Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Oct 2019, 20:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Impossible to install Xenialpup
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Homer

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 19:20    Post subject:  Impossible to install Xenialpup
Subject description: -- using this site's guidance.

I've been trying for nearly 7 hours to install xenialpup-7.5-uefi.iso on an old laptop with Pentium CPU, 2 gigs RAM, and a 80 gig HD. I've tried USB, and have burned 3 different CDs. I would love for Linux to compete with Windows, but until it is made simple, it will never get there. Okay, now I've vented.

A year or more ago I took a stab at Linux, and was able to install Zorin OS 12. It would not connect to my WiFi, so I gave up until today. So, I'm not sure if I can't boot the installs I've created because Zorin preempts the BIOS (yes I change it to boot from 1) CD 2) USB 3) HD ....). I think it tries to boot from the CD because it spins up. I downloaded the installation files to a USB stick, then copied the ISO file from there to a CD in Windows 8 using ImgBurn to make a bootable CD. No luck, so while in Zorin, I made an image of all the downloaded files from the original USB stick to a fresh CD. No luck there.

I know others have been successful, so I must be missing something. Any guidance will be appreciated, but to be honest, I don't have many more attempts left in me.
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 19:47    Post subject:    

with your long explanations you transmit us only rare details about your environment and meet difficulties.

your PC is really good to perform Puppy, more than enough!

the "good" installation (*1 is very easy (following, the classic way! but they are more ways, without to burn the iso for example):

1 download the iso
2 burn it as bootable iso on a fresh CD rowling
3 (adapt your computer start or press some PF12 etc. as required if required)
4 the Puppy version starts!
5 after that start from CD Puppy appears. open the main menu. it is subdivided in some sections. on top, the last (also 3thd) item is "setup" (what else!)
6 follow under item "installation" or "Puppy installer" the instructions for the frugal way of installation and perform it
7 then, select "Grub4DOS bootloader config" (it doesn't only config but install is not preinstalled) - or use and adapt you actual bootloader if available
8 restart and enjoy Puppy installed frugal!

Where is some difficulty making the installation impossible (use the no 1 ..8 to refer to the field of difficulty and does not write some roman!)?

(*1 the full installation (= classic linux installations way) is not recommend; you can use it IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING - and it is at YOUR RISK...

Puppy prefers the frugal installation using or not the save file (or directory); I use no save file / dir really more than 5 years: I remaster Puppy (select "setup" again and see after the item "installation", and after "Grub4DOS bootloader config"! The next item; it is logic and significative or not?) with my settings and divers other details we learn after some tests and experimentation and have daily always the same warranty unchanged environment! no surprise, never...
Homer

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 20:06    Post subject: Impossible to install
Subject description: Impossible to install using this site's guidance.

Thank you for your quick reply. I think I have narrowed it down to the CD is not bootable. I tried to boot from the CD on a newer Windows computer, and it did not boot there either. I changed the BIOS first so if it was bootable, it should have opened Puppy instead of Windows.

I will keep trying.
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 20:28    Post subject:  

try above way if you can. if not write which item makes difficulties.

if you want read (more, to much perhaps) you can open

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=860569#860569

and the following messages!
davids45

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 22:10    Post subject: Files on non-booting CD?  

G'day Homer,

With no booting via CD or USB, sounds like a BIOS or hardware problem for starters.

In case it is just the live-CD (bootable CD), could you briefly list the files (say, the four biggest?) you see with Windows on the supposedly bootable Puppy CD?

Some programs don't do a correct "install" of files to give a Live-CD.

I imagine if you get the Live-CD going, you will reformat the hard-drive for just Puppies. Pick one of the Linux ext formats - ext3 is fairly 'middle-of-the-road'.
I'd try a partition for some frugal Puppies (say, 10GB will store several different Pup OSs) and a partition to store your data, back-ups, etc. (70GB). With 2GB of RAM you probably won't need a Linux swap partition (usually about half the size of your RAM when it's under 1GB).
Or do you want to keep something already on the drive, such as Windows or data/videos?

Wifi on old laptop computers can be a problem if a Linux driver is not readily available.
You could also tell us the wifi module/type your old laptop has so it can be checked as suitable.
If not, you could think about a cheap USB wifi dongle with a compatible driver for Puppy (well, for one of the many Puppies now available). Which Puppy are you trying?

Good luck.

David S.
Homer

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 22:27    Post subject: Impossible to install

Problem solved. I created another CD using the same procedure as before. This time it booted from the CD, and I was able to install to the HD. Thanks for your help. Both of you.
Homer

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2019, 14:52    Post subject: Impossible to install

I just realized I only answered one of your questions. I already have a WiFi dongle, and it is able to recognize and list my WiFi. Now my problem is ME. I need to remember/find my WiFi credentials. A while ago I decided to make things more secure, so now I know how secure I made it.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: