kuman11 wrote:Both ways got me errors.
And what are these errors ?

kuman11

#82 Post by kuman11 »

Both got me to 'Input/output error'

rcrsn51

#83 Post by rcrsn51 »

kuman11 wrote:Both got me to 'Input/output error'
That suggests that your download is corrupted.

Or you are having hardware problems.

kuman11

#84 Post by kuman11 »

'That suggests that your download is corrupted.'

It's better to re-download it directly on the usb stick or in XSlacko?

kuman11

#85 Post by kuman11 »

Gee, re-downloaded it directly on the usb stick, put firefox32 in /opt, got gtk3
& then nothing again with ff ...

What a drag ...

got this:
/opt/firefox32/ff
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/firefox32/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

rockedge

#86 Post by rockedge »

hello kuman11,

it looks like the needed libgtk-3 is missing....try an experiment and open the puppy package manager and use the search bar look for libgtk-3 and install it .

see if firefox works now.

fredx181

#87 Post by fredx181 »

kuman11 wrote:Gee, re-downloaded it directly on the usb stick, put firefox32 in /opt, got gtk3
& then nothing again with ff ...

What a drag ...

got this:
/opt/firefox32/ff
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/firefox32/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
History is repeating itself here !
Same as you mentioned earlier and installing gtk3 from PPM was the solution:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 319#983319

Fred

kuman11

#88 Post by kuman11 »

fred,

it worked but not b4 I put gtk in the save, so now I'm left with about 110 Mb of space. So it'll crash again soon ...

how can I get the Slacko boot menu to run it in RAM as I'd prefer. It takes me right into the save.

Midori browser's horrible, can't save anything.

kuman11

/opt

#89 Post by kuman11 »

Even though firefox32 is in /opt it's somehow still in the save in /mnt/home ... occupies space, what's the point of putting it in there?

I still have 647 Mb free in /mnt though nothing goes in there ...

SolusUmbra

#90 Post by SolusUmbra »

I'm running dpup 32bit (not sure if this makes a difference to anything but thought I would list it) and I've updated to 65.0 but I have no sound. I tried on Netflix and youtube. Just to make sure it wasn't my computer I started pmusic radio and I get sound from that. I also tried youtube on pale moon and had sound. So what did I do wrong?

*Edit Nevermind, I restarted the system and everything works now.
Last edited by SolusUmbra on Sat 09 Feb 2019, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#91 Post by Semme »

No doubt my post is *now* too late.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#92 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred/all:-

Following a reply to a thread from linuxwannabe about updating his Slacko 570's elderly FF 17 ESR (and following my own experience with putting a 'portable' PaleMoon together), here's a couple of 'portable' packages for the latest Extended Support Release, FF 60.5.1 esr.

These work exactly the same as Fred's packages. Untar, and place the resulting firefox32/firefox64 directory anywhere you want. Fire 'er up by clicking on the 'ff' script inside the directory, which creates your profile internally, too.

I copied my profile over from the 'mainline' Quantum-portable, and aside from needing to re-enable my extensions, all went very smoothly.

32-bit version available HERE.

64-bit version available HERE.

Posting from the 32-bit version now. Curiously, in some ways it seems more stable than recent releases of 'mainline' Quantum; NetFlix performance has been 'patchy', to say the least. It'll be working fine, then an update comes along, and then the tab will crash every time you try to watch summat. Along comes another update, and the inbuilt DRM player starts behaving itself again.....and NetFlix is usable once more. Which kinda makes me believe Mozilla must keep updating the DRM stuff with every release, as well.....

I may well stick with this for a while; NetFlix is on its best behaviour with this one, at the moment..! :lol:

Anyways; enjoy, y'all!

Mike. :wink:

kuman11

#93 Post by kuman11 »

Mike,

I put my Firefox in the /opt dir. Does it occupy Puppy space when u run XSlacko in RAM?

I might try this one too.

Mike Walsh

#94 Post by Mike Walsh »

kuman11 wrote:Mike,

I put my Firefox in the /opt dir. Does it occupy Puppy space when u run XSlacko in RAM?

I might try this one too.
Anything that is placed anywhere inside the 'standard' file-system will occupy 'Puppy-space', yes.

There's only two places where it won't. One is /mnt/home - the same 'level' as your save-file/folder, and hence not inside it - and the other would be on an external drive. Which is quite feasible for these 'portables', since they're perfectly happy to run like that...

Mike Walsh

#95 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred :-

Following a few wee 'niggles' I've had this last few days , I'm beginning to wonder quite how 'portable' these portable Mozilla-based browsers, etc., really are. Let me expand.....

I've spent the last 3 or 4 days doing what I've been meaning to do for a long time; setting up the ultimate, fully self-contained, take-anywhere Puppy. I treated myself to a 128 GB Sandisk Cruzer 'Blade' flashdrive; I've been using these things for years, but never in this kind of size before. I wanted not only Puppy itself, 'fully-stocked', but also a second, large, FAT32 data partition, complete with all my documents, downloaded stuff, and 'personal' directory.....along with a fairly good selection of movies, too!

Now, this is where we're getting to the point of this post. On my main system, the big old Compaq desktop, I run around a dozen Pups, okay? I have a large, primary 'data' partition, with a 'mirror' of the main file-system, and no end of stuff on here that's sym-linked into and shared among all the Puppies. With me so far?

I chose Micko's Slacko 5.6.0 as the Pup for this set-up. I've always liked 570, for instance, for its rock-solid stability, and ability to cope with absolutely anything you can throw at it.....but since installing 560 around 18 months ago, I find myself using it even more. It's an amazing Pup, it really is.

Anyway; essentially, I copied the entire 560 install across from the Compaq, complete with 12 GB save-file (don't ask!), and have spent the last couple of days tracking down all the sym-linked stuff and replacing it with 'proper' copies. (It's surprising how much stuff I had sym-linked, too; way more than I'd realized.)

I've got the portable Palemoon I put together. Also the portable Thunderbird, and the portable FF60esr, along with your portable Quantum. (You can never have too many browsers, mate; they all have their specific uses, too.)

Palemoon started up with no problem. But Thunderbird, Quantum & FF60esr simply wouldn't have it.....at all. In every case, I was getting a warning message, saying:-
"Your xxxxxxx (insert relative app here) profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible..."
To cut a long story short, and after much research, and to-ing and fro-ing between multiple sites, it turns out that the way these portables work isn't quite like we thought. Even though your script tells them to create their own, internal profile directory, to put the profile in there, and to use it every time, there's a 'catch' to all this.

If Thunderbird can't find the hidden .thunderbird directory in /root, it won't start.

If Firefox can't find the hidden .mozilla directory in /root, it won't start.

And, although it didn't happen on this occasion, I'll bet a pound to a pinch of snuff that if Palemoon can't find the hidden .moonchild productions directory in /root, then it won't start either.

It seems that the profile in there, along with the 'profiles.ini' file it contains, serves as a 'backup' as far as the devs are concerned.....and if T-Bird, Quantum or Palemoon don't find this hidden directory first, before they use any other profile you may specify, then they'll dig their heels in and refuse to play ball. I rather think they're 'hard-coded' to look in the 'user' directory first, despite you telling them otherwise....

Most of us aren't going to have that problem, I suspect, because old profile directories tend to get overlooked when you move from one browser to another. I doubt many of us are quite 'anal' enough to religiously clear every last little bit of remnants out of the way.....especially when they're 'hidden' in normal operation.....!

tlchost

#96 Post by tlchost »

Mike Walsh wrote:
Palemoon started up with no problem. But Thunderbird, Quantum & FF60esr simply wouldn't have it.....at all. In every case, I was getting a warning message, saying:-
"Your xxxxxxx (insert relative app here) profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible..."
Could you use a dreaded symlink from root to where ever for the profile?

WOrks here with puppy on a fat32 usb drive with all sorts of apps that I don't have in the savefile....and many puppies can share the same apps.

fredx181

#97 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,
It seems that the profile in there, along with the 'profiles.ini' file it contains, serves as a 'backup' as far as the devs are concerned.....and if T-Bird, Quantum or Palemoon don't find this hidden directory first, before they use any other profile you may specify, then they'll dig their heels in and refuse to play ball. I rather think they're 'hard-coded' to look in the 'user' directory first, despite you telling them otherwise....
Weird... I cannot reproduce that. Without the ~/.mozilla dir existing, the portable works fine for me (using the "profile" dir inside).
I tested on Slacko 6.9.9. (first needed to install gtk+3)
What I do notice is that the ~/.mozilla dir is created (with some empty folders inside) when running the portable Quantum. Similar with portable Thunderbird, btw (~/.thunderbird dir is created)

Maybe there's difference in Slacko 5.6, can you add one line at the bottom of the ff script, to see what's the output when running ff from terminal ?:

Code: Select all

echo "launchdir=$LAUNCHDIR"
If that doesn't output the correct directory, there's something wrong/different maybe with the readlink command included in your Slacko, and explains why the profile dir is not found (just guessing, btw).

Fred

Mike Walsh

#98 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mornin', Fred.

Okay. Added that line to the 'ff' script, like so:-

#!/bin/sh

#LAUNCHDIR="$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)"
LAUNCHDIR="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
mkdir "$LAUNCHDIR/profile" 2> /dev/null
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LAUNCHDIR/:$LAUNCHDIR/extralibs${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} "$LAUNCHDIR/firefox" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile"
echo "launchdir=$LAUNCHDIR"
The output I get is the usual GTK 'warning' stuff.....plus the final line.....which I think is the one you want.

Bear in mind this is sym-linked from another directory inside /mnt/home (except it's not called /mnt/home, because I'm using jafadmin's udev-rules thing for USB mounting.....to make certain the 3 partitions on this stick - /boot, /mnt/home & DATA - are permanent mount-points in its own file system). The path is, however, correct:-

# /opt/firefox32/ff

(firefox:21365): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/SanDisk/SanDisk-2/SYSTEM/Apps/Browsers/FF-Quantum/firefox32/firefox-bin:22005): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/SanDisk/SanDisk-2/SYSTEM/Apps/Browsers/FF-Quantum/firefox32/firefox-bin:22188): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'
launchdir=/SanDisk/SanDisk-2/SYSTEM/Apps/Browsers/FF-Quantum/firefox32
#
Looks like 560's 'read-link' is working correctly, doesn't it? (BTW, lots of stuff here is sym-linked from the 'SYSTEM' directory, just in case I decide to add a second Puppy at some point; that way I can share apps, settings, configs, etc.)

It's not a big issue, because it's a self-contained install on a stick with lots & lots of spare space. If I have to have 'redundant', 'spare' profiles sitting around for things to work, so be it; it's a 'fix', and it works for me. I thought it was worth mentioning, however; didn't know if it was just my install, or whether it was affecting others as well.

fredx181

#99 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Mike,
Looks like 560's 'read-link' is working correctly, doesn't it?...... .....
Yes, everything should be ok looking at your output, it's a mystery for me why you're having the issue you mentioned.

Fred

MrDuckGuy

Re: Firefox Quantum (64.0.2) portable with apulse All-in

#100 Post by MrDuckGuy »

Mike Walsh wrote: ... here's a couple of 'portable' packages for the latest Extended
Support Release, FF 60.5.1 esr ...

32-bit version available HERE.

64-bit version available HERE.

... the 32-bit version ... it seems more stable than recent releases
of 'mainline' Quantum ... I may well stick with this for a while ...
Hello. I have loaded this into a fresh frugal install of
Tahr64v.6.0.5 without any updates. I am posting this from the
'portable' folder's browser, FFv.60.5.1esr (64-bit).

The portable folder with the browser is isolated in an
otherwise blank USB flash media device.

I initialized FireFox by clicking on the "firefox" entry in the
portable folder. It's running and as I stated, I am posting this
from the very same FireFox 'portable' installation, it seems
to work fine.

There is still no sound when
accessing the YouTube website

When accessing the exact, same URL from
PaleMoon64v.25.8.1, which is native to Tahrpup64v.6.0.5
(I suppose?) there is sound, although it suffers from the
HTML5 compatibility warning when trying to access links
within the YouTube site. Sometimes the link must be
reloaded several times before the HTML5 warning
resolves and then the video plays. Other times the
video will not load at all, and the HTML5 warning remains.
PaleMoon does this, but FireFox avoids it. If I could get
the sound to work in FireFox, it would be nice.

I have successfully been using older versions of
FireFox, v.32 and v.45 without sound issues, but these
suffer from the HTML5 warnings periodically.

As a side issue (probably user error) the 32-bit version that I
downloaded has the same filename and megabyte size as the
64-bit version? Maybe I didn't click on it correctly?

Thanks in advance, Kelikaku B'H.