How to overwrite pup_214.sfs files with xxx.sfs files?

Using applications, configuring, problems
giac_fab

How to overwrite pup_214.sfs files with xxx.sfs files?

#1 Post by giac_fab »

I want that some files on a xxx.sfs overwrite some files on pup_214.sfs, but I don't want edit pup_214.sfs

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

One way I have done it:

- Rename your xxx.sfs so it does not load when you boot.
- Boot into puppy (without the xxx.sfs)
- Rename the files you want over written (ie. xxx.xxx_old)
- Rename the xxx.sfs back to original.
- reboot
- make symlinks from the xxx.sfs to the files that you want "overwritten" and renamed earlier.
- reboot.

I have actually done this with full directories.

Alternatively, if you have plenty of space on the hd, just copy/rename your good pup_214 (backup just in case) and overwrite the files in the pup-214 that you boot into. If things don't work out, delete and reuse the one you renamed.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

giac_fab

#3 Post by giac_fab »

ok, this can be a way, but long and difficult because :

I want make an application.sfs (opera, open office, wine ecc ecc) that have already into it the settings of my desktop, a customized menu, and various other settings.

I want to do this becouse I like to try every time the new upgrade of puppy and I want to have an OS that became clear only deleting my pup_save.

The way to make that I want is that puppy consider my xxx.sfs as an pup_save (you know that files on pup_save overwrite the ones on pup_214.sfs) but read-only

I think that it is possibile , but I think I must edit INITRD.GZ ( or rc.local ) but I don't now how to do it.