Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 11 Dec 2019, 00:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
DevuanDog 'Beowulf' [DISCONTINUED]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 9 [128 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 05:40    Post subject:  

Hi Ken, I think I see what was causing the problem for you at first with the keyboard-layout setting, must have to do with changing locale first.
I tested by changing locale to Dutch, then ran keyboard-layout and got the same as you described, see pic.

Although I have no idea yet what's wrong exactly (the fonts are russian (and french), I think Rolling Eyes ), an easy workaround is (to show english):
Code:
LANG=C keyboard-layout

Thanks again for testing !

EDIT: Looks like there's a bug in the newer version of package "keyboard-configuration", installed the (older) Stretch version and problem is solved (showing all in my language):
--link removed--
EDIT2: No, the stretch version breaks console-setup, so no option.

Fred
keyboard-layout-after-changing-locale.png
 Description   keyboard-layout after changing locale
 Filesize   90.66 KB
 Viewed   754 Time(s)

keyboard-layout-after-changing-locale.png

zagreb999

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 08:04    Post subject:  

in stretchdog xfce keyboard-layout setting
all is ok!

regards
keniv

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 12:58    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

Quote:
I think I see what was causing the problem for you at first with the keyboard-layout setting, must have to do with changing locale first.
I tested by changing locale to Dutch, then ran keyboard-layout and got the same as you described, see pic.

Although I have no idea yet what's wrong exactly (the fonts are russian (and french), I think Rolling Eyes ), an easy workaround is (to show english):
Code:
LANG=C keyboard-layout

I'm glad you could reproduce my problem. I assume I did not get it with your update as I tried to set up the key board first. Thanks for the info on getting a UK keyboard from the command line.
In your update you changed from firefox to palemoon. I am having trouble in setting up palemoon. I've used it before so I don't think it's me. If I choose "Preferences" I cannot open the the boxes to by clicking on them. It opens on "General" and I can make changes to this like change the startup page. I have a similar problem with the bookmarks toolbar. I can right click on an item and can choose "Properties", however I cannot left click anywhere in the name panel to edit the it. I also noticed when the palemoon "start me" startup page appears it runs my CPU at almost 100%. I have set the startup page to duckduckgo lite. I usually use this. CPU is 18-25%, ram 256 of 1690MB. Is "start me" very demanding on resources?

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 14:05    Post subject:  

Hi Ken, thanks for the feedback, I have not much experience with Palemoon, thought it would be more light than the newest Firefox (saw some reports on this forum that Firefox Quantum uses extreme amount of RAM in some cases, even much more than Chromium or Chrome).
Could it be that earlier Palemoon versions don't have the problems you mentioned ?

I'll test Palemoon some more and get back later about it.

Fred

backi

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 14:38    Post subject:  

Hi Keniv !
Encountered all the same Problems with the new 28.x Palemoon you did.
Don't know why .
Maybe delete your old .moonchildproduction Folder and start from Scratch ????----(but make a Backup).
Maybe my Machine (single Core ---1Gig Ram ) is to old/weak to handle the " new" Palemoon.
So i simply returned back to Palemoon 27.9.4. It just flies on my old Clunker ....I am happy with it and do no longer worry about those Quirks with Palemonn 28.x.

Regards !.
6502coder

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 15:00    Post subject:  

@backi, keniv

Regarding your problems with Preferences in PaleMoon 28, see solution here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1015395#1015395
backi

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2019, 15:15    Post subject:  

Hi 6502coder !

Tried again Palemoon 28.3.1 ..with Advice from here :

Quote:
the new palemoon seems to have issues with some intel drivers and you can't select items in palemoons preferences. a fix is type about:config into the address bar and set browser.preferences.animateFadeIn to true

Seems to help.....now even works faster !

Edit:-------or maybe not (faster)

Probably keep Palemoon 27.9.4
keniv

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2019, 10:08    Post subject:  

@Fredx181

Quote:

Thanks Fred, It's not what I experience when using palemoon previously (see below).

@backi

Quote:
Encountered all the same Problems with the new 28.x Palemoon you did.

Yes I use Palemoon 27.9.4 SEE on an old Toshiba laptop ( 1xCPU 800MHz 320 MB) It worked well on this and was the only browser I could use that could be considered up to date. I am posting from it now. I was sorry when updating it was discontinued. Did not give any of the problems I've had with 28. I do know the SEE version was for less well speced machines.

@6502coder

Quote:
Regarding your problems with Preferences in PaleMoon 28, see solution here:

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it tonight. I'll see if I can get the improvements backi got. Even being able to set it up would be a big help.

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2019, 12:23    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
@Fredx181

Quote:

Thanks Fred, It's not what I experience when using palemoon previously (see below).

OK, tested now and didn't experience the problem with the Preferences setting (apparently I don't have the intel graphics that may cause it), but, indeed, as you said the "start.me" page consumes too much CPU, and not only at first time run, btw.
I'd like to include a modern and up-to-date browser (and as light as possible) in DevuanDog, hopefully in the next Palemoon version these issues are solved, we'll see...

@backi and @6502coder, thanks for the info.

Fred

keniv

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2019, 16:40    Post subject:  

Hi All,
I've used the link provided by 6502 coder an have set up palemoon but I still can't edit the names in the bookmarks toolbar. I have tried to install ublock via Tools-Add-ons but I'm only offered "ublock origin updater" (but not ublock origin) and "ABPrime". I have tried to install ublock using the methods in this link (sorry I can copy but am not given the option to paste the link). The site is Palemoon Forum and thread is "How to install uBlock Origin in Palemoon 27" This fails. I could not find a method for palemoon 28. Has anybody got experience of using ABPrime. I've not even heard of it. For me there is already a lot I don't like about 28 as compared with 27 or even the version of firefox in the first iso.

@Fredx181

Quote:
I'd like to include a modern and up-to-date browser (and as light as possible) in DevuanDog, hopefully in the next Palemoon version these issues are solved, we'll see...

Do we know if there is a palemoon update due? The 27 version I use is, I feel, better than firefox.

Regards,

Ken.
backi

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2019, 17:02    Post subject:  

Hi keniv !
Think there is no need to update Palemoon to Version 28.3.1 (or so).
I just do not care for it any longer....cause my Machine (Intel) is not able to handle it .Just gives me Trouble .
Just keep 27.9.4 SSE..... and everything will be fine .
6502coder

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2019, 03:58    Post subject:  

After seeing the audio problems with Firefox Quantum and the new dependence on Gtk3 in SeaMonkey cause multiple reports in different places in the forum, I thought it a post in the HOW TO section would be a good way to forestall similar redundant reports of this problem with Intel graphics and 28.x -- so I took the liberty of doing so. With luck, if anyone hears of a fix for the shortcuts editing, they'll post in my thread.
keniv

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb 2019, 17:28    Post subject:  

Hello All,
I've tried the methods to improve v28.3.1 on intel machines outlined in 6502coders How-To below.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115266 .

This has made a further improvement as far as speed is concerned. However, I cannot install an add blocker. This is an essential for me. I have a couple of Raspberry Pis. Both use raspbian stretch. The browser is chrome. I have seen both .pets and .sfs for chrome on this forum. I know people don't like the google link but the version of chrome I use on the Raspberry Pi gives my a lot more control and a great deal less trouble than palemoon v28.3.1. Can I therefore suggest that chrome be considered as a possible contender as a browser for DevuanDog.
keniv

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2019, 11:12    Post subject:  

Hello All,
Thanks to further help received on the thread in the link in my previous post I've now got uBlock installed on palemoon 28.3.1. This, together with the other improvements, makes palemoon a usable browser for me again.

Regards,

Ken.
musher0

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2019, 14:57    Post subject:  

Hello, Keniv and all.

In palemoon, there is a place where you can block the external images of the
"start.me" page -- or of any page, if your computer, like mine, has limited
resources and is not so strong. Otherwise, palemoon is a very good browser.

FYI. IHTH

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Page 3 of 9 [128 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: