NetSurf 3.9

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
keniv

#21 Post by keniv »

@OscarTalks
Can you suggest which of the versions you've compiled might work with Lucid 5287. I know it's old but I still use it. It's probably my favourite pup. Netsurf 3.7 used to work with Lucid though had its problems.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit. Tried the 32 bit versions for stretch and wheezy. Below is the output from a terminal when i try to run them. It's the same for both.

Code: Select all

# netsurf
netsurf: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by netsurf)
netsurf: /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by netsurf)
# 

OscarTalks

#22 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Ken,

I'm afraid I wouldn't expect any of the 3.8 versions compiled so far to work in Lucid.

The libraries in Lucid tend to be older. These include libssl and libcrypto (openssl) as those error messages indicate. I believe the glib library version is also a factor.

I haven't tried to compile in Lucid yet, but I did try in Racy 5.5 and although the build completed there were some issues with the executable not finding its resources and lots of ssl errors on https websites which were not removed by installing the ca-certificates package. I am concerned that there may be similar problems with NetSurf 3.8 in Lucid, but I may take a look at it when I get some time.
Oscar in England

keniv

#23 Post by keniv »

Hello Oscar Talks,
Thanks for your reply and explanation. I also have Racy 5.5 on the same old laptop on which I run Lucid. They both work well on it but I suspect that this is because they are both quite old. If you do find the time to compile it for Lucid I'll be happy to test.

Thanks again,

Ken.

OscarTalks

#24 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Ken,

As I suspected, far from perfect in Lucid.

Refuses to compile unless libcss-parser is installed as a build-tme dependency.
I couldn't find a lucid version of this, but it is part of the htmlcxx package so I grabbed the source and compiled that. The executable binary gperf is also required as usual.

Then NetSurf 3.8 will compile, but the executable fails to find its resources in the standard /usr/share/netsurf location. I can package things in different locations as a workaround (which I have done).

There are still lots of ssl issues so some sites will display but others refuse to "fetch".
I don't like uploading such things, but have done so for now in case you want to have a look at it.
Oscar in England

keniv

#25 Post by keniv »

Hello Oscar Talks,
I seem to have put you to a great deal of work in asking for a Lucid version of Netsurf 3.8 for which I can only apologise. I think the ssl problems were one of the issues with Netsurf 3.7. I'll download and try the Lucid version of 3.8 and report back. Thanks again for the work you did on this.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#26 Post by keniv »

Hello Oscar Talks,
Have installed Netsurf 3.8 for Lucid. Am posting from it now. Have not tried to access many sites yet so have not had ssl problems. I seem to remember getting them trying to access this forum with 3.7 and I did not have a problem with 3.8, however, am not sure if my memory is serving me correctly here. I can't remember how to transfer a favourites list from another browser. When I work this out I will try the sites I use most and report back. I'd forgotten just how fast it was.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#27 Post by keniv »

Found I had kept the hotlist file for 3.7 with the 3.7 .pet so used this to get a bookmarks list though it's a little dated. However, now starting to get quite a lot of "cannot fetch document" without getting onto the site. This includes sites I use a lot. I still think it works better than 3.7 did for me. Also posted a reply to this forum which did not appear on Netsurf but was infact there when I checked with another browser though this might have been due to a mistake on my part.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit This post appeared OK so likely the previuos post not appearing was my mistake.

8Geee

#28 Post by 8Geee »

Downloaded the sisyphus-alt2 by OscarTalks Slacko i486 version (14.1).

Easy to set up. Easy to run. Just put the pet in /usr. Personally altered the 48x48 icon to show 3.8, and lets surf...
Youtube... it needs a converter to download. For testing the D/L directory is root/Downloads.

This converter works
https://www.convertinmp4.com/

cookies need a manual toss at end of session. A 'prreference setting' check-box for that would be nice.

The adBlocker seems effective. But cookies get sent/received so THAT needs work. I did set up a 32Mb cache mem and disk. As reported mem gets cleared at quit, disk has a 1-day... not sure if zero means at quit, or never, so 1-day.

I ran htop to see about mem consumption
Puppy Slacko5.7 spin AtomicPup-XIX = 42Mb
NetSurf 3.8 here (1 Tab) = 104Mb +/- 1
FF27 configured as in AtomicPup-XIX = 280Mb +/- 5

Cannot edit About: config to tweak.
Bookmarks a bit different, but I can get used to that.

I think this is a very good to excellent mini-browser. Thanks Oscar and others that made this happen.
======================================================================================
My system for comparison
OpenSSL = 1.0.2p (upgraded from 1.0.1u, BUT newer updates need glibc 2.17+)
glibc = 2.15
mem = 2Gb
CPU = Atom N270
Frugal install to SanDisk Cruzer Fit (Stubby) USB2.0.

Regards
8Geee using netsurf to post this :)
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Smithy

#29 Post by Smithy »

Yes indeed, a nice little zippy browser that looks like a cute firefox, I was using the wheezy netsurf, that works fine, but I think that is now removed.
I've pulled down a few other pets in case they are more compatible.

Just wondering if this browser would be able to handle those 'orrible sites that insist on the recapture thing, wouldn't work with recapture OscarTalks?

I tried getting a crypto 1.1 and ssl 1.1 but it all went to pot. Don't know if that would help anyways.

And a couple of sites that I did log into, it just gleefully replaced tha javacrap with a nice static picture, which is fine by me, it still functioned fine and quick.

OscarTalks

#30 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Smithy,

The Wheezy NetSurf 3.8 got taken down the other day when I was having strange issues with uploading to the repo with filezilla and was trying to figure a few things out. Still not sure what that was but it all seems OK now.

I have uploaded it again now. For Wheezy users I think they will need this one, but although I still use Wheezy more than any other Pup I was not sure if others are still using it. Mine is extensively remastered so I also wanted to check that this NetSurf is OK in a fresh boot of original Wheezy and it seems to be, so long as the ca-certificates package is also installed. I recently uploaded a new one of those from late 2018.

You mention "recapture", I would expect that any form of advanced scripting will not be supported in NetSurf, but it is always worth a try I suppose.

Each version of NetSurf is compiled to run in conjunction with a specific version of libcrypto and libssl, so adding version 1.1 will not do anything with a NetSurf which wants 1.0.2 or 1.0.0 for example.

The ScPup version works against 1.1 and does not crash, but in Stretch it compiles against 1.1 and does crash, so I modified the build environment to link against 1.0.2 which is also available and then it runs perfectly.
Oscar in England

8Geee

shutdown 'bug'

#31 Post by 8Geee »

When I ran netsurf 3.8 as in previous post everything worked well.

Upon MENU --> Shutdown --> shutdown Puppy hung for a few minutes, so 'hard-off' with power button.

Not sure why this happened, but could it be due to disk cache, or mem cache, or both being implemented? ( my ops was both )

Anyone else have this 'problem'?

Regards
8Geee

Smithy

#32 Post by Smithy »

Not had a problem with shutdown 8gee, netsurf closes ok as does shutdown.

Thanks for the info OscarTalks, I am not using Wheezy except on a netbook, because it has the fan speed, volume buttons etc working, whereas Artful doesn't have those, but I was using the Wheezy Netsurf in Artful and it seems to be working well.
Artful is a sweet spot for dual core and Intel imo. Plus swap kernels much easier and more drivers for recent ancilliaries.
I just checked the two libs required: I have in /lib
libcrypto.so.098
libcrypto.so.1.0.0
libssl.so.098
libssl.so.1.0.0
So I guess whatever Netsurf is good for those I will use.
The Light browser will do the odious recapture sites so not a problem.
It's a bit crazy that we have to use different browsers these days for a sane experience (Quantum is very unstable and sluggish with dual core I find, Chromium, not so much).

8Geee

Slacko 5.6 and 5.7 uses wheezy version

#33 Post by 8Geee »

Trying the wheezy version of ALT-2, since reported good on Slacko5.6.
No Disk cache... 32Mb mem cache. Privacy setup w/javascript.

*** UPDATE: No issues with wheezy version. Shutdown/Restart normal in Slacko5.7 (and derivative AtomicPup-XIX). Also, cookies purged upon quit. Very nice. ***

Regards
8Geee

PS: we could use a link to TTF fonts or ask for Liberation Family Fonts (sans, serif, mono). A bit difficult to read these postings.
Last edited by 8Geee on Mon 11 Mar 2019, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#34 Post by OscarTalks »

There is a version of NetSurf which I compiled in Slacko 5.7 which might be better for Slacko 5.6

The name is netsurf-3.8-slack14.0

One difference is that Slacko uses libpng14 although I think it also has libpng12 on board for compatibility. Also, Debian and Ubuntu have the version information symbols in their openssl libraries whereas Slackware do not.
Oscar in England

8Geee

#35 Post by 8Geee »

Thanks Oscar, I have libpng12 symlinked to 14 in my spin. Both attempts Slackware 14.1 and wheezy seemed to run OK during use. Just the shutdown hang on 14.1. My spin has updated quite a lot of internal stuff since 01micko released the original.

A good reason to test this nice little browser.

Both versions run one font, though giving a choice in Preferences. If there's a way around it, I'm all ears. The Liberation font system (12 sets) runs just over 1 Mb. Considering the 2Mb browser D/L its large. :wink:

Thanks again
8Geee

sheldonisaac

#36 Post by sheldonisaac »

OscarTalks wrote:More versions compiled in Tahr (32bit), Tahr (64bit), Xenial (32bit), and Xenial (64bit)
Uploaded for testing to http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
I'm here via the Xenial 32bit version of March 7.
Thank you,
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

8Geee

Slackware 14.0

#37 Post by 8Geee »

Having a few irons in the fire, I got around to trying/using the subject version.It works better than the wheezy version, and is a keeper.

Thanks again
8Geee

greengeek

#38 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:There is a version of NetSurf which I compiled in Slacko 5.7 which might be better for Slacko 5.6

The name is netsurf-3.8-slack14.0

One difference is that Slacko uses libpng14 although I think it also has libpng12 on board for compatibility. Also, Debian and Ubuntu have the version information symbols in their openssl libraries whereas Slackware do not.
Hi OscarTalks. Thanks for these packages!

I am running a Slacko 5.6 derivative and found the following:

14.1 (slacko 5.7) pet does not run for me as it complains about Glibc2.17 missing (or similar message - Glibc or GTK issue. I will download again if you need the exact message)

14.0 (slacko 5.6) pet does not run - gives error message as follows:

Code: Select all

# netsurf
NetSurf core failed to initialise (InitFailed)
#
The wheezy pet runs fine.

(My system is not an exact Slacko 5.6 replica so maybe an issue with my specific setup).
At least the Wheezy version seems compatible with my pup.

cheers!

OscarTalks

#39 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello greengeek,

I wouldn't expect the 14.1 Slacko version to work in a 14.0 Slacko because the glibc version would be too old so that result is as expected.

I don't recognise the error you are seeing with the 14.0 version, but if your Puppy has been modified then there is always the risk that it won't work as it does in the original. Upgrades to openssl are something to look out for.

Builds in older versions are more likely to work in newer Pups than the other way round. The Wheezy one is built against glibc 2.13 so is always likely to be more versatile in that respect. Glad that one appears to work in your case.
Oscar in England

8Geee

#40 Post by 8Geee »

g/g

Is the netsurf binary in usr/bin ? At least the slack14.0 version wants it there.

PS this works with slacko5.7 modified, even openssl 1.0.2p

Regards
8Geee