Google Chrome 64-bit packages - [CLOSED]

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#241 Post by Mike Walsh »

step wrote:It's a Chromium feature. I run Opera, which is Chromium based, and I can see the search location lines in the scroll bar.
Mm. Well, even Chrome itself is just another Chromium-based browser.....but Big Brother must have suppressed those in the released Chrome code, 'cos there's absolutely no sign of 'em for me.

Mike. :wink:

rufwoof

#242 Post by rufwoof »

I wonder if it could be the choice of theme being used. I've Morpheon Dark installed (one of the best dark themes around IMO, handles shading of active/inactive tabs very well).

OT: Wishing you mother well Mike. Mine's a couple of years older and been through similar lately.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

Mike Walsh

#243 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks, ruffers. Much appreciated.

As the old saw goes, you only get one Mum.....so it's in our own best interests to look after 'em!

She's not out of the woods yet, though I believe she's over the worst of it. Everything takes longer to clear up, the older you get.....a fact I'm steadily discovering for myself.....!

She's had her own routine for getting over illnesses, etc, for decades; she retreats to her 'nest', keeps herself warm (and well-hydrated).....and usually, Mother Nature takes care of the rest.

I just wish more folks would take that attitude. It's really not very clever, struggling on (especially when you're infectious), and infecting everyone you encounter, left, right & centre. I wish somebody had told the bloody woman who gave it to her at the opticians a fortnight ago; she was hacking, coughing, spluttering, and just literally sneezing all over everybody else in the waiting-room. Not even the decency to cover her mouth with a hanky.....or even her hand!

I'm waiting (with bated breath) to see whether I come down with it myself.....

rufwoof

#244 Post by rufwoof »

Mike Walsh wrote:I just wish more folks would take that attitude. It's really not very clever, struggling on (especially when you're infectious), and infecting everyone you encounter, left, right & centre. I wish somebody had told the bloody woman who gave it to her at the opticians a fortnight ago; she was hacking, coughing, spluttering, and just literally sneezing all over everybody else in the waiting-room. Not even the decency to cover her mouth with a hanky.....or even her hand!
Sounds like you need to be more assertive Mike. But respect that's not in your nature. Personally I'd have had my mum out of there like a shot letting everyone know the reason why in the process. Post mid 80's you do have to fight ever harder as more often otherwise others just wont care. Xmas eve 2 years ago we had to ambulance mum/nan into hospital and a few days later due to antibiotic overload (medics trying to find the right one) she ended up with C-Diff and had to be isolated for around 3 weeks. Pretty much daily battles with staff (in particular consultants) and without those battles she'd have been dead and buried shortly after. As is, despite greater frailty, we still have the blessing of her presence (and continual criticisms :) primarily directed at her only child/son - just take it on the chin and consider that her frustrations have to be vented somewhere otherwise that in itself can cause medical issues. Fortunately we don't live together, around 200m apart but dine etc. together, and she leads a reasonably independent lifestyle where she feels comfortable and in control - that also helps maintain my own sanity).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

Mike Walsh

#245 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, kiddiwinks.

The current stable version of Chrome - Google_Chrome-71.0.3578.80-amd64 - is now available for download, from the location referenced in post #1.

------------------------------------------------

Nothing especially new to report; with this release, Google have finally completed the whole 'https is normal/http isn't' thing (at long last). Now, https sites have no prefix to the address at all; http sites have 'Not secure' tacked in front, with the legend in red lettering on any page where you might give out potentially sensitive information.....like this very one I'm composing my post on.

--------------------------------------------------

Changes and updates in this release are as explained here, on the regular Chrome blog page. (I'm a week late with this one, but real life gets in the way.)

43 security issues have been addressed since the previous release.

Once again, the new GUI is very much noticeable. Google have been tweaking things in the background for the better part of the last year, and the iconic sloped tabs have finally bitten the dust. In come larger tabs very reminiscent of the older 'Australis' Firefox interface; more space between your extensions, your bookmarks; a softer, 'rounder' look to the omnibox.

This is now the default appearance. If you want to change back to the older 'look', you can reverse my instructions from an earlier post.

--------------------------------------------------

One other issue of note, and one which will be of interest to the security/privacy-conscious amongst you.....and that is the business of Chrome automatically signing you in, and 'syncing', the moment you sign in to any Google apps; the Drive, Google Docs, etc, etc. This was introduced in the Chrome 69 release, and immediately created uproar.

Google have apparently backed down from this move following all the hoo-ha they inadvertently caused with it. There is now an 'option', buried away in the 'Settings' page, to control this. Go into the 'Advanced section', and, fairly near the top, you'll find a slider switch to 'Allow Chrome sign-in'. You'll need to de-activate this; Google are still hoping you won't find it, and it's opt-out, rather than opt-in.....
----------------------------------------------------

There is no need to manually run the

Code: Select all

glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
..command any longer. A small script, which has been placed in /usr/sbin & sym-linked into /root/Startup, now automatically runs the compile command at boot time.

The 'Spot2Root' file permissions changer has also been updated. It now works with uploads as well as downloads.....as explained in an earlier post. Following an exchange of ideas & points raised via PM with mikeslr, I've added an extra line to the 'spot-to-root' module of the Permissions Changer which sits in the task-bar; when you select 'Spot-to-Root (for downloads)' in the GUI, ROX (or whatever your default file-manager happens to be) will now open on your 'Downloads' directory, ready to retrieve the newly-downloaded item.

Just cuts down on the need for a few additional clicks, since most of us usually want to access downloaded items straight away...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits:-

Battleshooter - for help with the self-contained NSS libs'n'stuff several releases back.
belham2 - for cobbling together the 'launch' script that is now employed.
And further back, 01Micko (the 'head honcho'), and iguleder - both of whom have indirectly helped keep this thread going for as long as it has, with references & links.

Thanks must also go to OscarTalks and peebee, for suggestions and assistance over the last couple of years.

---------------------------------

Any problems, ya know where to find me.

Enjoy!

Mike Walsh

#246 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, boys & girls.

The current stable version of Chrome - Google_Chrome-72.0.3626.81-amd64 - is now available for download, from the location referenced in post #1.

Changes and updates in this release are as explained here, on the regular Chrome blog page.

58 security issues have been addressed since the previous release.

There is now an 'option', buried away in the 'Settings' page, to control 'auto-signin'. Go into the 'Advanced section', and, fairly near the top, you'll find a slider switch to 'Allow Chrome sign-in'. You'll need to de-activate this; Google are still hoping you won't find it, and it's opt-out, rather than opt-in.....

There is no need to manually run the

Code: Select all

glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
..command any longer. A small script, which has been placed in /usr/sbin & sym-linked into /root/Startup, now automatically runs the compile command at boot time.

The 'Spot2Root' file permissions changer has also been updated. It now works with uploads as well as downloads.....as explained in an earlier post. Following an exchange of ideas & points raised via PM with mikeslr, I've added an extra line to the 'spot-to-root' module of the Permissions Changer which sits in the task-bar; when you select 'Spot-to-Root (for downloads)' in the GUI, ROX (or whatever your default file-manager happens to be) will now open on your 'Downloads' directory, ready to retrieve the newly-downloaded item.

Credits (as usual) :-

Battleshooter - for help with the self-contained NSS libs'n'stuff several releases back.
And further back, 01Micko (the 'head honcho'), and iguleder - both of whom have indirectly helped keep this thread going for as long as it has, with references & links.

Thanks must also go to OscarTalks and peebee, for suggestions and assistance over the last couple of years.

Any issues, drop me a line.

Have fun.

anpr22

please help me update chrome

#247 Post by anpr22 »

Hi

I really liking puppy linux for speed thanks to you guys.

please tell me how should i install chrome .pet or load .sfs without losing the current settings and extensions.

whats the right way to update ? can i just run .pet over earlier build or i need to uninstall and startover ?

I did not know the link you gave earlier so just installed .deb package.
i am using xenialpup 7.5.

thanking you

mikeslr

Updating Google-Chrome

#248 Post by mikeslr »

Hello, anpr22, and welcome to the Kennels.

Since you're new to all this, I'll go into some detail.

Mike Walsh can confirm that Google-Chrome is still constantly messing with its build (making it more secure :wink: or just more Google friendly :roll: ). Consequently there are changes from one build to another. And it doesn't publish builds for Puppy LInux. Rather, Mike Walsh for Google-Chrome and other Puppy devs for Chrome-Clones have to reverse-engineer the versions published for Ubuntu or debian (or other Big-boys) in order to build versions which will run under Puppies.

So, No, just installing a version built for Puppy over an older version (whether you used a deb or a pet) is not recommended. Most of the old files will be over-written by the new install. But some may not. At best, you're wasting space with files not being used. At worst, those files may misdirect the flow of information taking place within the application. Unless you're a programming expert you probably won't be able to figure out what's going wrong. And seeking diagnostic advice over the internet, even with its speed, will be time-consuming and likely to drive those who try to help 'nuts.'

That systemic confusion is even more likely to occur if you opt for an SFS rather than a pet. The applications and their files in your SaveFile/Folder have priority over applications and their files SFS-Loaded.

But before you uninstall one version, do the following: (1) Make a note (or take a screenshot) of the extension/addons you are using. (2) Export your bookmarks [unless you use sync]. Recent versions of Google-Chrome and Clones run as Spot, a 'limited user' only having access to its own folder whose files have permission different than Root. If you export bookmarks to /spot/Downloads you can use Mike Walsh's 'transfer' module which appears on the Tray to quickly move the exported bookmark to somewhere in storage on your hard/usb-drive, simultaneously changing that files permission from Spot to Root. [Anything new in the Spot folder will evaporate with the clearing of RAM on shutdown/reboot unless you perform a "Save" to storage. Performing Saves after using the internet is not recommended as it also preserves all the junk you picked up while surfing. 'Running-in-RAM' and not preserving anything is a security feature Puppies provide which operating systems that fail to distinguish RAM from Storage can't].

In part because of the need to up-grade web-browsers frequently, I prefer using SFSes to installing pets. An SFS is self-contained and does not 'over-write' anything you have in your SaveFile/Folder. Consequently, I can safely try-out a new version without destroying the old. Merely unload the old SFS, load the new one and leave the old one on your hard/usb-drive while you test your new version. Sometimes the new version introduces problems you didn't experience with your old. This is more likely to happen when the publisher of an application values change over stability. There's time enough to delete the old SFS once you're satisfied that the new version is better than the old,

I also prefer SFSes because using them is more systemically efficient than using pets. Frugally* installed Puppies are designed to use SFSes. On bootup, a Frugal Puppy does not (by default) copy everything in ones SaveFile/Folder and SFSes into RAM. Rather, it copies some files (at least sufficient to create Menu-entries) and creates in RAM pointers to where the rest of application's files are to be found. But it uses more RAM to create pointers to an installed application than to a loaded SFS. [It uses no RAM for an SFS not loaded]. Consequently, when you are not using an SFS you have more RAM available for other tasks than you would have had you installed the application as a pet to your SaveFile/Folder.

Once you've installed the new pet or loaded the new SFS, you can Right-Click your bookmark in Storage and use the 'copy-to' option to copy it to /Spot/Uploads. Than use the Task-bar icon Mike Walsh provides to change the file's permission from 'root to Spot' so that Google-Chrome can properly import it. Your note or screenshot of the addons you used makes it easy to quickly install them into your new Google-Chrome.

Except for installing Addons, the whole process take very little time.

Because you don't want to preserve 'junk from somewhere on the internet', I recommend making the transition from one version to another immediately after a reboot. REMEMBER to perform a Save.

----
* Puppies are designed to run as Frugal Installs. Frugal merely means it frugally uses your storage space, not requiring an entire partition to itself. It is NOT a cut-down version of a Full install. A Full install rather is 'a hack' created to enable Puppies to boot and open applications faster at a time when computers often had only 256 Mbs of RAM, or less, and slow processors compared to those commonly sold even 6 or more years ago. If you've been mislead and did a Full install, seek advice on how to change to a Frugal install.

Mike Walsh

#249 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ anpr22:-

First things first. Image to 'the kennels'!
anpr22 wrote:i am using xenialpup 7.5
Well, full marks for at least telling us which Puppy you're using. You'd be surprised how many beginners don't seem to think it's important. But, a bit more detail, please.

Is this 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5, or 64-bit Xenialpup64 7.5? If it's Xenialpup64, you're okay; you can run Chrome on there. If this is 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5, then you're 'barking up the wrong tree', so to speak; Chrome has been 64-bit only for a long while now.....and will only run on a 64-bit operating system.

You can run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit OS. You can not, however, run 64-bit apps on a 32-bit one, because the system doesn't have stuff needed by a 64-bit app.

-----------------------------------

However, if this is 32-bit Xenialpup, running on a 32-bit CPU, you can still run a recent, Chromium 'clone'. Iron 69 will run on 32-bit machines (it's available in both 32- and 64-bit versions.) Iron is near as dammit identical to Chrome; it uses the same code-base, after all.

Need more details, please.....then we can advise you further. Can you also let us have

Make & model of computer
CPU
Amount of RAM available
Size & type of hard drive
Graphics chip/card would also help.

TIA.

anpr22

please help me update chrome

#250 Post by anpr22 »

Thanks both of you for such a detailed and helpful response.

It is increasing my faith and comfort in puppy linux and I am loving it. It is proudly the only OS which ran on my old 2004 make desktop where all other distro failed miserably and gave life to it with updated chrome. ( Youtube runs bufferless their on 1.5gb ram old creaking hardware compared to windows 7 )

the question was about my 2009 built laptop.Some details about my system as asked.

4 GB RAM DDR2, Intregrated on board video chipset. have Frugally installed 64 bit xenial pup version on ext4 partition. CPU is Intel core2duo 2000Mhz

I have windows 10, linux mint, android x86, puppy linux xenialpup7.5 64 bit and elementary os in a multiboot configuration. ( I have all of them for specific uses like puppy for super quick boot and shutdown )

Well, thanks for the answers. now I know its better to uninstall the old 64 bit version and install new one and letting the sync of chrome take care of extensions and book marks. only trouble would be to set up some add ons like ez link where i did heavy customizations.

so till the time my chrome version 71 remains supported by sites like youtube, drive etc I don't see much reason to upgrade it on my puppy.

till now my chrome 64 bit version 71 installed as a .deb package is running as good as anywhere except for the fact files i need to save better have location like my ntfs data partition which is common for all OSs.

In future I will upgrade through .pet or sfs provided through this forum thanks to amazing selfless work being done by Mike Walsh.

anpr22

#251 Post by anpr22 »

Just for curiosity , can i copy chrome's extensions' folder i.e. .config/default/extensions or something like this to paste into new upgraded one with all the settings I did ?

In other distro's after the automatic upgrade after all things remain preserved.

it may be silly question but may be the solution for newbies like me

TIA
Regards

Mike Walsh

#252 Post by Mike Walsh »

You shouldn't need to. Just like in other distros, it works the same in Puppy.

When you load the new version of Chrome, your /.cache/chrome and /.config/chrome directories remain untouched. Those don't change. You could always backup the .cache & .config directories if you want to, but there's no real need.....

Mike, :wink:

anpr22

#253 Post by anpr22 »

Thank you Mike. I understood you.
I think I can upgrade it without worrying for anything. One more doubt which can be useful to me if solved.

In my Linux mint's chrome I added context menu search add-on for eg. if I highlight a word and then a pop up comes where i can choose "image" or "map" search which i customised over long time
Now I want all these settings in my puppy linux's chrome.

Can i just copy and paste that extensions' folder from linux mint to my puppy ?

I appreciate your help.

Mike Walsh

#254 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hm. Y'know, I'm pretty sure that won't actually do anything.

I run a whole bunch of add-ons/extensions (been with Chrome since version 1, back in 2008).....and in all those years, I've never actually seen anything in that directory.

You've got to dig a bit deeper than that. You'll need to go into /home/spot/.config/Default. This is where your profile is stored. Inside that directory, you'll find one called 'Extensions'. Inside that, you find a whole number of small directories marked with random jumbles of letters; each of these covers all the necessary data for a specific extension to work.

But if you 'sync' stuff usually, all this data is held in your Google cloud a/c's 'personal', encrypted data store anyway.....so there's really no need to 'back-up' any Google stuff.

This is the one thing I like about the Google eco-sphere. Personally, I couldn't care less how much the Big 'G' knows about me (they've probably got a 'dossier' as big as a stack of Bibles by now!); all their stuff is designed to work together, and to make your life as easy as possible.

And it does that very, very well.

Horses for courses. Works for me.

mjmikulcik

#255 Post by mjmikulcik »

Any chance this is affecting us?
https://9to5google.com/2019/03/06/googl ... -zero-day/

I already updated mine manually, but for others it would be appreciated

Mike Walsh

#256 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mjmikulcik:-

I didn't rush an updated package of that 'point' release out, because I knew the new version (73) would be out any day now. Thanks for the 'heads-up', all the same. Appreciated. :)

The new version will be available for download later this evening. The mitigations for the referenced weakness should, of course, be in this new release.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#257 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

The current stable version of Chrome - Google_Chrome-73.0.3683.75-amd64 - is now available for download, from the location referenced in post #1.

Changes and updates in this release are as explained here, on the regular Chrome blog page.

60 security issues, including the recently-discovered 'critical' one (mentioned by mjmikulcik above) have been addressed since the previous release.

A small script, which has been placed in /usr/sbin & sym-linked into /root/Startup, now automatically runs the glib-compile-schemas compile command at boot time. Downloads/uploads, therefore, work as they should.

Credits (as usual) :-

Any problems, boys & girls, you know where to find me.

Enjoy.

MrDuckGuy

Re: Google Chrome 64-bit PET & SFS packages

#258 Post by MrDuckGuy »

Mike Walsh wrote:Evening, ... stable version of Chrome
... available for download ... location
referenced in post #1 ... problems, boys
& girls, you know where ...
I would like a question if possible to be
addressed, and here's the peshat of it:
can this application be run in a
"portable" folder as I am doing with the
FireFox program even now as I post this?

Thanks in advance, Kelikaku. B'H.
Attachments
monkeyeatingalemon-2.jpg
This is an image of a monkey
eating a lemon, for
no particular reason. B'H.
(28.25 KiB) Downloaded 595 times

Mike Walsh

#259 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ MrDuckGuy:-

Mm. Never really thought about it, TBH. In its current format, no (there's too many extra additions & bits'n'bobs in other directories to permit that). I could look into it, though it would be a perhaps 'stripped-down' version - some of the additional functionality (like the permissions changer for uploads/downloads, and the 'glib-schemas' compiler script) might have to be installed as separate .pets before you started using it.

When I started doing this a few years back I never envisaged running it that way. Consequently, it wasn't built with portability in mind.

I'll look into it, OK? Just don't expect to see it any time soon.....I have a lot on my plate most days (I'm a full-time carer, y'see). I'll put my considering cap on, and have a think about the best way to do this....

rufwoof

#260 Post by rufwoof »

Mike, as our resident Chrome expert, what are the limitations, if any, imposed by running google chrome with the --no-sandbox switch?

I'm not concerned about running as root with no sandboxing as I'm already containing chrome within a restricted environment anyway i.e. FatDog 8 with a Barry like containment (Xephyr, unshare, chroot with capsh (capabilities for sys_admin and chroot dropped)), so pretty much a heavily restricted 'root' - comparable to a low privilege/restricted userid that's isolated from the main FatDog X system. Providing you don't keep sensitive data/stuff within that container then that's impervious to even a zero day vulnerability. But I was wondering what limitations running with --no-sandbox might impose.

TIA.