How to get RedShiftGUI running in Tahrpup64 6.05...

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mike Walsh

How to get RedShiftGUI running in Tahrpup64 6.05...

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Back in the days when I ran XP full-time, I used to use f.Lux for night-time use. For those of you who don't know what this very useful app does, it basically turns your monitor to a warmer, reddish hue during the hours of darkness.

Why? I hear you say. As it happens, research has shown that the blue-white light emitted by computer monitors tends to adversely affect your sleep patterns. Reddish light, on the other hand, does not.....and your sleep should be as restful as usual.

Well, it works for me.....

When I moved to Puppy, I found that f.Lux, although available for Pup, was command-line only.....and a total PITA to set-up, at that. Searching around revealed the equivalent app called RedShiftGUI (which to my mind, in fact works better).

I originally used only 32-bit Pups, despite the fact that my old Compaq desktop has always been 64-bit capable. I discovered the .pet for RedShift, in stu90's thread, from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59285

However, the link for this one is now dead. Pelo, however, alerted me to the fact that it was still available from the German repositories, further down in the same thread, and I have been using it regularly ever since, in all my 32-bitzers.

Recently, I've started using the two 64-bit 'flagship' Pups; Tahr64, and Slacko64. Even with 32-bit compatability libs, the 32-bit version won't work. RedShift was available through the PPM.....but it still wouldn't work. So I searched around for a 64-bit version, and found it at GitHub, here:-

https://github.com/maoserr/redshiftgui/downloads

The 64-bit .deb package installs into Tahr64 without a murmur. However, upon starting it for the first time in the terminal (I've got into the habit of always doing this with new apps, to see what problems might crop up), it returns the following error:-

Code: Select all

root# /usr/bin/redshiftgui
Error: PM:[opt_parse_map] Map empty.
Hm, I thought. Odd. Anyway, I Googled the error, and found this, also at GitHub (evidently, the problem is obviously a long-standing one, given that this version of RedShift is now over 6 yrs old):-

https://github.com/maoserr/redshiftgui/issues/13

The given 'fix' is to locate the hidden config file .redshiftgrc in the user's home folder. Well, that's Ubuntu; in Puppy, the config file is located in /root. (To show it, use the 'eye' icon in the ROX menu bar). If you open the config file with Geany, you'll find the following:-

min
temps=6500:3600
latlon=52.779999:0.430000
speed=1
method=Auto
map=177.00|100.00;3.00|100.00;-6.00|0.00;-174.00|0.00;
The 'latlon' in line 3 is my personal geographical coordinates. Yours will, of course, be different.

What you need to do is to replace each of the 'pipe' symbols ('|') in line 6 with a comma (','), so that it reads like this:-

min
temps=6500:3600
latlon=52.779999:0.430000
speed=1
method=Auto
map=177.00,100.00;3.00,100.00;-6.00,0.00;-174.00,0.00;
Save, and close Geany. Now, when you fire it up from the Utility menu, it will run. You'll see a red 'lightbulb' symbol appear in the tray. Left-click on it, and you'll get a window as shown in my post here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 421#868421

To set it up, simply follow the instructions I outlined for step in the same post.

Sweet dreams, everybody!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

Thanks Mike, I will try it.

I tried it 2 years back when I first came to puppy and failed.
I have used tinting apps on my smartphone. Now it's inbuilt in system. It shades automatically with time too.
Maybe you could do that on PC too, using cron maybe.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, drunkjedi.

I doubt there's any need to use cron at all. Redshift begins the reddening of the screen output, depending on your geographical location, i.e., when sunset is for you.

As for the transition itself, you can alter it from instantaneous (which I don't like) all the way down to a single 1K/second.....which is what I use myself. I prefer the transition to be so gradual that I don't notice it!

You can also set the lower limit, depending on your personal tastes. It goes down to 3400K; I prefer it to 'bottom out' around the 3600K mark.

I've been trying this out in Slacko 64. For some reason, the 64-bit version refuses to admit it's even been installed. The original 32-bit version, however, when used with the 32-bit compatibility libs, for some reason does work.....although the text is all replaced with little tiny squares, instead of letters & numbers. I still have it working, though, by using my other installations as a guide to what's where in the Settings & Location windows.....

To auto-start it from boot, simply drag the the entry in /usr/bin across to /root/Startup, and sym-link it back with 'Link(Absolute)'. Works a treat.

Coupla tips. When you bring it up for the first time, by left-clicking on the 'red light bulb' icon on the taskbar, and want to 'close' it when you've finished with setting it up (without closing the app itself), use the 'Hide' button. Took me a few attempts to figure that one out! Otherwise, you'll need to re-start it from the 'Utility' or 'System' menus, depending on where your Pup's put it. Some use one, and some use the other.

A right-click on the icon (at night) instantly returns you to full daytime brightness. A second right-click then recommences the 'transition cycle' again.

The 'Preview' button in the main window shows you the sun's relative position & height, as the cycle turns. Quite fun to watch!

Let us know how you get on with it, will ya? Cheers.

drunkjedi

#4 Post by drunkjedi »

I didn't knew it's so sophisticated to guess sun position etc.
At that time I just looked at it. Will definitely try it out soon and report back.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

drunkjedi wrote:I didn't knew it's so sophisticated to guess sun position etc.
At that time I just looked at it. Will definitely try it out soon and report back.
Yep. All worked out via your latitude & longitude. It's a pretty sophisticated app, underneath the rather 'Plain Jane' façade. And it does 'exactly what it says on the tin', to quote a British TV ad campaign from a few years back..!

I've definitely noticed an improvement in my sleep patterns since starting to use first f.Lux, and now this...

drunkjedi

#6 Post by drunkjedi »

Hey Mike,
The deb file from github installed and didn't give me any map empty error while starting from terminal.
Although it gave config file empty error. But that I think was related to first start.

I looked in config file .redshiftgrc and saw it already had "," and no pipe.
Do you think the error on your part maybe because of some old config file? From your previous attempts may be...

And I had to search my city as IP could't determine where I was.
May be because of router or firewall, I don't know. But that's fine.

The preview shows nicely.

But can't test the transition in real-time this week as I am in evening shift at work.
Will tell you later.

Thanks again.

I use this tinting on smartphone and know it really lessens strain on eyes in dim light reading.

Recommended for everyone.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, drunkjedi.

My bad.

You do need to enter your latitude/longitude manually when you first set it up. Sorry if I gave the impression that it 'auto-locates' itself; even RedShift isn't quite that clever..! :lol:

Easy enough to locate your co-ordinates through Google, or Google Maps. Though I have exactly the same IP problem; Google cannot locate me accurately, neither.

Sorry! :oops:

drunkjedi

#8 Post by drunkjedi »

I didn't have to manually input lat/long.
I just selected "Search Address" from drop-down menu and put my city, it found and got coordinates nicely.
Thanks friend.

gychang

works in BionicPup64!

#9 Post by gychang »

thanks for experts, got the deb file downloaded, moved the redshiftgui into Startup as detailed, and locate my geolocation manually and walla!.

PPM redshift download does not work, and I had to uninstall first before the deb file install.