nicOS-Remaster

Miscellaneous tools
nic007

#61 Post by nic007 »

Made some changes to the Remaster-Auto-Final (Choose to customise version).
1) The application will ask you to choose to customise or not at the start before any compression is done. This is more convenient for the user as the application will then proceed and finish the process in auto mode.
2) Changed the compression to gzip. This is faster but will yield a bigger remastered sfs file as with xz compression for example. Some people have huge savefiles/folders so this will shorten the time of the total process.

Note: When I tested the script, I used Tahr with changes saved to a savefolder. After doing the remaster, I discovered that I could neither rename nor delete the savefolder during the same session. So this is what I did: after remaster > moved the remastered files from / to a partition of the drive > I use grub4dos as bootloader so edited the menu.lst file by adding pfix=ram to the Tahr (in my case) entry to be able to boot without the savefolder > rebooted > I could now delete or rename the savefolder and the old files > moved the remastered files to the tahr folder and rebooted. The pfix=ram entry should be removed if you are going to use a new savefile/folder. Instead of editing menu.lst one can edit the commandline at the grub4dos bootup screen but that's a bit more technical.

Script uploaded to first post.

rockedge

#62 Post by rockedge »

the one which works for me the best...almost perfectly is....
Remasterpup-Updated-Experimental

makes the remaster of a working zoneminder system on tahr,xenial and so far bionic, that will have all components functioning out of the box.

nic007

#63 Post by nic007 »

rockedge wrote:the one which works for me the best...almost perfectly is....
Remasterpup-Updated-Experimental

makes the remaster of a working zoneminder system on tahr,xenial and so far bionic, that will have all components functioning out of the box.
Specially designed for your needs, not mainstream. :) Actually - just checked that version again. It seems that my later releases are based on that.

rockedge

#64 Post by rockedge »

I used it to remaster a Tahr and Xenial running real time kernels and recording software as well as equipped with software synthesizers for some musician friends to see what happened .... you know finished systems for guys who play music and can do the basic computer stuff to run it. Like boot from a USB stick

worked perfectly both times. On top of the successful zoneminder system remasters.

rockedge

#65 Post by rockedge »

now I am the hero because if they screw it up all I have to do is delete the save folder and reboot.

nic007

#66 Post by nic007 »

I haven't been using a savefile/folder for ages and I also don't do remasters. I use an adrv instead to save small changes (my adrv is about 2MB) and use sfs-addons for additional applications. I don't install anything.

nic007

#67 Post by nic007 »

Added nicOS-Remaster-Suite to first post. This (hopefully) concludes my work on the remaster of Puppy. I've made some changes so users are encouraged to download this suite as replacement for my previous scripts which has been deleted.

rockedge

#68 Post by rockedge »

thank you nic007! Nice work..well done and very useful. I replace in all my remasters the stock remaster scripts and now include this Suite in it's place.

mikeslr

Tips

#69 Post by mikeslr »

In response to a question I asked, nic007 posted some valuable information on this thread, starting here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 76#1016376 and continuing here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 10#1016410.

mikeslr

Small Wrinkle with Unattended

#70 Post by mikeslr »

Hi nic007 & All,

I think I've tried all the available Remaster applications and find your Remaster Suite the best among them. If I haven't already, and even if I have, a BIG THANK YOU.

If I'm remastering with intention to use the remaster on the same computer, Unattended Remaster works perfectly. And even if I'm going to transport it to a different computer the wrinkle which occurs is actually a benefit. 8)

When booting into a Puppy the first time, the initial application which runs is the same one you can always initiate via Menu>Setup: QuickSetup first run settings.. After an unattended remaster, however, the initial display is the GUI for Internet Connection Settings. "first-run" is never automatically initiated. As there are several ways to make any adjustments to Local, Timezone and such this isn't a major problem, and actually reduces the amount of time necessary to setup a Remastered Puppy on one's own other computers. When changing from one computer to another employing a different monitor, the Remaster does 'make a reasonable guess' at display dimensions. And Xorg Video Wizard can be run if necessary. The worst effect is that some desktop icons properly displaying on the original, larger monitor overlap each other on the second, smaller monitor.

I'm guessing that with a 'not remastered' Puppy, there must be some file or setting which tells it that "first-run" hasn't been run which, when you create a SaveFile/Folder, is deleted, or 'toggled-off'. The remaster incorporate the condition of when a SaveFile exists.

I was wondering how I can recover the initial display of "first-run" when creating a remaster to be used by others who may not be as familiar with how to set up a Puppy for their computers.

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

ITSMERSH

#71 Post by ITSMERSH »

Just remove /etc/personal_settings_popup_disabled before remastering to keep the "first run settings" automated after first boot.

mikeslr

#72 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks ITSMERHS,

Easy enough solution. :D

ITSMERSH

#73 Post by ITSMERSH »

I should have added, this needs to be done with /tmp/etc/personal_settings_popup_disabled when using default puppy remaster script.

Can't say if there's a option to customize /etc since I don't know nic's remaster scripts.

oui

#74 Post by oui »

And to avoid the pop question saveORnot at reboot / shutdown time?

(as if a save file/dir is available, Puppy saves automatic, it would be enough and good if the default value would be "N" and not "Y" as it is but it seem to complex to be for the most of our system designers... nothing to do else to adapt the default value :oops: )

nic007

#75 Post by nic007 »

oui wrote:And to avoid the pop question saveORnot at reboot / shutdown time?

(as if a save file/dir is available, Puppy saves automatic, it would be enough and good if the default value would be "N" and not "Y" as it is but it seem to complex to be for the most of our system designers... nothing to do else to adapt the default value :oops: )
You can remove or comment out the "save session" section in the /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown script (in this case there will be no pop-up screen) OR change the timeout interval for the pop-up screen in the /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig script (eg: 3 seconds in which case the popup will only show for 3 seconds).

nic007

#76 Post by nic007 »

I'm releasing a revised version of the nicOS-Remaster Options tool.

Change log:

1. The previous version (as is the case with Puppy's builtin tool) copies the /root, /etc and /var directories to /tmp of the running file system. The result is that RAM or savefile space will be occupied by the contents of these folders even if you have chosen another working partition. This revised version addresses this issue. Your chosen partition will now handle the full remastered process (unless you choose the RAM option). Note that you can choose a partition with a non-linux filesystem (like ntfs and FAT) as your working partition.
2. The compression options have changed.
3. Some other minor stuff.

Attached to first post.

nic007

#77 Post by nic007 »

I've reworked the ISO section of the Revised Options version to make it more compact and user friendly. Try it instead. Added to opening post, replacing the previous one. The whole remaster process now comprises of 5 (4 if you only remaster the base sfs) steps, ie:
1. Choose your working partition
2. Choose to make an iso or only remaster the base sfs
3. Choose to copy files from the distribution's live-cd or iso (only for iso making).
4. Choose the compression method
5. Choose to save hardware settings (customise) or not and opportunity to make final changes.

nic007

#78 Post by nic007 »

Uploaded revised version of the auto remaster tool. Added to first post.

nic007

#79 Post by nic007 »

I'm releasing the revised nicOS-Remaster-Suite as an sfs-addon. I've made changes to the final product. Replacing all previous scripts. Attached to first post.

nic007

#80 Post by nic007 »

I've made a few very small changes. This will be the last upload (well, until something significantly changes in future). Attached to first post.