Using existing Linux files, apps etc.

Booting, installing, newbie
chuck5620

Using existing Linux files, apps etc.

#1 Post by chuck5620 »

When reading the explanation of how Puppy works I came across the following statements:

"
If that partition happens to have a Linux distro installed in it, then the entire distro filesystem will "show through" on the top layer of Puppy's unionfs.

It will look like a normal Puppy, running JWM window manager or whatever, same desktop, but everything in the underlying distro is available to be executed. All the applications, compile environment, package manager, etc."
My hard drive has 3 partitions - 1 is Win 98, 2 was used for trying distros and since it was formated ext3 I had Puppy save it data on it, and 3 is a Kubuntu distro. I used Pmount to mount hda3 and was able to view and manipulate a couple of text files. I tried to play some music but Gxine hung up on the first notes.

Is it possible to get at my address book, use amorak, kdegames etc
under Puppy? I realise there will be a trade-off and for most things booting to Kubuntu is the way to go. However being able to grab bookmarks. contact lists, would be handy.

This distro is really teaching me a lot about Linux and I'm looking forward to trying to make my own version!
Thanks for your advice.

Chuck

ezeze5000

being able to grab bookmarks

#2 Post by ezeze5000 »

I use Foxmarks to sync my bookmarks.

I can access my bookmarks from any PC connected to the net.

When you add bookmarks to your browser, foxmarks will auto update.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!