LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#981 Post by Marv »

Updated my LxPupBionic 18.05 +16 to 18.05 +21 on the Fujitsu S761 i5 based laptop. As in upupbb, I use the 4.9.134 kernel from upupcc. Brief use but dmesg, video FPS, sound, SNS connection, sylpheed & Slimmie from SFS all fine.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

#982 Post by Marv »

+21 surprised me. After some days use, I found a 'bug'. Evince in +21 segfaults on very large pdfs, 150Mb or more for sure. I don't know the exact breakpoint. Tax forms, image heavy segments of a service manual about 10Mb are ok, the whole manuals segfault consistently. Happens in a pristine +21 install, in an update from +16, with the stock kernel and with 4.9.134 from upupcc. Evince in the current upupbb, upupcc, and IIRC LxPupSc64 and LxPupSc doesn't. I've reverted to +16 and it's fine there. Posting from +16 now. Just opened the 174Mb electrical manual with Slimmie running and it's ok. This is on my Fujitsu S761 i5 workhorse, 4Gb ram etc.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#983 Post by peebee »

501afc55eef15e07a8fe732e85748ab0 LxPupBionic-18.05+23.iso

{delta update}

based on UPupBB-18.05+23

has evince fix as reported by @Marv
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

serkann

#984 Post by serkann »

i cant install browsers, "Get Browser" doesn't work.

peebee

#985 Post by peebee »

serkann wrote:i cant install browsers, "Get Browser" doesn't work.
Hmmmm - works fine for me.............

Have you:

- connected to the internet?
- rebooted and created a savefolder / savefile?

Both are essential prerequisites.

If you have - need more details of your install and what exactly you mean by "doesn't work" - what do you see?????????????
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#986 Post by peebee »

Marv

#987 Post by Marv »

Six days or so on LxPupBionic 18.05 +28. As usual, frugal Grub4Dos install to SSD on the Fujitsu S761 i5 based laptop. First a pristine test, then running an update from +23 using the 4.9.134 kernel from upupcc. As usual, solid as bricks. Both system checks and daily use perfect.

Thanks,

peebee

#988 Post by peebee »

Last edited by peebee on Sat 27 Apr 2019, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#989 Post by Moat »

Running great here, peebee... :D Sound, video/Youtube on Light, WiFi - all good. An awful lot of Pup in just a ~290 Mb iso (and folks complain of Puppy bloat... sheesh!)

One small note; Running the included conky required the additional installation of libreadline5_5.2+dfsg from the PPM (complained of missing libhistory.so.5, I believe. I just guessed on the libreadline package... and it ran. :lol: ).

Thanks! 8)

Bob

Code: Select all

System:    Host: puppypc66 Kernel: 4.9.163-lxpup-32-pae i686 bits: 32
           Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1) Distro: BionicPup32 19.03
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 380 serial: 62B2LN1
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN7XN v: A01 serial: ..CN1374007U08KF.
           BIOS: Dell v: A01 date: 03/11/2010
CPU:       Dual core Pentium E5400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2000 MHz 2: 2000 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 x86/MMX/SSE2
           version: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.8
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.163-lxpup-32-pae
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
           driver: tg3
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: f0:4d:a2:24:1c:26
           Card-2: NetGear WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]
           driver: ath9k_htc
           IF: wlx08bd437baf6a state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDS72101 size: 160.0GB
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 173 Uptime: 1:19 Memory: 487.3/3936.4MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56 

peebee

#990 Post by peebee »

11-may-2019

8efc43e8645ef0487d521da0474f0947 LxPupBionic-19.03+5.iso

+ delta update from 19.03.0

based on BionicPup32-8.0+5

peebee

#991 Post by peebee »

15-jun-2019

7b1d75bc4ce504d053ac1fec6607f9ae LxPupBionic-19.03+7.iso

based on BionicPup32-8.0+7

LXDE components updated

peebee

#992 Post by peebee »

28-oct-2019

28066ebbe17b47433e601b0cfc963b22 LxPupBionic-19.03+14.iso

based on BionicPup32-8.0+14

enrique

Re: LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

#993 Post by enrique »

Subito Piano

#994 Post by Subito Piano »

Enrique -- I don't know your particular reasons for looking for 64-bit LX Bionic, nor the machine you are using, but do you realize that there is no performance difference between 32-bit and 64-bit unless you have over 4GB RAM?
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

enrique

#995 Post by enrique »

Subito Piano wrote: ...there is no performance difference between 32-bit and 64-bit...
I agree with you. And from my test Xenial x86 is my preferred. But to move to the latest Ubuntu LTS I need Bionic. I am testing and learning at the moment with LxPupBionic-18.05+4 x86. And for x64 issue I am trying Bionicpup64 8.0 CE. But I get really confuse some times, I am custom to WM LXDE.
Subito Piano wrote:... unless you have over 4GB RAM?
Not really my Laptop has 8GB, but LxPupBionic-18.05+4 has a pae kernel. That should allow my x86CPU to manage the full 8GB.

Why 64 bit? Well I come from Win7. And refuse to move to Win10. I have no Idea how people get to used it. So I am at the moment trying to stop using Windows at all. Problem is I do use a few resources that requires Win7. Some are x64. I have setup Wine in LxPupBionic-18.05+4. Most of my programs from Win7 do work fine. But I have a few x64 that I can not make them work. For that I need Wine x64 that requires a x64 Linux base.

I did play with Woolf CE building Kernels a few moth ago. I had a need to hook a Satellte TV USB Tuner and used a very old Laptop that had no HDD. So Puppy Linux made the day. That is how I started with Puppy.

Now I will be happy If I get guidance with Wolf CE in orther to build an LXDE Full Puppy, Again any help is appreciated.

Subito Piano

#996 Post by Subito Piano »

Hmm...the only quick solution I have is to load a fresh copy of Bionic 64-bit, start Puppy Package Manager, and download first the LXDE-core package (%MB with dependencies), and then all the other LXDE packages you would like. It may get rather chunky though...these wonderful people that make the pet packages know how to really cut those packages down to size....

....but if you are experimenting, then why not try it?

----------

Just before sending this, I poked around the web -- there IS an "experimental" version of 64-bit LXPup. Go to LxPupSc64 - 64bit version of Puppy with the LXDE desktop on this forum.

Keep us posted!
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

enrique

#997 Post by enrique »

Subito Piano wrote:Hmm...the only quick solution I have is to load a fresh copy of Bionic 64-bit, start Puppy Package Manager, and download ...
Exactly I had try that. Lubuntu => LXDE => LXDE-core We can read more at: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=lxde

I did try using LXDE.deb packages. I does not work. At least you need a way to switch from JVM like: "Switch LXDE <-> JWM desktop environments" So It still failing. My best guess is that those packages failed because are designed to accommodate a MULTI-USER-SESSION and Puppy Is designed as a single User environment.
Subito Piano wrote:...Just before sending this, I poked around the web -- there IS an "experimental" version of 64-bit LXPup. Go to LxPupSc64 - 64bit version of Puppy with the LXDE desktop on this forum....
That is based on Slackware64 Current not Ubuntu.

But guess what I found in the x86 Slackware Files a SFS called "64bit-compat-sc64-19.06.sfs" see:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/spup/f ... it-compat/

UHHH! if they can add 64bit-compat-sc64 to an x86, why we can not do it too???????.

WOOF! Another Frankenstein on the making... This week I had made dozens of Little Frankenstein. Funny part is that they all boot as the kernels are good. But as soon as I try to load packages, it is when I see all failing. HEHEHEHEHE.

So I will try to build this SFS with Ubuntu Files using Slackware sample.
Another Idea is read if Ubuntu have a deb package designed to do that!!

I bet you soon one of the gurus guys here are going to point us out to the exact recipe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PD: I did search for ubuntu package. It goes from PLEASE do not do that ( 3 years or more) to YES it is some what done all ready, that is called Multiarch see

https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

Now I had work with multirach but in Lubuntu AMD64. Never build a AMD64 program from x86 Lubuntu!!!

I bet you it will never work for me as Puppy Package Manager will want to ONLY install I360 packages!!

I guess as I ONLY want to run Wine 64 bit the SFS that provides compatibility for programs may work as long as I get all the necessary libraries. That should work for me until I finally find/build the appropriate LXPup64.

peebee

#998 Post by peebee »

enrique wrote:What I m looking is LxPupBionic64 (Ubuntu flavour).
Hi enrique

Good to have your interest and enthusiasm....

64-bit systems are more complicated than 32-bit systems due to the different ways that lib64 libraries are implemented and Ubuntu is more complicated than Slackware in this regard and also in the way it splits packages up into a multitude of smaller packages (my thoughts anyway).

So you're right - I've never done a 64-bit Ubuntu based LxPup - way too complicated for me!

There is of course Lubuntu - but that's now gone to LXQt instead of LXDE for future versions.... but 18.04 Bionic is still LXDE based.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Cheers
PeeBee

enrique

#999 Post by enrique »

I am impressed with the forum, I had received help from two guys in less than 12 hours. And peebee is even the original author of the topic. Nice guys.
enrique wrote:What I m looking is LxPupBionic64 (Ubuntu flavour).
Yes my Ideal solution.
peebee wrote:...64-bit systems are more complicated than 32-bit systems due to the different ways that lib64 libraries are implemented and Ubuntu is more complicated than Slackware...
That is OK I understand. I am not asking to be given the final product. But At least show me How I can try build it my self. My best guess Is that I will have to use Woof CE. But what I do not know is if LXDE/Ubuntu is one of the options available? I need to do that Assignment next.
Or in the other hand if you can offer me the addon recipe for LXDE.

What do you know about "64bit-compat-sc64-19.06.sfs" in https://sourceforge.net/projects/spup/f ... it-compat/ ?

THANKSSSSS in Advance.

peebee

#1000 Post by peebee »

enrique wrote:How I can try build it my self. My best guess Is that I will have to use Woof CE. But what I do not know is if LXDE/Ubuntu is one of the options available? I need to do that Assignment next.
Or in the other hand if you can offer me the addon recipe for LXDE.
BionicPup64 build recipe:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... u/bionic64

LxPupSc64 build recipe (also in /var/packages) and components:
http://smokey01.com/peebee/LxPupSc64/

Some "noarch" components may be in:
http://smokey01.com/peebee/slackocurrent/lxpup/

Use pkgs.org to find Ubuntu LXDE components - e.g.:
https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-un ... 4.deb.html

These are the extra components for LxPupSc64:

Code: Select all

yes|fontconfig_config||exe,dev,doc			# .deb renamed
yes|apulse||exe								# .pet from .debian
yes|mplayer_libcdio16_fix||exe				# libcdio-16 for MPlayer-1.3.0-x86_64_s701
yes|openssl10-solibs|openssl10-solibs|exe	# fix for sylpheed-3.5.1

yes|imlib2|imlib2|exe,dev,doc,nls			# ponce
yes|keybinder|keybinder|exe,dev,doc,nls		# current
yes|libgee|libgee|exe,dev,doc,nls 			# salix
yes|libwnck|libwnck|exe,dev,doc,nls			# current
yes|patch|patch|exe,dev,doc,nls				# current
yes|gvfs|gvfs,fuse3|exe,dev,doc,nls			# current
yes|gvfs_libs_sc64||exe						# .pet
yes|pup-volume-monitor||exe,dev,doc,nls		# .pet
yes|menu-cache|menu-cache|exe,dev,doc,nls	# ponce
yes|openbox|openbox|exe,dev,doc,nls 		# ponce
yes|ob64_rounded||exe						# .pet from .deb
yes|obconf||exe,dev,doc,nls 				# .tgz
yes|lxpanel|lxpanel|exe,dev,doc,nls			# ponce
yes|lxmenu-data|lxmenu-data|exe,dev,doc,nls	# ponce
yes|lxde_puppy_menu||exe					# .pet
yes|libfm|libfm|exe,dev,doc,nls 			# ponce
yes|libfm-extra|libfm-extra|exe,dev,doc,nls # ponce
yes|pcmanfm|pcmanfm|exe,dev,doc,nls			# ponce
yes|lxrandr|lxrandr|exe,dev,doc,nls			# ponce
yes|lxsession|lxsession|exe,dev,doc,nls		# ponce
yes|lxtask|lxtask|exe,dev,doc,nls			# ponce
yes|lxterminal|lxterminal|exe,dev,doc,nls	# ponce
yes|lxshortcut||exe,dev,doc,nls 			# .txz
yes|lxpup_look_sc64||exe,dev,doc,nls		# .pet
yes|lxpup_apps_sc64||exe,dev,doc,nls		# .pet
no|PupMenu_LxConfig||exe					# .pet		#later
yes|lx_gtk3_prep||exe						# .pet
yes|zz_lxpup_config_sc64||exe,dev,doc,nls	# .pet