actually, if you do those steps, this one is worth a try:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=158
EDIT:- Just tested that in a fresh boot of Tahrpup 6.0.5 and it accesses Google Voice
For Palemoon I just downoaded latest tarball and extracted it into /opt

With browsers, you will make life easier for yourself if you install and run a more recent Puppy. Some very recent browser packages are provided to work with those.
Oscar in England

Nanosecond

#6 Post by Nanosecond »

oui wrote:Hi

As you see left I also have divers PC's (2 Dell's :wink: ) and use Bionic Pup on the two 64 bit machines without problem (excepted using Wine becoming now a dinosaur system). Bionic is actual Ubuntu LTS and BionicPup is build with it´s binaries. Pls try it and test if some wishes stay open!

good luck!

Notes:
2 try perhaps to start your browser in TahrPup out the console in commando line and look if the system gives error messages...
Thank YOU!
But, I'm the new kid on the block and many of the terms/terminology/steps are out of my area of experience. Meaning I could really make a mess of things unless they are explained simply and clearly.
Like this line:try perhaps to start your browser in TahrPup out the console in commando line and look if the system gives error messages...
Please advise if you'd like?
Best, R
:roll:

Nanosecond

#7 Post by Nanosecond »

oui wrote:Hi

good luck!

Notes:
Thank YOU!
But, I'm the new kid on the block and many of the terms/terminology/steps are out of my area of experience. Meaning I could really make a mess of things unless they are explained simply and clearly.
Like this line:try perhaps to start your browser in TahrPup out the console in commando line and look if the system gives error messages...
Please advise if you'd like?
Best, R
:roll:

Nanosecond

#8 Post by Nanosecond »

OscarTalks wrote:If you are booting Puppy from a USB flash drive I don't think the Windows Updates will be having any effect on things. They are completely isolated and not involved at all.

Some of the newer Chromium based browsers can be made to run in Tahrpup, but in the case of 32bit these do not include Google Chrome or Opera. Worth a try are Vivaldi, Iron, and Slimjet. From my tests, recent Slimjets must be run as spot. The other two can run as root with sandbox disabled.

You will need to install libgtk-3 via PPM in all these cases. You should also update the onboard Palemoon browser to latest or very recent. This is needed to provide recent versions of NSS libraries for the Chromium based browser. By the way, does Palemoon not give you everything you need? If you do those steps you should be able to launch the new browser with a modified LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the new NSS libs are found with priority

EDIT:- Just tested that in a fresh boot of Tahrpup 6.0.5 and it accesses Google Voice

With browsers, you will make life easier for yourself if you install and run a more recent Puppy. Some very recent browser packages are provided to work with those.
Thank You!
I'm rather new with all this..words like this I'm not familiar with or How To perform them. "run as spot and run as root with sandbox disabled, I just downloaded latest tarball and extracted it into /opt", etc...
So, if we decide to move forward I'll likely need a little more time and as clear and simple instructions as possible. Otherwise, I may end up hosing the entire objective of getting a newer browser running in Tahrpup.
I appreciate your time and efforts very much and for clearing up the Windows updates and how that those were unlikely the sudden malfunctioning of Google Voice (GV) not working in Tahrpup like it has for over a year. Weird!
Let me know how you'd like to proceed?
Take care, Raphael

oui

#9 Post by oui »

Hi Raphael

Your problem seems to be, that you don't know Linux at all!

Please visit the forum AND the wiki and learn a bit: the most important informations are to find in the stick threads in all the subdivisions of the forum.

Linux is completely different from Windows! Linux is a commando line operations system with, on top, a graphic extension. But the console is the normal starting point. And all is for the system is from type "file" (UNIX, the original name, LINUX is UNIX cloned, is some kind the result of this design).

For this reason you get a lot of messages in console and in the graphic level only a few one for the end user... Messages concerning bad installation of a browser are not really end user messages: normally, it is matter for the webmaster installing your system and knowing well Linux and it's rules. That is your problem!

Learn pls a bit the Linux theory! A forum is not the place to bring you the A, B, C... It would be too wide...

And prefer pls the actual versions known by really all and exempt from errors amended (uncompatibility of libraries, dependencies etc.). 5 years is a very long time in micro electronic and software design. With old version you erase a lot of good stuff being automatic in the new versions and mixing both old and new, you create a very difficult environment!

Good luck!

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

First step is install libgtk-3 using Puppy Package Manager
Menu > Setup > Puppy Package Manager
Enter libgtk-3 into search field and click to search.
Result should show a list of 3 items
Select the top one and allow PPM to check for dependencies.
It will say along the bottom that 3 packages will be installed
Click the "Do It" button and await confirmation that everything has been installed.
Let us know when you have done that.

Second step is to install latest Palemoon
from https://palemoon.org
Clicking through the page links for Download > Palemoon for Linux
and the link for "bzipped tarball"
you should arrive here:-
https://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
Download the x86 .tar.bz2 version as this is for 32bit (not the x64 which is for 64bit)
Once downloaded, click on it to extract it with XArchive
In XArchive, click Select All followed by Extract
The small window then asks you which directory you want to extract to.
Answer /opt by selecting it or just type it in (include the slash) and click OK
That will have updated/installed latest Palemoon in TahrPup.

Once you have done those 2 steps, the Slimjet I mentioned should work out of the box and other recent browsers will be able to be made to work fairly easily too.
Oscar in England

Nanosecond

#11 Post by Nanosecond »

OscarTalks wrote:If you are booting Puppy from a USB flash drive I don't think the Windows Updates will be having any effect on things. They are completely isolated and not involved at all.

Thank You once again my friend...
I read your latest post and I will get to that later, But I wanted to share this.
As you said this likely has nothing or little to do with Windows Updates exclusive to Windows 7.
Then please explain this.
I used the ISO (not a USB flash drive) and set it up correctly and used the same older version of Chrome 48.0.2564.116 that Mike Walsh suggested when I began this journey. And it still would not allow me to use Google Voice as I have been for over a year with the *exact* combination of Tahrpup and Chrome.
I may be off in left field with this due to my lack of "in-depth" knowledge and experience with Linux/Unix/Puppy. But, this indicated to me that there was something in that Windows 7 update that hosed how Tahrpup and the Chrome browser Version 48.0.2564.116 functioned previously.
Maybe its the phase of the moon?!
Sinceremente, Raphael

OscarTalks

#12 Post by OscarTalks »

You need to explain more fully how you are using the .iso to boot TahrPup.
There are various ways you could be doing this.
Are you talking about some kind of virtual machine within a running Windows?
If you are booting into Puppy by any one of various means, the Windows stuff is just a bunch of files on a drive and they are not active in any way.

The Google services tend to move on with time and older browsers get left behind with warning messages popping up. More likely that this has just coincided with the timing of the Windows update.

In any case, the 2 simple steps I have described will make it easier for you to run a range of more recent Chromium based browsers and also give you the latest Palemoon in your TahrPup which will probably work for almost everything too.
Oscar in England

Nanosecond

#13 Post by Nanosecond »

OscarTalks wrote:You need to explain more fully how you are using the .iso to boot TahrPup.
There are various ways you could be doing this.
Are you talking about some kind of virtual machine within a running Windows?
If you are booting into Puppy by any one of various means, the Windows stuff is just a bunch of files on a drive and they are not active in any way.

The Google services tend to move on with time and older browsers get left behind with warning messages popping up. More likely that this has just coincided with the timing of the Windows update.

In any case, the 2 simple steps I have described will make it easier for you to run a range of more recent Chromium based browsers and also give you the latest Palemoon in your TahrPup which will probably work for almost everything too.
Thank YOU! sounds wonderful...
Yes I'd be running a laptop aka virtual machine within a running Windows?
I tried this on both laptops an HP and a Dell. One is a 32 bit and the other 64bit. The laptop that I've used Tahrpup exclusively on is the Dell Windows 7 64bit. Worked like a charm until this got started.
Surely it will be great to get Tahrpup up and running with a browser that will be compatible. In the Google Forum one Platinum Product Expert said you need to have a version of Google Chrome to run (GV) Google Voice properly.
"Chromium on Linux won't work because it doesn't have the extra components needed. Use the official Google Chrome browser instead (yes, it can be installed on Linux)." & "Chrissake. No, you cannot use ANY version of ANY Chromium-based browser, other than the official Google Chrome Browser from Google; can you get any more obscure than "Tahrup"? I do not know if Firefox works with GV on Linux as I have not tried it, but you can at least get it to work with Chrome Browser." —unquote.
Cheers, Raphael

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

Raphael, for God's sakes listen to what you're told on this thread. We don't want to know what Google experts told you.

You've started this thread, asking for help. In every single case, your 'reply' to every subsequent attempt to help you has been to start waffling on about other things.

Do you want help, or don't you?

In any case, whether you're the 'new kid on the block' or not, it seems to me that you're not making any attempt to learn the first thing about how Puppy works. You're a Windows user, through & through.....and what you'd really like is for somebody to completely set-up a Linux distro, from start to finish, then just hand it over to you, 'ready to go'.

We are not going to do that. I'm starting to regret ever helping you to get Tahrpup running over at BleepingComputer; that was too much like hard work, and it seems you're starting the same tactics again; bugging people via PM, instead of asking for help in open forum. I don't think you like the responses you get in the Forum.

Raphael, with the best will in the world, if you're not going to make any attempt to act on the advice given, then we're wasting our time. We're willing to help out anyone.....but if you're not willing to help yourself, well.....

I'm washing my hands of you, I'm afraid. Other Puppians may read this and think I'm being unnecessarily harsh.....but then, they have no idea what you put me through, 18 months ago. I'm not going there again.

Show us that you're trying to at least meet us half-way, and you'll probably get some help. But you must put some effort in, mate.

Mike.

Nanosecond

#15 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:Raphael, for God's sakes listen to what you're told on this thread. We don't want to know what Google experts told you.

You've started this thread, asking for help. In every single case, your 'reply' to every subsequent attempt to help you has been to start waffling on about other things.

Do you want help, or don't you?

In any case, whether you're the 'new kid on the block' or not, it seems to me that you're not making any attempt to learn the first thing about how Puppy works. You're a Windows user, through & through.....and what you'd really like is for somebody to completely set-up a Linux distro, from start to finish, then just hand it over to you, 'ready to go'.
Not so my friend...

We are not going to do that. I'm starting to regret ever helping you to get Tahrpup running over at BleepingComputer; that was too much like hard work, and it seems you're starting the same tactics again; bugging people via PM, instead of asking for help in open forum. I don't think you like the responses you get in the Forum.

Raphael, with the best will in the world, if you're not going to make any attempt to act on the advice given, then we're wasting our time. We're willing to help out anyone.....but if you're not willing to help yourself, well.....

I'm washing my hands of you, I'm afraid. Other Puppians may read this and think I'm being unnecessarily harsh.....but then, they have no idea what you put me through, 18 months ago. I'm not going there again.

Show us that you're trying to at least meet us half-way, and you'll probably get some help. But you must put some effort in, mate."
Mike.
Thank you Mike and I didn't realize it had been such a burden to you. Not my intentions.

I will tell you this much everything I've tried just about with the instructions given they did NOT show or do what they were supposed to.
I'd get to a certain point and blam! that step or the next and it would not work or appear as it was supposed to according to the instructions.
I have loooooong hours in this project, but I'm not an IT tech or a software engineer.
Many of the terms and functions of the app or whatever it is are words I've never heard of or seen before and I'm expected to know exactly what they are and what they do and where they go., etc...

I thought you understood this of all people on here..and remembered your humble beginnings. You as much as said so in my defense so to speak cause you noticed other folks with far more knowledge and experience than me were expecting a little too much too soon.

I'm running Tahrpup 6.0.5 which I thought was well known.

In OscarTalks he mentioned an newer version that I know nothing about. Perhaps that is why things are not unfolding as they should?!

Here is one example:

OscarTalks
First step is install libgtk-3 using Puppy Package Manager
Menu > Setup > Puppy Package Manager
Enter libgtk-3 into search field and click to search.
Result should show a list of 3 items
Select the top one and allow PPM to check for dependencies.
It will say along the bottom that 3 packages will be installed
Click the "Do It" button and await confirmation that everything has been installed.

When I got to this place >Enter libgtk-3. I (see attachment)
Perhaps you can explain what Free space means? or why I'm getting that? No one else has said a thing.
Another example is when I tried install the newest version of Palemoon..again I got the same Free space window.

I'm always in the learning mode and I did not ever expect anyone on here to do all the work for me and hand me a finished product.

Take care and Thank YOU once again for all your help.

Kind regards,
Raphael

My Computer Specs

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3983 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1767 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (168 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U692R
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated
Attachments
Free space libgtk1-2.jpg
(44.54 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

zagreb999

#16 Post by zagreb999 »

regards Raphael

take this perfect os

install with unetbootin on fat32 usb

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114999

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hell. Now I feel like an asshole.....especially after last night's 'rant'.

@ Raphael:- I don't know which it is, mate; either I must like you, or.....well; perhaps you've now made me feel guilty. Or summat.

Regardless.....

Despite oui's 'exhortations' to try out the very newest Puppies (the devs have gone to a great deal of trouble, and put the effort in, after all, so.....why not?), there's no reason why you shouldn't stick with Tahr 605. It's still a very stable, reliable Puppy.

Looking back through the thread this morning, I see Slimjet was mentioned. Bearing in mind how you like things that are easy & simple to do (and that I myself am a firm believer in making things as simple to use as possible), how about this?

32-bit Slimjet 21.0.8.0 'all-in-one'

This is based on Chromium 70. Oscar built a package of this, which I then modified for my own use; instead of updating Palemoon, and pointing the browser to look for the NSS libs'n'stuff there, I went a step further.....and included the Palemoon stuff inside the /slimjet/libs/directory, inside another directory named 'palemoon' (and pointed the browser at that, instead).

I've modified the package still further this morning, specifically for Tahr 605. I've added the GTK 3.0 stuff (this is from the Trusty repos, so it's the correct versions).....and also libxkbcommon, which was apparently needed, too.

This has been tested in a pristine Tahr 605 install, about an hour ago. Download from the above link, install.....and launch from Menu->Internet->SlimJet. It fires straight up. This should give you a Chromium-based browser which will keep you going for a while; it's a lot newer than Chrome 48.

I don't know the first thing about GoogleVoice; you'll have to test that out for yourself.

(Do bear in mind that any downloads for this browser will be in /root/spot/Downloads.....not your standard /root/Downloads directory.)

EDIT:- Just got a message up in NetFlix in Chrome 48, to tell me that from the 15 May 2019, Chrome 48 will no longer be supported, and a lot of stuff will quit working. So you need to upgrade by that date in any case.

---------------------------------------

Before you try installing this, however, it sounds like you may need to enlarge your save-file? (Your recent PM mentioned you were getting warnings about running out of space when trying to install the latest Palemoon.)

Please start another thread for that. Don't start asking about that here; it'll just confuse the hell out of everyone. One thread.....one subject. Please.

Mike. :wink:

Nanosecond

#18 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hell. Now I feel like an asshole.....especially after last night's 'rant'.

@ Raphael:- I don't know which it is, mate; either I must like you, or.....well; perhaps you've now made me feel guilty. Or summat.

Regardless.....

Despite oui's 'exhortations' to try out the very newest Puppies (the devs have gone to a great deal of trouble, and put the effort in, after all, so.....why not?), there's no reason why you shouldn't stick with Tahr 605. It's still a very stable, reliable Puppy.

Looking back through the thread this morning, I see Slimjet was mentioned. Bearing in mind how you like things that are easy & simple to do (and that I myself am a firm believer in making things as simple to use as possible), how about this?

32-bit Slimjet 21.0.8.0 'all-in-one'

This is based on Chromium 70. Oscar built a package of this, which I then modified for my own use; instead of updating Palemoon, and pointing the browser to look for the NSS libs'n'stuff there, I went a step further.....and included the Palemoon stuff inside the /slimjet/libs/directory, inside another directory named 'palemoon' (and pointed the browser at that, instead).

I've modified the package still further this morning, specifically for Tahr 605. I've added the GTK 3.0 stuff (this is from the Trusty repos, so it's the correct versions).....and also libxkbcommon, which was apparently needed, too.

This has been tested in a pristine Tahr 605 install, about an hour ago. Download from the above link, install.....and launch from Menu->Internet->SlimJet. It fires straight up. This should give you a Chromium-based browser which will keep you going for a while; it's a lot newer than Chrome 48.

I don't know the first thing about GoogleVoice; you'll have to test that out for yourself.

(Do bear in mind that any downloads for this browser will be in /root/spot/Downloads.....not your standard /root/Downloads directory.)

EDIT:- Just got a message up in NetFlix in Chrome 48, to tell me that from the 15 May 2019, Chrome 48 will no longer be supported, and a lot of stuff will quit working. So you need to upgrade by that date in any case.

---------------------------------------

Before you try installing this, however, it sounds like you may need to enlarge your save-file? (Your recent PM mentioned you were getting warnings about running out of space when trying to install the latest Palemoon.)

Please start another thread for that. Don't start asking about that here; it'll just confuse the hell out of everyone. One thread.....one subject. Please.

Dear Mike, Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate all you've done for me and countless others.
So, no worries...it wasn't an attempt to make you or anyone feel guilty. I got a very strong no way out nudge to post what I did re: reprisal.
ALL is well my friend.
I'll likely tackle this tomorrow with a new post in order to enlarge the save-file first and hopefully things will be all good again.
You know the Dell laptop is the computer I've used solely for Tahrpup. That computer is a Windows 7 64 Bit machine. Will it be okay to proceed with Slimjet?
Have a great day ahead.
Cheers, Raphael

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Raphael:-

Shouldn't make a scrap of difference. If Tahrpup itself runs, then so will this. Slimjet, Iron, Vivaldi.....all of these would run; they're all based on the Chromium browser, and are what are known as 'clones'.

Nanosecond

#20 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Raphael:-

Shouldn't make a scrap of difference. If Tahrpup itself runs, then so will this. Slimjet, Iron, Vivaldi.....all of these would run; they're all based on the Chromium browser, and are what are known as 'clones'.

@Mike Walsh
Thank YOU! awesome...