Fatdog64-802/801/800 Final [21 May 2019]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fatdog

Fatdog64-802/801/800 Final [21 May 2019]

#1 Post by fatdog »

EDIT:
Fatdog 810 beta has been released. Forum thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546.

===

The Fatdog team is happy to release Fatdog 802.

This is a maintenance release to mitigate Intel CPU security flaws (ZombieLoad/DMS), as noted by labbe5 here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116170
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116156

As usual Fatdog64 does not upgrade from any older version; but with only very minor changes between 801 and this release, you can probably re-use your existing savefile/savedir from 801 (but not from any other older release).

Changes from 801:

Updates:
* linux-4.19.44 with DMS prevention
* Intel microcode updated to 20190504a with DMS prevention

New Features:
* Firstrun-wizard now renamed to Quick Setup
* Rox right-click to run scripts on terminal window
* PDF thumbnailer (disabled by default)

Fixes:
* Race between rox desktop and window manager is fixed (regression in 801)
* Single quote volume label now shown properly
* get-java is made to work again
* And many other minor fixes.

Get it from the usual places (link below). Mirrors may take time to refresh.

Note that the mitigations slows down the CPU. If you are not concerned about the issue but still want to update anyway (for other fixes), you can use the kernel parameter "mitigations=off" to turn off all the mitigations (spectre, zombieload, etc). You can also selectively turn on and turn off certain mitigations; please consult https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... meters.txt for the details.

Discussions for Fatdog64 802 starts from page 16 of this thread.

Note: Fatdog64 801 was initially released on 4 May 2019.

The Fatdog team is happy to release Fatdog64 801.

This s a rolled-up release containing all updates that has happened since 800 was released. It contains bugfixes and some minor feature enhancements. There are no critical update in this release and if you're currently happy with 800 release, there is no need to update.

Note that as usual Fatdog64 does not upgrade from any older version.

Changes from 800:

Updates:

* Many static utilities in initrd are updated to either most recent versions, or versions identical to basesfs
* linux-4.19.32 with support for snd-soc (some chromebooks)
* cups-filter updated to 1.22.5, now properly supports printing to shared CUPS printer
* grub4dos 0.4.6a, with support 64-bit ext4
* rdesktop 1.8.4
* xf86-video-xfbdev 1.5.0
* xf86-video-vmware-13.3.0
* xf86-video-amdgpu-19.0.1
* yad 0.42.0
* mc 4.8.22
* civetweb 1.11
* musl-libc 1.1.22 (devx)
* mmview 20190409

New Features:

* xtrlock to lock screen without blanking (e.g. for watching movies etc).
* magdock: home-grown screen magnifier by SFR
* UExtract and PackIt are now included in the base by popular demand
* JWM now uses dynamic menu (sort of) using jwm-xdgmenu
* LXC sandbox now supports network (proxy ARP or NAT), and more secure desktop emulation
* UML sandbox now supports NAT (previously only supported proxy ARP)
* lxqt-panel-qt5 now includes temp sensor
* vlc: ability to stream-out to chromecast devices, and stream-in from DLNA/NAS
* various infrastructure changes to better support running other WMs, other desktops (other than Rox), and nvidia optimus
* efiboot.img/grub2-efi: support UEFI PXE booting (thanks to gcmartin's insistence)

Fixes:

* run-as-spot fixes, now libreoffice can be launched from web browser (e.g. download and view)
* fontconfig fixes, now spot and root can share fonts (fixes evince not showing text when run as root)
* Better MBP support out of the box (thanks to mavrothal)
* xorg-server, xf86-video-vesa, xf86-video-fbdev: restore support for 24bpp vesa and fbdev
* fatdog-remaster fixes as identified in forum thread
* busybox rebuild with various upstream patches and fixes
* fatdog-default-soundcard: OSS remapping now persistent across reboots

Get it from ibiblio and usual mirrors (links below, the same for Fatdog 800).

Discussion for Fatdog 801 starts from page 13 in this thread.

ISO builder also released, use builded dated 2019.05 and 801 package list.

Enjoy.

================================
Original Fatdog 800 Announcement (28 Feb 2019)
================================

After nine months in the making with about 4 months testing (both internal and public), Fatdog Team is pleased to annouce the general availability of Fatdog64 800 Final on 28 Feb 2019.

This is a new series of Fatdog, based on LFS 8.2, replacing the 700 series started five years ago with LFS 7.5.
It is the same Fatdog that you know and love, only better.
It comes with updated packages and improved applications.

As usual, Fatdog doesn't update from previous versions, but it is especially more so since this is based on new base, with newer libraries, new and different config files and config file locations, etc. Please start with a new savefile/savedir if you're "upgrading" from 721 or older.

Changes from 721:

The list of updates shows only the highlights because basically every package is updated.

Updates:
* Full system rebuild with major package updates.
* linux-4.19.24
* AMD microcode to latest (pulled on 2018-12-18 )
* gcc 7.3.0
* glibc 2.27
* eudev 3.2.5
* sqlite3-3.26.0
* openssl-1.1.0j
* Xorg-1.20.3
* xf86-video-amdgpu-18.1.0
* xf86-video-ati-18.1.0
* xf86-video-intel-2.99.18 (updated to the latest)
* mesa-18.2.8.
* GTK+ 2.24.32 with Glib 2.58.1 with GTK+ 3.22.30 in the repo
* Qt 5.11.1 (partial) with Qt 4.8.7 in the repo
* Openbox 3.6.1
* LxQt Panel Qt5 0.12.0
* ALSA 1.1.6
* FFmpeg 4.0
* CUPS 2.1.3
* Seamonkey 2.49.4 with agent switcher
* Evince fixes CVE-2017-1000083
* Flash-plugin-32.0.0.114 with 11.2.202.644 in the repo
* VLC-3.0.6
* Libreoffice-6.1.4.2
* Findnrun-4.0.2 with fuzzy search option
* Fefind-0.11.4
* Gimp-2.8.22 fixes with 2.10.4 in the repo
* Bluez 5.50
* Wine 3.16, 3.21, 4.0 supporting 32-bit and 64-bit Windows applications
* SMB Browser 2.0.0
* Various system tools updates
* Hundreds of other package upgrades

New Features:
* Redshift and GUI to set location.
* Wpa_gui updated with network activity icon and renamed to Network tool.
* Numerous ROX-Filer enhancements (rox-filer-jun7)
* Click actions for many file types
* More accurate drive icons
* New and faster Control Panel
* Several new Control Panel applets
* Haveged daemon
* fatdog-remaster supports "medium initrd" (kernel modules inside, basesfs outside)
* BackSeatDriver (bsdriver) 3.19 - "Remote management tool" from smokey01
* savedevice and basedevice are now bind-mounted to their proper /mnt/sdXY mountpoints

Changes:
* Fotoxx back into the base system (Viewnior remains the default image viewer)
* AVIdemux into the base system
* TigerVNC viewer replaces TightVNC viewer
* Stronger system password encryption

Modules (drivers):
* Support for rtl8821ce-based wireless network adapters
* Improved connectivity with selected TP-Link and Netgear USB wireless adapters

Known Issues:
* Bluetooth applet is still missing. In the interim please use CLI or check this out: http://murga-linux.com/puppy//viewtopic.php?t=115122

________

If you are a 800 RC testers, here are the changes from 800 RC:
Changes from 800RC:
* Linux 4.19.24
* Fixes libexiv2 missing symlink
* Updated zarfy showing ultra small icons
* lxrandr now stores its output in $HOME/Startup
* Better sfs_manager (shows index from ibiblio)
* grub2-efi: add PXE boot entry to embedded configuration
* Better OOTB experience for MBP users (thanks mavrothal)
* rc.sysinit will update hwdb.bin if source data is newer
* Fixes getjava.sh
* Remaster: better estimated size calculation

If you're a 800RC tester, you may get away using the same savefile/savedir with 800 Final. This is generally not the case, though.

Get it from ibiblio or from one of its mirrors: aarnet, uoc.gr, and nluug.nl.

Packages can be installed from the Control Panel > System > Gslapt Package Manager applet (click Update first).
SFS-es can be installed from the Control Panel > System > SFS Manager applet.

Thank you for our alpha, beta, and RC testers: dr.Dan, jake29, smokey01, p310don, mavrothal, rufwoof, and all other testers. You all have helped to make this a better release for everyone.

============
ISO Builder Note
============

If you like to build your own ISO, we have uploaded the current ISO builder as well as the 800 package list here (builder dated 2019.02 and 800-package list).

If you have any questions please check this pages first: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/faq.html. This page is also available offline, and you can view it by clicking this link [url]file:///usr/share/doc/faqs/faq.html[/url]. Or you can click the blue (?) icon on the desktop.
Last edited by fatdog on Sun 08 Dec 2019, 16:30, edited 7 times in total.
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#2 Post by fatdog »

Known issues, regressions, and other notes

1. OpenSSL version incompatibilities.
This version of Fatdog comes with OpenSSL 1.1.x. For the better or worse, OpenSSL 1.1 is **NOT** backward compatible with openssl 1.0, thus **ALL** packages built for previous version of Fatdogs that use openssl will not work.
Trying to symlink libssl.so.1.1 to libssl.so.1.0 will **NOT** work. If you really need openssl 1.0, then install the latest openssl 1.0.x from 720 repo - but I don't know what will happen to newer apps that do depend on openssl 1.1.x.

2. Where is the bluetooth-applet?
It's gone for the moment until we can find a replacement. See http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tooth.html.
If you still need some sort of GUI, please see http://murga-linux.com/puppy//viewtopic.php?t=115122.

3. This version comes with the latest version of jun7's ROX-Filer fork.
This version is bundled with features, but in particular, jun7 has decided to adopt some of woodenshoe's patches. This includes some changes to the keyboard shortcuts.

For example, to delete, now the key is Ctrl-Del (__NOT__ Ctrl-Alt-Del, that would reboot the computer, of course).

The original key to delete: Ctrl-X - has now been re-purposed to perform "Mark for cutting" (part of the cut-paste operation --> in other words, moving the file). The actual "move" will be done when you press Ctrl-V.

Same with copying files. The original function you accessed under Ctrl-C in older ROX is now Ctrl-D (for "Duplicate"). Ctrl-C has been repurposed as "Mark for Copying"; where the actual copy will be done if you press Ctrl-V later.

This is to make ROX-Filer support the Ctrl-X/Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V (cut/copy/paste) paradigm that people are used to, in other apps (perhaps other file managers too).

You may not find this agreeable. You're in good company, even _we_ didn't like at the beginning. But this seems to the future of ROX-Filer, and the new features (e.g. faster copying) are much too useful to ignore and not update. So better get your muscle memory re-trained.

4. VLC is configured to run with one thread. This may cause some high-definition video to appear "hang" (i.e only the first frame is shown, and the video is frozen). When this happens, please do this:
- Open Tool -> Preferences
- Then click show "All" settings.
- On the search field on the top left corner, type 'ffmpeg". Then click the "ffmpeg" entry that shows in the bottom listbox.
- Then on the right hand side, change the number of Threads (which is currently "1" (one)) to "0" (zero), which means ffmpeg will automatically determine the number of thread to use.
- Then click "Save".

Note: On Fatdog 801, the default setting is reversed, it is now by default is zero (which means "automatic"). If you have problems, then switch it back to "1".

5. If you're new to Fatdog, there are some notes from 721 release that are still applicable, you may want to read about it here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 929#977929.

6. Certain AMD Ryzen-based platforms come with broken BIOS with missing ACPI tables. There are multiple solutions for this, but the easiest one to get your system to boot, is to add "noapic" to the kernel command line.
Attachments
pkgs.txt.gz
List of included packages with their sizes
(sizes are not accurate as some of the files are
split/divided into devx and nls sfs).
Download then gunzip.
(8.02 KiB) Downloaded 819 times
Last edited by fatdog on Sat 04 May 2019, 12:00, edited 8 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#3 Post by fatdog »

Hotfixes for Fatdog 800 only
==================

1. Remaster has a bug that prevents a "standard initrd" to fail (kernel-modules.sfs is missing). A hotfix has been issued, and you can download it from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/ho ... arch-1.txz.

To use the hotfix: download it, and save it to a location somewhere. Then, using ROX, open the containing folder. Then, perform right-click on the file itself, and choose "Install Package".
Last edited by fatdog on Sat 04 May 2019, 12:02, edited 2 times in total.

fatdog

#4 Post by fatdog »

Reserved
Last edited by fatdog on Sat 04 May 2019, 12:02, edited 2 times in total.

p310don

#5 Post by p310don »

Congratulations team Fatdog.

Thank you for having me watch the creation of this fine distro.

LateAdopter

#6 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello kirk & jamesbond

Thank you for Fatdog 8 and all of the hard work that went into it.

I have just copied my Vivaldi installation from FD8 Alpha and I've got a problem...

I copied simhei.ttf chinese font into /usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF, like I've done many times before in Fatdog and various puppies, but this time nothing happened. Vivaldi still shows square boxes. I did reboot after copying it.

It worked normally in FD8 Alpha. I can't think what I can have done wrong, but as soon as I click submit I'll realise what's happened.

EDIT: I checked fonts.dir and it wasn't listed so I ran the Update-Fonts script from a terminal and it then appeared in fonts.dir and fonts.scale but it's still not picked up by Vivaldi.

EDIT2: SOLVED! It's because of the change to the permissions of files on FAT filesystem. I had copied it from a FAT32 partition, and it didn't have world read access. I changed the permissions to match the other fonts, and now it's OK.

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

Many thanks! Successfully tested with my basic install on my old bios hardware 1.5 Gb RAM. Used humongous initrd with fd64.sfs and kernel-modules.sfs outside initrd and using initrd-nano with mergeinitrd1 boot option. Working well.

corvus

#8 Post by corvus »

G'day Fatdog team,
fresh manual frugal install on usb stick, no issues so far but, if it may be of interest, I have the following warnings and error in /var/log/messages:

Code: Select all

root# dmesg | grep -i "error\|warn\|fail"
[    1.399155] Warning! fotg210_hcd should always be loaded before uhci_hcd and ohci_hcd, not after
[   44.005821] Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...
[   44.156275] ACPI Warning: \_SB.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20180810/nsarguments-66)
System info:

Code: Select all

root# inxi -Fxxz
System:    Host: fatdog64-2dd Kernel: 4.19.24 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 dm: xinit
           Distro: Fatdog64 Linux 800
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: X555LB v: 1.0 serial: <filter>
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X555LB v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: X555LB.204
           date: 01/13/2015
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 4.3 Wh condition: 17.5/37.3 Wh (47%) volts: 7.6/7.6 model: ASUSTeK X555-50 serial: <filter>
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-5500U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Broadwell rev: 4 L1 cache: 64 KiB
           L2 cache: 4096 KiB L3 cache: 4096 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19183
           Speed: 1838 MHz min/max: 500/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 799 3: 799 4: 799
Graphics:  Message: No Device data found.
           Display: server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nv,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.8 compat-v: 3.0
           direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: HDA Intel HDMI driver: HDA-Intel message: bus/chip ids unavailable
           Device-2: HDA Intel PCH driver: HDA-Intel message: bus/chip ids unavailable
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.24
Network:   Message: No Device data found.
           IF-ID-1: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           IF-ID-2: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 946.10 GiB used: 2.15 GiB (0.2%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MQ01ABD100 size: 931.51 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter>
           ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Edge size: 14.59 GiB serial: <filter>
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 172 Uptime: 17m Memory: 11.63 GiB used: 933.5 MiB (7.8%) Init: SysVinit v: N/A Compilers: gcc: N/A
           Shell: perl v: is running in: urxvt inxi: 3.0.32
Thank you for this great distro.
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

step

#9 Post by step »

Hi Corvus, thank you for your report. I think the first two message can be safely ignored. I have yet to see a linux kernel on my hardware that doesn't boot without those two messages.
The third message regards ACPI. Can your PC shutdown / suspend correctly?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

corvus

#10 Post by corvus »

Hi Step,
step wrote: The third message regards ACPI. Can your PC shutdown / suspend correctly?
Yes, Fatdog works perfectly on my machine.
Greetings

Edit: After a short research, it seems to be due to my Nvidia video card. The message is shown because Nvidia does not conform to the official ACPI specification.
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

Ron911

#11 Post by Ron911 »

Hi,
Just to let you know that fatdog64-800 runs OK on my small laptop.

I installed Fatdog64-800 besides Windows 10 with the help of Lick boot loader.
Then I updated the glsapt package manager and installed mplayer.
(Although I got an alert that dependency "libopenjpg" was missing I went ahead and installed it nonetheless.)
Then I put the anki-2.1.9-amd64.sfs (provided by JamesBond) on the hard drive and added it to Fatdog with the SFS loader.
And: Anki works perfectly, including the audio.

Thank you very very much JamesBond and Step, Fatdog 800 is here to stay om my Acer Aspire A111 31.

jake29

#12 Post by jake29 »

Thanks guys for all the hard work. Fatdog64-800 is very much appreciated by me and is my recommended Linux distro to all.

Gobbi

#13 Post by Gobbi »

A big Thank you ! to our developers team for their long and hard work and to all the testers for Fatdog64-800 Final .
A month ago I bought a NUC8i7BEH barebone , added the RAM modules and to my delight after I added the two bluetooth firmware files ibt-17-16-1.sfi and ibt-17-16-1.ddc into the /lib/firmware/intel/ folder , everything works so far : LAN , WiFi , bluetooth , card reader , audio - both analog and HDMI ( a bit buzzy ) , virtualization . I could not try the display port or the thunderbolt through the USB type C port as I don't have such a monitor .
I boot from a frugal install with no savefile from a partition on an USB using grub.
Now , trying to do as usual and remaster the base ISO , after adding some packages and made some graphic changes , brought me to an unusual behaviour .
When I do the remaster I copy the ISO file into the /tmp folder and then mount it . Then , during the remaster , I point to the mounted ISO file where vmlinuz is . For comodity I place the output also in the /tmp folder . I always choose the Standard initrd .
This time , the remastered ISO file had the initrd without the kernel-modules.sfs . I thought something went wrong because of something I've done modifying the base ISO , but after I repeated twice using the downloaded ISO without any change the result was the same .
I don't know if this is happening because of how I choose to mount the ISO - not using an optical drive . It should not be a matter of RAM as this machine has 32 GB .
Later I added manually the kernel-modules.sfs , repacked the initrd and all the work was not lost . Isomaster helped to create the valid ISO .

don570

#14 Post by don570 »

I installed the final version of fatdog64-800
(frugal install of two files) and booted up with no save file

There are two files
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
/usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list

gimp isn't listed as being associated with PNG

Does anybody know how they showed up in my install.

By the way I use
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
to launch an external app using appimage of mypaint
https://github.com/mypaint/mypaint/releases

don570

#15 Post by don570 »

I like compatibility with my nvidia gt 1030 card.
I was able to run blender 2.80
with nouveau driver only( no acceleration)

Here's xorg message:
Note: Output HDMI-1 using initial mode 1920x1080
That's my computer screen!!!

(II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
[ 18.742] RIVA TNT (NV04)
[ 18.742] RIVA TNT2 (NV05)
[ 18.742] GeForce 256 (NV10)
[ 18.742] GeForce 2 (NV11, NV15)
[ 18.742] GeForce 4MX (NV17, NV18)
[ 18.742] GeForce 3 (NV20)
[ 18.742] GeForce 4Ti (NV25, NV28)
[ 18.742] GeForce FX (NV3x)
[ 18.742] GeForce 6 (NV4x)
[ 18.742] GeForce 7 (G7x)
[ 18.742] GeForce 8 (G8x)
[ 18.742] GeForce GTX 200 (NVA0)
[ 18.742] GeForce GTX 400 (NVC0)
[ 18.742] (II) NOUVEAU driver
[ 18.742] (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
[ 18.742] RIVA TNT (NV04)
[ 18.742] RIVA TNT2 (NV05)
[ 18.742] GeForce 256 (NV10)
[ 18.742] GeForce 2 (NV11, NV15)
[ 18.742] GeForce 4MX (NV17, NV18)
[ 18.742] GeForce 3 (NV20)
[ 18.742] GeForce 4Ti (NV25, NV28)
[ 18.742] GeForce FX (NV3x)
[ 18.742] GeForce 6 (NV4x)
[ 18.743] GeForce 7 (G7x)
[ 18.743] GeForce 8 (G8x)
[ 18.743] GeForce GTX 200 (NVA0)
[ 18.743] GeForce GTX 400 (NVC0)
[ 18.743] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[ 18.743] (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
[ 18.743] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[ 18.743] (--) using VT number 4

[ 18.898] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output DVI-D-1 disconnected
[ 18.898] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output HDMI-1 connected
[ 18.898] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Using exact sizes for initial modes
[ 18.898] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output HDMI-1 using initial mode 1920x1080 +0+0

Attachments
screenshot-blender.png
(79.7 KiB) Downloaded 8277 times

don570

#16 Post by don570 »

I couldn't get KRITA appimage to work...

https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/

Segmentation error

proebler

#17 Post by proebler »

Gobbi wrote: .... Then , during the remaster , I point to the mounted ISO file where vmlinuz is . For comodity I place the output also in the /tmp folder . I always choose the Standard initrd .
This time , the remastered ISO file had the initrd without the kernel-modules.sfs . I thought something went wrong because of something I've done modifying the base ISO , but after I repeated twice using the downloaded ISO without any change the result was the same .
Gobbi, you have to point to vmlinuz itself, not just to its location.

Gobbi

#18 Post by Gobbi »

proebler wrote: Gobbi, you have to point to vmlinuz itself, not just to its location.
@proebler , I'm sorry , I did not express correctly the idea . Actually I point to the vmlinuz file from the mounted ISO file from the /tmp directory . I always did so in the past few years , not to burn optical discs as I did before .
Also I noted that /usr/sbin/filemnt script has changed it's behavior . Up to FD721 , any initrd I opened I was offered the opportunity to repack it even itf it was opened from inside a mounted ISO file or from a locked USB key . Now it doesn't do it anymore which I think it's closer to what it could do .

jamesbond

#19 Post by jamesbond »

Congratulations Gobbi you catch the first bug of 800 :?

I blamed stemsee :twisted: for this, if you read the last few posts of 800RC he asked for changes in the remaster process, which I complied, however, apparently I didn't test it enough. Hence the bug.

EDIT: Fix:
Use geany to open /usr/sbin/fatdog-remaster.sh.
Go to line 377.
At the beginning of that line, change the word "std" with "standard" (without the quotes).

Or you can install the hotfix as explained in this post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 26#1019926.

---

As for behaviour of filemnt on initrd - yes, this is expected. There is no point offering to re-pack it if the original initrd is located in read-only media.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Gobbi

#20 Post by Gobbi »

Thank you for fixing the issue , jamesbond :!: I'm glad to see it's easy to fix , now .